The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,091
    edited August 2020

OK, I downloaded, (Manual Download) the zip files for the two pose sets. Now, I suppose I could put those into Characters/People/Genesis8Male/Poses/ etc.

And, also into the Runtime/Support Folder.

But, what would I do with the Manifest.dsx and the Supplement.dsx files?

There's basically the same situation with the other pose file set. I'll include a screen shot.

SWOLE Pose Files.png
    666 x 373 - 111K
    Post edited by inquire on
  • inquire said:

OK, I downloaded, (Manual Download) the zip files for the two pose sets. Now, I suppose I could put those into Characters/People/Genesis8Male/Poses/ etc.

There's basically the same situation with the other pose file set. I'll include a screen shot.

If you "install" it manually, i.e. unzipping it directly, then you don't need the Manifest and Supplement files.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    inquire said:

Don't unzip the files,  but put them into DIM's Download Folder,  Run DIM and select Work Offline,  they should then appear in DIM's Ready To Install tab

Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 20.21.06.png
    1744 x 1408 - 949K
    Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 20.22.07.png
    1522 x 1374 - 394K
  • The downloading issue has been reported.

I did get a response back from a Tech Support Person, saying that she was unable to reproduce this issue.

Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Don't unzip the files,  but put them into DIM's Download Folder,  Run DIM and select Work Offline,  they should then appear in DIM's Ready To Install tab

@Platnumk: OK, I did locate the DIM's Download Folder. So, instead of unzipping those files, I should just put them in the folder, run DIM, select Work Offlione, and if they appear in the Ready to Install tab, Install. That should not produce any problems, right?

• inquire said:
    Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

@Platnumk: OK, I did locate the DIM's Download Folder. So, instead of unzipping those files, I should just put them in the folder, run DIM, select Work Offlione, and if they appear in the Ready to Install tab, Install. That should not produce any problems, right?

Correct.

OK, well thank you very much for the help. I did as Platnumk suggested. I've been trying it out with DAZ Studio to see that the poses actually are in place, and then that they work on figures. Thank you all very much. I've learned something today.

@Platnumk: A very special thank you. You probably saved me a lot of time.

inquire said:

@Platnumk: A very special thank you. You probably saved me a lot of time.

Your welcome

Just a thought: How about if we all put  in requests at Apple Feedback -- https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

to ask Apple to test, in their upcoming new Apple ARM Silicon chip computers,  3D products, specifically DAZ Studio, that Mac users use, even if the top level professionals do not use, say, DAZ Studio or Poser. There probably are more Mac users of DAZ Studio than there are of the very expensive applications. Perhaps Apple will oblige. I've already put in my request.

Question about the Mail app: First: It sometimes seems to quit for no reason. Checking the Disk Utility, everything seems fine. Also scanned it for a virus, and scanned in my ~Library folder. Also fine. I have the Mail app on backup drives.

Question: Is it OK to drag the Mail app from a backup drive onto my main HD? Or, are there parts in the System OS that would not transfer, and would/could this result in problems?

inquire said:

Question about the Mail app: First: It sometimes seems to quit for no reason. Checking the Disk Utility, everything seems fine. Also scanned it for a virus, and scanned in my ~Library folder. Also fine. I have the Mail app on backup drives.

Question: Is it OK to drag the Mail app from a backup drive onto my main HD? Or, are there parts in the System OS that would not transfer, and would/could this result in problems?

As long as you make a backup of your current version (in case ypou need to put it back) then you should be able to replace it.  

Have you concidered trying one of the other mail apps available onthe app store,  I've found Spark - Email App by Readdle to be quite a good replacement (and best off all its free).

OK. Thank you for the response. Never heard of Spark. Does it have features Mail does not have?

inquire said:

OK. Thank you for the response. Never heard of Spark. Does it have features Mail does not have?

It has a lot of features that apple mail doesn't, you can find out more HERE

Wondering about moving up to Catalina, with a late 2013 Mac Pro. Now running Sierra, 10.12.6. What's stopping me?

(1) I've read so much about how DAZ Studio has problems running, about trying to set permissions, etc. Have those problems been solved with the latest update to Catalina? 

(2) Been using Alsoft's Disk Warrior. If I move up, I won't be able to repair APFS disks. Is Apple's Disk Utility better in Catalina? Do others feel confident just using Disk Utility?

(3) Are there advantages to using Catalina, as compared with sticking with Sierra?

inquire said:

Wondering about moving up to Catalina, with a late 2013 Mac Pro. Now running Sierra, 10.12.6. What's stopping me?

(1) I've read so much about how DAZ Studio has problems running, about trying to set permissions, etc. Have those problems been solved with the latest update to Catalina? 

(2) Been using Alsoft's Disk Warrior. If I move up, I won't be able to repair APFS disks. Is Apple's Disk Utility better in Catalina? Do others feel confident just using Disk Utility?

(3) Are there advantages to using Catalina, as compared with sticking with Sierra?

I have no problems running DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina,  The permissions problem still exists.

