Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

17374757678

Comments

  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 796

    Heck, since I'm here...

    Mimicing Barely-There Hair in LAMH

    I recently picked up this product.  It looks great rendered in Daz but since it's not FiberHair, it doesn't export to a mesh usable outside of DS.

    Is there a technique with LAMH where just a few scragly hairs can be generated?

    Tried some quick tests with just folicles & really low count settings but still too thick. I suspect weight map painting will be needed.

    Has anyone experimented with this sort of style?

    CU Arm Bands + BT Hair.jpg
    960 x 540 - 168K
  • @Doc Acme - I just wanted to say thank you for your experiments and explanations! I don't get over here enough, and I'm still trying to figure out dForce, so LAMH is my next Kryptinite. I will definitely come back and really study your suggestions when I'm ready! All that to say, Thank you! And keep it up!

  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 796

    Well, thank ya.

    I made some progress with the hair, but not with LAMH unfortunately.  I think my laptop is just a bit lacking to work with it for that.  Having some issues trying to paint density maps & need to find out more info on brush requirements such as file types, dims, bit depth, etc.

    But, I did make some tests exporting the dForce hair out using obj.  The dForce hair imports as closed polys so not usable in that form. But I was able to manipulate & create usable hair from them.  I was able to do a point selection, create a curve, convert that to a NURBS curve which I could subsequently use to create profile geom of any 2D shape; I went with a diamond. The ends of each curve has separate handles so the hair can be tapered. Glad I only did a hand full (20 or so) as largely manual, just repetitious.

    Once brought in & "attached" to the figure, the hair gets wt. mapped & it follows nicely.  I'd still like to use LAMH so maybe when I get back to my main system.

    I hope to add Syflex to my arsenal then as well.

     

    Scraggly Hair Test.jpg
    1075 x 1080 - 1M
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 796

    AM's Chihuahua's

    I'll eventually get this lil' guy I suppose,
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5922020256645120#gallery=album13742&image=1135890

    but wanted to make a case for Scotties to get worked into the list if they aren't already.

    As a pitch, figured I'd post this shot of my four-legged niece & nephew when I had to sit with them last year.  I was warned/cautioned about ANY animal shows on the TV, but I hadn't seen the recent "Lion King" & figured it a good opportunity to catch up.  From the first close-up, the kids were glued to the screen.  So the version I saw had two add'l characters, pretty much always in silhouette.

     

    Lion King Fans.jpg
    4032 x 2268 - 1M
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,256

    Definitely a buy for me :)

  • Doc Acme said:

    AM's Chihuahua's

    I'll eventually get this lil' guy I suppose,
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5922020256645120#gallery=album13742&image=1135890

    but wanted to make a case for Scotties to get worked into the list if they aren't already.

    As a pitch, figured I'd post this shot of my four-legged niece & nephew when I had to sit with them last year.  I was warned/cautioned about ANY animal shows on the TV, but I hadn't seen the recent "Lion King" & figured it a good opportunity to catch up.  From the first close-up, the kids were glued to the screen.  So the version I saw had two add'l characters, pretty much always in silhouette.

    And guess who worked on the fur of some of those Lion King's characters cheeky

  • WillowRaven said:

    Definitely a buy for me :)

    Thanks. I made the 3DL versions just for you...

  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,170
    edited April 20

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Doc Acme said:

    AM's Chihuahua's

    I'll eventually get this lil' guy I suppose,
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5922020256645120#gallery=album13742&image=1135890

    but wanted to make a case for Scotties to get worked into the list if they aren't already.

    As a pitch, figured I'd post this shot of my four-legged niece & nephew when I had to sit with them last year.  I was warned/cautioned about ANY animal shows on the TV, but I hadn't seen the recent "Lion King" & figured it a good opportunity to catch up.  From the first close-up, the kids were glued to the screen.  So the version I saw had two add'l characters, pretty much always in silhouette.

    And guess who worked on the fur of some of those Lion King's characters cheeky

    Well then quit messing around with those big money projects and get to work on our critters .......wink luv ya dude!!!

    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,256

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    WillowRaven said:

    Definitely a buy for me :)

    Thanks. I made the 3DL versions just for you...

    Awwwwwe ... You are so awesome!

     

  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 796

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Doc Acme said:

    AM's Chihuahua's

    I'll eventually get this lil' guy I suppose,
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5922020256645120#gallery=album13742&image=1135890

    but wanted to make a case for Scotties to get worked into the list if they aren't already.

    As a pitch, figured I'd post this shot of my four-legged niece & nephew when I had to sit with them last year.  I was warned/cautioned about ANY animal shows on the TV, but I hadn't seen the recent "Lion King" & figured it a good opportunity to catch up.  From the first close-up, the kids were glued to the screen.  So the version I saw had two add'l characters, pretty much always in silhouette.

    And guess who worked on the fur of some of those Lion King's characters cheeky

    Well, I already knew that. ;)

    And to be honest, I think this one was better than the original, and there are very few re-makes that I've ever said that about.

