The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,091

I have not tried any of the bridges, no. It says for the Mac OS it supports High Sierra. I'm on Sierra. So, I didn't want to try upgrading. I'm hoping someone will start filling me in with info. I just finished wataching the two videos for the DAZ to Blender Bridge. I'm guessing Blender would be the least expensive. Still, I hope Maya lite is supported. I haven't checked their site yet, for any info.

I think there's hope here, though, for the future, as the bridges supposedly feature auto conversion of textures.

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21
    inquire said:
    FWIW " Today OTOY is releasing the first public preview (PR1) of Octane X for macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - completely rebuilt from the ground up using Apple’s Metal Graphics API, and fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs across the Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro product lines." https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/ Quoting from an email with their support team "At the moment, only the following AMD GPU are supported in OctaneX under Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6: Radeon Pro Vega II Duo - 412 OB* Radeon Pro Vega II - 206 OB Radeon VII - 200 OB 5700 XT - 170 OB Vega FE - ~161 OB Vega 64 -~148 OB Vega 56 - ~117 OB Vega 48 - 108 OB 5600M - 108 OB 5500M - 77 OB Vega 20 - ~50 OB We are expecting to have the full Metal support of AMD GPUs in the upcoming Mac Os 11 Big Sur."

This, too, sounds exciting. Is there a bridge from DAZ Studio to Octane X? 

I believe Octane X would be via a plugin rather than a bridge (but am not 100% sure) I tried to get the PR but don't have a compatible graphics card at this time and will have to wait until it is full Metal support in macOS Big Sur

https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,496
    inquire said:
    FWIW " Today OTOY is releasing the first public preview (PR1) of Octane X for macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - completely rebuilt from the ground up using Apple’s Metal Graphics API, and fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs across the Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro product lines." https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/ Quoting from an email with their support team "At the moment, only the following AMD GPU are supported in OctaneX under Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6: Radeon Pro Vega II Duo - 412 OB* Radeon Pro Vega II - 206 OB Radeon VII - 200 OB 5700 XT - 170 OB Vega FE - ~161 OB Vega 64 -~148 OB Vega 56 - ~117 OB Vega 48 - 108 OB 5600M - 108 OB 5500M - 77 OB Vega 20 - ~50 OB We are expecting to have the full Metal support of AMD GPUs in the upcoming Mac Os 11 Big Sur."

This, too, sounds exciting. Is there a bridge from DAZ Studio to Octane X? 

I believe Octane X would be via a plugin rather than a bridge (but am not 100% sure) I tried to get the PR but don't have a compatible graphics card at this time and will have to wait until it is full Metal support in macOS Big Sur

https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/

Still no DS Mac Plugin for Octane what I see, but if they make one I'll grab it.

Well, it looks exciting, but, yes, it doesn't mention a plugin for DAZ Studio. 

Here's something I've found and I'm wondering about. If I render an animation and save it as a Movie using OPEN GL as the Render choice, it comes out looking really good. I took screen shots of one  I made using the Kwan Wrestling Animations (also for Genesis 8 Male). So, I'm wondering, if iRay goes by-by, is this movie rendering a viable option? 

Also, as a related issue, if I wanted to chance the Movie into a Gif file so that I could post it on a web site, is there a safe, free Gif maker for the Macintosh that I could use? If not, what would be a good gif maker for me to buy?

Going to try and enclose a screen shot to show you what I mean. (And it rendered really fast.)

Kwan vs Guy 1.png
    947 x 1031 - 349K

OpenGL is often enough for animations but compared to 3DL or Iray it is far less quality.

Right. I agree. But we could even do short 1 or 2 image animations and render as a movie. Any thoughts on a Gif Maker, so I could save the movie in Gif format?

Can't you just save as a sequence of images and then stitch them together to a movie or animated gif?
    And I know there are gif-makers that take a movie file as source and turns then into an animated gif.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210

I was thinking about getting a Nvidia eGPU for my iMac. Is that possible with the current versions of Daz Studio?

I have DS 4.12.0.86 pro and the latest beta version, both 64-bit. My iMac is late 2017, 32 gb memory, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and running on High Sierra 10.13.6 (I'm not touching Catalina! lol)

If it is possible still, what are the recommendations? There's so much choice, and to be honest, I'm a bit lost. TIA :)

(Oh, and I'm in the UK, btw, if that makes any difference to recs)

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    Kaye Kaye said:

I was thinking about getting a Nvidia eGPU for my iMac. Is that possible with the current versions of Daz Studio?

