Daz Studio 4.21[.0.x] Pro, General Release!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited November 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.21 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.21.0.5
  • Date: October 12, 2022

Highlights:

Important Notes:

Known Issues:

• Windows
    • Executables are unsigned
      • User Account Control (UAC) prompt is yellow with unknown publisher instead of blue with publisher name
    • A regression (nvbugs 3838022in NVIDIA drivers after 517.40 cause dForce (OpenCL) simulation to fail
      • This issue is discretely mentioned in the Open Issues section of the driver release notes
      • NVIDIA has identified and fixed the issue - the fix is in the process of being validated
      • A Game Ready Driver (GRD)/Studio Driver (SD), 526.98, with the fix is expected to be available on 11/10 11/16
      • An Enterprise Driver with the fix is expected to be available on 11/16 11/28
  • macOS
    • Big Sur
      • Styling issues on (horizontal) tabbars, (horizontal) tabs, buttons, frames
      • Interactive Lessons draw opaque over the UI, obstructing view of the UI
      • Color selection uses Qt (4) standard color picker - not the macOS native color picker
    • Installation via Install Manager or DazCentral is recommended
      • Installation via standalone application/plugin installers may require an addition to Gatekeeper's exceptions and approved application launch list (via the Command Line)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

• 4.21.0.5 (October 12, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.91 (October 5, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.88 (September 28, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.78 (September 7, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.58 (July 27, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.43 (June 3, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.38 (May 20, 2022)
    • 4.20.1.34 (May 13, 2022)

Previous General Releases:

• 4.20.0.17 (April 29, 2022)
    • 4.20.0.2 (February 18, 2022)
  • 4.16.0.3 (November 22, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
  • 4.14.0.10 (December 2, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)
  • 4.12.1.118 (June 29, 2020)
    • 4.12.0.86 (September 24, 2019)
  • 4.11.0.383 (June 12, 2019)
  • 4.10.0.123 (December 8, 2017)
Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,389

So...what are the notable new features? >_>

• A lot of work on the Layered Image Editor,  including additional belnd modes which will be very useful, a smoother and more general technique for adding a script to a preset, which will have a variety of applications, lots of scripting enhancements, etc. See the links above for the highlights thread and the change log.

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

WOW ! it's way better, thank you ! Waiting for Genesis 9 :D

• strezoiualexandrustrezoiualexandru Posts: 47
    edited October 2022

Those are "under the hood" changes, 99% of users witll not even notice them. 
    Something notable would be  soft body, skin contact, -10% scene loading times, -10% RAM used, -10% Render times, etc. Definetely not API or scripting... 

@Daz, again you dissapoint...

Richard Haseltine said:

A lot of work on the Layered Image Editor,  including additional belnd modes which will be very useful, a smoother and more general technique for adding a script to a preset, which will have a variety of applications, lots of scripting enhancements, etc. See the links above for the highlights thread and the change log.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • strezoiualexandru said:

Something notable would be  soft body, skin contact, -10% scene loading times, -10% RAM used, -10% Render times, etc. Definetely not API or scripting... 

Richard Haseltine said:

A lot of work on the Layered Image Editor,  including additional belnd modes which will be very useful, a smoother and more general technique for adding a script to a preset, which will have a variety of applications, lots of scripting enhancements, etc. See the links above for the highlights thread and the change log.

They have the potential to translate into useful new products even if they are not features you are able to use yourself (the expanded blend modes in LIE are a thing I have long lusted after). Also, at least some of the new stuff is needed to support Genesis 9.

• galiengalien Posts: 136

strezoiualexandru said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I think that this is the first general release with native IRay support for curves/fibers.

This can give massive reductions in the vram required when rendering strand based hair and fur.

• It's the latest Nvidia update that crashes D-Force, I installed the studio driver in the meantime

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,298
    edited October 2022

So far didn't find any changes in the bundled Starter Essentials or Default Resources and no Starter Essentials for G9 yet...

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • M-CM-C Posts: 101

LsX said:

It's the latest Nvidia update that crashes D-Force, I installed the studio driver in the meantime

Actually works fine for me. 
    In fact I´m under the impression dForce has become faster with this release.

• MC a dit :

LsX a dit :

C'est la dernière mise à jour Nvidia qui fait planter D-Force, j'ai installé le pilote studio entre-temps

En fait, ça marche bien pour moi. 
    En fait, j'ai l'impression que dForce est devenu plus rapide avec cette version.

I just did a test with the studio driver and the latest Daz update and also noticed that it's a bit faster oui

• And still no fix for loading a saved file with a character's eyes pointed at camera.

My only fix is to record the eye position, set the eyes to point at 'none,' manually position the eyes, then lock the camera.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,298

azcraigrr said:

And still no fix for loading a saved file with a character's eyes pointed at camera.

My only fix is to record the eye position, set the eyes to point at 'none,' manually position the eyes, then lock the camera.

That is quite a small annoyance. One just needs to move the figure or the camera a bit and then undo the movement and the eyes will point where they are supposed to.

Usually I make a group for my characters, and when I open a scene, I rotate the group 1 degrees and undo the rotate and everybody is again looking at the right target. 

