It's Raining Men 2020 Contest - And the Winners Are...

Comments

• Time to start putting together that 'mood board' ! 

I look forward to your entry(s) this year! :)
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited November 2020

Let's hope the store gets fixed soon, because the Golden storytelling category requires one to see what one owns from the two stores (which is quite a limiting condition in its own right). This is currently not possible, because the store refuses to unhide owned items.

@Knittingmommy - could you, please, clarify the rule on the mandatory use of product(s)? Is it a single product from any one of the two stores, or is it one product from each (i.e. two mandatory products must be used in the scene)?

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2020

Let's hope the store gets fixed soon, because the Golden storytelling category requires one to see what one owns from the two stores (which is quite a limiting condition in its own right). This is currently not possible, because the store refuses to unhide owned items.

@Knittingmommy - could you, please, clarify the rule on the mandatory use of product(s)? Is it a single product from any one of the two stores, or is it one product from each (i.e. two mandatory products must be used in the scene)?

It's one product. FenixPhoenix and Esid are siblings who work together, and until recently, they were one store. They still work together so at the moment, they have all the same products in both stores. They still collaborate and both are in charge of the storytelling categories. While it might change in the future, for now both stores have exactly the same products.
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027
    edited November 2020

Indeed we will always work together, we just needed both of us to have a store for accounting purposes and tax reasons. But if you owe one of my products, that product is also esid's, so you are fine :). Think of our stores as one single store. :)
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • Made adjustments to the prizes.

Still taking donations from anyone who wishes to participate. Any amount accepted. Volunteers are always appreciated. While there isn't much to do until the end of the contest, let me know if you'd like to volunteer. Duties are mostly moral support for when I get frazzled, but could also include judging any images not up for open voting, discussion about rules that are challenged, clarifying I've worded something so others understand what I'm trying to say without being ambiguous.

• More prize updates!

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684

Oooh, good luck everyone!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2020

More prizes updated. Thanks to all our donors so far.

PAs: @DarwinsMishap, @FenixPhoenix, @Esid, and @Sylvan

Forum members: L'Adair, @isidorn, @Diomede, and @watchdog79.

We can't run this contest and have such good prize packages without supporters like you. All of you make my job easier. I will be taking prize donations until the last day of the contest so if anyone else wishes to make a donation, please PM me. Donors can still enter the contest even if they've made a donation.

Thank you, everyone!

ETA: added L'Adair's name as a donor which was accidentally left out. My apologies.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Gah! I forgot about L'Adair. She's both a donor and an important part of the It's Raining Men contest and I forgot to thank her! My apoloogies to L'Adair. She kindly donates both her time and money to this contest especially the New User category. Even before that became a part of the contest, she has always been a staunch supporter of the contest and someone I rely on to keep this contest going each year.

I'm so sorry for forgetting you. I can't do this without you.

• You said that female morphs are not allowed.  But is that ban just for using it as a primary "male" character? Can they be included as a supporting "female" character?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

You said that female morphs are not allowed.  But is that ban just for using it as a primary "male" character? Can they be included as a supporting "female" character?

The idea is that you can't use transfered female morph for your male figure.

• I can live with that. Thanks.

• You said that female morphs are not allowed.  But is that ban just for using it as a primary "male" character? Can they be included as a supporting "female" character?

Yes, this ban is only when used on the male characters. You can use the female morphs on the female supporting characters.

Leana said:

You said that female morphs are not allowed.  But is that ban just for using it as a primary "male" character? Can they be included as a supporting "female" character?

The idea is that you can't use transfered female morph for your male figure.

Exactly this!

• I've updated the prize listings. Thanks to @SBibb we have more prizes added from their store to multiple categories. I appreciate their support for the It's Raining Men contest.

Things are shaping up, and we've got awesome prize packages again this year. I'm looking forward to seeing entries once the Entry thread goes live.

• Do entries for the "Polishing Storytelling" category count towards the 3 entry limit?

• LaPartita said:

Do entries for the "Polishing Storytelling" category count towards the 3 entry limit?

Good question, let's see what KM says. It's clear that the 3 limit is for the overall category. So you could always include a tag in your Polishing Entry establishing the entry is only for the category and not for the overall competition. Something like: "Polishing Storytelling Only". That way it won't be included as part of the 3 limit.
  • SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Thanks for posting this in the commons! This looks wonderful, count me in as someone who likes to render guys. Maybe I'll cook something up, but in any case I'll be keeping a close eye on it. :-)

• LaPartita said:

Do entries for the "Polishing Storytelling" category count towards the 3 entry limit?

Good question!

LaPartita said:

Good question, let's see what KM says. It's clear that the 3 limit is for the overall category. So you could always include a tag in your Polishing Entry establishing the entry is only for the category and not for the overall competition. Something like: "Polishing Storytelling Only". That way it won't be included as part of the 3 limit.

My first instinct is to say no, that entries in the Polishing Storytelling category aren't entered into the other general categories. My understanding of the category is that anyone entering this category is working on improving images from last year so technically the images aren't new. Entries into the rest of the contest categories state the images need to have been created during November and December of this year.

I'll have to have a chat with @FenixPhoenix more about particulars to make sure we're both on the same page as far as that category are concerned. Tagging those entries as "Polishing Storytelling Only" is a good idea.

