Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited May 2020

yeah, I'm sure there was something beyond the (I think it was) 3 packs here at daz, think.   there was the rodent base mesh-bone thing, then the fox add-on, then a winter or pose thing for the fox.  think.

The LAMH pro (that I don't have) supposedly lets you do some things, however, I don't know if it lets you give the fox them cute Raptor sideburns or adjust the color of hair in specific spots.  https://www.furrythings.com/presets/      I'm really sure at one time I had seen something "in passing" of textures at AM's site, tho I may be confusing AM with another PA's product. I simply never fussed with costume hair things, sorry.

I don't know if them are LAMH-pro plugin things, or texture maps for the regular critter. I am so behind on so many things because of other distractions with the world being sideways, I do hope all are as well as can be. supposedly win10 'fixed' the random click-move thing that was very bad with that LAMH thing your just not supposed to touch in the scene tab, I also have yet to pull the AM raptor (base dino figure needed) through DIM to look at the fella. It would be so cool if the fella has a side burn morph or something, not holding my breath tho (I like the colors on the promo, the side burns tho, I want, lol).

P.S. it would be cool if there was a texture map somewhere ye could just draw on in GIMP/PS or something for furr color (I don't know if there is such a thing for the fox).

AM_furryThings_site_01001.png
    1117 x 1185 - 71K
    AmDinoDeinonychus_SideBurns_Maybe_01001.png
    990 x 720 - 994K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

There is a map for the fox, but I'm not as good at fur as AM is. So I was hoping someone else had put together additional fur options for the fox. I use it a lot and don't think my clients would want the fox on their book cover to look like every other fox on book covers done by me.

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 958

I have a little different problem - I used the AM Fox without the hair to pose in my file, since I have problems with LAMH crashing Daz, so I don't do the hair until I'm ready to render.  I then loaded the LAMH hair fox, and copied the pose from the hairless one to the LAMH version... and Daz crashed.  It crashed the next half dozen times (because I'm an optimist, sometimes).  Then I began trying to recreate the pose directly to the LAMH fox... but the fur did not follow the figure.  Is something broken, and I should just reload the files?

I had a similar problem last year, Misselthwaite ... AM had me set my settings differently ... I'll try to find it for you.

edited May 2020

I managed to create a new texture for the fox. How do I save it and make sure if more than one fox is in the scene that they won't glitch?

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412

I would think shader preset or material preset, tho given the odd nature of the LAMH scene tab thing, the best bet may be in theory a scene subset (both the fox and LAMH items).

missing shrug emoji.

lol ... I'll give it a shot

I've saved the new diffuse jpg in the same folder where the original 'skin' is located, but I'm getting an error ... Now what?

lamh oni fox screenshot error 1.jpg
    508 x 105 - 24K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I've saved the new diffuse jpg in the same folder where the original 'skin' is located, but I'm getting an error ... Now what?

You need to save it to your own folders -- you can't save it to the Connect folders.

OK ... managed to get my new fox skin applied and he looks cute ... I understand something gets mixed up when there are multiple foxes in a scene with different coats ... has that been resolved with the latest update?

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Hey folk,

Just a quick pop in here but discovered something today that I've no idea if it's old news or not.  I export assets out via OBJ, but this issue is back at the export stage in Daz in turns out.  I've never had any reason to question AM's advice so have always left the compression level set at 5.  Back in Lightwave, I'm trying to figure out why the fur is so thin, so I punch in close & see that the root ends of the fur aren't into the base geometry at all.  Thinking it was some minor scaling issue, I spent the better part of the day confirming, no, that wasn't the case. Went back to my original Daz scene & could see that the same thing was happening there too!  Checked in the LAMH editor, & the guides are just fine.

