The Mac FAQ

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    lexbaird said:
    inquire said:

4.12.1.118, the latest version of DAZ Studio, has fixed the Command-S crash problem and the Command-R crash problem.

How does one find that version? I've got 4.12.1.76 Beta installed, and it just ate 5 hours of work by crashing and deleting the previously saved file.

It was just in my DIM to install. Let me recheck the version: Yes, 4.12.1.118.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    inquire said:
    Totte said:
    inquire said:

In Catalina, by the way, are all the usual folders there under users, such as ~, Documents, Shared? Would I be able to copy things over from those folders in Safari?

Copy in Safari?

Sorry. Maybe I had too much Fourth of July "punch" yesterday. I meant 10.12.6 Sierra. May the 4th be with you.

Makes more sense. Folders content can be copied, the file structure of OS X Hasn't changed, although protection has.

Question about Time Machine backups vs SuperDuper (full drive, bootable backups) for the purpose of transferring files and applications from my present computer to a new Mac Pro: With the Mac OS there is this option to transfer files and non-Apple apps using a Time Machine backup. (At least, I think that's so.) I could also do this by hooking my present computer up to a new computer. Now, can I use an external HD that has a full backup of my Macintosh (internal) HD? Will the transfer (or Migration Assistant, I think it's called) accept the external HD as a source for transferring?

Question about the Time Machine backups with OS Sierra, 10.12.6: I do rebuild the disk catalogs regularly with DiskWarrior, and it usually finds icon errors. (I also rebuild the disk catalog regularly for the Macintosh HD internal drive.) I usually do these things about once a month. After about 4 to 6 months, the Time Machine backups just seem to hang and never get started. I have to erase the disk and start anew.

With the external SuperDuper (full drive, bootable backups), I do the same rebuilding of the disk catalogs. The backups (using Smart Backup, so it only backs up the files, apps, etc., that have changed) do not hang. 

Does anyone else have this hanging problem with Time Machine backups, and what might be the cause of this?

TimeMachine sometimes just stops working. I use TimrMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner for cross backup between machines. 

Couldn't find anything on Google for TimrMachine. I did try to look it up.

I did find info on Carbon Copy Cloner. Do you think it's better than SuperDuper?

I haven't tested SuperDuper but CCC does what it's supposed to to.

Just google "Time Machine archives gets corrupted"

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited July 2020
    inquire said:

Question about the Time Machine backups with OS Sierra, 10.12.6: I do rebuild the disk catalogs regularly with DiskWarrior, and it usually finds icon errors. (I also rebuild the disk catalog regularly for the Macintosh HD internal drive.) I usually do these things about once a month. After about 4 to 6 months, the Time Machine backups just seem to hang and never get started. I have to erase the disk and start anew.

With the external SuperDuper (full drive, bootable backups), I do the same rebuilding of the disk catalogs. The backups (using Smart Backup, so it only backs up the files, apps, etc., that have changed) do not hang. 

Does anyone else have this hanging problem with Time Machine backups, and what might be the cause of this?

Open the backup folder on your TimeMachine backup drive and drag n drop the "InProgress" file to the Trash

Next tell TimeMachine to stop using that drive for its backups (this is just to stop timemachine while we do the next couple of steps)

Next open Terminal and enter the following -

cd /Volumes/(Back up drive name)/.Trashes/

sudo ls 501/

This should list all the files in that TrashCan,  you should see the "In Progress" file listed,  If so then move onto the next stage.

In the Terminal enter the following

sudo rm -rf 501/*

You will then be prompted to enter your Administrator Password

now sit back and wait for the system to finish doing its task,  And when you see the Terminal Prompt re-appear then close everything down and reboot.

Once you are back to your desktop you can tell TimeMachine to use its backup drive again.  Its best to wait and allow TimeMachine to do its 1st new backup increment before running any apps.