  • Dark45Dark45 Posts: 12
    edited April 21

    Hey Guys,

    Figured this would be a good spot to put this. Picked up LAMH a few weeks ago and love it, but I have an issue. LAMH creates a prop for us to use and I've been using it like that. Although, anytime I pose my figure I always have to redo the prop which takes a great deal of time. I would prefer to make the fur assets I create with LAMH a conforming figure to make posing and animation much quicker.

    To do this I have been trying to use the Transfer Utility, which does indeed make it to when I change the arms position the fur follows BUT it's not shaped or "fitted to" the model appropriately. I think it maybe something to do with weight maps but I'm not really sure. I think I'm in over my head and really need some help.

    Another thing I noticed is that in my Transfer Utility, I have very few projection templates and none are for the arms. Not sure if that is needed for what I am doing.

    I've attached a photo of what happens after I do the Transfer Utility.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Help Please.JPG
    1247 x 673 - 84K
    Post edited by Dark45 on
  • Dark45 said:

    Hey Guys,

    Figured this would be a good spot to put this. Picked up LAMH a few weeks ago and love it, but I have an issue. LAMH creates a prop for us to use and I've been using it like that. Although, anytime I pose my figure I always have to redo the prop which takes a great deal of time. I would prefer to make the fur assets I create with LAMH a conforming figure to make posing and animation much quicker.

    To do this I have been trying to use the Transfer Utility, which does indeed make it to when I change the arms position the fur follows BUT it's not shaped or "fitted to" the model appropriately. I think it maybe something to do with weight maps but I'm not really sure. I think I'm in over my head and really need some help.

    Another thing I noticed is that in my Transfer Utility, I have very few projection templates and none are for the arms. Not sure if that is needed for what I am doing.

    I've attached a photo of what happens after I do the Transfer Utility.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Hi, I think you might want to take a look at the tutorial playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_JdHHW5yFwbqeq6aJzKtfEdbpt9k4HY6

    and in particular this one:

    which shows how to save to a wearable preset so that you can load it back attached to the figure.

  • Dark45Dark45 Posts: 12

    Thanks for the quick reply Alessandro. I'm gonna take a look right now and hopefully it works out.

  • Dark45Dark45 Posts: 12

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Dark45 said:

    Hey Guys,

    Figured this would be a good spot to put this. Picked up LAMH a few weeks ago and love it, but I have an issue. LAMH creates a prop for us to use and I've been using it like that. Although, anytime I pose my figure I always have to redo the prop which takes a great deal of time. I would prefer to make the fur assets I create with LAMH a conforming figure to make posing and animation much quicker.

    To do this I have been trying to use the Transfer Utility, which does indeed make it to when I change the arms position the fur follows BUT it's not shaped or "fitted to" the model appropriately. I think it maybe something to do with weight maps but I'm not really sure. I think I'm in over my head and really need some help.

    Another thing I noticed is that in my Transfer Utility, I have very few projection templates and none are for the arms. Not sure if that is needed for what I am doing.

    I've attached a photo of what happens after I do the Transfer Utility.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Hi, I think you might want to take a look at the tutorial playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_JdHHW5yFwbqeq6aJzKtfEdbpt9k4HY6

    and in particular this one:

    which shows how to save to a wearable preset so that you can load it back attached to the figure.

    This does help the workflow some. The reason I am trying to transfer the Gen 8 male rigging to the LAMH .obj fur assets is for animation reasons mainly. That's why I was trying to use the transfer utility and have been having issues with it.

  • GlenWebbGlenWebb Posts: 627
    Interesting. I was just contemplating this same situation last night. Thanks for the video.
  • FantastArtFantastArt Posts: 155

    Hello,

    I have a new PC since a few weeks and now I tried to install my Look at My Hair, but it's not working.

    I think its because my DAZ isn't installed at my C drive. It shows theicon in the Daz folder, but it's not listed in the installed plugins tab.

    I searched my whole PC for the file, but I can't find it. Can you please tell me how the .dll file is calling, so I can maybe put it in the right folder.

  • FantastArt said:

    Hello,

    I have a new PC since a few weeks and now I tried to install my Look at My Hair, but it's not working.

    I think its because my DAZ isn't installed at my C drive. It shows theicon in the Daz folder, but it's not listed in the installed plugins tab.

    I searched my whole PC for the file, but I can't find it. Can you please tell me how the .dll file is calling, so I can maybe put it in the right folder.

    Hi, you need to have the "lamhPlugin.64.dll" and the "lookatmyhairAM" folder in your "Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\". However, the DIM should, for what I know so far, install plugins in the default programs folder, so it's surprising it didn't in your case.

  • FantastArtFantastArt Posts: 155

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    FantastArt said:

    Hello,

    I have a new PC since a few weeks and now I tried to install my Look at My Hair, but it's not working.

    I think its because my DAZ isn't installed at my C drive. It shows theicon in the Daz folder, but it's not listed in the installed plugins tab.

