NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 5

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Oh my, Beach Pod ROCKS.
    Can we convince the vendors to do more in this series of architecture for the beach????
    Going to work on this for the next hour or so. It is NEAT. Anyone else get it that has tried it?

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Kiddo, you lost me, which isn't hard to do. Are you saying studio will recognize that you have Lee installed and all we do is use GM2? I like the looks of the heads you did. I think I like the third one, top row, the best.

Thanks. Yes, It is a strange way to do it, but that's the way it works. You would have to apply Lee's body and texture if you want to use them. I used several different textures on these. That is Malakai on the one you like. The ones with the thinner brows are Ryuu for M5.

edited December 1969

Ooooooh... I took a chance it would work out and did screenshots of a D-former step by step- it's still in progress but if this works, I'll give you everything you need to create a flat ledge from a particular set (that was too lumpity bumpity to put anything otherwise.) You'll get the coordinates and everything :) Taken me three hours so far because I have to do screenshots and type it up. Not done yet. Anyone who hasn't done landscape D-formers before?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Novica said:
    Kiddo, you lost me, which isn't hard to do. Are you saying studio will recognize that you have Lee installed and all we do is use GM2? I like the looks of the heads you did. I think I like the third one, top row, the best.

Thanks. Yes, It is a strange way to do it, but that's the way it works. You would have to apply Lee's body and texture if you want to use them. I used several different textures on these. That is Malakai on the one you like. The ones with the thinner brows are Ryuu for M5.

Hi, Luci45,

I'm happy you liked my heads. Reversing out is actually regularly done on things. As long as you have the required figure, it works. If the base figure used wasn't reversed out, you'd be getting Lee without buying him. :) Interesting approach you took to change the heads. I did purposely change the heads to have different proportions in keeping with some of the nationalities I used as well as for a good amount of variation. Hope they continue to be useful and fun. :)

BTW, Cris is short for Cristina. ;)

Great thread!

edited December 1969

Happy to have you visit us :) and thanks for the input. I'm not very technical on some of this stuff (just learned GenX2 and putzing with geometry shells again) so Luci and everyone else keeps me straight. (Well, they try.)

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Novica. :)

edited August 2014

This is FYI and something to consider regarding Summer Treehouse Cottage and Mountain Villa. They are basically one prop (can't remove walls/hide walls so you can get better views, doors and windows don't do anything) except the furniture in the treehouse are separate props.
    I have enough trouble getting good camera setups without dodging walls lol!

The thread is here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45126/

EDIT: some other interesting tidbits: 4GB of RAM to load the treehouse (then drops to 2GB), and 8GB for Nature-Swamp. My goodness, how much does a typical scene take?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45175/

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

I agree, like the beach pod. Lots of different angles and locations to hang out.

I confess the sale going on normally, might attract my interest, but buying so much to get a discount is not interesting to me. Love men's stuff. Just don'' love the present prices.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

The prices are a little bit high for me, I am still in the regular PC club till March, but I see they are giving an additional 20% on Oliver if you already own Dan Megapack which makes it 13.98 for regular PC members. I am holding out a bit for the big sale in September, I think it's the PA sale?

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Novica said:

Hi, Luci45,

I'm happy you liked my heads. Reversing out is actually regularly done on things. As long as you have the required figure, it works. If the base figure used wasn't reversed out, you'd be getting Lee without buying him. :) Interesting approach you took to change the heads. I did purposely change the heads to have different proportions in keeping with some of the nationalities I used as well as for a good amount of variation. Hope they continue to be useful and fun. :)

BTW, Cris is short for Cristina. ;)

Great thread!

Hi Chris. I do really love these. I'm sure I will continue to enjoy them and make some interesting characters from them with mixing morphs.

I hope you do more, like some females and Africans, Native Americans (North, South and Central.)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Ooooooh... I took a chance it would work out and did screenshots of a D-former step by step- it's still in progress but if this works, I'll give you everything you need to create a flat ledge from a particular set (that was too lumpity bumpity to put anything otherwise.) You'll get the coordinates and everything :) Taken me three hours so far because I have to do screenshots and type it up. Not done yet. Anyone who hasn't done landscape D-formers before?

Hey Novica, I'm sure you know about a lot more technical stuff than I do. I have a short attentions span sometimes and just haven't learned much modeling, for example. I have barely used D-Form and not well. I would love to know something about landscape D-formers. :-)

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    This is FYI and something to consider regarding Summer Treehouse Cottage and Mountain Villa. They are basically one prop (can't remove walls/hide walls so you can get better views, doors and windows don't do anything) except the furniture in the treehouse are separate props.
    I have enough trouble getting good camera setups without dodging walls lol!