Sometimes you may have to do the above proceedure a couple of times using TimeMachine starts working correctly.  If after doing the above proceesure 2 or 3 times and its still won't do a backup then it will be time to format your backup drive and start a fresh new backup.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Post edited by Platnumk on

From the question I posted in Apple Discussions:

"I have done such a migration using a SuperDuper ("clone" bootable) type of backup. I just specified the SuperDuper backup disk as the Backup to use when Migration Assistant asked which backup to use for the Migration."

So, it seems that using a SuperDuper cloned drive, fully  bootable, will work with Migration Assistant. 

Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

Open the backup folder on your TimeMachine backup drive and drag n drop the "InProgress" file to the Trash

Next tell TimeMachine to stop using that drive for its backups (this is just to stop timemachine while we do the next couple of steps)

sudo ls 501/

This should list all the files in that TrashCan,  you should see the "In Progress" file listed,  If so then move onto the next stage.

sudo rm -rf 501/*

now sit back and wait for the system to finish doing its task,  And when you see the Terminal Prompt re-appear then close everything down and reboot.

Once you are back to your desktop you can tell TimeMachine to use its backup drive again.  Its best to wait and allow TimeMachine to do its 1st new backup increment before running any apps.

Sometimes you may have to do the above proceedure a couple of times using TimeMachine starts working correctly.  If after doing the above proceesure 2 or 3 times and its still won't do a backup then it will be time to format your backup drive and start a fresh new backup.

Thank you very much for the time you took answering this. I have tried trashing the latest "In Progress" file. I've also tried running DiskUtility on it, and I've tried running DiskWarrior on it and replacing the disk catalog and correcting any errors DW finds (usually only icon errors). How does the Terminal prompt differ? Also, it takes a whole computer reboot?

inquire said:
    Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

sudo ls 501/

sudo rm -rf 501/*

Thank you very much for the time you took answering this. I have tried trashing the latest "In Progress" file. I've also tried running DiskUtility on it, and I've tried running DiskWarrior on it and replacing the disk catalog and correcting any errors DW finds (usually only icon errors). How does the Terminal prompt differ? Also, it takes a whole computer reboot?

Reboot is to let the io system to unlock and unload drives I guess, some things are cached between boots, like certain drive states, to speed things up.

inquire said:
    Platnumk said:
    inquire said:

sudo ls 501/

sudo rm -rf 501/*

The only way to delete the "In Progress" file is though the terminal as its a system locked file.  I never user anything like DW or DiskUtility on my TM Backup Drive.  And yes a full system reboot is required as this flushes the RAM and any cached files which maybe the cause of TM hanging.

If you haven't tried resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) then that might also help.  To clear the SMC follow these steps

Fully shut down you Mac

Unplug the main power lead from the back of the machine

Wait 3 mins,  Press and hold the power button for 30 secs

Re-insert the power cable and power up your mac.

OK. Here's new advice. Thank you for all of these suggestions.

I tired to follow up on this DAZ to Maya Plugin that is being sold here. I went to the maker's site. There is a Contact page: http://www.3dtoall.com/contact/

I've written twice and asked questions such as can I pose a figure and then import that? (He advertises importing a figure and then posing within Maya.) Also, what if I have two figures clutched together, as in a wrestling pose: can I import them both and will the posing still match up?

I've not received any kind of answer. So, this makes me skeptical about trying this product.

Again, about using TimeMachine: Has anyone tried transferring files and apps to a new computer using TimeMachine? If I run DiskWarrior on a TimeMachine disk, it will report icon errors. What I'm wondering is, if these errors are left "unrepaired," do they cause problems in the event someone (like myself) would choose to use TimeMachine to transfer files and apps to a new computer? 

Platnumk writes, above, " I never user anything like DW or DiskUtility on my TM Backup Drive." So, this raises the following question for me: Is it necessary to run DiskWarrior or even DiskUtiliity on a TimeMachine backup drive?

inquire said:

Again, about using TimeMachine: Has anyone tried transferring files and apps to a new computer using TimeMachine? If I run DiskWarrior on a TimeMachine disk, it will report icon errors. What I'm wondering is, if these errors are left "unrepaired," do they cause problems in the event someone (like myself) would choose to use TimeMachine to transfer files and apps to a new computer? 

