Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

1747576777880»

Comments

• terryspearterryspear Posts: 5
    edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

terryspear said:

So lately when I try rendering an LAMH animal, you can see the lines showing the fur around the animal like it should appear on render, but on render, it's just a glossy animal, no fur.

If I use an animal like the woolly mammoth, I can do dForce and the fur comes out great. But with animals that don't have that option, forget it. So what do I need to do? I've tried restarting Daz and that doesn't make any difference. 

Iray or 3Delight renders? For Iray, if you don't have Catalyzer or the product doesn't have a Catalyser version you will need to export as OBJ and reload, to bake the hair into a form Iray can see.

Iray, thanks!  I forgot you have to click on the LAMH group first and then attach to object.  Thanks so much!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PlaiadesPlaiades Posts: 14

Hi Alessandro,

it looks like i kind of messed up big time with the LAMH Installation.

• I installed the LAMH Plugin, the LAMH Player and the Catalyzer together via the DIM. Then i got the error message, that i have both the Plugin and the Player installed.
    • I then deinstalled the Player. However i still got an error message, although i am not sure if it was the same or not. 
    • As i was annoyed by the error popup each time i opneded DAZ Studio, i went ahead and deinstalled all LAMH Products in the DIM
    • I also went and deleted them as Products in the Content Library
    • I reinstalled only the LAMH Plugin and the Catalyzer again (not the Player) via DIM in the hopes that now everything would be fine
    • But i still got an error. This Time "look at my hair resources file not found"
    • At that point i googled the Error Text and found this thread. I went ahead and followed advice you gave someone else with the same problem and deleted the lamh dll files and tried reinstalling
    • But now LAMH seems to have vanished completely. I can't find it unter "Installed Plugins" nor under Products and there is no option to create a LAMH Hair under "Create".

It seems as if reinstalling via DIM has no effect in any way anymore and i am clueless what to do at this point. Can i remove any traces of the plugin, so that for DAZ it looks like the Plugin had never been installed before? Thanks in advance for any hints you could give me.

• Plaiades said:

Hi Alessandro,

it looks like i kind of messed up big time with the LAMH Installation.

• I installed the LAMH Plugin, the LAMH Player and the Catalyzer together via the DIM. Then i got the error message, that i have both the Plugin and the Player installed.
    • I then deinstalled the Player. However i still got an error message, although i am not sure if it was the same or not. 
    • As i was annoyed by the error popup each time i opneded DAZ Studio, i went ahead and deinstalled all LAMH Products in the DIM
    • I also went and deleted them as Products in the Content Library
    • I reinstalled only the LAMH Plugin and the Catalyzer again (not the Player) via DIM in the hopes that now everything would be fine
    • But i still got an error. This Time "look at my hair resources file not found"
    • At that point i googled the Error Text and found this thread. I went ahead and followed advice you gave someone else with the same problem and deleted the lamh dll files and tried reinstalling
    • But now LAMH seems to have vanished completely. I can't find it unter "Installed Plugins" nor under Products and there is no option to create a LAMH Hair under "Create".

It seems as if reinstalling via DIM has no effect in any way anymore and i am clueless what to do at this point. Can i remove any traces of the plugin, so that for DAZ it looks like the Plugin had never been installed before? Thanks in advance for any hints you could give me.

Hi,

here is what you can do to try a clean install.

- use DIM to uninstall and delete also the packages
    - go to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\ and if there are left any files/folders that start with "lamh" or "lookatmyhair", delete them all.
    - now run the DIM and install LAMH and Catalyzer. See that you don't need to install the LAMH Player, that is already part of the full product.

Hope this helps

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

Okay, I see the opossum. I see it's only for Iray. It's not being purchased until I have instructions for a 3DL conversion. Will a 3DL hair shader work on it, or do I have to jump through hoops?

The weasel had a smooth enough coat to take a chance on. But not the opossum.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

It's good to see you on the Forum still AM.  I've several questions; I hope this in't too many.

Current version of the Editor is 1.6.0.2.  Most recent manual is only 1.5. Is there an update in the works for either?

The main issue is that ever since DS 4.2, aspects of LAMH hasn't worked correctly.