The only variable I could think of was the compression setting.  Gritted my teeth, set the level to 4 & hit Export.  Didn't take any significant time longer, but it looked great & the fur was into the base figure.  I use the OBJ's generated from LAMH and the Level 4 obj was a whooping 100 kb larger than the lev 5.  Tried Level 3 & it's actually a touch smaller & inperceptible in difference visually.

So, don't be afraid of Level 3 is all.

Orig Lev5 Expor.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 462K
    NuFur_CompressLev3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 519K
    BrnBearV3FurSurfsFitTest.jpg
    974 x 662 - 224K
    BrnBearV3_Frm0_CU.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 851K
    edited May 2020

I don't know what just happened ... but I have worked on a scene for two days, have made all of my color adjustments, been saving files a, b, c, d, and e (e being the one I finally like as a 500-pixel render). And right before I go to save file f and render my 5000-pxl scene for print... Daz crashes. Scenes b-e all crash when I try to open them with an error flash for a split second about LAMH. Only one LAMH animal is in the scene. It's gotta be mad about Smilodon, but I don't know why all of a sudden ... it's been fine for four saves. Any ideas? This commission MUST be completed tomorrow.

If this helps, here's the 'report' screenshot and the gobbledygook log file ...

saber screenshot 1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 205K
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by WillowRaven on

Thanks to Alessandro's help, once again, I have another happy author and I had loads fun playing with Felidae by AM - Smilodon Populator - Companion Pack. I even customized the fur a touch. Hope ya'll like it :)

Picture Picture

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Nice work

Nice work

Thank you :)

edited June 2020

Thought there might be some interest in recent efforts from the Acme Lab.

Disclaimer of sorts, this is an FBX export from Daz, then seriously re-worked in Lightwave 2019. But I've a workflow now that's hours, not days. I've no idea how I'd do this in DS in fact.

Also, this is just first look draft rez preview GIF, 3 key-frame pose sampler to see if the fur is following correctly. It 'tis!

Still have to track town a couple errant points missing a wt. map assignments it seems, but should be straight forward fix.  Famous last words, I know.

Poses from DS are easily, quickly exported and can be stored in a library with Lightwave, & easily imported at any desired frame.  I'm Importing morphs as well for the base figure, but haven't figured out transfer to the hair yet. The Fox's mouth opening is a morph not bones unfortunately. I might change that later.

In short, I've finally a workflow to take LAMH characters with fur, out of DS where I can now actually animate them.  Dynamics such as wind, etc. to come shortly I hope.

In DS with "normal" hair items, morphs can be exported. Not so with LAMH hair unfortunately.  Fur responds to Bone deformations if wt mapped, but not to morphs unless implicitly exported. In fact the objects aren't even exported with weight mapping which has been the major barricade. Found a way around that.  ;)

In the creation of Fiber Hair, LAMH creates some OBJ files.  As it turns out, those behave differently than the Hair layers made that end up in the DS scene.  The DS ones end up as a single object where as the LAMH obj's are actually separate layers, separated by weight map assigment.  More on all or that later, maybe.

Well, seems the forum doesn't like animated  GIF's so you'll have to use some imagination with a few stills I guess.

Ack!Me_000.jpg
    1656 x 931 - 413K
    Ack!Me_024.jpg
    1656 x 931 - 416K
    Ack!Me_072.jpg
    1656 x 931 - 469K
    Ack!Me_120.jpg
    1656 x 931 - 437K
    Post edited by Doc Acme on

Wow.  Just crickets.

See if this is of interest then ...

• dvoltedvolte Posts: 0

Wow... That's what I wanna see!! How did you do that?

Is your workflow adaptable to Iclone? Did you use the full version of LAMH?

I do use the full version of LAMH.  You should be able to do this with the free version but you have to export to obj.  Wouldn't know re: Iclone, but I did try CharacterCreator 3 last month.  For what I'm doing, not compatible w/o a lot of extra work & $$$.

I'm using some tools for weight map transferring that as far as I know are only for Lightwave. Might be a way of doing that in DS, but ??? 