Platnumk writes, above, " I never user anything like DW or DiskUtility on my TM Backup Drive." So, this raises the following question for me: Is it necessary to run DiskWarrior or even DiskUtiliity on a TimeMachine backup drive?

I've had no problems transfering files from a time machine backup to a new mac as I did that just over month ago

I understand. So, do people feel that the "icon errors" reported by DiskWarrior are irrelevant, so perhaps even a mistake by DW?

inquire said:

I understand. So, do people feel that the "icon errors" reported by DiskWarrior are irrelevant, so perhaps even a mistake by DW?

I have no idea whether DW is doing any good or not,  The only time I would use something like that would be to try any repair a drive so that files could be recovered before formatting the drive.

About that DAZ to Maya Plugin I've written about several times: as of yesterday, it's not on this site anymore. And, as I've written before, I never received any answers from the creator. I wonder what happened. Did it not work? Why would DAZ just pull it? And a thread I started (not yesterday, before) was pulled, and I never got any explanation as to why. "Curioser and curioser," as Alice (in Wonderland) would say.

• Daz is working on an update, which they hope willl be available within a month

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,309
    mcorr said:
    Totte said:

The problem is that the error says DS could not load libdzcore.dylib.

Dyld Error Message:
      Library not loaded: @rpath/libdzcore.dylib
      Referenced from: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/DAZStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/DAZStudio
      Reason: image not found

The reason is "image not found", which make it looks like there is a either a setup mistake when it was installed, wrong file ownership, wrong paths or something else, or the Framework specs are bad.

I suggested to create a folder inside /Applications/DAZ 3D named "My DS" or something similar, put the whole install of 4.11 there the same way it looks in the "Studio 4"

folder, and try to run it fromthat folder inside the /Application folder tree and not from some other location, like "/Volumes/VOLUME/*/DAZStudio.app/" which looks broken to me.
    Do this, and then see if it works.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try!

mcorr said:
    Totte said:

The problem is that the error says DS could not load libdzcore.dylib.

Dyld Error Message:
      Library not loaded: @rpath/libdzcore.dylib
      Referenced from: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/DAZStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/DAZStudio
      Reason: image not found

The reason is "image not found", which make it looks like there is a either a setup mistake when it was installed, wrong file ownership, wrong paths or something else, or the Framework specs are bad.

I suggested to create a folder inside /Applications/DAZ 3D named "My DS" or something similar, put the whole install of 4.11 there the same way it looks in the "Studio 4"

folder, and try to run it fromthat folder inside the /Application folder tree and not from some other location, like "/Volumes/VOLUME/*/DAZStudio.app/" which looks broken to me.
    Do this, and then see if it works.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try!

For me, none of the suggested solutions worked, and since I‘m not getting any more replies from CS, I‘ve basically given up on the idea of ever being able to use my NVidia eGPU with DAZ on the Mac. Really, there‘s just not enough time in life for this kind of nonsense. I‘ve created a mirror DAZ library on an external drive and now take everything over to my Windows PC if I want to use the GPU rendering. It‘s not the kind of workflow I would have wanted, but it does work at least, and now I can stop foaming at the mouth with helpless fury ... ????????

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,309

... sorry, somehow my smiley icons got turned into those weird question marks ...

The iMac Pro actually looks pretty good right now. The fully charged version is $14k +, but it packs a lot of power, I think. I didn't realize how much they beefed it up. It makes my late 2013 edition of the Mac Pro ("trash can" style) look meek. 

Still, there's talk on MacRumors of a new version to be released in the 4th Q of this year. Anybody know anything about that? 

• Just a question, when did photoshop 3d bridge plugin stop working on a mac. I wanted to do some tweaks to a texture on a bird and used to love using that plugin but didn't even show up any more even with all the plugins in the right area (I double and triple checked) . In the beta it showed up but wouldn't show in photoshop cc so wouldn't work. Going into my products on my account it shows inactive on mac product and only gives windows downloads for it.  Looks like I'm getting closer and closer to having to resort to a windows machine, ugh. Either that or will have to give up on daz completely and have a runtime library that goes unused. Sure makes my pc membership a waste.