For example, if I save a project, reopen, then try to even select any LAMH group, DS locks up.

Didn't previously. In fact I routinely did just that. Now it makes any saved project unusable.

With 3D paint, I can select a surface & paint, but I can't select a different surface and have it paint on that as described.

Even so, I can't get hair to grow on those painted areas. The newly painted Density map is not listed with the available maps.

The Delete All density maps doesn't seem to work either.

New AM animals of recent have all been dForce hair. Will LAMH presets ever be made again?

Has Daz's own Strand Based Hair essentially replaced LAMH? If so, how do you export Strand Based Hair as geometry as you can with LAMH hair? For me, that's not a replacement if I can't export.

Thanks.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited July 2022

JOdel said:

Okay, I see the opossum. I see it's only for Iray. It's not being purchased until I have instructions for a 3DL conversion. Will a 3DL hair shader work on it, or do I have to jump through hoops?

The weasel had a smooth enough coat to take a chance on. But not the opossum.

I don't know if there are any hair-specific shaders for 3DL vs IRAY, but there are a couple of good general-purpose converts that I've used and been very happy with.

As you mentioned, since you more interested in converting IRAY to 3DL, then this one is definitely for you: RSSY Iray to 3Delight Converter And Merchant Resource

And while I certainly like the speed and quality of 3DL renders (as I suspect that's the reason for your preference, too), there are frequent times we need to convert older textures to IRAY or we want to take advantage of emissive glowing surfaces, it would be helpful for you to get this one, too: RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter

I've used them both and have been very pleased with the results from each. They're very, very easy to use, with very clear instructions, and function as mirror oppoisites of each other so even if you're using the converter to 3DL 99% of the time, that 1% of the time you might need/want to go the other way, the steps to follow are exactly the same, so it's well worth getting as well. Riversoft and Sickleyield certainly knew what the hell they were doing when they created those converters!

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited July 2022

I've got those. Also Vyktoria's Iray to 3DL converters from Rendo. There is a hair setting in the RSSY package, but I've not used it much since I found that applying Disparate Dreamer's 3DL hair shaders which came with the character Hana for G8F have generally worked better. 

A great deal of the issue is that there are several different forms of fibermesh hair or strand-based hair out in the market now, and I suspect that all varieties of conversion utilities will not work optimally with all of them. Particularly ginvven that most of the convertors came out fairly soon after Iray was generally adopted, and may be built to slightly different standards.

AM used to incluse a 3DL LAMH version with his creatures which made the matter a non-issue. But he's stopped doing that.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited July 2022

JOdel said:

I've got those. Also Vyktoria's Iray to 3DL converters from Rendo. There is a hair setting in the RSSY package, but I've not used it much since I found that applying Disparate Dreamer's 3DL hair shaders which came with the character Hana for G8F have generally worked better. 

A great deal of the issue is that there are several different forms of fibermesh hair or strand-based hair out in the market now, and I suspect that all varieties of conversion utilities will not work optimally with all of them. Particularly ginvven that most of the convertors came out fairly soon after Iray was generally adopted, and may be built to slightly different standards.

AM used to incluse a 3DL LAMH version with his creatures which made the matter a non-issue. But he's stopped doing that.

Hi JOdel, I was given to understand that 3DL is not that popular anymore, and it's all Iray from now on. Don't misunderstand me: I think 3DL is actually a great render engine (it's derived by Renderman which is used in major movie productions), it's just that is poorly implemented in Studio and the difference in terms of results it's quite obvious. I don't know how many of you folks still use 3DL, so please let me know, I'm curious.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • Doc Acme said:

It's good to see you on the Forum still AM.  I've several questions; I hope this in't too many.

Current version of the Editor is 1.6.0.2.  Most recent manual is only 1.5. Is there an update in the works for either?

There is a 2.0 in the works which is a total rebuild: it works as a standalone application and will interface with several applications. I will wait if and ever a new DS5 version will be out and will offer better developer tools and support than current one, so we shall see what will happen..

The main issue is that ever since DS 4.2, aspects of LAMH hasn't worked correctly.

