Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Just a word of thanks to ALL for replying on my net/storm probs. Hahaaa...trping from a library computer - 30 seconds left til it shuts off.

cya
    jay

Sorry Jay, I must of missed that post. Oh dear. Well I hope you can get up and running again soon.

A little Wings 3D video from me today.

Wings 3D project - torus twist - by David Brinnen

Twisted_torus_octane1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 356K
    Twisted_torus1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 397K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2014

David: so how was the car trip did you take any photos on your journey?? does the car run good?? what color is it??? Tell all the details I need a good story......I bet the scenery over there is really beautiful.......Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

David: so how was the car trip did you take any photos on your journey?? does the car run good?? what color is it??? Tell all the details I need a good story......I bet the scenery over there is really beautiful.......Trish

Me no, my mate who was giving me a lift did. But all I have is this one of me struggling to program his sat nav for the return journey. The car runs very well thank you. It is blue in colour. The scenery over the Peak was lovely indeed, in spite of the low cloud and drizzle - however, mostly I was concentrating on navigation on the way there and driving on the way back with a load of stuff rattling around in the back (picked up a tow bar from a Subaru breakers while I was there - since we have no breakers locally). We came down through Winnats Pass https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=winnats+pass&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yWQbU8jCKYyGhQeHyoHoBw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=989

Car is a Subaru Impreza WRX 5 door - 215 bhp 2 ltr turbo - very nice to drive, 4WD - a comfortable but firm ride.

Me_programming_sat_nav1.jpg
    499 x 277 - 68K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ David

Glad to see all went well on your trip and it looks like your new car was worth the trip. Having English ancestry from Cornwall, I always wanted to see some of the countryside over in the U.K. Doubt at my age it will ever happen.

Tried to check out your latest video, but my video display issues seem to be getting worse as I crashed as soon as I got to that page. I am just grateful that so far I am not crashing when logging into DAZ. ( AMD Support people currently trying to figure out my problem )

Have a great day and enjoy your new wheels...

Bruce

edited December 1969

goshtac said:
    @ David

Glad to see all went well on your trip and it looks like your new car was worth the trip. Having English ancestry from Cornwall, I always wanted to see some of the countryside over in the U.K. Doubt at my age it will ever happen.

Tried to check out your latest video, but my video display issues seem to be getting worse as I crashed as soon as I got to that page. I am just grateful that so far I am not crashing when logging into DAZ. ( AMD Support people currently trying to figure out my problem )

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, sorry to hear you have display issues. Technology sometimes seems more of a burden than a blessing. An issue I have with modern cars, all the electronics, nice when it works, baffling when it does not. But anyway, Cornwall I understand is very pretty, I've only been there once to pick up a cat for a friend (700 mile round trip for a bald cat) - that was a long day too. Mostly though, there's nowhere on this small crowded island that you would probably call proper countryside, at least not by say US standards. It is all gardens, conurbation or industrial agriculture (which is Lincolnshire where I live). There are a few areas, like the Peak District, Lake District and North Yorkshire Moors, which are scenic playgrounds. But I suspect, if air dropped in, they would vanish into the USA's wildernesses without a trace.

edited March 2014

David: cool....thanks for the link the pictures are great....England is on my list...of places to see one of these days....glad everything turned out well...The steering wheel appears to be on the wrong side of the car though.....LOL....I have driven a couple like that...hard to get used to....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

David: cool....thanks for the link the pictures are great....England is on my list...of places to see one of these days....glad everything turned out well...The steering wheel appears to be on the wrong side of the car though.....LOL....I have driven a couple like that...hard to get used to....Trish

No the steering wheel is on the right side of the car, which is the right side.

edited March 2014

Pam: LOL...then that should work for the right side of the road also.....you are so funny...

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

goshtac said:
    @ David

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, sorry to hear you have display issues. Technology sometimes seems more of a burden than a blessing. An issue I have with modern cars, all the electronics, nice when it works, baffling when it does not. But anyway, Cornwall I understand is very pretty, I've only been there once to pick up a cat for a friend (700 mile round trip for a bald cat) - that was a long day too. Mostly though, there's nowhere on this small crowded island that you would probably call proper countryside, at least not by say US standards. It is all gardens, conurbation or industrial agriculture (which is Lincolnshire where I live). There are a few areas, like the Peak District, Lake District and North Yorkshire Moors, which are scenic playgrounds. But I suspect, if air dropped in, they would vanish into the USA's wildernesses without a trace.

