The Mac FAQ

Comments

• mavantemavante Posts: 732
    Platnumk said:

I'm aware that it's a stupid question, but I wanna ask.

I currently run Mojave and have been reluctant to move to Catalina. The newest version of DAZ Studio is 4.12.1.118.

Can these two play well together, or am I going to run into trouble if I update?

I'm running the latest version of DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina without any problems,  Tho I have seen others report having problems.  Also note that 32bit Apps like hexigon will no longer work as it removes all support for them.

The problems I had with the latest DS 4.12 and Catalina were with animation—and animation is the only thing I use DS for. The problem with spontaneously and repeatedly disappearing keyframes, coupled with keyframes not working at all with many morphs, made for a train wreck, causing many, many, many wasted hours and a lot of lost work.

I had to revert to 4.11 to be able to work at all. 

• TotteTotte Posts: 11,398
    mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

I currently run Mojave and have been reluctant to move to Catalina. The newest version of DAZ Studio is 4.12.1.118.

Can these two play well together, or am I going to run into trouble if I update?

I'm running the latest version of DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina without any problems,  Tho I have seen others report having problems.  Also note that 32bit Apps like hexigon will no longer work as it removes all support for them.

The problems I had with the latest DS 4.12 and Catalina were with animation—and animation is the only thing I use DS for. The problem with spontaneously and repeatedly disappearing keyframes, coupled with keyframes not working at all with many morphs, made for a train wreck, causing many, many, many wasted hours and a lot of lost work.

Have you bug reported this?

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 319
    edited August 4

I've also noticed a problem with keyframes not being created/remembered -  if a start G8 in the default "A Pose" at frame 0 & create a keyfram then move to say frame 30 and apply a pose that also loads props it then overwrites the keyframe at frame 0 as well so that there is no transition from the "A Pose" to the newly applied pose.  Which can be very frustraighting when trying to do an animimated dforce sim.  

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 4,648
    Platnumk said:

I've also noticed a problem with keyframes not being created/remembered -  if a start G8 in the default "A Pose" at frame 0 & create a keyfram then move to say frame 30 and apply a pose that also loads props it then overwrites the keyframe at frame 0 as well so that there is no transition from the "A Pose" to the newly applied pose.  Which can be very frustraighting when trying to do an animimated dforce sim.  

The keyframe at frame 0, is that the only keyframe? If you create an additional keyframe, what happens then?

Platnumk said:

The keyframe at frame 0, is that the only keyframe? If you create an additional keyframe, what happens then?

Even if you create 3 or 4 keyframe,  as soon as you load a pose which also loads a prop it will set all keyframes to that pose.  It seems it only does that when you load a pose that also loads a prop,  but if you apply a pose that doesn't load a prop as well then it works as it should.

The only work-a-round that I have found is to load in the pose + prop, save the pose without the prop then apply the just the pose it's self.

This is the pose set that is causing the problem https://www.daz3d.com/electric-guitar-collection-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8

• mavantemavante Posts: 732
    Totte said:
    mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

It's been being discussed in these forums for months, has been bug-reported by several people, and has reportedly been reproduced by Richard Haseltine and by Daz Technical personnel, who purportedly are working on a fix. See, e.g.:

Bug Report: Animators Beware, DS 4.12.1.117 deletes values keyframes en masse

Many object properties will not save keyframes anymore (and other problems)

• TotteTotte Posts: 11,398
    mavante said:
    Totte said:
    mavante said:
    Platnumk said:

It's been being discussed in these forums for months, has been bug-reported by several people, and has reportedly been reproduced by Richard Haseltine and by Daz Technical personnel, who purportedly are working on a fix. See, e.g.:

Bug Report: Animators Beware, DS 4.12.1.117 deletes values keyframes en masse

Many object properties will not save keyframes anymore (and other problems)

Good, then it's most probably on a "to be fixed" list.

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 4
    edited August 5

Using dforce, has anyone had errors compiling the kernel extensions (done in the background upon first initializing the asscoiated device) ? I'm on 10.15.6 .

