It's Raining Men 2020 Contest - And the Winners Are...

Comments

• TobiasTobias Posts: 106

Voted

• voted
  • SymmsSymms Posts: 31

voted

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Voted, and man was it hard to pick only three!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

It was sure hard for me to vote for just 3 as there were so many excellent renders!!!

But I did vote!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I voted.  Well organized Knittingmommy, thanks for all of your efforts.  My only (minor) complaint was being forced to choose first, second, and third place, when they were all about equal.  It seems to me that if we only get to select three votes out of a hundred and twelve renders, that places 1-3 will sort themselves out by a simple majority of votes, without asking voters to choose an order. 

It depends on how you decide to tabulate the results.  I prefer putting less stress on the voter.  However, at this point it is just an alternative idea for the future, and not that big of deal. :)

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

Voted - amazing entries, all!

• Voted!

• UnifiedBrain said:

I voted.  Well organized Knittingmommy, thanks for all of your efforts.  My only (minor) complaint was being forced to choose first, second, and third place, when they were all about equal.  It seems to me that if we only get to select three votes out of a hundred and twelve renders, that places 1-3 will sort themselves out by a simple majority of votes, without asking voters to choose an order. 

It depends on how you decide to tabulate the results.  I prefer putting less stress on the voter.  However, at this point it is just an alternative idea for the future, and not that big of deal. :)

If I remember correctly from previous years, it didn't really make much of a difference in the voting. I remember trying to see if the numbers were different based on number of votes vs points per rank and they all worked out about the same. The winning renders in previous years had so many votes that the ranking system and the number of votes had very little difference so I'm not sure if it really matters that much as far as the voting goes. I'm certainly open to changing how the votes are tabulated for next year after we see how things shake up this year. I will know more once the voting is over for this year.

• I voted - and not for myself - very very hard to pick just three

next year can we vote for ten?

• Voted!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Voted!

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited January 2021

Daz fixed the problem with the forums/fora. So I will vote with this ID.

As a thank you for your wonderful gift @FenixPhoenix

21_nightcap.jpg
    800 x 640 - 405K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

xmasrose (aka tulipe) said:

Daz fixed the problem with the forums/fora. So I will vote with this ID.

As a thank you for your wonderful gift @FenixPhoenix

Glad you liked them, xmasrose! Is that a mix of Floyd and Ollie?

• AndricausAndricaus Posts: 108

After being locked out of the forums for a week, I have voted!

• Yes it is with Christian 8 skin.

• Voted! Tough picking my favorites, had too many.

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74

Voted.

Thank you @knittingmommy and @FenixPhoenix for all your hard work on this competition! Gigi, here are a couple of renders with your wonderful freebie, thanks for sharing! (I hope you'll do Ken's scars from Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star one day! :-) )

Kenshin_sitting_small.png
    989 x 1600 - 2M
    Kensin_Action_small.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M

Those renders are great, @SaraT! Thank you for sharing! I love how Kenshin came out in that cell-shaded style!

I hadn't heard about "Hokuto no Ken", I'm guessing his scars are from bullets? We are working on a gunshot wound pack and we'll extend it to a scar pack after finishing that one, so those may work :). Esid is working on the morphs, I haven't seen them yet though, as I'm finishing up another product.

Thanks! It was some time ago since I watched it (to say the least--nostalgic memories of my youth here), but I'm pretty sure the bad guy made Kenshiro's scars with his finger. (Martial-arts magic in a post apocalyptic world.) But you're right, that's a bit like gunshots. Only there are seven of them in the shape of the constellation ursa major. I think there's usually some lines in between too.

SaraT said:

Thanks! It was some time ago since I watched it (to say the least--nostalgic memories of my youth here), but I'm pretty sure the bad guy made Kenshiro's scars with his finger. (Martial-arts magic in a post apocalyptic world.) But you're right, that's a bit like gunshots. Only there are seven of them in the shape of the constellation ursa major. I think there's usually some lines in between too.

Ah, very interesting! We have planned a "fantasy scar" set which would involve scars or wounds made by magic, but I must admit I'd never thought of a finger leaving that kind of mark.

• Just wanted to remind everyone you have 4 more days to vote for your favorites in the It's Raining Men contest. Voting ends January 24 at Daz midnight or GMT -7 hours. Go to the Voting Thread to vote now.

@xmasrose (aka tulipe) Nice render. I love seeing the scars on your character. They look great.

@FenixPhoenix Those are some nice looking scars. Looking forward to seeing what else is in the pack and using them.

@SaraT I love your toon effect. Mind sharing your process? Did you do that in Daz Studio or in postwork?

edited January 2021

Sure, I used Oso toon shader. I like it because it's very flexible, you do multiple render passes and then combine them in GIMP (what I used) or photoshop. I like that as I'm used to canvases (mainly for light composition), but it's not a "one click" solution, but not really much postwork either (more like applying filters and thresholds etc). The renders result in one flat color layer, one outline layer, and one shading layer.That way you can then manipulate the shading layer to taste, e.g. do some sharp shadows like I did. There's a good pdf for the product that explains the GIMP/Photoshop part too. 

I also used cartoonized to get more toony proportions, and I think it's good not to have a too realistic skin. This one is Yuzuru. 

Post edited by SaraT on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Voted

• Thank you @Knittingmommy.

If anybody liked the nightcap or the nightgown I made them a freebie.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

Voted - good luck to all entrants.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

I have voted.

Some incredible entries, including those who are skillful at flesh tones and those who took the time to construct a complex scene with plenty of props. The lighting was strong on most entries as well. Congrats to all entrants.

• I voted last weekend. The entries are incredible, it was very difficult to pare it down!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,805

voted yes