• M-C said:

LsX said:

It's the latest Nvidia update that crashes D-Force, I installed the studio driver in the meantime

dForce itself has not been changed since the previous version, so any improvement would be down to other factors.

• M-CM-C Posts: 101
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

M-C said:

LsX said:

dForce itself has not been changed since the previous version, so any improvement would be down to other factors.

-  Update to dForce 1.7.0.1

So this entry is wrong in the change log?

Post edited by M-C on
  • M-C said:

Richard Haseltine said:

M-C said:

LsX said:

-  Update to dForce 1.7.0.1

So this entry is wrong in the change log?

The only changes in 1.7.0.1 are:

• Uses 4.21.0.x SDK

• Updates plugin revision to reflect SDK revision

• Maintains Publishing Partner Features functionality

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 190
    edited October 2022

I got dForce problems as well. A simple jacket which wasn't even parented and no figures loaded didn't start simulating for 5 minutes.

As DAZ didn't even cancel the cforce calculations I had to kill DAZ via the Task Manager. Using nVidia Studio Drivers 517.40

Post edited by Laurita on
  • oddboboddbob Posts: 347
    edited October 2022

Tried 3 dforce items, got two failed to prepare item or some such and an instant CTD with hair.

Restarted - tried different hair

2022-10-13 18:02:07.833 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: Unknown error executing clFlush on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (Device 0).

Edited to add - just got ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2489): ERROR: clEnqueueMapBuffer (-36)

This is all very exciting.

More editing - As LsX stated above it's the latest game ready driver that broke dforce.

Installed the latest studio driver and the issues have gone.

They claim the game ready driver has shader compilation optimizations and reduced CPU overhead. Works very well in games, saw about a 10% uplift in performance and lower CPU use. Doesn't play nice with DS.

Post edited by oddbob on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

God forbid addressing load times.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited October 2022

latest build a bit excessive just loading a scene in bounding box view

tdlmake which only 3Delight should use

the Beta is OK

just a scene I did an animation using Filament on my other PC I decided to do an iray one with

this render is the beta which is behaving as expected no crazy tdlmake 3Delight madness under the hood

Capture.JPG
    1045 x 683 - 123K
    w.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bobvan said:

Addressing the load times without making things worse/unstable is a major undertaking, not having anything obvious done doesn't mean they are not working on it - but taking care not to create new, worse issues in the process.

• azcraigrr said:

And still no fix for loading a saved file with a character's eyes pointed at camera.

Please make a bug report, via a ticket, attaching the simplest scene you can set up to show the issue.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

the Beta is OK

just a scene I did an animation using Filament on my other PC I decided to do an iray one with

this render is the beta which is behaving as expected no crazy tdlmake 3Delight madness under the hood

Some more information on settings and state would help. Are you sure the Aux Viewport isn't runing a 3Delight preview, for example?

• thell_michaelthell_michael Posts: 27
    edited October 2022

OK, seemingly solved?  At least after a couple of hours rendering the problem vanished. Hopefully permanently

did the same scene render twice (1 restart of daz inbetween)

1st time 12000sec  481 iterations
    2nd time (still running) i m at 732 iterations after 650 secs

not sure if this is on purpose

but with the new version rendering got significant slower and seeminlgy the Cuda is no longer constantly on 100% but fluctuating
    on the other side, the GPU Temp is almost 20° lower than before

seems the graphics card is no longer running on full speed/power rendering. with the previous version the GPU Temp was constant between 70 and 80° while rendering

rendering IRAY scenes on an A5000

Post edited by thell_michael on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the Beta is OK

Some more information on settings and state would help. Are you sure the Aux Viewport isn't runing a 3Delight preview, for example?

just that specific scene it seems and it's fine after resaving in the beta

so who knows, I guess I could pull the original off my other PC and use compare in Notepad++ to see what's different 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Bobvan said:

Addressing the load times without making things worse/unstable is a major undertaking, not having anything obvious done doesn't mean they are not working on it - but taking care not to create new, worse issues in the process.

I might be in the minority, but I'm seeing vrey acceptable load times. Where loading a single G3 or G8 character used to take around five or six minutes, they're loading now in 30-40 seconds,  A full scene that was takng 16 minutes to load now takes between two and three minutes.

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • ZiconZicon Posts: 164

Is there a detailed explanation of the new Source/Destination blend modes in LIE available anywhere?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,221
    edited October 2022
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Is there up-to-date documentation for the new (and old) FBX export settings? The environment I'm trying to transfer to Unreal as an FBX is exploding, with parented things like windows and doors scattering, which wasn't happening before.

• giarbigiarbi Posts: 3

I can't even login to DAZ DIM to install it, says "Unable to login to the specified account.  Verify the email and/or password and try again."  Both email address and password are correct but it won't accept it.  It's the same if I try logging in DAZ "Smart Content Login", keeps saying my account cannot be verified.

After several looping attempts of verifying, I was able to change my password, and my email address has been the same since I started with DAZ back in 2004, but DAZ DIM still won't let me login to install the upgrade.

I'm attaching a screen shot in hopes of someone might be able to shed some light on this.

DAZ 3D INSTALL MANAGER.PNG
    870 x 675 - 108K