2020-07-22 09:15:47.279 WARNING: /src/dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine 
    2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: Build Program driver returned (517) 
    2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0x1021e00 (ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine) (err:-2) 
    2020-07-22 09:15:58.301 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log: 
    Error returned by cvms_element_build_from_source

2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE] : OpenCL Error : Error: Build Program driver returned (518) 
    2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build program for 0x1021e00 (ATI Radeon Pro W5700X Compute Engine) (err:-2) 
    2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build log: 

2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: /src/dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(499): ERROR: clBuildProgram (-11) 
    2020-07-22 09:16:08.564 WARNING: Source built for calcEdgeCollisionRepulseEdge. Build log: 

Post edited by 42snoopy42 on
    Platnumk said:
    Platnumk said:

Even if you create 3 or 4 keyframe,  as soon as you load a pose which also loads a prop it will set all keyframes to that pose.  It seems it only does that when you load a pose that also loads a prop,  but if you apply a pose that doesn't load a prop as well then it works as it should.

The only work-a-round that I have found is to load in the pose + prop, save the pose without the prop then apply the just the pose it's self.

This is the pose set that is causing the problem https://www.daz3d.com/electric-guitar-collection-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8

It seems to work for me in Windows. I've asked a Mac expert to try and replicate on his mac.

• inquireinquire Posts: 1,255

I've also noticed quite a problem with the keyframes in animation. Just agreeing that there is a problem.

• Celtic87Celtic87 Posts: 0

Hi there! I'm wondering, how to install bridges on Mac? I want to install bridge to Blender for now, but there is no scripts/bridge menu like in Win version for me. I'm using current DS version. Excuse me for a stupid question. Thanks!

edited August 15

What to do about my DIM? I bought two pose products yesterday, and tried to download them with the DIM, v 1.4.0.58 64-bit, Mac. I tired a number of times. Each time, I got "Download Failed." I have submitted a ticket to DAZ HELP, Tech Support, but that will usually take DAYS! I tied again today, and the same thing happens: "Download Failed." So, do you think it's safe to do a Manual Download and install these two pose sets? If I do a Manual Install, I won't be able to remove those pose sets with the DIM. Should I start another Directory, named something like Daz Manual Installs, and then I could just delete that if I got the DIM working, with Tech Support help?

Or, should I try and download the DIM again? Might that help, or might that make things worse?

Is anyone else having an issue with this version of the DIM?

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.33.35 AM.png
    670 x 293 - 58K
    Post edited by inquire on
    edited August 15

OK, I downloaded, (Manual Download) the zip files for the two pose sets. Now, I suppose I could put those into Characters/People/Genesis8Male/Poses/ etc.

And, also into the Runtime/Support Folder.

But, what would I do with the Manifest.dsx and the Supplement.dsx files?

There's basically the same situation with the other pose file set. I'll include a screen shot.

SWOLE Pose Files.png
    666 x 373 - 111K
    Post edited by inquire on
    inquire said:

OK, I downloaded, (Manual Download) the zip files for the two pose sets. Now, I suppose I could put those into Characters/People/Genesis8Male/Poses/ etc.

There's basically the same situation with the other pose file set. I'll include a screen shot.

If you "install" it manually, i.e. unzipping it directly, then you don't need the Manifest and Supplement files.

inquire said:

Don't unzip the files,  but put them into DIM's Download Folder,  Run DIM and select Work Offline,  they should then appear in DIM's Ready To Install tab

Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 20.21.06.png
    1744 x 1408 - 949K
    Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 20.22.07.png
    1522 x 1374 - 394K
  • The downloading issue has been reported.

I did get a response back from a Tech Support Person, saying that she was unable to reproduce this issue.

Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Don't unzip the files,  but put them into DIM's Download Folder,  Run DIM and select Work Offline,  they should then appear in DIM's Ready To Install tab

@Platnumk: OK, I did locate the DIM's Download Folder. So, instead of unzipping those files, I should just put them in the folder, run DIM, select Work Offlione, and if they appear in the Ready to Install tab, Install. That should not produce any problems, right?

inquire said:
    Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

@Platnumk: OK, I did locate the DIM's Download Folder. So, instead of unzipping those files, I should just put them in the folder, run DIM, select Work Offlione, and if they appear in the Ready to Install tab, Install. That should not produce any problems, right?

Correct.

OK, well thank you very much for the help. I did as Platnumk suggested. I've been trying it out with DAZ Studio to see that the poses actually are in place, and then that they work on figures. Thank you all very much. I've learned something today.