Splitting Shave Groups

I'm trying to find more info on how to do this.

From the PDF:

Taking a closer look at the Follicles toolbox, there are other buttons that deserve some attention. The first button will add all the follicles, the second button will erase all the follicles, the third button will trigger the “Follicles by surface setup” dialog as explained above.

The fourth and fifth button allow respectively splitting and duplicating a follicle selection to a new shave group, a very useful tool in some situations where you want to create, for example, parted hair, or simply cut and paste follicle and guide hair to a new group.

But I'm not having any luck with getting that working, & not able to find any vids of it's use.

Anyone? 

Hope some find this of interest...

Armed with some new techniques, tools & mostly new knowledge, I revisited the AM Moose again last night.  There's a thread up there somewhere a year or so back.

Briefly, I usually export from what's in the Scene out via FBX then go from there. The fur object in this case is so large that somewhere along the line, what gets written is not complete. So he's been sort of my White Whale.

I confirmed this was still the case as before. When importing the FBX, a file for the fur gets written, but lower portion of RtFront Leg is missing fur. Can't be having that now.

I'm sure most making LAMH fur just click the OK & don't really notice the message when fur gets exported.  There's a brief pause & fur shows up on your character which is what your after.  But what's really happening is that LAMH is writing an OBJ file to that location mentioned in that message, then imports that into to Daz.  Except, it's no longer the same file.

The fur from DS is a "Single" object with only the basic texture & no weight mapping. When & how wt. maps get applied, the file size can balloon 20-30x essentially making the object unusable.  You can write it out, but it's usally unloadable.

I mentioned Single as I've the option of loading OBJ's as Single or not. Single is safe in that it will open any valid obj file. The other option will load obj's as a layered file. If the obj requires "As One Oject", it will crash however.

The Daz fur requires the "As One Oject" option.  The original LAMH generated obj's do not.

They do have to be scaled to 1%, but that's it. The layers are based on weight maps of the base figure, yet they don't actually have any weighting. In short, I can make whole layer selections of fur (Bullwinkle only had 36), so it's easy to collect & regroup.  I've been lasso selecting up to now. Not as heinous as it sounds but does take some time.

For Bullwinkle here, he's now got just 4 fur sections that I selectively pruned wt. map wise so file size is usually less than 2x.

Next task will be to figure out the correct way of adding a Jaw bone. Tuxcat is the HiveWire product of course & has a Jaw bone so can attach weighting. Most of the Daz animals use morphs for mouth Open/Close and fur doesn't respond to morphs.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

I saw your videos (am subscribed)

just letting know it's not lack of interest just some have different ways of doing stuff using different software 

Oh, I'm mainly posting these for posterity.

I this is probably a long shot and a quick search came up empty.

I picked up the AM Lion Cub this evening (OK, four of his products), & as I was working with the Lion Cub, some dormant brain cels fired; "This looks familiar".

I've attached what I was recalling.

This is Asia at 8 weeks back in the early 90's. Pre-digital anything, with slow 200 ASA, actual "organic" film, plus a very energetic young animal quite intent in chasing dust bunnys on the blue screen stage, so a bit blurry.  One of the work perks I suppose. Literally could see her get bigger over the 3 week long project.

Anyway, was wondering if there might be any maps for a Bengal Tiger Cub version?

Asia_Early-90's_7_resize.jpg
    1101 x 729 - 291K
    Asia Early-90's_6_resize.jpg
    1101 x 729 - 321K
    Asia Early-90's_3_resize.jpg
    1101 x 737 - 333K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited July 2020
    Post edited by Robert Freise on

Pretty sure I have the first.  Will have to see how well it fits.

Thanx.

• I've just downloaded the upgrade (not sure when it was released but I discovered it).  It's still expecting to load presets from the C: drive.  At least, you can navigate to your own preset folder but it's writing export OBJ files to my C: drive also, with no abiliity to change to filename or location.  It's either overwrite whatever is there or cancel.  Has this STILL not been fixed?

