Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

@Dave - looks less spooky with the red car, more like a police hold-up with a bright floodlight. Could be a movie scene.

@GussNemo - yours came out nice. The ones with the hypertrexture have a lot of specular.

With the "moon" higher up, there are no shadows in the fog. But I made the trees partly transparent. Rendered premium with 9 rpp in less than 19 hours.

Creepy.jpg
    800 x 800 - 84K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

So I spend ages putting an image together, and then, encouraged by someone I thought was a friend, it gets totally trashed in Filter Forge.

saxon_scene_5a_copy.jpg
    1373 x 1040 - 864K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I too noticed the specular on the trees when I used the hypertexture on the fog material and changed the Fall Off for the radial light to none. A person in the Gallery even thought the ground plane was water, which in a way it does. Your latest spooky trees images has a very nice atmospheric quality to it. And looking at the enlarged version, how you placed the lantern gives me the feeling of a door into that tree. As though someone/something lives in that tree.

@Pam: While you may believe that image is ruined, I see it as a tapestry like image. It has the qualities of the running threads that you see in a tapestry.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Pam: It doesn't look "trashed" at all.
    It's a great scene and the 'filter' maybe a little strong but it certainly gives it an almost watercolour feel like the site artist does on Time Team when he's illustrating what the village that the team have just been digging would look.

Horo said:
    @Dave - looks less spooky with the red car, more like a police hold-up with a bright floodlight. Could be a movie scene.

With the "less spooky" comment in mind... I did this version. :cheese:
    FlorencePoster.jpg
    422 x 650 - 278K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: In your latest car image I now get a more sinister feeling about that car.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,740
    edited December 1969

Looks like I've been away too long again.
    I must try the spooky trees, because that looks great!
    Hope to come with renders later!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2014

Chohole...that's a great result...reminds me of the screen print technique where background light seeps slightly through the weave...gorgeous.

Savage....can't wait for the 3D version...;

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    So I spend ages putting an image together, and then, encouraged by someone I thought was a friend, it gets totally trashed in Filter Forge.

Trashed? Hardly...I agree with the one comment that it looks a bit like a watercolor, which is a good thing. It might be a little dark around the center-right bottom, but overall, it's a wonderful image. The composition is excellent with the roof top view and the ships and the coastline in the background. I like it and I'd hang it...if I had the wall space.

edited December 1969

Okay, last one...promise. See those silly blue green glasses on your desk, time to put them on ;)

Title: Druid

Jay

druid-stone.jpg
    967 x 480 - 281K
    edited December 1969

@Pam - that's a very nice village scene. I'm not particularly fond of the filtering effect but then, it looks a bit like a painting on tissue.

@Dave - ok, it's a movie, then. Promo looks great.

@Jay - I like the anaglyph.

edited December 1969

I do have a more normal version saved, also one where I toned down the filter I used

saxon_scene_5a_copy2.jpg
    1413 x 1080 - 760K
    saxon_scene_5b_copy.jpg
    1413 x 1080 - 740K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2014

Pam: I really like both of them... all the detail you added is great...looks like they could be oil paintings...from one of the masters...
    Haven't done much lately had a computer bug.....bummer... seems to be gone now...some kind of malware deal....so I am way behind on my comments...but I have been watching and I am really liking every ones renders!!!....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Pam - the unfiltered render really shows off what great scene you made, full of details. It looks natural. However, there is always the aspect what the artist intended. The new filtered one looks good, too. The saturation on the first filtered one was probably a bit on the generous side.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

New little Wings 3D project Wings 3D project - little Ouroboros critter - by David Brinnen

The example image was made also with the Hue Shift Trick.

Bryce 5 minute scene - TA hue saturation shift trick - a tutorial by David Brinnen

and

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - high energy gel light and hue shift trick - by David Brinnen

Horo did a good job achieving spookyness without the fog shadows and the partially transparent trees is an interesting idea and very effective in that image.

Pam, I found the first example a bit extreme, hiding rather too much detail from your original render. Of the second two, both work for me although the filtered version is a little bit more striking. So I am torn there since I am always in two minds about postwork.

Dave, everything you do is good!

Jay - 3D Glasses - I have them on hand! Cool! As you know I'm a convert to Anaglyphs thanks to Horo's influence. Worked for me and my glasses.

Hue_shift_trick3_ouro1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 151K
    edited December 1969

Horo did a good job achieving spookyness without the fog shadows and the partially transparent trees is an interesting idea and very effective in that image.

Thank you. I combined the two schemes and hope it will be an improvement. I started the render yesterday morning and expect it to finish sometime tomorrow. Interesting shape, the new one.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Guss-you got some nice effects with the spooky renders

Horo – the transparent trees one is unusual, cool effect. Looking forward to seeing the combined one.

Pam – the last one is beautiful absolutely gorgeous. Before I got hooked to Bryce, I used to spend my time converting photos to paintings in Photoshop using only the filters that come with Photoshop. Had lots of fun doing that.