I will get with @FenixPhoenix and let everyone know what was decided.

• SaraT said:

Thanks for posting this in the commons! This looks wonderful, count me in as someone who likes to render guys. Maybe I'll cook something up, but in any case I'll be keeping a close eye on it. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

With the Gallery reopening said to be potentially several weeks out the contest might have more difficulty posting and tagging entries to be classified easily. LOL, not that the prior task of doing that was a quick, easy job.

Given that I find enough time and energy to create anything at all, I am thinking of creating a comic strip. Would that be fine as a storytelling entry, please?

• With the Gallery reopening said to be potentially several weeks out the contest might have more difficulty posting and tagging entries to be classified easily. LOL, not that the prior task of doing that was a quick, easy job.

Entries still have to upload an attachment so it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Hopefully.

Given that I find enough time and energy to create anything at all, I am thinking of creating a comic strip. Would that be fine as a storytelling entry, please?

I'm guessing yes. I believe there was at least one comic strip type entry last year as well. @FenixPhoenix can weigh in on that question and let you know for sure.

I'm guessing yes. I believe there was at least one comic strip type entry last year as well. @FenixPhoenix can weigh in on that question and let you know for sure.

Thank you. I should rather have said "comic strip", since it wouldn't be a cartoon, more like ptohographs.

• LaPartita said:

Ok, we've discussed it internally with KM and L'Adair and we've come up with a few rules regarding the Polishing Storytelling category. So, if you're building upon your previous scene (so tweaking the scene rather than re-working it), then it will count for the category but not for the overall contest. So you'll only be able to participate in this specific category with that entry. However, if you use the same concept but change the execution so that you're basically re-making a new scene, then the entry will count towards the 3 limits and will be eligible to win the overall competition.

For this reason, we want to remind contestants for the Polishing Category to also attach their previous image with the new one. That way we'll be able to see whether your entry is sufficiently different from your previous one to be considered "new".

Certainly, comic strips will be allowed but we would like to limit it to no more than 5 panels.

LaPartita said:

Certainly, comic strips will be allowed but we would like to limit it to no more than 5 panels.

Thank you. I plan a classic sized strip with 3 panels.

• For those interested in Storytelling, here are the criteria we used last year to select the winners (which we would use this year as well). I hope this information proves useful when it comes to building your story. In order of importance, we rated five aspects as follows:

1. Clarity | How clear was the story told with the render?
      • If text accompanied the render, was it cohesive with the render shown?
      • New limitation: If you feel the story won't come across unless there is text, you can write a short paragraph (no more than 4 sentences long) to accompany your entry.
    2. Creativity | How unique was the concept and how creatively was the story conveyed?
    3. Mood | Did the mood of the render coincide with the message/story?
      • Meaning, were the colors, light, poses, expressions, and/or composition appropriate or cohesive choices for what was happening in the presented story?
    4. Composition | How well were the elements integrated into the render?
    5. Subject | Was a male character the star of the story/render?
      • Last year we opted to deduct points if that was not the case. This year, we'll disqualify the image. So remember that the star of the render has to be the male character. If you have any question regarding this point, let us know and we'll clarify further.
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Could someone help me out here and dumb down the "Storytelling"...because, like last year, I don't really get it.

Thanks.

• Could someone help me out here and dumb down the "Storytelling"...because, like last year, I don't really get it.

Thanks.

Just think about the category entries as "events" rather than a portrait or pin-up. As long as the render feels like a story is taking place or an event is happening, then it will be considered as storytelling. Of course, clarity is key.

Last year I shared these following examples:

• You are allowed to add a short story/description to it as well. An example of this is this wonderful render. I've also done this myself, using the description to give a gist of the story unfolding in my image here, and here.
    • You can also use the title of your story to give us an idea of the concept you're portraying. Such as this render did. Just the title with the image tells us a lot. We can imagine this girl going into war, for example. So the storytelling is happening and it's up to us to follow it. Another example of using the title would be these amazing render, this one and this one. I've also used the title as a clue to what's happening in the image with this render (one of my first).
    • You can also even add dialogues (like a comic such as this render did) if that will help establish your story. I added dialogues on this render and this one to help establish my concept.
    • You can also show moments that show an event is taking place such as: halloween monsters, Attack on Mars, Autumn Soul, Its, The Challenge, Drunk Aliens, Sadness 05 and The Last Golden Sword. While not renders, these paintings are also great examples of a concept/idea delivered visually: Guard, Until I Say, Substitution, Warm and Betrayal.

I also invite you to check out last year's entry thread and the feedback thread for more examples. Last year we got some entries that were more portraits than storytelling renders, but that was mentioned in the feedback thread.

Hopefully, these more or less give you guys ideas of what we're looking for in the Storytelling Category :). At any rate, I'll leave you with the following examples from our own promos where storytelling (an event) is taking place:

• I've updated the rules to the Polishing Storytelling category. Please let me know if anything doesn't make sense. Thank you.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

RE: StoryTelling Category

- Last year was fun!

- Appears there were some lessons learned and minor improvements to the rules.  Did mention it was already fun?  Will be even better!

- The professional feedback was amazing.  Did I mention there was feedback?  From professionals?  Very constructive and nurturing.

I encourage everyone to be interested.  Check out last year's feedback thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/383106/irm2019-storytelling-feedback-completed/p1