Just a question, when did photoshop 3d bridge plugin stop working on a mac. I wanted to do some tweaks to a texture on a bird and used to love using that plugin but didn't even show up any more even with all the plugins in the right area (I double and triple checked) . In the beta it showed up but wouldn't show in photoshop cc so wouldn't work. Going into my products on my account it shows inactive on mac product and only gives windows downloads for it.  Looks like I'm getting closer and closer to having to resort to a windows machine, ugh. Either that or will have to give up on daz completely and have a runtime library that goes unused. Sure makes my pc membership a waste.

Which PS version? Mine stopped working with my old CC5 PS with DS 4.12, but works according to others forgot who) with newer versions of CC.

• 42snoopy4242snoopy42 Posts: 21
    FWIW " Today OTOY is releasing the first public preview (PR1) of Octane X for macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - completely rebuilt from the ground up using Apple’s Metal Graphics API, and fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs across the Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro product lines." https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/ Quoting from an email with their support team "At the moment, only the following AMD GPU are supported in OctaneX under Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6: Radeon Pro Vega II Duo - 412 OB* Radeon Pro Vega II - 206 OB Radeon VII - 200 OB 5700 XT - 170 OB Vega FE - ~161 OB Vega 64 -~148 OB Vega 56 - ~117 OB Vega 48 - 108 OB 5600M - 108 OB 5500M - 77 OB Vega 20 - ~50 OB We are expecting to have the full Metal support of AMD GPUs in the upcoming Mac Os 11 Big Sur."
  • Totte said:

Just a question, when did photoshop 3d bridge plugin stop working on a mac. I wanted to do some tweaks to a texture on a bird and used to love using that plugin but didn't even show up any more even with all the plugins in the right area (I double and triple checked) . In the beta it showed up but wouldn't show in photoshop cc so wouldn't work. Going into my products on my account it shows inactive on mac product and only gives windows downloads for it.  Looks like I'm getting closer and closer to having to resort to a windows machine, ugh. Either that or will have to give up on daz completely and have a runtime library that goes unused. Sure makes my pc membership a waste.

Which PS version? Mine stopped working with my old CC5 PS with DS 4.12, but works according to others forgot who) with newer versions of CC.

I use the latest version of cc, so I guess the. people at daz broke it, it used to work on daz 4.10 on my 2013 imac but not now. and It won't work in Daz's latest .

thanks for the info.

There are various bridges featured today: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-maya-blender-3ds-max-and-c4d

I watched both videos for DAZ Studio to Maya: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-maya-bridge

It looks, though, like Poses are not supported for transfer. But, this may be a good thing. It doesn't say if the lite or free version of Maya is supported. But there are bridges to blender, 3DS MAX, and Cinema 4D. Which of these products would be the least expensive to buy? (I'm not familiar with any of them.)

I'm thinking that if iRay is dropped for the Macintosh platform, (though I hope it isn't), then possibly one of these bridges may make it possible to still render well. I have a lot of my own poses, though, which I definitely would want to be transferable.

FWIW " Today OTOY is releasing the first public preview (PR1) of Octane X for macOS Catalina 10.15.6 - completely rebuilt from the ground up using Apple’s Metal Graphics API, and fully optimized for performance on AMD Vega and Navi GPUs across the Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro product lines." https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-pr1/ Quoting from an email with their support team "At the moment, only the following AMD GPU are supported in OctaneX under Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6: Radeon Pro Vega II Duo - 412 OB* Radeon Pro Vega II - 206 OB Radeon VII - 200 OB 5700 XT - 170 OB Vega FE - ~161 OB Vega 64 -~148 OB Vega 56 - ~117 OB Vega 48 - 108 OB 5600M - 108 OB 5500M - 77 OB Vega 20 - ~50 OB We are expecting to have the full Metal support of AMD GPUs in the upcoming Mac Os 11 Big Sur."

This, too, sounds exciting. Is there a bridge from DAZ Studio to Octane X? 

And have you checked out the bridges that DAZ released today?