    I searched my whole PC for the file, but I can't find it. Can you please tell me how the .dll file is calling, so I can maybe put it in the right folder.

    Hi, you need to have the "lamhPlugin.64.dll" and the "lookatmyhairAM" folder in your "Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\". However, the DIM should, for what I know so far, install plugins in the default programs folder, so it's surprising it didn't in your case.

    I tried a few times now. at first I tried the manual installation, than I tried the installation via IM. Its installing everything but the player. I searched for the file on every harddrive, but it's not there. I also deaktivated my firewall, but it doesn't help.

    Screenshot (34).png
    1920 x 1080 - 200K
  • FantastArt said:

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    FantastArt said:

    Hello,

    I have a new PC since a few weeks and now I tried to install my Look at My Hair, but it's not working.

    I think its because my DAZ isn't installed at my C drive. It shows theicon in the Daz folder, but it's not listed in the installed plugins tab.

    I searched my whole PC for the file, but I can't find it. Can you please tell me how the .dll file is calling, so I can maybe put it in the right folder.

    Hi, you need to have the "lamhPlugin.64.dll" and the "lookatmyhairAM" folder in your "Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\". However, the DIM should, for what I know so far, install plugins in the default programs folder, so it's surprising it didn't in your case.

    I tried a few times now. at first I tried the manual installation, than I tried the installation via IM. Its installing everything but the player. I searched for the file on every harddrive, but it's not there. I also deaktivated my firewall, but it doesn't help.

    You can install the LAMH Player or the LAMH full version, not both (the full version already includes the player). So just try to install the LAMH full version, start Studio, see if you have the LAMH pane available...

  • In any case feel free to email me directly (link in my signature), I can help you fix it.

  • FantastArtFantastArt Posts: 155

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    In any case feel free to email me directly (link in my signature), I can help you fix it.

    I sent you an email.

    Thank you!

  • sammiesammie Posts: 3

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

     

    Dear Alessandro,
    i admire your work. Thank you very much for that yes

    Are you planning to include a model of a house cat in the future?

    The model of the 'house cat with dForce hair' that is available is nice, but for me it simply lacks that 'certain something'.

    Your animal models are 'alive', and this is, which I like extraordinarily about your animal models heart

  • sammie said:

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

     

    Dear Alessandro,
    i admire your work. Thank you very much for that yes

    Are you planning to include a model of a house cat in the future?

    The model of the 'house cat with dForce hair' that is available is nice, but for me it simply lacks that 'certain something'.

    Your animal models are 'alive', and this is, which I like extraordinarily about your animal models heart

    Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

  • sammiesammie Posts: 3

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

    Dear Alessandro,
    awesome laugh I am so exited. Thank you very much for this wonderful answer  *hug*  cheeky

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 30,625

    I am interested in Unreal Grooms of your furs, my attempts to turn any sort of mesh hairs into curves in Blender then back to extruded mesh and alembic export them has only resulted in horrible springy messes blush

  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,256

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

    I see myself spending more money, soon. Will it be both LAMH and dforce? Short, medium, and long-haired? And will it be compatible with some of the other felines I have of yours?

    As far as 3D house cats go, my biggest beef has been the weird sitting pose-ability, as in, their backs or hips, or abdomen don't move right or something for believable sitting or climbing. But your big cats are amazing, so I'm salivating at the idea of your design of their smaller cousins.

  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 796

    I have most of AM's critters and will most likely get most anything he releases.  As far as the smaller cats though, I liked the HiveWire ones a bit better than the Daz ones & wondering if that might be a factor with posing.  

    I use DS when I've a USC scene & animals, but otherwise I translate my menagerie into Lightwave so notice certain differences in the rigging.  I can't translate dForce hair/fur (at least yet) so prefer the ribbon strand approach used by LAMH. Nor can I use morphs on fur.  By converting though, I can pose the figure with the fur so I don't have to go through tedium posing before I can even make the fur, and especially if a tweek is needed that'll affect the fur's position & have to go through the re-furring process again.  If a figure uses a simple morph to just open/close the jaw, I add a bone & wt. map for that & then the fur will move accordingly.

     

  • WillowRaven said:

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

    I see myself spending more money, soon. Will it be both LAMH and dforce? Short, medium, and long-haired? And will it be compatible with some of the other felines I have of yours?

    As far as 3D house cats go, my biggest beef has been the weird sitting pose-ability, as in, their backs or hips, or abdomen don't move right or something for believable sitting or climbing. But your big cats are amazing, so I'm salivating at the idea of your design of their smaller cousins.

    It will be based on the same base as my big cats and yes, all fur types (LAMH, Catalyzer, Dforce). I'll do my best to make him as lifelike as possible.

  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,256

    Alessandro Mastronardi said:

    It will be based on the same base as my big cats and yes, all fur types (LAMH, Catalyzer, Dforce). I'll do my best to make him as lifelike as possible.

    Goody! And I'm sure you will ... I have almost all of your animals for that reason.

  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,256
Sign In or Register to comment.