It's Raining Men 2020 Contest - And the Winners Are...

KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
edited January 2021 in The Commons

Voting ends January 24 at Daz midnight or GMT -7 hours. Have you voted yet?
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/464171/it-s-raining-men-2020-voting-thread-now-accepting-votes#latest

Hello everyone. First I'd like to let everyone know that yes, the It's Raining Men contest will be held again this year. For those who are new and don't know about it, the It's Raining Men contest is an annual contest held in the Art Studio each year celebrating the men and the male figure. It's usually held from November 1 until December 31 each year. It started as a challenge by the forum mods in 2015 because of a very active forum post complaining about the lack of male centered products. I'd like to think things have changed. We have many more products than we used to with more added each year. And yet, there is still an overwhelming number of products focused more for the girls than the guys. So each year, this contest is held to remind everyone that men still exist in the 3D world and we want to celebrate them in all their sexiness, goodness, and dorkiness.

Each year the contest has grown and changed, but it still focuses on the male figure. We always have some amazing images entered from both newbies and veteran forum members alike. So if you're new, don't think this contest isn't for you.

For those who don't know who I am, I've been a forum member since 2014. I was a Community Volunteer for about a year until life and a new profession as a writer took me away from being as active in the forums as I once was. I don't get to hang out here as much as I used to, but I still love coming back to check in on people and threads to see what's new when I can. I'm nobody special. Just someone who loves Daz products, this forum, and the friends I've made here. I volunteered to run the contest in 2017 2016 and have been running it every year since with the help of a lot of people from these very forums. This is not a one woman show, and I couldn't run this contest without the support of people from this very forum and a lot of the PAs who have donated both their time and their products. The contest doesn't always run smoothly, but I do the best that I can to make each year better than the last.

What's new? Since there is a male focused contest being run by Daz3d this month, I have decided to hold off on opening the entry thread for the contest until after the Movember contest has finished. However, all images created between November 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 will still qualify for entry into the the contest despite the entry thread not opening until the end of the month. You will still have two months to come up with your entries for the contest. The contest is open to any forum member.

I'll be posting the rules for the contest as well as the prize packages as they are created in this thread. Most of the rules will be the same as last year. You can take a look at that thread here.

Anyone can ask questions for clarification in this thread. No images are to be posted here. All images should be posted to the official entry thread in the Art Studio when it opens. You can still upload your image to the Daz galleries or the forums or DAZ other contests. The main qualifcations for entry are that your images must have been created between November 1 and December 31, 2020 and they must focus on the male figure.

Call for prize donations: We can't run this contest without your support. Each year, we have great prize packages with the help of forum members and PAs. Any donation is greatly appreciated. If you're a forum member and you'd like to donate a gift card, please PM to let me know. If you're a PA and would like to donate a product from your shop, PM me and we can work out the details. I try to make it as stressfree and easy on PAs as I can with regard to prize donations.

If anyone has any questions, please post them below.

The Entry Thread has been created in the Art Studio: It's Raining Men 2020 Entry Thread Link

Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2020

I want to stress that It's Raining Men has always been focused on the need to lift up our 3D male figures. It's a time to celebrate them and to show our desire for more male oriented products. Please remember this when making your entries. While having females in an entry is acceptable, it must be clear that the male is the star of the render.

This is especially true for the Storytelling categories. Any entry NOT showcasing the men will be disqualified from the Storytelling category.

