Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I figured I'd revisit some older figures while everyone fawns over the new dogs, and who wouldn't.

I've come across an odd issue with the Anthropomorphs - Chimpanzee for Genesis 8 Male. On the other hand. it might be correct for this fur, but I don't think so.

When you create fur using LAMH, the various Groups end up getting a TMap to go along with the hair group obj geometry. Those are, I thought, based on the texture maps of the figure. For the Chimp there are TMaps for the Body & Beard, but they're just solid black. Checked them in Affinity Photo & they're aren't just dark, they're blank.

If I look at the Gorilla say, the Group surfaces have a TMap as I'm used to seeing in every other LAMH I've created or exported.

I checked prior to entering the editor & generating the fur, and the texture assignments are there. The TMaps are getting generated but w/o any contribution from the textures.

Has anyone noticed this before?  Would someone who has this figure check on this?

Thanks.

Gorilla PreHair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 334K
    Gorilla+Fur.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 334K
    Chimp PreHair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 331K
    Chimp+Fur.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 334K
  • DAZ_ann0314 said:

Hi, I havn't read through so if this is covered else where forgive me. I just got the full LAMH plug in and it wont install, the installer looks like it has run corectly but there is noting showing up any where in daz studio and when I ran a system wide serch for it there was noting on my computer at all.

I have never had any other version of LAMH installed.

I am installing manually as the art computer does not have internet capability.

I am on a windows 7 pc with DS 4.9.

I have tried rebooting after installing, redownloading the installer in case its was borked, tried installing with DS open and shut, tried both the recomended install configeration and custom every thing has the same result. 

I am at the point of cutting my losses and just getting a refund and binning the program 

I was having a similar issue. In my case I think I was expected something to be in places other than it was. First check under Help - About Installed Plugins and see if it is listed there and then be sure it has a green plug next to it and if so then try checking the following two places:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but by searching for the answer, this was the way that I registered mine. I thought I would share in case you were still looking for the solution

Open the LAMH and click on the ABOUT tab - see attached screenshot

Click the link in the tab that says "Visit our site at ..." - be sure that you have your serial number - you can find this by logging into your Daz account, via the web browser, click on serial numbers - see second screenshot

Since my copy is already authorized, then there is no use in me clicking on the link, but if it wasn't, then you would have a personal code, which you would enter, along with your serial number, when you click on the link.

Hope that helps - oh, I also had to download the latest version to get the "ABOUT" tab

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 1.20.08 PM.png
    1314 x 1057 - 73K
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 1.22.08 PM.png
    1285 x 400 - 77K
  • DiscipleDisciple Posts: 76
    edited September 2021

Now I need installation help, please.  I want my lion's mane.

I downloaded the free player yesterday and licensed the discounted catalyzer today.  I run Studio 4.12 on a Win10 laptop, no internet, with DIM as my install tool.  Installing the player yesterday halted when a popup requested that I set a filepath, but it failed to specify a target file.  Dropdown fields labeled Name and Version and Bits appeared, but with no list entries to select.  I guessed it wanted my Studio executable, but it did not accept a path to the bin folder, nor to any other folder I offered.

After trying over a dozen filepaths and failing all, I checked the user guide which said to extract the contents of the zip file into the plugins folder, which I did.  That produced a LAMH player pane in Studio with all of its controls inactive except for the load preset button.  The free player came without serial numbers.  No component of my lion seemed to generate a response from the player pane, nor a single hair in my 3delight renders.

Now I'm trying to install the catalyzer, since I'd prefer an Iray lion anyway, and the same popup that demands a filepath to the undisclosed target file is obstructing me again.  The installation notes in the wiki state only that there's a list of packages with qualifiers in the names, and there's no list... no answers.  The search tool for these forums is as unproductive as it was ten years ago, so I'm hoping someone might read this who knows the answers I need for my nekkid lion.  Thank you for reading.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

[Edit] P.S., Are there any plans to make LAMH plugin generated hair compatible with catalyzer?  Hoping.[/Edit]

[Edit] Update: I managed to load a lion that works with the free player, and His Royal Fluffiness looks pretty good in 3Delight.  The Iray scene he's in needs the catalyzer though, so help to get the installer to work is still my request, if you please.  Thanks.[/Edit]

[Edit] Update: Why not try manually installing the catalyzer, as I did with the player?  Well, I tried it.  Nothing broke, and I half hoped to see a new pane appear with a space for the serial number.  Nuh-uh, didn't happen.  No pane, no mane.  Can't install the catalyzer manually or by DIM.  Help? [/Edit]

Post edited by Disciple on
  • Alessandro Mastronardi said:

sammie said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Dear Alessandro,
    i admire your work. Thank you very much for that yes

Are you planning to include a model of a house cat in the future?