For example, if I save a project, reopen, then try to even select any LAMH group, DS locks up.

Didn't previously. In fact I routinely did just that. Now it makes any saved project unusable.

That it's something that has been reported and I believe it started to get broken since 4.12. Unfortunately it's unknown what changes were made to the application architecture that would affect the plugin load/save operations.

With 3D paint, I can select a surface & paint, but I can't select a different surface and have it paint on that as described.

Even so, I can't get hair to grow on those painted areas. The newly painted Density map is not listed with the available maps.

The Delete All density maps doesn't seem to work either.

New AM animals of recent have all been dForce hair. Will LAMH presets ever be made again?

As I posted below in JOdel response, is 3DL/LAMH something still requested? I was given to understand all folks now use/want dForce

Has Daz's own Strand Based Hair essentially replaced LAMH? If so, how do you export Strand Based Hair as geometry as you can with LAMH hair? For me, that's not a replacement if I can't export.

Thanks.

Oh, that honestly I don't know if it's possible. I never used the SBH myself.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll keep patient then for the 2.0. 

The 3DL issue is moot for me as I'm exporting OUT of DS. I completely resurface to PBR anyway. I'm not "all folks", so No, not everyone wants, or can use dForce.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 627

Alessandro,ciao.

Avrei bisogno che mi spiegassi esattamente dove LAMH va a cercare il plugin e le risorse. Il fatto è che sui miei mac ho Daz installato in posizioni non standard per motivi vari (spazio su disco, necessità di tenere contemporaneamente più versioni diverse, ecc). e quando li apro mi esce regolarmente il messaggio che non trova le risorse e l'appStart del pannello ha fallito. Il plugin è presente nelle adeguate directory di installazione di ogni app, ma probabilmente c'è ancora qualcosa che non è a posto. Se riesci a indicarmi esattamente cosa deve stare dove magari riesco a sistemarlo. Ti ringrazio!

p.s. Stalker mode on:: iiiil gaaaattoooo.....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,513

...as to 3DL Wowie has implemented the Awe Shader system which provides more features that make it much more realistic than in the past (currently experimenting with real volumetrics). The race for more VRAM on a GPU still gets expensive (as you also need sufficient system memory to support the file while rendering)  whereas 3DL only requires a fast multi core CPU and system memory. I am currently looking at a 12c/24t Ryzen 5900x and 64 GB of memory (with provision for an additional 64 GB when needed) for the next major upgrade. 

I personally don't care for dForce because of the  long sim execution times.  It is sort of like if years ago, Poser went to all dynamic clothing and hair. Currently running with a 12 GB Titan-X (defintiely not a slouch) and a last sim I ran on Primavera hair took 22 minutes for a very simple pose.  That's a huge dent in the workflow particularly if one finds the need to change a pose or has multiple characters with dForce clothing/hair in a scene.  I have held off on purchasing new critters since the move to dForce.

I have the Catalyzer which permits rendering LAMH in Iray but am beginning to look more seriously at 3DL again given what I've seen on the Show us more of your 3Delight Renders thread in the Art Studio Forum.  Some pretty amazing stuff there that puts up a decent challenge to Iray (which is also not fully implemented in Daz).

The one other situation with Nvidia is they dump Iray support for older GPUs.  Currently Maxwell (the generation of my Titan-X)  has been on the depreciated list since late 2020  which is the last step before a card is declared "obsolete". With 3DL driver and GPU obsolescence is not an issue.

BTW didn't you once mention you were working on a domestic cat?  Cat Zeus was removed from the store and all that is left is the reissue of the decade and a half (if not older) old Mil Cat with dForce fur.

There are the HiveWire cats.  They have LAMH presets.

...for some reason the Hivewire Cat just didn't look right to me which is why I never bought it, Something about the forepaws. 

I have Cat Zeus which is arguably the best cat figure I've seen but it along with the two morphs were pulled from the store.  Unfortunately it only has dForce fur.(was hoping for an LAMH preset but that won't happen now).

Really?  Probaby quite adjustable.

Much better rigged than most of the Daz.  Has an actual Jaw bone instead of a morph, like most of AM's.

