NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 5

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Last year it was 50% if you bought a new release from that PA as far as I remember.
    This time it looks like it's only 50% if you are PC+ (which I am not).
    We will see ...

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    That's a GREAT idea- use the gift certificate for the PA sale. You're thinking ahead :) Back atcha.

BTW, on the New Release page, the square promo on the upper right says PA stores will be 50%. I can't remember if that's what it was last year. Anyone remember?

According to my "records", towards the start of the PA Festival (as they called it last year) the new items were on 30% Intro for one or 50% for buying 2+. Later in the month all items went to 50% off for PC Members (I think after a lot of objections in the forums about the necessity to multibuy, but that may be a mis-memory) and occasionally they threw out coupon codes for $5 off $30+ and $10 off $40+
    There was also a coupon for a free Gen4 Bundle if you bought 3+ new items (I managed to get M4/V4/F4 and S4 Pro Bundles that way).
    Sounds like you have to be PC+ to get the 50% this year (unless they do multi-buys for everyone again).
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2014

Well that won't go over well if it's PC+ based. I've only been around a few years but it seems to me the PA sale is supposed to be for all members and not a select group. Wonder how the PA's feel about that. It limits their customer base, particularly new members. I am now PC+, but I still don't like the thought of that being the PA Sale gimmick. Hope that little promo box is just misleading. (Again, it's on the New Releases page, upper right. It also says, "Save punches and earn even more." So others will get a discount by having to buy things? Hmmm..)

Personally, I didn't jump at the 8% gift card thing because I'm doing the 70% thing elsewhere that ends today. There are quite a few V4/Genesis figures with great eyebrows on sale. I'm not liking all the hair colors on sale but not the original hair, so not nibbling at those. That sale ends in a few hours btw. If you have Poser there are quite a few cool sets, otherwise, you DAZ users might want to check out the art easel. It goes well not only in art studios but can be in other rooms as well. I had one in my den when I was doing magazine illustrations.

Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

That's what they did last year: 30/40/50% off for 1/2/3+, 50% for PC members.

edited December 1969

Thinking about that...the punches thing isn't anything new so far as earning discounts, but I hope it's not the buy three or four things to get a good one. I refuse to participate in those. It had been buy one, buy two...then buy three. They recently had a buy FOUR things. I'm not playing when they do that kind of thing. DAZ has, in the past, had some really nice discounts for the buyers so hopefully they will reward both the PC+ and the regular folks. I'm hopeful. My last post sounded like Debbie Downer. (Gosh, I hope there's no one by that name, lol!)

edited August 2014

LOL- we posted at the same time. Thanks for the info :)
    EDIT: And when I say I'm not participating in those, I mean the buy FOUR things. That's ridiculous IMO.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'll have to agree about the 'buy 4 things.' That was not to my taste, and sadly that was the men's sale! =-)

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-crew-quarters should be to your taste though :) Stonemason rocks again. It's showing 50% off too.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/pa-sale-2014

PA Sale is up and running. (Shortly after 1am.) Kind of a fun idea- they have different levels of punches that rollover to the next week. And for newbies, the different levels to get Daz Originals (most of us have Daz Originals if we've been around awhile.) One thing I am not seeing though- does it work for newly released Daz Originals? It doesn't currently say.

But again, you can not return anything used for punches or bought with punches.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-crew-quarters should be to your taste though :) Stonemason rocks again. It's showing 50% off too.

Only for PC+ members.
    Others have to buy 3 things at once to get 50% ...
    Forget it!
    End of sale for me.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Novica said:
    Stonemason rocks again. It's showing 50% off too.

Only for PC+ members. Others have to buy 3 things at once to get 50% ...Forget it! End of sale for me.

