Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dan.. But you know, without your fog technique, the sun glow doesn't match like it looks here. Both of the stuff must be employed to work well.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: So true about the leaves, it's one of the things I noticed after it rendered. The other was that some branches were longer than others and bare. It's going to take a bit of trial and error to understand how to tweak what to get something that look nice. And the leaves are right up there at the top.

@c-ram: That's a very beautiful scene. Looks like some places I've seen in my extremely younger days. And what's dan's fog technique? I must have missed it along the way.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Fantastic renders everyone! Here is my new contribution : a frozen land with lots of trees. It's inspired of a work from Massimo Verona, a famous Vue artist.

Hope you like it.

Good weekend to all of you.

Could pass for a photograph, your technique works very well but the composition of this scene and the subdued colour palette also play a great role in selling your scene.

For my part, I'm still rounding up the texture renders. This one uses a model I made in Wings3D a few years ago. I'm currently bidding on another Scooby to replace my poor old workhorse, so I guess vehicles are in my mind.

Main1_m.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 788K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @c-ram: That's a very beautiful scene. Looks like some places I've seen in my extremely younger days. And what's dan's fog technique? I must have missed it along the way.

Thank you guss. Well, you can find an example of making a crepuscular scene in one of David's videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCK-HD9XXo. It describes the way to make the foggy dome from Dan.

Good work with arboro, I think that your skill is growing faster with this program.

@David: you're right, the color palette is the key of the success in my picture. Right now I'm looking at your last video post on your YouTube chanel. Once again I have learn something I just don't know with 2d textures and your example work well.

edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    GussNemo said:

Thank you guss. Well, you can find an example of making a crepuscular scene in one of David's videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCK-HD9XXo. It describes the way to make the foggy dome from Dan.

Good work with arboro, I think that your skill is growing faster with this program.

@David: you're right, the color palette is the key of the success in my picture. Right now I'm looking at your last video post on your YouTube chanel. Once again I have learn something I just don't know with 2d textures and your example work well.

Thank you for the reminder, I've been so preoccupied I forgot to advertise that I had made another short video.

Supplementary video - Bump value and polarity tip - by David Brinnen

Image1.jpg
    653 x 575 - 148K
    edited December 1969

A quick project.

Wings 3D project - Barley Sugar Twist - by David Brinnen

Renders Bryce and Octane.

Barley_sugar_twist1_duo.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 299K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

Hi Folks;

Hope everyone warm and cozy at home today. Finally warmed up a bit here and I didn't forget, I got a few snapshots of our snow for those who were interested. Will get them transferred from camera in a day or 2 and upload a couple.

Today I am just popping in to show off a couple of props that will be featured in a new project I started several days. Getting back to my SCIFI roots.The actual project has been a pain in the backside from day 1. Lots of crashes and other issues. I thought I was fairly happy with the way the project looked at first and went to try a Fine Art render of it. Big Mistake there as the render time indicator estimated that in Fine Art mode it would take over 7 days to render. Don't want to tie up my computer that long. Plus I discovered I needed to make a few minor changes to the scene.

The image below is of some props to be appearing in my latest little Bryce render. Much of the models made in Bryce with primitives, but some parts done with Hexagon. Particularly the main dish antenna. (Yes - HEX likes to crash also and it has been awhile since I used that program.)

I also took DAZ Studio dune buggy and exported it to Bryce where I converted it more to a lunar rover with primitives. Also got to make use of the rover tires I had made awhile back but hadn't gotten around to build the rover yet ( Too many irons in the fire I guess )

Comments always welcome - Note even with all the details I put into the Antenna array, much won't be seen in final project very well as the antenna just plays a small part way in the background.

Have a great day folks and a safe and wonderful week!

Bruce

Antenna_Preview.jpg
    1565 x 1043 - 866K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

@David: Scene with the rims is awfully nice. Both of your latest videos are also very nice.

@c-ram: Thanks for the link. After watching the video I realized I hadn't missed it the first time around, just wasn't sure what to use it with. My normal state of mind. Thanks for the vote of confidence about Arbaro. I've still a lot to learn with regards to relationships between different parts of a tree.

@Bruce: Those three models are real keepers. Dish assembly is really nice.

• weibinxweibinx Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo: i used a hdr file but set the transparency to 100, and i unchecked the disable sun light but set the sun intensity diffuse to 0.
    @Horo: thanx. yes, just in that size.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2014

Another Village by Faveral.. Viking Village...goes in Bryce really easy....I didn't mess around with the lighting like I probably should have but I just wanted to show it ....The thing is very large....and the details are great....Trish

vv3a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 958K
    vv1ab.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Evening folks:

As usual, everyone is coming up with some great renders and David now has more videos for me to check out.