The thread is here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45126/

EDIT: some other interesting tidbits: 4GB of RAM to load the treehouse (then drops to 2GB), and 8GB for Nature-Swamp. My goodness, how much does a typical scene take?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45175/

Wow!! That's way too resource intensive for my computer. I've only got 2GB RAM to begin with. I'd never even be able to load either set.
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

ME TOO! ME TOO! Yes, I'd love to know how to use D-Formers - still haven't got the hang of the things at all (I once managed to complete a tutorial more-or-less successfully in DS3 but that was a long long time ago...) :red:
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited August 2014

Here is an old dformer tutorial on YouTube. I think some things have changed in DS 4.6, but this tutorial is what taught me the basics.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

Hi Tramp :)
    Yeah, Taozen was the one who discovered the 8GB and I can just image the surprise when that RAM got going...it almost would have been comedic.

Luci and Melanie- FYI- the D-form example (tutorial, screenshots) is going to be for Hidden Waterfalls, if you have it. Will be flattening out/ creating an overlook to the falls. Rather fun- I experimented with the Beach Pod and Tiki Bar (a MUST have for tropical. Wishlist it! Nice totem pole props, neon sign, barstools.)

http://www.daz3d.com/the-hidden-waterfalls
    http://www.daz3d.com/tiki-bar

I am going to start an Art Studio D-Form thread so anyone who knows how to do D-formers can help those who haven't tried it- or for when we get stuck. Sometimes it just doesn't want to cooperate (lol, user error) so if someone else has that same product, they can jump in and assist. The first post, I'll put links to the other D-form threads where Jaderail and others answered my questions as I went through the first time (and later. I had more questions.)

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Here is an old dformer tutorial on YouTube. I think some things have changed in DS 4.6, but this tutorial is what taught me the basics.

Yep- me too! :)

• FWDesignFWDesign Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Oh my, Beach Pod ROCKS.
    Can we convince the vendors to do more in this series of architecture for the beach????
    Going to work on this for the next hour or so. It is NEAT. Anyone else get it that has tried it?

Glad you like it :)

I will have to see what other ideas we can come up based around the Beach Pod. But if you do have any suggestions please don't hesitate to let me or Anna know :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited August 2014

@barbult - Thanks for that tutorial link - I'll take a look and see how it goes.

@Novica - looking forward to that new thread...

I'd not been by this way for a couple of days so missed a few things I think, eg:

@KaribousBoutique - loved the Aiko 6 / FW-Lin render, really nicely done (She's on my wishlist as I couldn't justify the A6 Bundle when it came out along with all the other stuff I'd bought recently). And I know exactly what you mean about lacking inspiration/enthusiasm sometimes - I managed to motivate myself to do a couple of RRRR entries last weekend, but apart from that I've done very little for ages. I planned some Lee 6 stuff to post here but somehow it never quite happened.

@Luci45 - those Lee 6 add-on characters look interesting - I must wishlist them too (I'm down to my last $8 in store credit and trying really hard to stay within budget this month as next month should be PA Sale time - aaargh!)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Omg. Whilst playing with Persephone, (yes. I said "whilst.") I discovered GPU rendering with Reality/SmallLuxGPU. Holy. Just. Wow. I still have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, but... IT'S SO FAST!!! I have this ridiculously overpowered GPU (which I really don't need -- first person video games make me nauseous, lol. It makes Skyrim pretty, though!) and I'm excited to actually use it for something meaningful!!

I'm easily distracted by shiny things. I should probably try to, you know, actually RENDER poor Persephone. But... shiny new GPU rendering...

@Luci45 -- Your use of a D-Form on your house in the last RRRR was actually really good! I've only ever used them to move pesky pieces of hair out of shoulders and the like. Regarding the "free with $50 Olympia", if there's one thing you can usually count on, it's that Daz originals EVENTUALLY find their way to uber-discounted sales. I'm just a sucker with absolutely no other hobbies so my disposable income pretty much just moves into Daz's ledgers as soon as it hits my checking account. If only I didn't have to, you know, feed/clothe/house myself and my children... *sigh*

@MelanieL -- Thank you! I have Lee floating around in my runtime, too. He's on my list of toys that I haven't really played with yet. So many characters, so little time!!

edited December 1969

GPU rendering with Reality/SmallLuxGPU....

Karibou speaks of GPU.
    Great Personal Upgrades: she went to a spa?
    Gotta Pick Up: she went to a bar?
    Got Pretty Upset: she got the bill for the spa and the tab for the bar.

In other words, explain to DUH me what is GPU.... I'm probably the only one you completely lost- but thanks for giving me the opportunity to poke fun. :) (Wicked cackle. What's in my Pepsi anyway??)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    GPU rendering with Reality/SmallLuxGPU....

Karibou speaks of GPU.
    Great Personal Upgrades: she went to a spa?
    Gotta Pick Up: she went to a bar?
    Got Pretty Upset: she got the bill for the spa and the tab for the bar.

In other words, explain to DUH me what is GPU.... I'm probably the only one you completely lost- but thanks for giving me the opportunity to poke fun. :) (Wicked cackle. What's in my Pepsi anyway??)