I have DS 4.12.0.86 pro and the latest beta version, both 64-bit. My iMac is late 2017, 32 gb memory, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and running on High Sierra 10.13.6 (I'm not touching Catalina! lol)

If it is possible still, what are the recommendations? There's so much choice, and to be honest, I'm a bit lost. TIA :)

As far as I know, the latest version of DAZ requires the latest nVidia drivers which are not available for MacOS.

Kaye Kaye said:

DS 4.12.0.86 is the last version of DS with an Iray version that works wth GPU on macOS, guard it like your precious ;-)
    As for eGPUs I haven't used it (stick to my old MacPros 2012 with rael card slots.)

Just hoping: It appears that all of the recent bridges to go from DS to Maya, Blender, etc., have some problems, such as you can't import with poses. I'm hoping DAZ introduces, in the future, another rendering medium within DAZ Studio, such as the Arnold engine or the V-ray engine. And, as Maya is working to be Metal compatible, wouldn't it be great to render with a different engine in Metal within DAZ Studio? Maybe we'd have to pay for that version of DS, but that seems OK.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210

Thanks, @Totte, @Platnumk :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do going forward. Whether to PC or eGPU. I should write more books, make money and see how it falls ;-)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

anyone have any luck installing the latest DS 4.12 (I think it is installer date 2020-06-16T07:51:12Z) I get Install Failed! I am running 10.15 I wrote to support but havent gotten a reply yet (its been a while) I want to use the new bridge and try out diffmorphic or the other one that bridges to blender

Milo said:

anyone have any luck installing the latest DS 4.12 (I think it is installer date 2020-06-16T07:51:12Z) I get Install Failed! I am running 10.15 I wrote to support but havent gotten a reply yet (its been a while) I want to use the new bridge and try out diffmorphic or the other one that bridges to blender

If you are using DIM then make sure it has Full Disk Access in your Security Settings

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    Platnumk said:
    Milo said:

If you are using DIM then make sure it has Full Disk Access in your Security Settings

That worked, didnt think of that.  Thank you.
    I had manually installed it and the Daz to Blender but what a pain doing that was.  

Milo said:
    Platnumk said:
    Milo said:

That worked, didnt think of that.  Thank you.
    I had manually installed it and the Daz to Blender but what a pain doing that was.  

Your welcome 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Note that if you want to GPU render in Iray, 4.12.0.86 is the last version for which Nvidia has MacOSX drivers.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    Platnumk said:

I'm aware that it's a stupid question, but I wanna ask.

I currently run Mojave and have been reluctant to move to Catalina. The newest version of DAZ Studio is 4.12.1.118.

Can these two play well together, or am I going to run into trouble if I update?

I'm running the latest version of DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina without any problems,  Tho I have seen others report having problems.  Also note that 32bit Apps like hexigon will no longer work as it removes all support for them.

The problems I had with the latest DS 4.12 and Catalina were with animation—and animation is the only thing I use DS for. The problem with spontaneously and repeatedly disappearing keyframes, coupled with keyframes not working at all with many morphs, made for a train wreck, causing many, many, many wasted hours and a lot of lost work.

I had to revert to 4.11 to be able to work at all. 

mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

I currently run Mojave and have been reluctant to move to Catalina. The newest version of DAZ Studio is 4.12.1.118.

Can these two play well together, or am I going to run into trouble if I update?

I'm running the latest version of DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina without any problems,  Tho I have seen others report having problems.  Also note that 32bit Apps like hexigon will no longer work as it removes all support for them.

The problems I had with the latest DS 4.12 and Catalina were with animation—and animation is the only thing I use DS for. The problem with spontaneously and repeatedly disappearing keyframes, coupled with keyframes not working at all with many morphs, made for a train wreck, causing many, many, many wasted hours and a lot of lost work.

Have you bug reported this?

edited August 2020

I've also noticed a problem with keyframes not being created/remembered -  if a start G8 in the default "A Pose" at frame 0 & create a keyfram then move to say frame 30 and apply a pose that also loads props it then overwrites the keyframe at frame 0 as well so that there is no transition from the "A Pose" to the newly applied pose.  Which can be very frustraighting when trying to do an animimated dforce sim.  