Hmm you missed a couple there, How about the Brecon Beacons, Pembrokeshire Coast or Snowdonia National parks. Or were you considering Wales to be a different country.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    goshtac said:
    @ David

Bruce

Hmm you missed a couple there, How about the Brecon Beacons, Pembrokeshire Coast or Snowdonia National parks. Or were you considering Wales to be a different country.

It is! My memory of Wales is that it is virtually an underwater realm. I've never seen so much rain in my life.

edited March 2014

chohole said:
    goshtac said:
    @ David

Bruce

It is! My memory of Wales is that it is virtually an underwater realm. I've never seen so much rain in my life.

Well we are at 1200 ft so if the water got this high most of England would already be under water. We have lots of ups and downs, I think it is more ups than downs sometimes. I was told, very seriously, by a welshman that the reason Wales has so many mountains and valleys is that when the Angles and Saxons started getting serious about their invading the Welsh pushed and shoved and gathered Wales up behind Offa's Dyke to keep them Angles and Saxons out.

And we had sunshine today, all day.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited March 2014

I used to work here.... http://www.gaports.com/portofbrunswick.aspx so I have driven a lot of cars but never a car like yours David....We did get to see Nick Cages Porsche though that was the coolest thing that ever happened to me out there....besides working for and driving Porches that was about it....that's my story for you.....back to rendering.....later everyone....

Post edited by Trish on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fran: Pinto is awesome looking. It's a nice addition. And yeah, the leaves do look a bit out of sorts. It's just one of many things I'm still trying to figure out.

@Bruce: Whoa, too much snow for my taste. We did get some snow this winter, but it usually melted within a day or two. If we get anything like you show in the photos it's the result of a blizzard. Your latest scene is looking real good.

@David: Congrats on the car. Beautiful country you drove through, thanks for the photos. Material experiments look really good. I guess I'm of two minds about the model. With the material it came with it looks like a right out of the box machine. With your modifications it looks like it's seem some use. I think both would be valid, depending on the atmosphere of the scene being created. Thanks for another great Wings video.

@Pam: Before I read Trish's post, I too thought the second scene looked like a photo. An old photo that wasn't taken care of very well.

@Dave: That poster is really out there. Nice work, as usual.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Congrats on the car. Beautiful country you drove through, thanks for the photos. Material experiments look really good. I guess I'm of two minds about the model. With the material it came with it looks like a right out of the box machine. With your modifications it looks like it's seem some use. I think both would be valid, depending on the atmosphere of the scene being created. Thanks for another great Wings video.

I see your point Jamie, however, the aim of the modifications was not to change the appearance of the materials but to restore and as far as possible (and keeping to the spirit of the settings) as they should of been sent over from DS. DAZ Studio does not do a good job of interpreting material settings for Bryce, in spite of them being stablemates, they do not talk the same language. If I'd have chosen a figure, the high level of reflection would have been more obviously wrong, in this case, being metal, we can imagine it is just a very shiny "alien" metal - you know the sort? We used our sharpest drills on it and it hasn't even scratched the surface!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - thanks for the winter pics. Looks like here on a real winter, which we haven't got this year. Not that I would complain ...
    Great objects in your space scene.
    Cornwall in the UK is very nice. The whole south west is. Was there trice spending holidays and walking around the Dartmoor and Exmoor.

@Trish - village looks nice though I'm seldom happy with how the material shows up in Bryce. I usually need hours to get it to my taste.

Hehe, yes, the British drive on the wrong side of the road. When you're there with your car which has the steering wheel on the right side, which is the left side, then you're a bit handicapped when you want to overtake (pass) a slow car.

@Pam - that old photo village render looks great. I'm not sure but if you load each house one after the other into Bryce, you shouldn't get multiple image maps. Of course, if you put the houses into the object library, each one will have the image maps and the library grows fast. But when you use the houses, there shouldn't be more than the common map. At least the Bryce file shouldn't get gigantic. I've never tried this and measured the memory Bryce uses.

@Dave - the Alien rock band poster is great.

@David - this is a rare case when I like the DS materials better than the new ones. It reminds me of my Nilfisk vacuum cleaner. Though the glass parts are absolutely superior in the render with the Bryce materials.

Nice countryside you passed through on your way. What was the destination? Manchester, the Wirral, ..?

