Beta for DazCentral, your new Content Manager

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

mrinal said:

Plugin installation/update support could have been added to SmartContent. V4/M4 capability and content development is pretty much frozen wrt Daz store, so once installed via DIM/manual don't require further maintenance. Doesn't justify building an entire "parallel" product for it.

Yeah, I don't think ease-of-use is the point of this, but rather DRM.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

I want them to release the Mac version just so I can try it on my colossal library and watch it whimper and admit defeat.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

How does this play with custom runtimes? I kind of like the browsing through content aspect, but don't want automatically installing anything (not plugins, not content - just tell me there's an update and I'll take care of it).

Sevrin said:

mrinal said:

Plugin installation/update support could have been added to SmartContent. V4/M4 capability and content development is pretty much frozen wrt Daz store, so once installed via DIM/manual don't require further maintenance. Doesn't justify building an entire "parallel" product for it.

If that is the case, haven't we been here before and said NO already?

Also: DIM, Central, Connect - no wonder people think it's complicated.

But as long as I can install and organise by hand according to my own system...

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,999
    Sevrin said:

mrinal said:

And you're basing that assumption on what, exactly?

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,023
    Leana said:
    Sevrin said:

mrinal said:

And you're basing that assumption on what, exactly?

Having just installed it and checked it out, it's ease of use, not DRM. Looking at it there are a *lot* of requested features in it that I've seen people asking for in the forums. The tutorials section alone I think would be worth it to a lot of folks (especially new ones). I have a... tricky setup, so I'll see how it handles it. Looks very slick though. I definitely like being able to see what figure stuff is for before I install it.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I installed it and it tells me that I am running DAZ Studio 4.12 but does not distinguish between the General Release and the Beta (I am using the Beta). Nor does it give me the full version number (4.12.1.117). It says I need to update 4.12 but, again, which (GR or Beta)? And to what version?

edited May 2020

Mine tells me I don't have Studio and offers to install it, despite being pointed to the correct existing install path.

It sees my content, but wants to install all of it. Also, it doesn't seem to group any of it in any useful way, or at all.

I don't see how this, in its current form, is an improvement on P3DO, which does show my stuff in its directories, and has an awesome search tool

Also, is there a way to uninstall it other than just deleting the install directory? I'm going to keep it for now, and see how it develops, but software should always have an easy way to UNinstall. Okay, it does offer the regular Windows uninstall options after yet another restart.

Post edited by Nath on
  • stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 351
    edited May 2020

Not a good start, it's telling me I need to install Daz Studio 4.12 when it is already installed in the path it has in it's settings.

EDIT

Apart from that it appears to work OK, and a lot friendlier than DIM when people first start with Daz Studio,

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,023

Well, it is a beta :D

@Daz_Jacob, Mods, should we post issues/problems/suggestions here or is there another thread for that?

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Sorry, I don't get what's the point of this app?

Sounds for me like a better looking DIM with less features?

• stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 351
    edited May 2020

Well, it is a beta :D

@Daz_Jacob, Mods, should we post issues/problems/suggestions here or is there another thread for that?

All software is a beta these days.... I would have thought figuring out if the application is installed is something they should have got right before it even became an alpha...

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited May 2020

Wasn't impressed.

It forced a restart, which I aborted, and promptly deleted the item. I wouldn't have been able to abort, but for having unsaved work in various places and windows played nice (who knew?), giving me said abort option. I know you warn it may do that at the bottom of your post, but even so... a bit unfriendly.

No thanks.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    The system requirements say "NVIDIA RTX 2060 or above recommended for Studio 4.12. NVIDIA Iray Render Engine: 64-bit only. CUDA Compute Capability 2.0 or greater required." What does this use Iray for?
  • RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    DAZ_Jacob said:

Unfortunately, Mac isn’t a supported operating system at this time. 

Well, this is getting to be a habit.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I may be missing something pretty fundamental and obvious here (I have just such a hibit!) but I have to ask myself, and anyone else reading this, "what, why?"

Ok, One click open - saves me a click when I have the item I want to hand.  My index finger thanks you!

Easy content sorting - I am not sure anything is really going to help me find something if, as usaul, I am not quite sure of the name of the product or PA, though any attempt tohelp search capability is nice.

Plug-in capabilities - now, just what? Not even sure I can frame a coherent question on this!

Sleek user interface - this makes me nervous. Ok, I have not see it (and I don't think I will be), but that, to me, usually is a herald of 'this is our way of doing stuff, live with it'.

From the one-click load option this is, presumably, able to run alongside Daz Studio, but unlike DIM can also be used for downloading and installing whilst Daz Studio is running.

I eschew Connect, and would not touch that with the langets barge-pole in the world.  DIM, I like.  It could have been done better, but it does what it is supposed to.  Now a third 'content control' mechanism?  I can only think that one existing method is heading for the scrap heap.