I would have gotten him if not for being dForce only.  But he looks a bit "cartoony" was the other thing. I could have dealt with that, often much less noticable with slight angle tweeks.

edited July 2022

...the "toonyness" could be dialled out with morphing. A number of people dialled in a bit of the Sphinx head morph which narrowed the head and face to look more normal.

Yeah I agree about dForce. It has really caused me to limit my purchases of clothing and hair.  At least with Optitex, only a few items were dynamic. The majority of clothing was still fitted.  Pretty much bought up what I liked of "standard" fit G8 clothing and it works fine on G3 as well (as long as there are no hierarchical presets).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Ruthven said:

Alessandro,ciao.

Avrei bisogno che mi spiegassi esattamente dove LAMH va a cercare il plugin e le risorse. Il fatto è che sui miei mac ho Daz installato in posizioni non standard per motivi vari (spazio su disco, necessità di tenere contemporaneamente più versioni diverse, ecc). e quando li apro mi esce regolarmente il messaggio che non trova le risorse e l'appStart del pannello ha fallito. Il plugin è presente nelle adeguate directory di installazione di ogni app, ma probabilmente c'è ancora qualcosa che non è a posto. Se riesci a indicarmi esattamente cosa deve stare dove magari riesco a sistemarlo. Ti ringrazio!

Ciao, ti conviene fare una cosa: usa DIM per disinstallare tutti i vari LAMH. Poi vai su \Applicazioni\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ e cancella manualmente cosa è rimasto (tutto ciò che comincia con "lamh" e "lookatmyhair". Fatto questo usa DIM per reinstallare LAMH e tutto dovrebbe rifunzionare.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 627

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Ruthven said:

Alessandro,ciao.

Ciao, ti conviene fare una cosa: usa DIM per disinstallare tutti i vari LAMH. Poi vai su \Applicazioni\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ e cancella manualmente cosa è rimasto (tutto ciò che comincia con "lamh" e "lookatmyhair". Fatto questo usa DIM per reinstallare LAMH e tutto dovrebbe rifunzionare.

No, purtroppo non ha funzionato. Ho disinstallato da tutte le parti e ripulito, poi reinstallato (su Daz 4.15; il plugin è nella cartella apposita) ma esce ancora il messaggio di errore.

Ti riporto le righe di log che penso siano utili:

2022-07-17 18:52:18.708 Reading help file /Applications/DAZ 3D/Daz 4.15/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/docs/Plugins/LAMH/LAMH.dsx
    2022-07-17 18:52:18.795 Reading help file /Applications/DAZ 3D/Daz 4.15/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/docs/Plugins/LAMH2Iray Catalyzer/LAMH2Iray Catalyzer.dsx
    2022-07-17 18:52:18.811 Reading help file /Applications/DAZ 3D/Daz 4.15/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/docs/Plugins/LAMH2Iray Catalyzer/LAMH2IrayCatalyzerInlineHelp.dsx

2022-07-17 18:52:26.633     LAMH2IrayCatalyzerPlugin.dylib
    2022-07-17 18:52:26.860     lamhPlugin.64.dylib

Indicazioni?

Intanto grazie!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited November 2022

dForce fur vs LAMH fur color-adoption question...

I'm aware that LAMH fur adopts the colors of the base skin, at least in 3DL renders. I haven't tried the iray catalyzed furs yet. I posted a question in a different thread that may be more appropriate here...

Does dforce fur adopt the colors of the figure's skin the same way LAMH fur does? And if so, do I have to merge the Rakshasa base skin and its skin overlay that creates the stripes in order for the gorilla fur to change from black or white to tiger-striped? Or should I load the LAMH fur instead? (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7814791/#Comment_7814791)

I'm sorta kit bashing Rakshasi & Gorilla for G8M . 

Rakshasi has a base color and an overlay later for the stripes and is an iray figure with dForce fur.

Gorilla for G8M offers LAMH fur in both 3DF and iray as well as force fur options.

So I've taken the overlay layer into Photoshop, inverted it, c/p it onto the base color to create a new base color with the stripes on it. Is that enough to make any of the proved gorilla furs adopt the base color? 

Post edited by WillowRaven on