The model of the 'house cat with dForce hair' that is available is nice, but for me it simply lacks that 'certain something'.

Your animal models are 'alive', and this is, which I like extraordinarily about your animal models heart

Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

Alessandro Mastronardi - I'm a huge fan of your work. Any update on that Housecat model?

• IndigoTea said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

sammie said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Dear Alessandro,
    i admire your work. Thank you very much for that yes

Are you planning to include a model of a house cat in the future?

The model of the 'house cat with dForce hair' that is available is nice, but for me it simply lacks that 'certain something'.

Your animal models are 'alive', and this is, which I like extraordinarily about your animal models heart

Hello, thanks for your kind words. I do plan to release the house cat model before the end of the year. Cheers.

Alessandro Mastronardi - I'm a huge fan of your work. Any update on that Housecat model?

Hello, not yet but I plan to have it done withing XMas, if there are no issues. Cheers.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Hello, not yet but I plan to have it done withing XMas, if there are no issues. Cheers.

I can't express how happy this makes me ... and please tell me it will have a LAMH option for both 3DL and iray ... please, please, pleeease ....

I'm hoping I remember how I modified the fur patterns on the fox a couple of years back ... I will make furs of my real-world cats.

Now I gotta spend more money ... You have no idea what you do to me, AM. :D

WillowRaven,

I think I've nearly all of AM's critters, but I was wondering if you're not aware of the Hivewire creatures as well?  They're over on ther Renero. site as the original Hivewire opne shut down last year. Might hold ya over until Alessandro adds to his menagerie anyway.

I have most of the LAMH Hivewire animals, too ... and plan to buy what I don't have :)

... it's never enough, is it?

To think I started playing with Daz as a means to plan my hand-drawn illustrations out for children's books ... I wanted to maintain character style and integrity from start to finish. It's challenging to prevent the natural evolution of visual quality and style over a couple of dozen pages drawn over months of time ... no one warned me of its addictive properties, lol. Like I needed another medium for my addictions.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

I started with 3D because I had an Oz book to design, and I couldn't re-purpose the illos which were in publuc domain. Still took me from 2009 to the end of 2011 to get the first version done, and another couple of years to go back and re-do it to my satisfction.

Lol ... Sounds familiar ... It took several years to get my daz images to look half-decent. Still working on it and still leaning toward a traditional art look. My most recent work for a book:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7080811/#Comment_7080811

• Uh, hello again.  I'm still checking in.  Still hoping for help.

My earlier questions are still waiting, but the TL;DR is this: How do I get Catalyzer to install on an offline Windows computer when the DIM installer requests a filepath without telling me what file(s) it wants?

I go into more detail a few posts back, if needed.  Could someone help me get it going?  I did buy the license.  Thank you.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

Just a guess, but read that message a bit closer.  I thing it's asking for the path to a folder, NOT a file.

• Doc Acme said:

Just a guess, but read that message a bit closer.  I thing it's asking for the path to a folder, NOT a file.

Well, read it with me and see for yourself.  It expects an application path.  Which application?  Studio?  Catalyzer?  DIM?  Is it a path to the application or a path used by the application?  I've tried the bin folder, the libs folder, the displays, the plugins, the scripts, the shaders, the contents, the DIM executables, the docs, the free player.  I even tried the path to the lion data.  Folders?  Believe me, I've tried 'em!

Now the author himself has visited, and passed by my cry for help to converse with other members.  Can you blame me for feeling a little undervalued as a customer?  Wouldn't you feel a twinge of frustration?  I'm pretty good at dealing with software when it works, and fair to middlin' when it doesn't, but sometimes I need help, as we all do.  I ain't askin' for much.  Please.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

InstallFail01.jpg
    402 x 280 - 46K
  • Disciple said:

Doc Acme said:

Well, read it with me and see for yourself.  It expects an application path.  Which application?  Studio?  Catalyzer?  DIM?  Is it a path to the application or a path used by the application?  I've tried the bin folder, the libs folder, the displays, the plugins, the scripts, the shaders, the contents, the DIM executables, the docs, the free player.  I even tried the path to the lion data.  Folders?  Believe me, I've tried 'em!