SimonJM said:

I eschew Connect, and would not touch that with the langets barge-pole in the world.  DIM, I like.  It could have been done better, but it does what it is supposed to.  Now a third 'content control' mechanism?  I can only think that one existing method is heading for the scrap heap.

I hope that's Connect.

• plarsonplarson Posts: 21
    Nath said:

How does this play with custom runtimes? I kind of like the browsing through content aspect, but don't want automatically installing anything (not plugins, not content - just tell me there's an update and I'll take care of it).

Don't think it does. Of course, I have only been able to sign in once.

plarson said:
    Nath said:

Don't think it does. Of course, I have only been able to sign in once.

I just get a list of stuff and it wants to install everything, so I am thinking you're right, it doesn't.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

My most frequent use of DIM, other than installation, is to right-click on a package and check the location of installed files.  Hope a new system retains this function, or something that serves the same purpose.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    SimonJM said:
    From the one-click load option this is, presumably, able to run alongside Daz Studio, but unlike DIM can also be used for downloading and installing whilst Daz Studio is running.

DIM can install while DS is running, PostgreSQL is much more robust than Valentina was.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Sorry, not interested. Sounds too much like an unholy child of Connect and Not So Smart Content. I have no issues with DIM.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,721

Found my install paths for downloads were reverted to my C: drive. And only because of a major Windows 10 update today. My drive was maxed out. Thanks. It took a bit, and finally found a slew of 'Custom' paths added to my DIM that were not there yesterday. Deleted them, uninstalled today's downloads, and reinstalled to my F: drive.

Now, how the heck do you uninstall DAZ Central? I don't want a program that is going to override my paths and preferences behind my back.

Mary

Found my install paths for downloads were reverted to my C: drive. And only because of a major Windows 10 update today. My drive was maxed out. Thanks. It took a bit, and finally found a slew of 'Custom' paths added to my DIM that were not there yesterday. Deleted them, uninstalled today's downloads, and reinstalled to my F: drive.

Now, how the heck do you uninstall DAZ Central? I don't want a program that is going to override my paths and preferences behind my back.

Mary

Someone has already mentioned using the 'standard' windows add/remove program mechanism to do this.

Mary

Yeah, my DIM download and install paths were changed as well (disclaimer: I don't use DIM to install, just to download updates)

That's not good. What else did it mess up that I haven't found yet?

I'll be deleting the DAZ Central folder and using Ccleaner to remove any remains.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,721
    edited May 2020

I tried the standard Window uninstall, but it is not listed. I looked in the program and its uninstaller gave me a weird message about not able to be used or something. I used DIM to uninstall it, but the files are still in C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZCentral. Oh that message I got was 'This app can't run on your PC' when I clicked on the .exe file to remove DAZ Central. This is like a sticky spider putting tentacles into my system.

I went and deleted the folder, found the warning by security this time. Then deleted the desktop icon. 

My Windows 10 update was able to run now.

Feedback to the DAZ Team. Please, take into consideration that many of us have our content on drives other than C: and allow us to easily adjust this product to read our DIM setups initially before it decides it is going with a default mode. Or at least ask questions, and allow us to direct the program to our desired paths.

I hate Wednesdays that start this way.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    Diomede said:

My most frequent use of DIM, other than installation, is to right-click on a package and check the location of installed files.  Hope a new system retains this function, or something that serves the same purpose.

I use DIM for this too.  It's how I usually get at tutorial videos, etc.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574

On a box running Windows 7 Pro:

Automatic forced restart without the normal "Requires restart - do you want to do this now?". What is the thinking behind designing it this way?

Spun for 3 min after launching and entering my credentials, until finally coming up saying I don't have DS installed (which I do) - no mention of what it was doing all that time. I almost killed it, but it should really tell you what it's doing.

In the settings:

Update Assets Automatically default as ON. This should be OFF by default.

No mention of what version of DS it wants to install. When you click on Details, it does say 4.12, but that's as specific as it gets. The fact of the matter is that different versions break things and there are reasons people may not always want the latest version installed. This is especially important since past installers are not available to us unless we archive them oursleves.

Not listed under "Uninstall or Change a Program". This is basic functionality and it should be listed there.

Using the link it installed to "uninstall", I get an error message saying the uninstaller is not a valid program.

So how do I uninstall this?

- Greg

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    SimonJM said:

DIM can install while DS is running, PostgreSQL is much more robust than Valentina was.

Wait, what?  I read a post in the forums that clearly stated that DIM and DS should not be open at the same time, as it would mess up the database.  I don't have to make sure one is closed and leave several seconds before starting the other?

gitika1 said:
    SimonJM said:

Wait, what?  I read a post in the forums that clearly stated that DIM and DS should not be open at the same time, as it would mess up the database.  I don't have to make sure one is closed and leave several seconds before starting the other?

I, too, have read this and I make sure I do, despite having been a database admin for many years and wholly bemused about how a multi-user application cannot cope with such things.  I suspect they really and truly now mean just the don't update Daz Studio via DIM whilst DS is running.