Contest Rules  

1.  You can enter up to 3 Images. Only one prize per person. Winner gets the prize category with the highest value if the winner's images win in multiple categories.
    2.  Entries must all be new renders between November 1 thru December 31, 2020.
    3.  Once the Entry thread is posted: Please submit your entries to the Entry thread with an attached file for voting purposes.  We do need the attachments to compile the voting thread. Yes, you can post to your DAZ Gallery, DeviantArt, and Social Media.
    4.  Entries can use any render engine/program of choice as long as the main focus is the male figure.
    5.  Title is optional, but encouraged. Please tag all categories you are entering. Only tagged entries will be added to special categories. You can tag as many categories for which you       think your entry qualifies. If your entry is NOT tagged it will only be entered in the main category. No exceptions.
    6.  Postwork is allowed.   
    7.  Female figures are allowed in an image, but the main focus of the image must be the male figure. The focus is on the male figure. Females are only supporting characters.
    8.  Keep it within the TOS.
    9.  Signatures must be small and unobtrusive.
    10.  Re-Puposed Category - This category is to take an article of clothing NOT designed for the males and using it on or with the male figure in a new way.  This does not mean throwing the male into a dress and calling it done.  For inspiration, please check out voting threads from previous years in the links and look for those images which are tagged Re-Purposed.
    11.  Female morphs are not allowed in this competition including, but not limited to, the use of such products as GenX which enable users to apply female morphs onto the male body.  We want to concentrate on the male figure.  However, scripts that allow artists to swap UVs allowing female skins to be used on the male figure WILL BE ALLOWED as no morphing is involved and UV swapping is a pretty common occurrence for most of us.
    12.  Swapping out an entry is allowed as long as your final entry is in by the "end date".  No swapping will be allowed once I've posted the  'Contest Closed' post and whatever image you have posted at that time is the entry you will have to keep.
    13. Prize listing for Carrara category. If your entry was made in Carrara, please post a screenshot of your entry in Carrara in your entry post along with your entry.
    14. Yes PAs can join in the fun. This contest is open to all forum members.

Rules for New User Entry:

• Must meet all the other rules of the contest.
    • Must be the first It's Raining Men contest the artist has entered.
    • Need to enter at least two renders, preferably three.
    • Need to have started creating in DS within the past 18 months, and
    • Need to include the month and year they started in their entries if they want to be considered.  

Rules for Storytelling:

• You can use the Title to give a hint as to what's happening in the render.
    • Portraits (where neither the background, the clothing, the character's expression and/or the characters actions are feeding us any information) will be disqualified.
    • If you feel the story won't come across unless there is text, you can write a short paragraph (no more than 4 sentences long) to accompany your entry.
    • I encourage you to check out the still ongoing (BTW, I apologies to those still awaiting their feedback. I'll try to get some time to finish that! ~FenixPhoenix) feedback thread from last year to understand/see examples of several ways to build the mood in your renders.
    • Like last year, entries must state "Storytelling Entry" to be counted, so don't forget to include that statement for us to find it!

Rules for Polishing your Storytelling Entry from last year:

• You must have submitted an entry the previous year.
    • You must choose only one of your entries and re-create it using all the new things you've learned!
    • Please tag your entry with: "Polishing Storytelling" and include an attachment of your original entry from last year.
    • Optional: you can include some details regarding what you changed and why if you want.
    • Tag your entry as "Polishing Storytelling Only" if you're entry doesn't qualify as a new entry and you are only reworking your scene from last year. These entries will NOT count as one of your three entries in the main contest.
    • Entries which are totally reworked into a new image can be counted be entered into the general contest and the main categories.
    Links to Previous years' contests and entry threads:
    If you are unfamiliar with the It's Raining Men Contest here are links to previous It's Raining Men Challenges/Contests year's contest:
    It's Raining Men - Forum Team Challenge to the Forum Community
    It's Raining Men - Challenge Winners
    Mod Challenge It's Raining Men Thread for Judging (ALL 140 ENTRIES WITHOUT COMMENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD)
    edited January 2021

Prize Categories

1st Place
         $20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz 3D
         $20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @Diomede

3 Products from Darwins Mishap(s) store no collaborations/no Daz Originals
            2 Products Total from FenixPhoenix's and Esid's catalog excluding Daz Originals
            2 Products from Syvlan's store excluding Daz Originals
            2 Products from SBibb's store no collaborations/no Daz Originals

2nd Place
          $10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz 3D
    Products from Darwins Mishap(s) store no collaborations/no Daz Originals
             1 Product from Syvlan's store excluding Daz Originals