Dave-lovely poster

Jay – I don’t have them silly blue green glasses so I cant put them on……. ;)

David- thanks for the new videos. I still need to try the last two Wings objects you posted.

edited March 2014

Cheers. Horo, David - that last Wings's thingy looks like some kind of Armadillo snake...SSSSSSSSSSSSS

Mermaid, I don't think it's the glasses that are silly, but the people, like me, who wear them :P

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969
    wings_bend_to_mob.jpg
    654 x 633 - 100K
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

David : that would make a really cool sculpture .....for a desk...or art gallery scene ....Trish

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Figures made like this Wings 3D, UV Mapper Classic and DS - deforming a DS figure - by David Brinnen

Ground material from here http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-treppenhalle-set

Metal material from here http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-fifty-funky-shapes-and-fifty-funky-metals

Lighting from here http://www.daz3d.com/practical-bryce-7-1-pro-volume-1

Trish, thanks, aye it would be possible to print it out but I don't know what the copyright situation would be with the default DS figure.

Mermaid, nice work! Good to see the tuts being used and combined. Well done!

DS_120_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 289K
    edited March 2014

@David - nice wheel-shape but the bent human figure looks exceptionally good.

@mermaid010 - the shapes are nicely presented.

I've finally got my render with the spooky/creepy trees with transparency, Dan's fog sphere and 5% soft shadows. Rendered premium with 9 rpp in 2 minutes and 34 seconds less than 56 hours.

CreepyTrees.jpg
    800 x 800 - 96K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - nice wheel-shape but the bent human figure looks exceptionally good.

@mermaid010 - the shapes are nicely presented.

I've finally got my render with the spooky/creepy trees with transparency, Dan's fog sphere and 5% soft shadows. Rendered premium with 9 rpp in 2 minutes and 34 seconds less than 56 hours.

Thanks Horo,

Quite a long render... but the results are good. No doubt you were punished for the combination of transparency and volumetric fog. It is testimony to the fixes put in place that you were able to render this out without a crash. The rays are a nice touch, but given the render time I can't help but wonder if Dwsel might not be able to suggest a compositing method that would achieve the same results with postwork? Though the all Bryce way is my preferred approach. Even if it takes a little bit longer...

edited December 1969

@David - thank you. Yes, the fog with transparency and soft shadows is what slows the render down to a crawl. The ground rendered acceptably swift. Without doubt postwork can also accomplish this effect and certainly much faster. If producing the artwork is the main aim, every tool is permited to get it finished. I was more for experimenting what Bryce can do. Though I like this render, the resulting artwork wasn't worth the wait; the experiment, however, was.

edited March 2014

Ok I got around to watching the video about the spooky trees....of course I didn't copy it ...but here is my own idea......
    David: not print it out but use it inside ....of Bryce like in a render of a art studio....you know paintings on the wall and the sculpture thing on the floor....Horo: had a neat building render with art stuff inside ...I wish I could find it....edit here it is ...put the statue in here. or some other building...that's what I was trying to say....p.s. have not watched the video yet but do you think I could do the same thing with an animal????....Trish

Untitled.jpg
    266 x 162 - 43K
    Trees9.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Ok I got around to watching the video about the spooky trees....of course I didn't copy it ...but here is my own idea......
    David: not print it out but use it inside ....of Bryce like in a render of a art studio....you know paintings on the wall and the sculpture thing on the floor....Horo: had a neat building render with art stuff inside ...I wish I could find it....edit here it is ...put the statue in here. or some other building...that's what I was trying to say....p.s. have not watched the video yet but do you think I could do the same thing with an animal????....Trish

Damp but not spooky. It's like this here often. But with less trees!

Yes it should work with any model you can bring into Wings3D. Animals included, just that you need to consider the mesh as a rod and figure out where you want it to bend from, what the end of it is and where to put your normal.

Here's a high resolution version of the above image bended figures without the blue haze.

DS_120_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 820K
    edited December 1969

In case you didn't notice the "out of memory" thread had jumped to the top of the list, I uploaded a video from Horo last night to my channel.

Bryce Memory Shortage - and what you can do about it - by Horo Wernli

It is well worth watching, even if you don't think you will be hitting the Bryce memory ceiling today, it will put you in good stead for the future if you have this information at your finger tips.

edited December 1969

@Trish - your trees in the fog look really nice. Not a night scene, it rather reminds me of a humid morning. Good idea about a gallery with Bryce images and objects - Bryce within Bryce so to speak.

@David - this sculpture is indeed great. Thank you also for hosting that video.

edited December 1969

Did a follow up from my last render.

Fortunately for the Saxon Settlement they were not the target of the Viking invaders, but the ring leader of the pigs who were causing mayhem got his comeuppance, as did the guard who failed to spot the viking ships while watching the pigs causing chaos. He was put on punishment duty, standing in for a slave, who could then be used elsewhere.

saxon_punished.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 848K
This discussion has been closed.