If it makes you feel any better, I just shelled out a lot for cordless horse clippers. I had to decide whether to get a really good, quiet, mobile clipper set for Stetson (horse) that doesn't heat up (it's ION, really cool) or spend it on 3D. So I'll be mostly sitting out with you. I don't blame you at all for sitting out, unless there are 3 things at the same time that you really, really want or need. I just don't need anything right now.

edited December 1969

I would have bought the new Stonemason and Parisa ... but not now.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

I kind of understand Kerya, for a different reason. It wont mater how good the sail is, it is just torture till Wednesday, lol.

I can understand the Quiet part for the clippers, isn't there blade oil to keep them cool. Or is that only good for human clippers?

edited September 2014

All clippers are oiled- but there is something about the ion clippers (don't ask me!) that keeps the blades a bit cooler according to some forums where I researched what actual horse owners recommended. There is also more run time- it somehow keeps the batteries from memorizing the charge-you know, when you recharge a battery when it's not fully depleted. If you're looking for clippers for your dogs, cats, or horses, check into Ion related items and see what you think. I'll try to follow up and let everyone know. It's a good sign when something is constantly sold out and back ordered again and again after coming back into stock. I've been watching these for about three months because they aren't cheap. (Edit: Google Andis Super AGR Plus Cordless Clipper. Stateline Tack has a 20% off so you get almost $50.00 off. Free shipping. I have to trim a horse, a dog, and a cat.)

I'm on the fence about getting these as I can always use action poses. Does Tengu go on sale much?
    http://www.daz3d.com/tengu23/gianni-6-vs-michael-6-hand-to-hand-combat

And yes, she does look quite nice I really like the eyebrows and the skin materials- not a perfect complexion.
    http://www.daz3d.com/parisa

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2014

Parisa, well no thought required there, in the wishlist till Wednesday.

As for Complexion, I think Kadix is working on something invaluable.
    Amazing Skins For Genesis 2 Females and For Genesis 2 Males
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44294/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited September 2014

I like Parisa's skin and eye color options. But not enough to buy. More an more these days, I pick up characters not for the morphs but because something interesting is the skin. I honestly tend to have different tastes in female facial look that what is currently the trend, so I find the facial features not to my taste.

I will buy Stonemason's set, and the poses for the Sci-fi weapons for men. Both look like great products I will use.

I'm holding off until later, because I want to make sure I completely understand the sale and discount. I find too often these days I jump to buy something in the morning and have discovered I missed out on putting something else i wanted in the cart or a coupon which is emailed later.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I must be pathetic in that regard, I didn't even click any of the preview pics before adding Parisa to the wishlist. The cover-pic was enough to say, why not.

I've been there in the past, purchase stuff, then I get an E-mail stating I should of had them in the cart at the same time, lol.
    There's always the next sail, if the funds are not there this instant. Or in my case, just so I don't forget about something when I am ready to do some purchases.

edited December 1969

They always do a catch up at the end of the sale, but not guaranteed. You just wouldn't get the punches benefit. I've got enough Genesis women, but could use a few more G2F. I do however, get Genesis from Rendo during the 70% off sales (which they extended btw)

I like those sci fi weapons poses. I checked, and I don't have the weapons. I think it's because I have other weapons and not planning on using them in the near future. The poses look good too- can use them together or apart.

edited December 1969

I just want some alien women. Real alien skins. Not just a dusting of alien freckles, but the works. =-) I need something good to use all those creature morphs with besides default.

The poses are good. Working on a render now. Plus the price is great. The sci-fi weapon set is a nice set too. Lots of different mats for the weapons.

I of course picked up the new Stonemason set.

edited December 1969

Wellll - alien skins free
    http://rendercandy.com/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/52
    Reciecup has other colourful aliens too ...

edited September 2014

Good heavens Kerya, where do you find this stuff? I look at that URL and have to smile- it's very creative.