3rd Place
          $5 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz 3D
            1 Product from Darwins Mishap(s) store no collaborations/no Daz Originals
            1 Product from Syvlan's store excluding Daz Originals
            1 Product from SBibb's store no collaborations/no Daz Originals

Honorable Mention

$10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @isidorn
            1 Products from SBibb's store no collaborations/no Daz Originals

Best, Original Re-Purposed entry
          $10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @isidorn
             1 Product Total from FenixPhoenix's and Esid's catalog excluding Daz Originals

Best Entry by a New User

• Must be the first It's Raining Men contest the artist has entered.
    • Need to enter at least two renders, preferably three.
    • Need to have started creating in DS within the past 18 months, and
    • Need to include the month and year they started in their entries if they want to be considered.  

$20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by L'Adair
           $10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @gerterasmus

Best Toon Entry
           $20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @Knittingmommy
    Product from Darwins Mishap(s) store no collaborations/no Daz Originals

Best entry created in Carrara
           $20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @Diomede

Best Entry by a PA (Published Artist)
            $20 Daz 3D Gift Certificate (annonymous)

Special Categories:

Best Storytelling Images - See Below for Details and Categories:
    Like with the previous year, all users who participate in the storytelling category will recieve a thank you gift once the competition finishes. And, like with the previous year, we'd like to decide on the winners ourselves using the criteria we assembled last year. That way the storytelling aspect remains the biggest contributor to their score regardless of each user's skill.

• You can use the Title to give a hint as to what's happening in the render.
    • Portraits (where neither the background, the clothing, the character's expression and/or the characters actions are feeding us any information) will be disqualified.
    • If you feel the story won't come across unless there is text, you can write a short paragraph (no more than 4 sentences long) to accompany your entry.
    • I encourage you to check out the still ongoing (BTW, I apologies to those still awaiting their feedback. I'll try to get some time to finish that! ~FenixPhoenix) feedback thread from last year to understand/see examples of several ways to build the mood in your renders.
    • Like last year, entries must state "Storytelling Entry" to be counted, so don't forget to include that statement for us to find it!

Gold Storytelling - This category only: Must use at least one product from the catalog of FenixPhoenix and Esid to qualify. Only one entry per person in this category.
          1st Place
             $10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate
                 3 Products Total from FenixPhoenix's and Esid's catalog excluding Daz Originals
                          We'll also create a texture LIE preset for him/her of a custom Face or Body Scar.
                 2 Products from Darwins Mishap(s) store no collaborations/no Daz Originals

2nd Place

We'll also create a texture LIE preset for him/her of a custom Face or Body Scar.

3rd Place
              2 Product Total from FenixPhoenix's and Esid's catalog excluding Daz Originals

Silver Storytelling - Any image which tells a story can be entered in this category. Entries in the Gold category are automatically entered in the Silver. Up to two entries per person in this category.
          1st Place

$10 Daz 3D Gift Certificate donated by @watchdog79

2nd Place      

3rd Place

Polishing Storytelling - Only one entry per person.

• You must have submitted an entry the previous year.
    • You must choose only one of your entries and re-create it using all the new things you've learned!
    • Please tag your entry with: "Polishing Storytelling" and include an attachment of your original entry from last year.
    • Optional: you can include some details regarding what you changed and why if you want.
    • Tag your entry as "Polishing Storytelling Only" if you're entry doesn't qualify as a new entry and you are only reworking your scene from last year. These entries will NOT count as one of your three entries in the main contest.
    • Entries which are totally reworked into a new image can be counted be entered into the general contest and the main categories.

1st Place

Moved to create 3rd Place in Gold Storytelling Category
         2nd Place 

Check back for updates as prize donations are added. Adding prize donations is an ongoing process as I continue to accept donations until the end of the contest.

• Volunteers: If anyone would like to help with the contest behind the scenes, please PM me. I'm always looking for volunteers to help make the contest run as smoothly as possible, help make decisions when questions arise, and for moral support.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

Yaaaay! laugh

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818

YES, I Love this contest! Thanks KM for seeing to it again :)

• I'm glad you guys are excited. I know it's my favorite time of the year even if it does get hectic by the end of it.