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • Platnumk said:

I've also noticed a problem with keyframes not being created/remembered -  if a start G8 in the default "A Pose" at frame 0 & create a keyfram then move to say frame 30 and apply a pose that also loads props it then overwrites the keyframe at frame 0 as well so that there is no transition from the "A Pose" to the newly applied pose.  Which can be very frustraighting when trying to do an animimated dforce sim.  

The keyframe at frame 0, is that the only keyframe? If you create an additional keyframe, what happens then?

Platnumk said:

The keyframe at frame 0, is that the only keyframe? If you create an additional keyframe, what happens then?

Even if you create 3 or 4 keyframe,  as soon as you load a pose which also loads a prop it will set all keyframes to that pose.  It seems it only does that when you load a pose that also loads a prop,  but if you apply a pose that doesn't load a prop as well then it works as it should.

The only work-a-round that I have found is to load in the pose + prop, save the pose without the prop then apply the just the pose it's self.

This is the pose set that is causing the problem https://www.daz3d.com/electric-guitar-collection-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    Totte said:
    mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

It's been being discussed in these forums for months, has been bug-reported by several people, and has reportedly been reproduced by Richard Haseltine and by Daz Technical personnel, who purportedly are working on a fix. See, e.g.:

Bug Report: Animators Beware, DS 4.12.1.117 deletes values keyframes en masse

Many object properties will not save keyframes anymore (and other problems)

mavante said:
    Totte said:
    mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

It's been being discussed in these forums for months, has been bug-reported by several people, and has reportedly been reproduced by Richard Haseltine and by Daz Technical personnel, who purportedly are working on a fix. See, e.g.:

Bug Report: Animators Beware, DS 4.12.1.117 deletes values keyframes en masse

Many object properties will not save keyframes anymore (and other problems)

Good, then it's most probably on a "to be fixed" list.

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21
    edited August 2020

Using dforce, has anyone had errors compiling the kernel extensions (done in the background upon first initializing the asscoiated device) ? I'm on 10.15.6 .

2020-07-22 09:15:47.279 WARNING: /src/dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine 2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: Build Program driver returned (517) 2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0x1021e00 (ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine) (err:-2) 2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log: Error returned by cvms_element_build_from_source2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: Build Program driver returned (518) 2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0x1021e00 (ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine) (err:-2) 2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log: Error returned by cvms_element_build_from_source2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(499): ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11) 2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: Source built for calcEdgeCollisionRepulseEdge. Build log: Error returned by cvms_element_build_from_source

Post edited by 42snoopy42 on
  • Platnumk said:
    Platnumk said:

Even if you create 3 or 4 keyframe,  as soon as you load a pose which also loads a prop it will set all keyframes to that pose.  It seems it only does that when you load a pose that also loads a prop,  but if you apply a pose that doesn't load a prop as well then it works as it should.

The only work-a-round that I have found is to load in the pose + prop, save the pose without the prop then apply the just the pose it's self.

This is the pose set that is causing the problem https://www.daz3d.com/electric-guitar-collection-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8

It seems to work for me in Windows. I've asked a Mac expert to try and replicate on his mac.

I've also noticed quite a problem with the keyframes in animation. Just agreeing that there is a problem.

• Hi there! I'm wondering, how to install bridges on Mac? I want to install bridge to Blender for now, but there is no scripts/bridge menu like in Win version for me. I'm using current DS version. Excuse me for a stupid question. Thanks!

edited August 2020

What to do about my DIM? I bought two pose products yesterday, and tried to download them with the DIM, v 1.4.0.58 64-bit, Mac. I tired a number of times. Each time, I got "Download Failed." I have submitted a ticket to DAZ HELP, Tech Support, but that will usually take DAYS! I tied again today, and the same thing happens: "Download Failed." So, do you think it's safe to do a Manual Download and install these two pose sets? If I do a Manual Install, I won't be able to remove those pose sets with the DIM. Should I start another Directory, named something like Daz Manual Installs, and then I could just delete that if I got the DIM working, with Tech Support help?

Or, should I try and download the DIM again? Might that help, or might that make things worse?

Is anyone else having an issue with this version of the DIM?

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.33.35 AM.png
    670 x 293 - 58K
    Post edited by inquire on