Now the author himself has visited, and passed by my cry for help to converse with other members.  Can you blame me for feeling a little undervalued as a customer?  Wouldn't you feel a twinge of frustration?  I'm pretty good at dealing with software when it works, and fair to middlin' when it doesn't, but sometimes I need help, as we all do.  I ain't askin' for much.  Please.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

It's asking for the path to the Daz Studio installation

I didn't have any problem with this when I bought it but I do have another product that was updated and for whatever reason, it refuses to recognize the path for it. Fortunately, a manual install worked for it

edited October 2021

See if the Drop-down doesn't give a previous list to choose from.

Otherwise perhaps ... DAZ\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Support\

Post edited by Doc Acme on
  • Thanks for the input.  The Bitrock installer finally succeeded and the serial number accepted.  Catalyst can now render a single lion in an empty scene.  I wanted to add a setting and three more figures, one with dForce fur, and one light plus the HDRI dome, nothing complicated.  Fail, rendering crashed Studio.  Tried clearing caches and halting other apps, hiding scene elements, simplifying datasets, smaller canvases, 'safe mode', but Studio kept freezing and crashing in every way imaginable, ten times.  My Windows laptop isn't the newest/biggest, but it's pretty robust, yet two furred figures couldn't coexist.  I finally got a result by alternately deleting each figure and merging two renders in PS.  The composite is acceptable, but the inefficiency and brittle nature of the process is a bit disappointing.  Animation is out of the question.  I'll be keeping the product, but I don't see it being as useful to me as I'd hoped, unless someone's got a solution I didn't try.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

I've the same issue on my laptop too. Putting furry critteres in an Ultra Scenery environment is pretty much out too,

I'm sure many of you have seen the WWF calendar page for Nov '21 (but if not, here it is) and thought it a rare sight.  I'm going to see if I can replicate the scene but not so sure about the cub.  I have Kimbo, but he is more a "Cub" than the more "Adolescent" cat in the shot.

I tried a 2X scaling on Kimbo. but still looks too young. I'd post that too but this marvelous board isn't accepting the jpg for some reason. <sigh>

Anyway, has anyone been sucessful on intermediate ages on AM Big Cats?

WWF Cal Nov2021.jpg
    1629 x 1266 - 1018K
  • RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

@Alessandro Mastronardi

Ciao Alessandro; scusami, una domanda: sia sotto 4.12 che 4.15 LAM non riesce a essere trovato quando avvio il programma. Sono sul Mac e soprattutto per 4.12 l'ho installato in una location non standard, comunque per entrambi i plugin sono sotto la cartella "plugin" della directory dell'applicazione. Riesci a dirmi dove ho sbagliato? Devo mettere qualcosa da qualche altra parte?

Grazie mille!

p.s. ti prego, dimmi che almeno per Natale rilasci il gatto!!!

edited November 2021

Wish I could help Ruthven.  It's a matter of not knowing Mac rather than Italian. There's Google Translate for that.

But after playing a round for a couple days, not a bad rough in, but definitely different.  Just scaling Kimbo doesn't do it so I tried the Lioness instead. Better than I thought it would be for a first stab at making a ruff; I definitely need some barbering skills.  Looking at some reference shots, there's no specific age; it's a constant, gradual process.

I adjusted some of the limbs scaling etc. where I could to try and make him more lanky.

Lion Fam mit Kimbo.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 101K
    Lion Fam Nu Juvenile.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 96K
    Post edited by Doc Acme on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Doc Acme said:

Wish I could help Ruthven.  It's a matter of not knowing Mac rather than Italian. There's Google Translate for that.

But after playing a round for a couple days, not a bad rough in, but definitely different.  Just scaling Kimbo doesn't do it so I tried the Lioness instead. Better than I thought it would be for a first stab at making a ruff; I definitely need some barbering skills.  Looking at some reference shots, there's no specific age; it's a constant, gradual process.

I adjusted some of the limbs scaling etc. where I could to try and make him more lanky.

Just for information sake a male lion doesn't start to get it's mane until it's a year old ,and it takes another year to fill out  and become a true man ......at which point they are kicked out of the pride .... I looked it up on Google ....got curious ....

That helps Quicker than a couple ours on Nova anyway.

Daz's Transfer Utility

Posted this original question over a week ago in another Forum, and nothing but crickets.  Actually, crickets would have been an improvement.

So, thought I'd try a more "targeted" audience; one that might have a more direct interest in what I'm trying to do as I'm pretty certain this would apply in DS fully as well.  

Then again... But here's where I'm at & why.