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

Glad to see this running again! :-D

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

why hold off?

the Daz one is for social media and residents of USA only cool

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Sounds fun.

edited November 2020
    Stezza said:

why hold off?

the Daz one is for social media and residents of USA only cool

Honestly, there are a few reasons.

First and foremost, my writing schedule has been taking my focus so I'm behind schedule in getting everything into gear for the It's Raining Men contest. I'm currently finishing up two books, and I'm just starting another that needs to be finished before December 11. I almost cancelled or was going to see if someone else would be willing to take on the contest. Iit's a big job, and it was really too late to try to get soone else up to speed on everything it takes to pull off this contest. In the end, I decided I didn't want to cancel. The contest is something I look forward to each year even with the amount of work it takes to pull off. Typically, I start asking for prize donations at around the middle of October, but time slipped by me while I was trying to meet deadlines.

Second, I didn't want to compete with the Daz3d contest or take the focus away from that contest. Daz3d has always been a great supporter of the It's Raining Men contest, and I appreciate everything they do to help me pull off a contest of that magnitude. It was a decision I made and in no way was requested by Daz3d.

Third, most of the entries don't typically get entered until later in the month in years past. Even if I opened the entry thread today, the first entries wouldn't typically get entered until closer to the end of the month. I don't think delaying the entry thread will have that much of an impact on the contest. Most of the entries usually happen in December anyway.

Fourth, I try to make the contest better and more visible each year. Each year, there are complaints about the visibility of the It's Raining Men contest by being held in the Art Studio. It's where the contest belongs since it's a heavily image laden thread. That's where the entry thread will be when it opens.

This year, the discussion thread is in the Commons. This thread. We'll see how it goes as far as visibilty for the contest. I actually don't think it will have much of an impact one way or another, but we'll see. Each time this thread gets bumped with disccussion, the contest gets visibity so it's possible those complaining about where the contest is held will find they were correct. I don't know. We've always had a decent number of entries each year despite being in the Art Studio.

The main thing I want people to know is they can start working on their images for the contest now. They can post their images to their galleries if they wish and it won't impact their qualifying for entry to the It's Raining Men contest. Once the entry thread is open, I'll post a link in this thread and make an announcement so everyone who has an image they wish to enter can do so at that time.

• commons isthe thread I mostly visit usually forget or don't think of the others, do check out the pa commercial products one not as much as usual as most post in the commons instead now too and of course on occasion the platinum being a member but yeah it's really the commons section I stick to, probably missing out on a lotof interesting stuff in the others

• commons isthe thread I mostly visit usually forget or don't think of the others, do check out the pa commercial products one not as much as usual as most post in the commons instead now too and of course on occasion the platinum being a member but yeah it's really the commons section I stick to, probably missing out on a lotof interesting stuff in the others

A lot of people in the forums only visit the Commons. It's sad they might be missing a big part of what the other threads have to offer. I do my best each year to make the It's Raining Men contest as visible as possible. In the end, that's all I can do. I don't think it's hurt the contest having it in the Art Studio because we've get a large number of entries each year. Not as many as that first year but still a nice showing to make it the highlight of the year for me to keep it going. We'll see how things go this year and whether the number of entries increase with the wider visibility.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

You can still upload your image to the Daz galleries or the forums or DAZ other contests.

How about posting in other places outside DAZ, like DeviantArt or social media?

• isidorn said:

You can still upload your image to the Daz galleries or the forums or DAZ other contests.

Yes, same as we decided last year. You can post your images to your DA galleries. Social media is okay. It would be nice if you tagged it, but I'm not on a lot of social media so I'll probably miss it even if it's tagged. However, if anyone tags it, use #Dazstudio_ItsRainingMen so I can find it on the few places I do use. Just remember all artwork needs to have been created between November 1 through December 31 to qualify. I shouldn't be able to find it posted anywhere before November 1st on the off chance I see it somewhere.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,460

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

LOL, DAZ needs to get their gallery working again so we will stop nagging them about the store not working.

edited November 2020

I'd forgotten how risque that video was until I watched it again just now. I love that song!

