It's Raining Men 2020 Contest - And the Winners Are...

14567810»

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74
    edited January 2021

Congratulations to all! 

FenixPhoenix said:

Updated the Golden Storytelling Winners to account for the overlap. @Smoke is now second place and @BlueFox has won third place. Thank you for participating!

Thank you! It was such a nice surprise to me. :)

Post edited by BlueFox on
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74
    edited January 2021

@FenixPhoenix  I would be interested in feedback, as well. Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Post edited by BlueFox on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

I wouild be interested in feedback too please.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151

I'd be interested in feedback too, if you can - thanks.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

Thank you for the interest, added @BlueFox, @Sueya, @Carola O (who sent a PM), and @MelanieL to the list!

• AndricausAndricaus Posts: 108

I'd be down for a critique!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Congratulations everyone!!

Andricaus said:

I'd be down for a critique!

Added you to the list!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172
    edited January 2021

I fell off the face of earth into a video game, so I haven't looked at the forums at all in a couple weeks, but I just wanted to pop in here and belatedly say thank you to everyone who voted for me, and congratulations to the other winners!

And, of course, thanks to KnittingMommy for running this contest!

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Winners! If you haven't gotten your vendor prize selections to @Daz_ann0314 yet, please do that ASAP. There are still a couple of people she has NOT heard from. Thank you!

• Thought I had posted already, but just wanted to say congratulations to the winners, and good work everyone who participated!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172
    edited February 2021

Knittingmommy said:

Winners! If you haven't gotten your vendor prize selections to @Daz_ann0314 yet, please do that ASAP. There are still a couple of people she has NOT heard from. Thank you!

Guilty. I'll get it to her today. 

edit: great, store search isn't working for me right now.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245
    edited February 2021

Thank you so much @FenixPhoenix for the custom scar as part of my prize. You did an amazing job with it (especially with including a mirrored version for the left side, too). Here is a quick render of the scar.

scar_prize_00.png
    750 x 971 - 1M
    Post edited by smoke14 on
  • He looks great, @smoke14,thanks for sharing! You can also fade the scar out by opening the image layer editor (diffuse layer map) and lowering the opacity value for the scar layers :).
  • Update for those waiting for the feedback thread, I'm still compiling a list of references and resources to have at hand for quicker referencing (supplying the link/resource) when giving feedback. This should make it a smoother process to give everyone feedback. Hopefully, I'll have the thread set by next weekend and then we'll take it from there. Thank you for your interest and patience!

• Prized distribution update!

All vendor selections should now be in the accounts of the winners who had vendor prizes. All gift certificates directly from Daz3d should be in your store credit. And all gift codes from donors should have been PM'd to you if you won one. Please let me know if anyone is still missing anything from their prize package or if you are still having trouble with a gift code. Make sure to double check your store credit because the redemption screen does NOT put up any type of confirmation that a code has been redeemed. You need to look in your store credit to see if it's been added properly. There should be a manually added line item with a gift certificate and the code with the last four digits with the amount added in your store credit register.

It's been a pleasure running the It's Raining Men contest again. If there are no outstanding issues, this contest is being put to bed until next November. Don't forget to check out @FenixPhoenix's thread if you are getting a critique of your storytelling submissions. I'm not sure if the thread for that has been created yet, but I'm sure @FenixPhoenix will post a link once the thread is live.

• Feedback Thread

Ok, I've finally gotten around to setting up the feedback thread, please take a look and subscribe to those who asked for feedback. I'll try to update as often as I can but I thank you for your patience in advance. If you have more than one entry and would like me to focus on the other entry rather than the one I chose (first under your name, besides the asterisk) post in the thread to let me know!

• I have been offline, so a belated congratulations to the winners!

Also a big thanks to Knittingmommy, FenixPhoenix, and the other volunteers!

• Knittingmommy,

I've been waiting to see if would be addressed, but so far nothing. Any chance of finding out how well (or in my case, how bad) our entries did this year? I'm pretty sure others would like like to know also. Could you maybe post the spreadsheet showing the voting totals?

Thanks,

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

The Feedback thread seems to only refer to entries for the storytelling category. Are you planning to provide feedback for other entries?

• sueya said:

The Feedback thread seems to only refer to entries for the storytelling category. Are you planning to provide feedback for other entries?

Hi Sueya,

Thank you for the interest. Unfortunately, as the purpose of the thread is to provide feedback regarding storytelling and it's my way of thanking those who participated in our sponsored contest, I won't be giving feedback to non-storytelling entries this time around. Opening it up to everyone would also make things hard since there are a lot of participants. I hope you decide to enter our category next year, though :).

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited May 2021

I'm always interested in feedback, and it's really hard to get honest or expert criticism. There is always need for improvement.

My main piece was of course inspired by Frank Frazetta and his works on Conan as well as the Savage Sword series.  I originally studied photography, film and video but have spent my career in computer programming and game development and have just the last couple of years started to get back into art thanks to Daz.

Sinceyou like to talk about composition, I'll note the concious part of what I was trying to achieve. Using a rule of 3rds but in a vertical offset, the foreground characters weapons and the mound all converge on the main character as if he is in a tunnel where he is trying to break out of it. The the scene below and around him as if to engulf him in darkness with the brightest point directly behind him. It's unsure if the character will be able to hold back the encrouching darkness, but he will stand in defiance of it, "do not go gently into that good night" sort of idea.  Every time I look at it I find more stuff wrong with it, espeically his neck and the blood splatter from the horse and probably have tried some better rim lighting.

Post edited by charles_2239525 on

charles said:

I'm always interested in feedback, and it's really hard to get honest or expert criticism. There is always need for improvement.

My main piece was of course inspired by Frank Frazetta and his works on Conan as well as the Savage Sword series.  I originally studied photography, film and video but have spent my career in computer programming and game development and have just the last couple of years started to get back into art thanks to Daz.

Sinceyou like to talk about composition, I'll note the concious part of what I was trying to achieve. Using a rule of 3rds but in a vertical offset, the foreground characters weapons and the mound all converge on the main character as if he is in a tunnel where he is trying to break out of it. The the scene below and around him as if to engulf him in darkness with the brightest point directly behind him. It's unsure if the character will be able to hold back the encrouching darkness, but he will stand in defiance of it, "do not go gently into that good night" sort of idea.  Every time I look at it I find more stuff wrong with it, espeically his neck and the blood splatter from the horse and probably have tried some better rim lighting.

I've added you to the list. Your entry is indeed quite strong already, so I'll take a good hard look to see come up with areas of opportunities that you may want to explore. I'm giving the feedback on this thread. @Gordig's turn is this weekend and then I'll be doing yours the week after. Unless someone else wants feedback, that means I'll finish giving feedback quite soon (a great feat considering how long I took last year!)!

• I didn't even realize you were doing this (which is great!) until the other night. Thanks again!