I've just downloaded the upgrade (not sure when it was released but I discovered it).  It's still expecting to load presets from the C: drive.  At least, you can navigate to your own preset folder but it's writing export OBJ files to my C: drive also, with no abiliity to change to filename or location.  It's either overwrite whatever is there or cancel.  Has this STILL not been fixed?

Ya, that's the way it's set up & no config options to change.  The LAMH exporter will write to a specifc folder under the User's Documents folder indicated in the small message box that pops up. "C:\Users\...\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM\...". 

If you export from the Editor, just change the name right before exporting. What gets loaded into your DS infterface is made from those objects & fur texture.

• Bummer! I was so hoping... Anyway, i haven't been manually loading the OBJ. It seems to be happening automatically. I vaguely remember seeing a checkbox or setting that lets you turn that on or off, but now I can't find it.

• I've been working with LAMH this week (with the AM Bat model) and I'm trying to export the model and the fur as a single FBX. Is this possible with LAMH and DS? The ultimate goal is to import it into iClone so I can animate it with poses ive exported from DS already. 
    Thus far, I've been able to export the bat with fur as a single OBJ but the poses don't work and doesn't work well with animation in iClone (FBX is preferred), I've been able to export the bat without fur as an FBX and the fur as a separate OBJ- I was able to parent the fur OBJ to the bat FBX which was the closest attempt yet, however when the bat bends in animation (head moves up, feet move down etc) you can see the separation between the parented pieces.

Ideally if there's any way to export the model with fur as a single FBX, that would solve everything, and I don't care about the movement of the fur at all, so if it could be baked into the texture, that will totally work for what I'm doing. Has anyone found any luck with this? I'm open to converting with any intermediate programs (Blender, Carrara, etc) as long as I can get the model and fur to a working FBX compatible with the poses. 

Well spotlessfilms,

I'm not familiar enough with iClone to give you specifics for it, but will describe my workflow as I happen to have the AM Bat.

Short answer is that you should be able to. I routinely do anyway, but taking that into another 3D software package.

Load the LAMH version of the model. My primary export is in a Zero posed state. Poses can be done later & are simpler & quicker.

Now open it in the LAMH Editor.

Under the Export FiberHair, I give it a unique name & set the compression level to 3 then Export.  

When it's done MAKE SURE TO CLOSE THAT PANEL!  Make sure you also Close the Editor. Guaranteed error or crash otherwise.

Reparent the newly created Group(s) to the Base rig of the Character.

DELETE the LAMH Group.  Now save this scene as this is what you'll use for the export. Hiding items and or having any remnants of LAMH goobers the FBX Export for some reason.

There are a lot of things to watch out for if trying to export Morphs, but I'm not going to go into all of that.  The Bat is pretty straight forward though as an example. If you wanted the False Vampire Bat version (larger ears), you would have had to dialed that morph in BEFORE Creating the FiberHair. Then in the FBX Morph List, you set that one specifically to Bake.

Note in the FBX Export List, that the Figure is a Figure, and the Hair/Fur is a Prop. When you export, you'll have one FBX and an .images folder.

From here your on your own as I bring this into Lightwave.

For Posing though, I strip away everything but the base character (so no hair, lashes, etc.) as it's simply the bones information you need. I turn off collecting textures, uncheck Morphs and check Base Figure Pose Only. I save this in a Zero Pose then Apply a pose, export as just noted, rinse & repeat with a new pose.  They export in seconds so easy to whang out a library in a couple minutes.

Once converted, I can use a Load from Scene technique.

Hope you can glean something from this.

MorphDialedInNotes.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 650K
    BakedMorphNote.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 476K
    Bone Surgery Removal.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 377K
    AckMe_080_005.jpg
    809 x 455 - 141K
    AckMe_240_005.jpg
    809 x 455 - 161K