@Platnumk: A very special thank you. You probably saved me a lot of time.

inquire said:

@Platnumk: A very special thank you. You probably saved me a lot of time.

Your welcome

Just a thought: How about if we all put  in requests at Apple Feedback -- https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

to ask Apple to test, in their upcoming new Apple ARM Silicon chip computers,  3D products, specifically DAZ Studio, that Mac users use, even if the top level professionals do not use, say, DAZ Studio or Poser. There probably are more Mac users of DAZ Studio than there are of the very expensive applications. Perhaps Apple will oblige. I've already put in my request.

Question about the Mail app: First: It sometimes seems to quit for no reason. Checking the Disk Utility, everything seems fine. Also scanned it for a virus, and scanned in my ~Library folder. Also fine. I have the Mail app on backup drives.

Question: Is it OK to drag the Mail app from a backup drive onto my main HD? Or, are there parts in the System OS that would not transfer, and would/could this result in problems?

inquire said:

Question about the Mail app: First: It sometimes seems to quit for no reason. Checking the Disk Utility, everything seems fine. Also scanned it for a virus, and scanned in my ~Library folder. Also fine. I have the Mail app on backup drives.

Question: Is it OK to drag the Mail app from a backup drive onto my main HD? Or, are there parts in the System OS that would not transfer, and would/could this result in problems?

As long as you make a backup of your current version (in case ypou need to put it back) then you should be able to replace it.  

Have you concidered trying one of the other mail apps available onthe app store,  I've found Spark - Email App by Readdle to be quite a good replacement (and best off all its free).

OK. Thank you for the response. Never heard of Spark. Does it have features Mail does not have?

inquire said:

OK. Thank you for the response. Never heard of Spark. Does it have features Mail does not have?

It has a lot of features that apple mail doesn't, you can find out more HERE

Wondering about moving up to Catalina, with a late 2013 Mac Pro. Now running Sierra, 10.12.6. What's stopping me?

(1) I've read so much about how DAZ Studio has problems running, about trying to set permissions, etc. Have those problems been solved with the latest update to Catalina? 

(2) Been using Alsoft's Disk Warrior. If I move up, I won't be able to repair APFS disks. Is Apple's Disk Utility better in Catalina? Do others feel confident just using Disk Utility?

(3) Are there advantages to using Catalina, as compared with sticking with Sierra?

inquire said:

Wondering about moving up to Catalina, with a late 2013 Mac Pro. Now running Sierra, 10.12.6. What's stopping me?

(1) I've read so much about how DAZ Studio has problems running, about trying to set permissions, etc. Have those problems been solved with the latest update to Catalina? 

(2) Been using Alsoft's Disk Warrior. If I move up, I won't be able to repair APFS disks. Is Apple's Disk Utility better in Catalina? Do others feel confident just using Disk Utility?

(3) Are there advantages to using Catalina, as compared with sticking with Sierra?

I have no problems running DAZ Studio on MacOS Catalina,  The permissions problem still exists.

The biggists problem is that Catalina is 64bit only so if you rely on any apps or software that are 32bit (like Hexagon for instance) then you will be out of luck as they won't run at all

• inquire said:

Hi Inquire.  I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 on a 2015 Mac mini and DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86.  On my 2016 Retina Macbook (the one without a fan and one USB-C port), I'm running Catalina (latest version) and DAZ Studio (latest version) without difficulties.

It's been a couple of weeks since I installed DS on the Macbook and copied my DAZ libraries from the mini to the Macbook. I think I had to tell the DIM installer to open despite not being "vetted" by Apple.  Don't recall any other installation worries from that point forward.

Can't speak to Disk Warrior vs. Disk Utility.  Perhaps someone will join in and talk about that.

Catalina gets rid of 32-bit apps.  Had to update Photoshop Elements from version 10 or 11 to the 2020 version.  Works fine though Adobe put a dumbed down front end on the app (easy to circumvent.)  I'm comfortable with Catalina, though it is on the Mac that gets used less frequently.  Interesting tidbit: sample scene rendered on the Mac mini in 18 minutes and on the Macbook in 19 minutes.  That little Macbook does better than I thought it would.

Lee