Just a reminder to everyone to check Fast Grab, that $30 pool is a good deal. Remember when I combined it with that modern deco room and put the room poolside? The water renders nicely with this pool.

http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/indoor-pool

Okay, questions:
    I am doing Jepe's Ian Pierre, Jaime (Genesis), Raiden (M5) and I used Advanced Ambient (also tested it with Advanced Spotlight with that.) If the eyes seem to have a white ball/glow (not the entire eye) is that the reflection in the Surface tab? It's only with front views, from the side or 3/4th, I don't get the glow.

Also, I wanted the clothing to be realistic so I added the genitals, and couldn't get the materials correct on Jaime or Ian Pierre. I double checked and I had the genitals, not the main figure, selected. It doesn't matter that much as they won't be showing, but it still bugs me that they weren't working right. If anyone has time to check either of these dudes, I'd like to know if you get them working. (Ian Pierre will say Jepe's Ian Pierre) Jaime Character and Hair is the other one.

Also, is there a way to hide Ian Pierre's hair? (On his head, lol. Change of topic.)

I'll show you these three in the next few posts. Right now rendering Malachi (Lee 6) I'm deliberately not changing the lights for any of these.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2014

Jepe's Ian Pierre (Jepe)
    http://www.daz3d.com/jepes-ian-pierre

You can see the eye glow. Ian Pierre renders quickly, even at .20 shading rate. I tried again and couldn't find a way to eliminate the hair on his head. I must be missing something.

2000 pixels click to enlarge.

genesisIanPierre3.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    genesisIanPierre2.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    genesisIanPierre.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Jaime Character And Hair (Valea)
    http://www.daz3d.com/jaime-character-and-hair

Same lighting, (Advanced Ambient) and same eye reflection glow. Jaime also rendered fairly quickly.
    These are 2000 pixel renders, click to enlarge.

genesisJaime3.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    genesisJaime2.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    genesisJaime.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I really need to find some cheap male textures with body hair for Genesis 1 and 2. Thanks for sharing the renders and the links to the products.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

I really need to find some cheap male textures with body hair for Genesis 1 and 2. Thanks for sharing the renders and the links to the products.
    Does free work for you? : Nicholas for M4
    edited September 2014

Raiden For Michael 5 (Raiya)
    http://www.daz3d.com/raiden-for-michael-5

Same lighting. Also renders quickly.
    2000 pixel render, click to enlarge.
    EDIT: Added a fourth one with a different light.

RaidenGenieAngkorlts.jpg
    866 x 1100 - 332K
    genesisRaiden3.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 2M
    genesisRaiden2.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 2M
    genesisRaiden.jpg
    1455 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

You're welcome. And thanks Tramp :)
    I'll be going through more guys- I'm trying to see what renders quick, medium, longer- so that's why I am not changing the lighting.
    Okay, gone until tonight. You all have fun :)

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

You're welcome. And thanks Tramp :)
    I'll be going through more guys- I'm trying to see what renders quick, medium, longer- so that's why I am not changing the lighting.
    Okay, gone until tonight. You all have fun :)You're welcome. I use Nicholas as the skin texture for my character CSM Steven H. Panther, seen in the pics below.

Night-Warrior-Complete.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 302K
    Night-Warrior-cover-final.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 251K
    Beach-Boys-(small).jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 422K
    edited September 2014

Parisa (Gypsyangel)
    http://www.daz3d.com/parisa

I know several people have mentioned Parisa, I went ahead and got her because she was a good price and I like the eyebrows. Same light set up.

Rendering different views, same makeup. Check back on this post for a few more. I'm redoing the front view, here's another one in the meantime.
    large renders, click to enlarge.

Parisa4.jpg
    1090 x 1500 - 852K
    Parisa3.jpg
    1090 x 1500 - 861K
    Parisa2.jpg
    1090 x 1500 - 888K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135
    edited December 1969

Hmm, that's quite a set of eyebrows! (Haven't seen any like that on other characters recently)
    Thanks for doing this latest set of people - I have Raiden and Jaime but for some reaon have none of Jepe's men - maybe I'll get the chance later this month... :)

This discussion has been closed.