Skin Builder 8 Merchant Resource for Genesis 8 Female (Commercial)

Comments

• Hello, When I click to generate base skin, I always get the message "Failed to save image file...." and when I look in the temporary directory it is empty. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I have also tried changing the temp directory to a new one. I am using a base genisis 8 female and I have the Iray box selected at the top. Any suggestions?

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Any plans on doing a separate G8.1F version?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039

No, none planned. We might have another approach we exploring.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Zev0 said:

No, none planned. We might have another approach we exploring.

Great to hear ;-) 

• Zev0 said:

did the same and no seams. Version 1.3 is the most stable version. I wouldn't use version 1.1 or 1.2.

back again. turning off spectral rendering fixed gthe seams issue . odd  it only happens with pale/while. someone wil have too explaoin that to me 

• kit2000kit2000 Posts: 2

Hi..

I'm fairly new to DAZ, and truth be told, I didn't read all the posts above, so you may have addressed this issue already ...

My Newbie inexperience has made me totally useless in applying SKIN systems to the classic Genesis 8 figures.

Your SB8 package is delightfully straight-forward (although the reverse-color TANLINE operation is counter-intuitive), and I have GREAT SUCCESS with using it..

BUT...

The process only works with FEMALES (duh).

Are you going to create an equivilent asset utility for Genesis 8 MALES in the foreseeable future?

It would be heaven if you would.

Or maybe you know of a Utility or trick that can allow SB8 to work on G8 MALES? Given my limited knowledge on UVs, I assume that cannot be easily done.

Kit Werecat

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

If you have the UV swap then save out your SB8 skin as a material preset you could put that on the male figure  I think

• Is there a way to create scales with sb8
  • brucek5brucek5 Posts: 39

Skin Buider always starts with a new skin, but what if I want to only modify and existing charater skin and not start from scratch?

edited June 2021

The overlay options can be applied to other character base skins. You do not always have to use the new base skins provided in SB8. Just skip the skin tab and start from overlays onwards.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Unable to locate or apply the Torso UV Map. I can easily browse to it. Double-clicking on it does nothing. It is not accessible under Smart Content or under Content Library. The user's Guide only refers to applying the map, but provides absolutely no instructions on applying it. This has frustrated me to the point of wanting a refund for this product. Please provide instructions.

• sirgeefive said:

Unable to locate or apply the Torso UV Map. I can easily browse to it. Double-clicking on it does nothing. It is not accessible under Smart Content or under Content Library. The user's Guide only refers to applying the map, but provides absolutely no instructions on applying it. This has frustrated me to the point of wanting a refund for this product. Please provide instructions.

It should be available through the UV Set proerpty in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane with the model and surface selected.

• sirgeefivesirgeefive Posts: 3
    edited July 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

sirgeefive said:

Unable to locate or apply the Torso UV Map. I can easily browse to it. Double-clicking on it does nothing. It is not accessible under Smart Content or under Content Library. The user's Guide only refers to applying the map, but provides absolutely no instructions on applying it. This has frustrated me to the point of wanting a refund for this product. Please provide instructions.

It should be available through the UV Set proerpty in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane with the model and surface selected.

The only thing that is listed in (16): UV Set is the option "Base Female". This is with the Genesis 8 Basic Female as the only object in the scene, so a fresh load.

SB8Problem.png
    1426 x 1080 - 306K
    SB8Problem2.png
    1426 x 411 - 95K
    Post edited by sirgeefive on
  • sirgeefive said:

Richard Haseltine said:

sirgeefive said:

The only thing that is listed in (16): UV Set is the option "Base Female". This is with the Genesis 8 Basic Female as the only object in the scene, so a fresh load.

What are you looking for? That is the Genesis 8 UV set, which is what Skin Builder is made for. If you are using Genesis 8.1 female then you will have two choices, for the Base female and the 8.1 Female, with Skin Builder maps needing the former to be applied.

• I am looking to apply the supplied UV Map to the base Gen8F character. I am not a seasoned Daz3D user. There is very little documentation for Daz, and most of the available learning resources are for very old versions of Daz. I purchased this and several other products to make characters. There are no instructions for using this product. So, when I use this product, and I get to the "Gens" tab, the top half of the dialog is disabled as the Torso UV Map has not been applied to the character as is implied on the first tab of the Skin Builder 8. So, I have spent several days combing the internet attempting to find out how me, a novice Daz user, can use this Skin Builder 8 that I just purchased to do what it says that it does. So, I am looking for how do I get the Gens tab to be fully functional. Just telling me to select it and copy doesn't work. I am a novice. There is some way to get that Torso UV Map on the base Gen8F character. That is what I am looking for.

I followed your instructions. I selected the Torso with the Surface selection, I opened the Surfaces tab and navigated to what you suggested, and as I stated, there is only one UV Set that can ever be selected, regardless of what I do. The only UV Set that ever appears in that dialog is "Base Female". So, your suggestion of simply selecting the SB8 Torso UV dropdown simply does not work as it never appears there. The Gens tab always remains half-disabled. How do I make this work?