Trish - Love the Viking village - My wife and I are big fans of the series Vikings so I will have to check this out and maybe purchase it so I can play with it. Wife loves www.jigidi.com which has artwork and photos that can be made into online Jigsaw puzzles. I know she would really love to do a puzzle of a Viking Village..

Just out of curiosity - You said it loaded easy. How bout render times on it ( I know it varies with your systems, but just curious if it is long rendering a scene that detailed.) ( I am working on my latest render right now using my 8 core AMD with 16 gigs of RAM and even though I am rendering at standard quality and Anti-Aliasing, the Anti-Aliasing so far is taking over 7 hours and only 21% done) Total render time is already at over 30 hours.. Driving me a bit nuts right now... :ohh:

Have a good one...

Bruce

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Yellow Pen – the “race” render is nice

C-ram- lovely scene- very serene

David – once again cool experiences. Thanks for the new videos.

Goshtac-awesome modeling

Trish – love the Viking village

These abstracts were done using the abstract panoramic tutorial (minitut06} from Horo’s site.

panoramicabs1.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 156K
    abstract11.jpg
    750 x 562 - 60K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Haven't been in the forum for ages due to storm damage - trees pulled down line and it still isn't up (miss the net - that's for sure). Writing from a library computer, so will check back every now and then 'til my home connection gets back up again - doubtful as the company is so slow doing the repairs.

Cheers, for now.
    Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Haven't been in the forum for ages due to storm damage - trees pulled down line and it still isn't up (miss the net - that's for sure). Writing from a library computer, so will check back every now and then 'til my home connection gets back up again - doubtful as the company is so slow doing the repairs.

Cheers, for now.
    Jay

Oh that's not nice. Neil is in County Dublin and they escaped the worst of it, although he has had the roofer back about 3 times to do emergency repairs in between storms.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited March 2014

Bruce: Regular render with AA was less than 5 min. I could not believe how quick it was .... and yes it would depend on the settings this was real quick I did not use soft shadows.....and its only lit by 3 radials.....Trish
    mermaid...thanks
    Jay: wow sorry about your weather...hope everything is cleared up soon

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@David: Another nice video.

@mermaid: Love the results. So colorful.

@Trish: That is a very detailed village.

@Jay: Hope you get things squared away soon.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@ mermaid,
    I rather like that blue rabbit especially the softness of the reflection under it.
    And some interesting variations on the 2 shapes under it, again nice soft reflections.

@David,
    Interesting textures you have on the knots there, the center brick one of the last of the 3 split textures looks a little fuzzy, so I'm not sure what that's about.

@Horo,
    Interesting perspective on the outside of the building in that 1st render, I think I prefer the interior one though, as the outside looks a little over lit for my tastes.

@Dana,
    Thanks, I'm dying to have a go at making the Pea-Sea & Pea-Pod, but I really should finish all the characters first. I've got about 4 & 1/2 to go.
    I like those swords, especially the handle details.

@weibinx
    Love the soft shadows on your render of the bloke with the glass sphere.
    The hands and feet look really good. I'm finding the position of his bum on the ground isn't quite right. But I can't really say much about it, there's no way I could achieve anything as good as that.

@GussNemo,
    Your tree reminds me a little of the monkey puzzle. Interesting leaf shape though.

@yellowPen
    Love the background blur in that trains image, it really makes the engines jump out at you.

@c-ram,
    Oh my! That is just beautiful!

@David,
    Nice render on the patchy brick walls and wheel hubs, there's something a little off about the ground though, maybe it just looks a little too light?
    Nice barley sugar twists. (look forward to having some time to look at all your new videos at some point, they look interesting.)

@ Goshtac,
    Interesting models you have there, you might want to bevel some of the edges on the base of the antenae, they look rather too sharp to me. That's a really nice rover vehicle. Ah, just read the bit about them being background models – in which case you'll probably get away without beveling.

@ Trish,
    Love the Viking village, it's looking really good, I'd love to see some of the details you mention.
    (Interesting abstracts too, I think I prefer the more subdued one.)

@Jamahoney,
    I hope your power comes back soon. We've had a couple of power cuts, luckily only 1 lasted over night, but we have so many trees down it's a nightmare. One of which Mum had to pay a fortune to have cut down because it was leaning on a British Telecom phone post, cost her £1600 – I think she was done, the guy must have seen her coming, but she just wouldn't get 3 quotes or ask him to leave the wood, I think that's terrible – If we ever need to pay someone to remove any more – it won't be him, that's for sure!
    Ian has bought protective clothing and helmet with ear defenders and face guard and a huge long rope, and we're going to have a go at pulling some of the part down trees over with the 4x4, then he can cut them up with the chain saw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a question for you all, here's Pinto (not a Bryce render yet, but he will be)
    I'm wondering about his glasses, do you prefer the 1st or the 2nd close up?
    I'm just trying out textures.