Wales didn't appear very flat to me. Been to the Wye Valley (Tintern Abbey) on a mystery tour from the British Rail a few years ago in 1971.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - this is a rare case when I like the DS materials better than the new ones. It reminds me of my Nilfisk vacuum cleaner. Though the glass parts are absolutely superior in the render with the Bryce materials.

Nice countryside you passed through on your way. What was the destination? Manchester, the Wirral, ..?

Wales didn't appear very flat to me. Been to the Wye Valley (Tintern Abbey) on a mystery tour from the British Rail a few years ago in 1971.

Aye, I was reminded of that too. All the materials though are sort of DS but how they appear to start with is a unintended consequence of the bridge. A happy accident it reminds you of your Nilfisk (mine never looked that shiny though) - more like the adjusted material in my case.

The destination was https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hayfield/@53.3787592,-1.9492641,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x487bcb53f54a5eb7:0x1f2caa32906d4fcc

Wales as I understand it is definitely not flat. But all I remember was the interminable rain! Pam will no doubt correct me, but that's how I found it. Decidedly soggy. Didn't help that we were in a tent.

edited December 1969

Ah, near Manchester, then. Oh, my Nilfisk also lost a bit of its shininess over the 40+ years I've been using it.

edited March 2014

Horo said:

Aye, I was reminded of that too. All the materials though are sort of DS but how they appear to start with is a unintended consequence of the bridge. A happy accident it reminds you of your Nilfisk (mine never looked that shiny though) - more like the adjusted material in my case.

The destination was https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hayfield/@53.3787592,-1.9492641,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x487bcb53f54a5eb7:0x1f2caa32906d4fcc

Wales as I understand it is definitely not flat. But all I remember was the interminable rain! Pam will no doubt correct me, but that's how I found it. Decidedly soggy. Didn't help that we were in a tent.

Well I admit it can get a wee bit damp up here. Strangely enough Wales was a fave holiday destination before we actually moved here, and we were usually lucky with weather when on holiday. I remember one holiday when it rained on the last day of the holiday, and we had to pack wet tents, and another when we had a dampish holiday when staying in Prestatyn Pontins. That was, coincidently, the year everyone was worrying about radio active rain and were refusing to go out in it when it did rain.
    However one year we had a holiday when Wales was in drought conditions and the farmers etc were praying for rain. so 2 years out of 9 or 10 wasn't a bad average.

Mostly, especially when we have been in North Wales the main problem has been low flying clouds. When we were camping once in Snowdonia National Park area we were mainly woken in the morning by the RAF jets doing a fly past, below us it appeared.

One morning they didn't fly, because of low flying clouds and everyone on the camp site overslept. lol

On a car note, the first camping holiday we had in Wales I was chugging around in a Vauxhall HA Viva, vintage 1963, and she coped with the Welsh mountains very well, despite being almost 15 years old. We did in excess of 1200 miles that holiday.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

I see your point Jamie, however, the aim of the modifications was not to change the appearance of the materials but to restore and as far as possible (and keeping to the spirit of the settings) as they should of been sent over from DS. DAZ Studio does not do a good job of interpreting material settings for Bryce, in spite of them being stablemates, they do not talk the same language. If I'd have chosen a figure, the high level of reflection would have been more obviously wrong, in this case, being metal, we can imagine it is just a very shiny "alien" metal - you know the sort? We used our sharpest drills on it and it hasn't even scratched the surface!

Okay, I missed the reason in the video why you were modifying the material. It all seems rather strange to me with regards to transferring material correctly from one program to another. When the bridge was developed, this should have been one of many things that should have been tested.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Jay-Hope your connection is fixed soon

Guss – Thanks

Fran – Thanks, adorable Pinto. Your work is amazing.

Horo – Thanks

David – Congrats on your win, and thanks for the new videos.

Chohole – Love the 2nd render –I agree with the other it looks like an old photo.

Goshtac- awesome space scene

My attempts at David’s tutorial my take on the 3 hypertextures from

Hypertexture driven high contrast gel lit rendering - by David Brinnen

hypergel3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 34K
    hypergel2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 25K
    hypergel1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 31K
    edited December 1969

David – Congrats on your win, and thanks for the new videos.

My attempts at David’s tutorial my take on the 3 hypertextures from

Hypertexture driven high contrast gel lit rendering - by David Brinnen

You are welcome, and the renders turned out well, I hope you are pleased with the results?