LOL, DAZ needs to get their gallery working again so we will stop nagging them about the store not working.

I hadn't even tried the Daz gallery since the site upgrade. I hadn't realized it was having issues as well. I knew the forums were a little messed up. My browser still isn't showing icons properly yet. I'm having to guess at a few based on experience with the forums.

ETA: I should have the rules and the start of the categories up by tomorrow. I'll post a notice when that's done. Bear with me!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I'd forgotten how risque that video was until I watched it again just now. I love that song!

I hadn't even tried the Daz gallery since the site upgrade. I hadn't realized it was having issues as well. I knew the forums were a little messed up. My browser still isn't showing icons properly yet. I'm having to guess at a few based on experience with the forums.

ETA: I should have the rules and the start of the categories up by tomorrow. I'll post a notice when that's done. Bear with me!

There is no problems  with the Gallery.  Daz said before the upgrade took place that the Gallery would not reappear

I quote from the firt post of DAZ_Rawb's thread

*snip* After we bring the site back up all parts of the site should be back up and functional, with the exception of the Gallery, which will come online a bit later. The Help Center and Daz Blog will remain live during this update. *snip*  

• Chohole said:

There is no problems  with the Gallery.  Daz said before the upgrade took place that the Gallery would not reappear

I quote from the firt post of DAZ_Rawb's thread

*snip* After we bring the site back up all parts of the site should be back up and functional, with the exception of the Gallery, which will come online a bit later. The Help Center and Daz Blog will remain live during this update. *snip*  

Ah, I missed that. Thanks, @Chohole!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    isidorn said:

Yes, same as we decided last year. You can post your images to your DA galleries. Social media is okay. It would be nice if you tagged it, but I'm not on a lot of social media so I'll probably miss it even if it's tagged. However, if anyone tags it, use #Dazstudio_ItsRainingMen so I can find it on the few places I do use. Just remember all artwork needs to have been created between November 1 through December 31 to qualify. I shouldn't be able to find it posted anywhere before November 1st on the off chance I see it somewhere.

does that mean that this year you can only use Daz Studio to enter?

edited November 2020
    Stezza said:
    isidorn said:

does that mean that this year you can only use Daz Studio to enter?

No, you can still use other programs other than Daz Studio to render as always: Carrara, Blender, and Poser or some other render program.

ETA: the suggested hashtag is simply to signify that the program is a Daz sponsored contest. Another possible hashtag could be #DazForums_ItsRainingMen

• The rules for this year's contest have been posted. Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs clarification of any rules so I can adjust them as needed. I'll have the categories and starting prizes up soon. I will continue to take prize donations until the end date of the contest. Thank you for your patience.

• I've the categories posted. I'm still working on sorting through the prize donations and will be posting those in the next day or two. Bear with me.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I did not see it mentioned, but I assume the rules will be as previous years in that the same artist can't win more than one prize in the main category?

• isidorn said:

I did not see it mentioned, but I assume the rules will be as previous years in that the same artist can't win more than one prize in the main category?

Ah, I must have missed that, but you are correct. Winners of mulitple prizes get the top prize first and then their name is removed from lower categories. So if the same person is in the top spot for 1st place and another category, they get that 1st place, but not the lower prize. I'll amend the rules. I don't think I ever had that actually in the rules. I think it was always posted in the first post of the thread, but I set up the first post of this thread differently this year. I'll work on it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Yay, always a great event each year.  Check your PM.

• Lookin' forward to this, as every year!

• Looking forward to this as well! Time sure flew by!

• I've updated both the Rules and the Prize Categories. Please bear with me as I have vendors double check I didn't make any mistakes when updating the prizes. If anyone has any questions about rules or how things will work please be sure to ask in this thread.

• Time to start putting together that 'mood board' !