Pinto is the King's Public Relations Officer, or 'Master Spy' (depending on your point of view) he's a chatty bloke who is interested in people, he's not a gossip though - he doesn't pass things on unless he thinks that'll do some good.
    He went to school with Pea-Tar & they've remained good friends, so Pinto tells Pea-Tar the things he thinks the King should know.
    Pinto is flamboyant in actions and 'dress' although actually he just has glasses and a fancy cane - and occasionally a hat.

PintoGlasses2.jpg
    899 x 856 - 107K
    PintoGlasses1.jpg
    899 x 856 - 113K
    PintoTextured2.jpg
    792 x 831 - 98K
    PintoTextured1.jpg
    792 x 831 - 99K
    edited March 2014

@ Fran;

Hi kiddo

Thanks on the models comments - I agree my Antenna array could use a little more work like the beveling and I thought in a revision I might add some access door up top, ladders to access control boxes up top, etc. But like said, this time it is making only extreme background showing, so I think I got away with some minor detail issues... (Render so far on this current project still going on - anti-aliasing about 24 hours now... But numerous lights involved and soft shadows.. Whew ) Just hoping we don't have a power glitch or my video card goes out to lunch like it does from time to time.

Another adorable creation you have come up with. As to your question, I think both are nice but I personally am leaning toward closeup 2 - Glasses there add a little more contrast to the figure and thereby add more "Character" to the character.. ;-)

Have a good one my friend and I always look forward to your newest cast members.

Bruce

Post edited by Goshtac on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

@goshtac - very nicely made satellite receivers. I see, you decided for a tripod to hold the sub-reflector on the dish. The car is really great.

@Trish - looking nice, the Viking Village.

@mermaid010 - the abstracts came out great.

@franontheedge - thank you. The glasses for Pinto, I think the second is better because the focus on the eyes is better.

edited December 1969

Hi folks;

I promised awhile back to show a few snapshots from home as to weather we had ( I know they aren't renders so please forgive me for sticking them here )

Also the thing I worried about the most occurred tonight - I was at 41% of anti-aliasing my major new render and had gone into DAZ Site for a few mins when my graphics card went out to lunch again. Only way out when this occurs is to shut power switch on computer off as nothing will come up on screen. Thank goodness I had saved my render just mins earlier, so I was able to Resume Render after I had rebooted (Didn't think I could do this as I thought if system crashed the render so far was lost as well - Dodged a bullet on that one as I think I would have cried if I lost all the time rendering this latest project.. ;-)

Snapshots of our winter so far taken a week ago and also grainy photo of my monitor and what it looked like when it crashed. Sent copy to AMD support - maybe they can figure out why my card keeps going goofy (You should see what it does in DAZ Studio )

Bruce

Monitor_1.jpg
    792 x 577 - 269K
    Garage_and_Shed.jpg
    1348 x 557 - 263K
    Winter_In_UP.jpg
    1341 x 575 - 305K
    edited March 2014

Bruce: WOW that is some snow alright!!! Cool...probably should have said cold....That's got to be hard on the roofs up there....
    Fran: I like the last pair of glasses...I think they show up better...here are 2 more renders plus what I got with the Village bundle..+ props...not trying to sell you on it but you asked about it....LOL
    Thanks Horo and Guss and mermaid

vv9.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    props_vv.jpg
    656 x 593 - 246K
    bldg_open2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Bruce: WOW that is some snow alright!!! Cool...probably should have said cold....That's got to be hard on the roofs up there....
    Fran: I like the last pair of glasses...I think they show up better...here are 2 more renders plus what I got with the Village bundle..+ props...not trying to sell you on it but you asked about it....LOL
    Thanks Horo and Guss and mermaid

Yes I was looking at this, not really the sort of thing I go in for rendering, but sheer quantity of stuff you get is impressive!

Off out on a quest today, a worrying adventure half way across the country (which since this is the UK by US standards that's not a very impressive distance) going to pick up a car I won on ebay. Eeek! Goodness knows what I've got myself into. Another Scooby to replace my poor old rusting workhorse. I expect I will be visiting the petrol station at least three times today. Impreza's are not know for their fuel economy. Cheap to buy, not bad to insure, but thirsty beasts.