Just a head's up for anyone interested. My shop is on sale with the MM at the moment - http://www.daz3d.com/david-brinnen or at least much of it is, due to a collaboration on materials I've done with Forbidden Whispers over on the Dark Side. But never the less, good time to pick up something if there is anything you fancy.

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Really nice results you have there.

@David: I fancy quite a lot, and a lot has to wait.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Jeez...imagine you've been living in the dark ages (partial power, and no 'net contact) for the last month or so and, suddenly, your phone rings at 10pm tonight - being informed by a technition that you are now connected...phew (what a relief....was near to insanity - not conecting to the outside world, and the Bryce forum).

Mermaid, and, of course, others I'm failing to mention (so sorry) - many thanks for your comments. So, back in business again - 'til the next storm :)

David...WOW..a car...congrats - I love Ebay (saves a ton on books, CDs/DVDs and all other things etc.,).

Have to go and catch up with the latest Bryce posts, and looking forward to the next Bryce challenge - wonder what's going through Trish's mind right now topic-wise...;) No pressure, Trish - only a thousand or so Bryce viewers are waiting...hahaaaa (sorry, must be my net-connection enthusiasm ;) ). Have to admit, though, your work was one of my favs and had it as a wallpaper for a while when it first came out. Guess, I won in a way, too ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

I have the theme, I just have to write up the thread.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited March 2014

Well here is sort of a Bryce render. Actually it's just the background that the the Bryce part, the foreground was rendered in DS. I entered this, titled "secret meeting" into a contest, but alas, did not win. Are there any big issues with it that anybody think stands out (other than choosing a different subject entirely)? I tried to get those yellow lights on the ground to look kind of like city lights, but they were kind of dim. Since I have no idea what kind of world or architecture or technology level applies to this drawing, I was hesitant to try to make anything resembling a modern cityscape.
    I need to get rid of the ambient on the dark purple-black dress, I think that looks bad even though it was the only way to get the reflection on the back.
    Lighting was totally made up, since doing it right would have left it too dark to see.
    I'm also aware the sky isn't purple, but I took a few liberties there because I really liked that particular accident.
    I considered having the clouds lit in areas by the moon rather than being an evenly wispy grey, but wasn't sure if that would look bad or good, and I would have completely missed the entry deadline had I tried and not gotten it right the very first try out of pure luck.

Oh yeah, and I started to try to use the Bryce starfield and moon before abandoning those completely. Does anybody have a good nice starfield recommendation for Bryce?

secret_meeting.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 894K
    Post edited by sriesch on
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Getting a phone call at 10 PM to let you know you're reconnected to the world is better than never receiving a call. You could still be waiting on repairs when in fact they had been made. Happy reading.

@Sean: I like your latest scene, and the color of the sky. I had to enlarge the image to see the lights you mentioned, and perhaps a little less haze will help let them be seen better. Otherwise, my not so experienced eyes don't see anything else I would change.

edited March 2014

Jay: you are so funny... I am glad you are re-connected now.....I have already picked out a topic...but I think its up to Pam to say what it is ..Don't know if I am supposed to or not.....sorry.....Thank you for saying you liked my render....maybe that was the luck I needed for you to put it on your desktop be sure and do that next time also....LOL
    Sean: I don't see a think wrong with your render...I like that it was made in both programs...and the city lights from the ground was a great idea....of course you will know I love the sky being purple ...What was the theme of the contest??

Post edited by Trish on
    edited March 2014

@Jay - there used to be two things that must not fail: water supply and electricity. No water means no coffee while you wait until the water comes back. No electricity means no light to read a book while waiting. Communication is the new third. Its absence is is very hard to bear: the world collapses into our small environment.

@Sean - that's a very nice scene, I think it's difficult to improve on it. Stars are always a bit difficult to get right in Bryce. There is Universe Image Creator (http://www.diardsoftware.com/) which may be used to create backdrops. The version offered on the website is 1.63 from 2000. The image size is fix 640 x 480 but several images could be tiled. I have an unlicensed version but I hardly ever used it. Though it has some potential.

@mermaid010 - those shapes came out nicely.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, and I started to try to use the Bryce starfield and moon before abandoning those completely. Does anybody have a good nice starfield recommendation for Bryce?

Found this: http://3docean.net/item/hdri-spherical-sky-panorama-2103-night-stars/3361993?ref=mengqiqi
    But haven't had an excuse to purchase it yet. :)

edited December 1969
    Spooky2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 120K
This discussion has been closed.