• sirgeefive said:

I am looking to apply the supplied UV Map to the base Gen8F character. I am not a seasoned Daz3D user. There is very little documentation for Daz, and most of the available learning resources are for very old versions of Daz. I purchased this and several other products to make characters. There are no instructions for using this product. So, when I use this product, and I get to the "Gens" tab, the top half of the dialog is disabled as the Torso UV Map has not been applied to the character as is implied on the first tab of the Skin Builder 8. So, I have spent several days combing the internet attempting to find out how me, a novice Daz user, can use this Skin Builder 8 that I just purchased to do what it says that it does. So, I am looking for how do I get the Gens tab to be fully functional. Just telling me to select it and copy doesn't work. I am a novice. There is some way to get that Torso UV Map on the base Gen8F character. That is what I am looking for.

I followed your instructions. I selected the Torso with the Surface selection, I opened the Surfaces tab and navigated to what you suggested, and as I stated, there is only one UV Set that can ever be selected, regardless of what I do. The only UV Set that ever appears in that dialog is "Base Female". So, your suggestion of simply selecting the SB8 Torso UV dropdown simply does not work as it never appears there. The Gens tab always remains half-disabled. How do I make this work?

The Anatomical Elements are separate models, included with most Pro Bundles for adult Genesis 8 Females and with most of the themed bundles for adult females since. The options will be different, I think, because they are separate models rather than parts of the base. You can't add detailed genital maps to the base figure using Skin Builder.

There is an option to open a user-guide from within Skin Builder. if that isn't working, and if other aspects are not working, how did you install? Some scripted add-ons like this do not work correctly if installed through Daz Studio itself, they need to be installed through Daz Central or Install Manager.

• At the top of the Gens Tab:

"Torso UV can also be used for skin sets that do not have any dedicated anatomy texture."

This line disagrees with your statement "You can't add detailed genital maps to the base figure using Skin Builder."

• sirgeefive said:

At the top of the Gens Tab:

"Torso UV can also be used for skin sets that do not have any dedicated anatomy texture."

This line disagrees with your statement "You can't add detailed genital maps to the base figure using Skin Builder."

Ah, I was misremembering. In that case I would suspect that some of the options are disabled because they are already set in the main Torso texture, this is just adding an overlay on top of that (the torso takes only a single map, which also includes the back of the head in Genesis 8 - Genesis 8.1 splits the torso and back of the head).

• Can you use Skin Builder to edit existing skins? Like adding overlays or changing the colour/saturation values of an existing skin? 

Yes you can edit existing skins.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Has there been any further progress on the GF8.1 update/solution? Color me insatiably curious.

Hi. No plans to update to 8.1 uv as this works fine on 8 and skins created on there can be used on 8.1 since it supports standard 8 uv as well.
  • Zev0,

ive been using skin builder for some time, Love It!  It's my favorite add on I own.  I've been making dozens of skins trying to figure out how I made one specific bump that I can't seem to recreate.

I don't know if the file naming scheme means anything, but mine is 124179.  The face bump file is fine, but I can't seem to make anything I'm looking for, for the rest of the body.  It's just the bump maps I'm trying to recreate.  Any advice?

edited September 2021

Hi, thank you:). Unfortunately that I cannot assist with, specially if the bump was a temp file and wasn't hard saved via a preset..Maybe it's still in the temp folder?

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Zev0 said:

Hi, thank you:). Unfortunately that I cannot assist with, specially if the bump was a temp file and wasn't hard saved via a preset..Maybe it's still in the temp folder?

I played around and figured out how to find what I needed and was able to do it all manually.  I appreciate the quick reply.  

Sweet. Glad ur sortedyes

• Hi there, I don't know if this has already been answered, but can you apply new eyebrows to the Genesis 8 female base? When i try it seems to juat add an extra pair of eyebrows (then you have two pairs of eyebrows). From what i can read from the product description, one should be able to edit existing skins with this option. Otherwise, great product. Thanks 

edited September 2021

Hi. You will have to remove the eyebrows of the old skin textures first before applying a new brow option, either do it manually through an image editor or you can use something like https://www.daz3d.com/brow-remover-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • First of all, thanks for the speedy reply. Great customer service!

I suspected an answer like this. I really think it should be clearer in the description of the product, that it isn't possible to "Swap" eyebrows. Purchasing an extra program for this feels a bit bitter (i have no Photoshop skills).

Perhaps an update of the description would be in line? Anyoldhow, thanks for an otherwise great product.

Kind regards

• charlesdickins said:

First of all, thanks for the speedy reply. Great customer service!

I suspected an answer like this. I really think it should be clearer in the description of the product, that it isn't possible to "Swap" eyebrows. Purchasing an extra program for this feels a bit bitter (i have no Photoshop skills).

Perhaps an update of the description would be in line? Anyoldhow, thanks for an otherwise great product.

Kind regards

The things like eyebrows are overlays, they can only add to what they go over (the skins that Skin Builder creates are browless).

You don't need great skills to mimic what Brow remover does - just make a selection of an area of plain skin near the brows, give it a soft edge (there is usually a feather feature for selection), copy it, paste it as a new layer, and slide it down to cover the brows. Of course you can refine the results in various ways (Brow remover has carefully shaped masks) and the technique won't always work if the forehead isn't fairly smooth but it is pretty simple in essence.