Anyway, here's some renders of some more materials. Yeah Fran, I think the blur was caused by an unfortunate arrangement of occlusion shadow and specular highlight position (due to light source position), I've looked closely at the render and it is in focus where it should be but from certain distances it does seem out of focus. Weird one that. Anyway, on a similar theme here's some more examples.

tt1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 732K
    r2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 892K
    r1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 871K
    advm2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 841K
    advm1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 877K
    edited March 2014

I too am playing around with the Viking Village. However I discovered a rather strange thing when imposrting an obj created in my older copy of Poser, which apparently Trish doesn't have using DS.

!st image shows the problem House on right is how it imports, house on left is once I have edited the mesh in Bryce to smooth the mesh.

@nd image is the whole village, but the image sort of got trashed :coolsmirk:

However I now have a 2nd problem I isolated the houses one by one and smoothed them and saved in my presets library, However now of course when I load them I get lots of repeats of texture maps, not sure quite how to get over that one. There are actually 16 unique houses

viking_village_3_mono.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 528K
    viking_house.jpg
    900 x 675 - 52K
    edited March 2014

Pam: your final picture of the village is really neat it looks like a photo...very nice job!! no I haven't had any import problems using Darkside to Bryce so far.....Wonder if you can go in pull the texture maps one by one and put them each in a separate folder before saving??? oh course I know nothing about poser....sorry
    David: Congrats on winning a car that is really cool!! I am really liking your new material experiments

Post edited by Trish on
    edited March 2014

Off out on a quest today, a worrying adventure half way across the country (which since this is the UK by US standards that's not a very impressive distance) going to pick up a car I won on ebay. Eeek! Goodness knows what I've got myself into. Another Scooby to replace my poor old rusting workhorse. I expect I will be visiting the petrol station at least three times today. Impreza's are not know for their fuel economy. Cheap to buy, not bad to insure, but thirsty beasts.

I am impressed David. In fact I do not envy you that trip at all. It's the way you say across the country. UK may not be very big by US standards, about the size of an average state in America I believe, but going across is difficult. Most main roads tend to run up and down in your neck of the woods. I remember once trying to go across the country from North Wales to Ludford (near Louth) That was an epic journey, although enlivened by my Mother's reaction when we phoned to say we would be arriving later than scheduled. She asked us where we were at that point in time, so I told her we were in Newcastle. She couldn't understand why we had arrived at Newcastle, not having realised that there are actually 2 Newcastles in the UK and we were in the lesser known one of the 2. LOL

Have fun

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

My latest bit of playing around.
    Aliens Posed and imported from Poser.
    Double Bass imported from Sketchup and re-textured in Bryce.
    Drum kit from 3D Archive (I need to find a better drum kit) re-textured in Bryce.
    Gretsch guitar is the one I customised in Bryce last year.
    Back drop is made from a terrain placed vertically.

Graphics added in Adobe Illustrator.
    Aged poster look added in Photoshop.

The gig is going to be a good one.

AlienBandBig2.jpg
    649 x 1000 - 837K
    edited December 1969

Hi folks;

My latest project and I am glad this is finished... Between crashes, roughly 5 days of render time in standard quality mode. (Longest render I have ever had and it will be awhile before I do something that render intensive again) Lots of fun and probably a new desktop image for me.

Image is " Frontier Outpost " and rendered in Bryce - Some of the set pieces made in HEX and some made with Bryce primitives. Some minor post work done with PSP 9 such as adding the stars.

Only thing I was not totally happy with was the distance between the kneeling astronaut and the device he is supposedly working on. Part of the render was outside of my monitor view and I didn't catch this until way into the project.

Have a great weekend folks and keep on creating!!

Bruce

Frontier_Outpost_1J.jpg
    1565 x 1043 - 806K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I am impressed David. In fact I do not envy you that trip at all. It's the way you say across the country. UK may not be very big by US standards, about the size of an average state in America I believe, but going across is difficult. Most main roads tend to run up and down in your neck of the woods. I remember once trying to go across the country from North Wales to Ludford (near Louth) That was an epic journey, although enlivened by my Mother's reaction when we phoned to say we would be arriving later than scheduled. She asked us where we were at that point in time, so I told her we were in Newcastle. She couldn't understand why we had arrived at Newcastle, not having realised that there are actually 2 Newcastles in the UK and we were in the lesser known one of the 2. LOL

Have fun

Back in one piece. Was an adventure! Took hours... Today, for a bit of a break I did a little video. Might be useful to some. But sadly some evil hum got into the audio part way through. So I'll try and remake it at some point.

Bryce Basics - DS prop material conversions - by David Brinnen

DS_con_m1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 188K
    DS_con_m2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 188K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Just a word of thanks to ALL for replying on my net/storm probs. Hahaaa...trping from a library computer - 30 seconds left til it shuts off.

cya
    jay

This discussion has been closed.