Graphics Processing Unit.
    edited August 2014

Doh! I'm sorry!! GPU == Graphics Processing Unit, i.e., video card. All PCs have a *CPU* -- your computer's processor. Relatively speaking, your CPU is waaaaaaay slower than your GPU (video card), especially where you are calculating visual information. All native render engines (3Delight/Firefly/Vue/Lux) use your CPU. A few, like Octane and SLG (SmallLuxGPU) use your GPU to render images. The speed difference is... stunning. The trade-off is primarily stability. Octane is less "wobbly" than SLG for Lux, probably because Octane isn't free, lol. The other trade-off is memory. Your computer has a much broader ability to cache (store) information and use it in chunks. Your GPU kinda requires everything up-front. This means scenes rendered on your GPU will need to be simpler.

I apologize for not being clearer. My native language is Nerd. And, at my house, I'm usually the clueless one because my fiance is an electrical engineer who actually tried explaining to me WHY my GPU is so much faster than the CPU... at which point, my eyes started melting into my brain. Lol. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Your GPU can also be involved in CPU renders, btw. "Preview" modes primarily utilize GPU power. Lux also has a "hybrid" mode, which accesses both.

Post edited by Karibou on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited August 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

Products Used:
    FW Oliver HD Megapack
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fw-oliver-hd-megapack
    Cutting Loose for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/cutting-loose-for-lee-6

Since there haven't been new products for men until lately, I thought I would highlight these. :)
    Oliver is ready for Margaritaville. :lol:

oliver.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 386K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited August 2014

Doh! I'm sorry!! GPU == Graphics Processing Unit, i.e., video card..

I like my GPU's better, lol. Thanks for explaining!
    Tjohn- looking good- yes, let's have more men! Jimmy Buffet comes to Pensacola often- the Margaritaville hotel is here. Your dude looks like he would fit right in.

EDIT: I think we should have a DAZ conference here. Or just a party!
    http://www.margaritavillehotel.com/

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Doh! I'm sorry!! GPU == Graphics Processing Unit, i.e., video card..

I like my GPU's better, lol. Thanks for explaining!

I like your GPUs better too -- as long as I DON'T get the spa bill and the bar tab, lol! (But the spa sounds darn good!)

Anyway, this is Persephone in 3Delight. I am still playing with Lux, lol! She is absolutely flawless -- love those eyes. I'd give her three thumbs-up, but I only have two thumbs... Lol.

Invited Guest Contributor

Used:
    http://www.daz3d.com/persephone
    http://www.daz3d.com/olympia-for-genesis-2-female
    http://www.daz3d.com/aslan-court-2
    http://www.daz3d.com/jewell-hair
    Persian Beauty Outfit (G2F starter essentials)
    http://www.daz3d.com/evening-gown-for-genesis-2-female-s (earrings)
    http://www.daz3d.com/tulle-treasures (earring textures)

Off to do some actual work-like-things for a while now, lol.

Persephone1.jpg
    1540 x 2000 - 472K
    edited December 1969

I'll loan you a third thumb, and a fourth. I do like the lighting on her and agree with you totally about the eyes. Scrumptuous.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45214/ is the d former thread- I leveled a surface and used Polygon Group Editor to trim a ground plane. I'm working on the scene now (took all evening to do the screenshot explanations. I did the screenshots yesterday but had to write them up.) If you don't know how to do D-formers or need help tweaking one, just post over there. :)

edited December 1969

So Lilith is coming this Wednesday. Promos say if we buy an item in the Magic and Music sale we get an additional 20%. Is that on top of the normal 51% for figures?

Slosh's Genie is an unusual approach. He's right that it can be used as a bikini (although I won't use G string bottoms from the rear view.) I think the "network" of pieces is an interesting approach, quite creative. That vest hanging loosely down is cute, and the genie lamp is a nice touch. One thing that does appeal to me is that there is a piece of clothing (a strip) that is close to her navel- it rather diverts attention from the plunging panties. Quite interesting.

http://www.daz3d.com/as-you-wish-genie-outfit-for-genesis-2-female-s

• ForbiddenWhispersForbiddenWhispers Posts: 1,426
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Oh my, Beach Pod ROCKS.

I'm pleased you like it. :) I can't tell you how much fun I had working on this set, and then doing the promos.

Like Mike said, if you have anything you wanna suggest for us to make for the PC, please feel free to PM either of us.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Oh my, Beach Pod ROCKS.

I'm pleased you like it. :) I can't tell you how much fun I had working on this set, and then doing the promos.

Like Mike said, if you have anything you wanna suggest for us to make for the PC, please feel free to PM either of us.

Thank you, I do have an idea and will PM you. I am using the Beach Pod over in the D-Former thread but folks really haven't seen what I am doing with it yet. I haven't put it in the scene yet. We really, REALLY appreciate you doing such a nice item for the PC. The little props you put with it (martini glasses, the books) were a nice touch and the crumpled towel and rumpled sheets are so classy- really catch the shadows well.

This discussion has been closed.