I'm sure many of you have seen some the progress I've made exporting LAMH figures out of Daz and into the antiquated, orphaned, bought and put in the closet but still very funtional Lightwave. Recently, I figured out a technique that allows me to retain morphs on strand hair items when I export a character out via FBX.  They often have their unique adjustment or shapes, but they generally take on eCTRL and such morphs as well from the character. I can link morphs so facial hair follows the characters pose AND morphs now for eyelashes, brows, mustaches, Peach Fuzz,...

Big Deal!  We already do that in DS!.  

Ah, ya, but not for our critters with fur. dForce doesn't count as it doesn't export.

But, I'm clueless on the process that transfers those morphs initially in Daz.  I know it has something to do with converting an object into a figure, weight mapping, giving it a heirarchy, yada, etc., but the oracle orb goes dark & cloudy at that point.  Only older videos of the process, sort of, with antiquated UI's, menu changes,... Quickly lost by the current equivalent... if there is one.

But it seems that if morphs can be transfered to mustaches, eyebrows etc. as they are being done right now, why not just the head portion of fur for an LAMH animal?  Others are doing this pretty routinely for OBJ's out of Marvelous Designer & Z-Brush for clothing & figure morphs as I understand.

So at present I'm able to transfer weight maps to fur and that allows me to pose with Fur, but no expression morphs such as a Snarl.  So it's really is a bit of a mood killer.

"Oh say. I'm attacking you now, but I'm just really not in the mood."

That's not being done in DS at present, and probably for good reason though. In fact I've had to understand the export process better (pages must've gotten torn out of my copy of the Docs I guess), in order to work around size limitations. If too many morphs and many un-needed (such as phonemes for shoes ?!?), the resulting OBJ's do get written to the FBX file, but will crash trying to open & extract them as it exceeds the max size OBJ's can be of 2 Gb.

Daz handles the LAMH fur for the main body as one item in the way it comes back from the LAMH editor. It has no weight map or morph info which is why it has to remain static.

With mustaches, eyebrows, etc., from human characters that CAN take on additional morphs, if the item becomes too large from the added morphs, it will crash upon the extracted files getting opened.  I've learned that I can watch the process and if an object such as a mustache is over the limit, I can simply rename it before the actual scene load step tries to load it. So, I do multiple FBX exorts in order to be selective on facial hair what morphs gets added to the geom.

For animals, I'm able to import the OBJ groups from the original OBJs that LAMH makes when it generates the fur from the RMan curves. Oddly, even though these OBJ's have only texture information, they are wrtten to layers corresponding to a Weight Map. This allows grouping fur into more managable groups. Thank you Alessandro. Any sort of expression morph is only going to be in a Head, so that's just a fraction of what needs to get worked on. I can import 4 or 5 pieces instead of one.

It fits the character as it should, but I'm stuck at the transfer process & what precisely is needed to be set up first with this new geometry.

Is there a hidden cabal somewhere in one of the Forums that guards this knowledge, or might someone here be able to point me in the need general direction?  Or better.

Owch!  Think I bruised my cheek with my tongue a couple times.

Snarl Pounce REF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 109K
    Kitty SnarlPounce Mitout SnarlX.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 72K
    Tiger of Different Stripes.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 136K
    Kitty+Imported OBJ Fur.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 123K
  • I now seem to get an insta-crash whenever I remove a LAMH preset from a scene. Even on "new scene" or a normal close, DS will not shut down but crash if the scene contains a LAMH preset. Started with 4.16, but the last version I really tested was 4.15.02

Anyone else experiencing this?

• I'm using one in the scene I'm working on. I haven't had a problem.

With the latest release of DS, I'm not able to run the fur generation and leave the finish groups attached to the preset.  If I do and save the scene, they're gone when I open the scene. Instead, I have to parent the fur groups to the main figure instead. 

Didn't use to be that way.

• So lately when I try rendering an LAMH animal, you can see the lines showing the fur around the animal like it should appear on render, but on render, it's just a glossy animal, no fur.

If I use an animal like the woolly mammoth, I can do dForce and the fur comes out great. But with animals that don't have that option, forget it. So what do I need to do? I've tried restarting Daz and that doesn't make any difference. 

• terryspear said:

So lately when I try rendering an LAMH animal, you can see the lines showing the fur around the animal like it should appear on render, but on render, it's just a glossy animal, no fur.

If I use an animal like the woolly mammoth, I can do dForce and the fur comes out great. But with animals that don't have that option, forget it. So what do I need to do? I've tried restarting Daz and that doesn't make any difference. 

Iray or 3Delight renders? For Iray, if you don't have Catalyzer or the product doesn't have a Catalyser version you will need to export as OBJ and reload, to bake the hair into a form Iray can see.