The biggists problem is that Catalina is 64bit only so if you rely on any apps or software that are 32bit (like Hexagon for instance) then you will be out of luck as they won't run at all

• inquire said:

Hi Inquire.  I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 on a 2015 Mac mini and DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86.  On my 2016 Retina Macbook (the one without a fan and one USB-C port), I'm running Catalina (latest version) and DAZ Studio (latest version) without difficulties.

It's been a couple of weeks since I installed DS on the Macbook and copied my DAZ libraries from the mini to the Macbook. I think I had to tell the DIM installer to open despite not being "vetted" by Apple.  Don't recall any other installation worries from that point forward.

Can't speak to Disk Warrior vs. Disk Utility.  Perhaps someone will join in and talk about that.

Catalina gets rid of 32-bit apps.  Had to update Photoshop Elements from version 10 or 11 to the 2020 version.  Works fine though Adobe put a dumbed down front end on the app (easy to circumvent.)  I'm comfortable with Catalina, though it is on the Mac that gets used less frequently.  Interesting tidbit: sample scene rendered on the Mac mini in 18 minutes and on the Macbook in 19 minutes.  That little Macbook does better than I thought it would.

Lee

edited September 2020

Well, interesting that the Sierra is faster than Catalina, at least on Lee Moon's 2015 Mac mini.

Is the Catalina Disk Utility strong enough to repair an HD? I've been saved a few times by Disk Warrior when Disk Utility could not do the job, simply by having Warrior rebuild an entirely new disk catalogue.

One of the things that annoys me at present is that Mail started quitting if I delete Junk Mail, or if I delete items in all accounts. A few days ago I did the Restart, Hold Down Command Option thing and reinstalled the OS from the Recovery Disk. But that problem still continues. Is there a mail app that will substitute for Mail and that will pick up my accounts, and my contacts, and still open any saved emails I have? I took a look at Spark (mentioned above), but it requires at least High Sierra, and I don't know if it will do the things I just mentioned.

Post edited by inquire on

Still thinking/preparing to move up to Catalina. I've read of the Permissions not working in DAZ Studio. Maybe the Permissions are not set correctly for the Documents folder or for the Shared folder. Is there a Repair Permissions utility there in Catalina that would take care of that? I also believe someone posted a Terminal Command to do the job of correctly setting Permissions, but I can't locate it. If someone knows the Terminal Command, could you please repost it?

• Hello community,

i am completely new to daz3d and on my "day 1". After installing the latest version of daz3d on my 16" MBP (running the latest macOS big sur beta) the app crashed immediately after the start. Is there any workaround to make it run in Big Sur Beta right now?

Thanks

I did move up to Catalina 10.15.6. DAZ Studio is running fine, and the iRay renders seem faster. But I have gotten the following message. Should I allow access? What would DAZ Studio do if it got some amount of control? I denied the request.

DAZ Studio would like to control this computer using accessibility features. Grant access to this application in Security and Privacy preferences located in System Preferences.

• inquire said:

I did move up to Catalina 10.15.6. DAZ Studio is running fine, and the iRay renders seem faster. But I have gotten the following message. Should I allow access? What would DAZ Studio do if it got some amount of control? I denied the request.

DAZ Studio would like to control this computer using accessibility features. Grant access to this application in Security and Privacy preferences located in System Preferences.

Hi inquire! I seem to remember denying that request as well.  Didn't seem to cause any problems.  Would love to know what benefit(s) accepting that request would bring.

Lee

• inquire said:

Hi inquire! I seem to remember denying that request as well.  Didn't seem to cause any problems.  Would love to know what benefit(s) accepting that request would bring.

Lee

If at any point you require on-screen keyboard or navigation controls within DAZ Studio then you will need to allow DAZ Studio to be Accessibility Enabled

• Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Lee

If at any point you require on-screen keyboard or navigation controls within DAZ Studio then you will need to allow DAZ Studio to be Accessibility Enabled

Thank you for the clarification, Platnumk! Very much appreciated.

Lee

Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Lee

By on-screen navigation controls, do you mean things like Command-Z to undo, or Command-S to Save, or Command-R to start a render?

• inquire said:
    Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Lee

By on-screen navigation controls, do you mean things like Command-Z to undo, or Command-S to Save, or Command-R to start a render?

No, those are standard keyboard sortcuts  But if you find that your keyboard shortcuts are not working then try enabling Accessibility for DAZ Studio as this might help.

As an example - lets say that you are hard-of-hearing then by having Accessibility enabled for DAZ Studio then when you get a dialog box appear the system will give you a visual alert by flashing the screen for instance.  Have a look at Accessibility under the Mac's System Prefs for what else it does.

• Have been wonering this for awhile, and no, I have not read through the entire thread... does every mac user (or every user) experience weird reactions sometimes when navigating a scene with the keyboard, particularly selected items being deleted?

• Hi all...here is a big question. Will Daz be supporting the move to Universal App for Apple M1 silicon?

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767
    edited November 2020

Sooooooo... 4.14.

S'it work properly on mac?

Post edited by Hylas on