Contest~~ Winners Announced! Because I Said So! ~~ Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 OOPS!

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited January 2020 in Art Studio

This OOPS! contest focuses on expected AND/OR unexpected results due to enthusiasm or enthusiasm gone wrong.  And even if your idea succeeds, there's no guarantee others will share your fondness for the results.  Entries are posted HERE  (no discussion, that goes on this thread only.) 

Winners are in second post!

The voting thread is closed.
To be eligible for gift card prizes, each participant MUST VOTE for 1st- 5th places. Participants may not vote for themselves. All forum members are encouraged to vote. You will pick 5 renders which reflect the spirit of the Oops theme and the statements that were chosen.

Voting will last a week and end Daz Midnight, January 27th. Good luck to all the contestants. 

This contest starts December 26th, 2019, and ends on the 19th of January, midnight DAZ time, (click to see Mountain time clock) which is about a month. There will be a first, second, third, fourth, and fifth place winner. Novica and Worlds Edge are providing the prizes.  First place will be a $15 DAZ Gift Certificate, second place will be a $10 DAZ Gift Certificate, third place will be a $10 DAZ Gift Certificate, 4th place with be an $8 Gift Certificate, and 5th place will be a $5 Gift Certificate. . Anyone who wishes to be a sponsor may also contribute and participate. Please PM me and I'll get it added. 

Update: Worlds Edge is contributing $20 so the gift certificates are now 1st place $20, 2nd place $16, 3rd place $13, 4th place $11, and 5th place $8. 

So how does it work?

Read the statement(s) provided and render one or more humorously.  This contest is about the best rendered, funniest render, all in one. 

You will be able to vote anonymously and determine the winners. Participants must vote to be eligible for prizes.  All registered forum members can vote. The statements you will have to work with are:

"Well, that didn't go as expected." 

"I won't say I told you so..."

"Yep. That's definitely you. ALL YOU." 

"Surprised is putting it mildly." 

"Don't look at me, I didn't do it." 

"Oh, no, I just couldn't. You.... you keep it."

"Wow. There are no words." 

"Thanks, I think I'll pass." 

"Ummm... interesting." 

"No way. You go first." 

"You gotta be kidding me."

"Yeah... agree. I've never seen anything like it." 

"Seemed like a good idea at the time." 

"A for effort. F for result." 

"I...uh...just don't know what to say." 

"In what universe does this seem okay?"

Here are the guidelines. 

1. Maximum 4 entries. No statement can be used more than once. You must be logged in and use your registered account for the forums. (No guest/anonymous entries.)  Deadlines are strictly enforced when receiving entries- no exceptions. Entries must be in the Entries Thread  to compete for the prizes.

2. Images must follow the TOS and both height and width must be at least 400px.  They can be larger. Please embed in the post. You may post the images elsewhere once they have been posted here.  See the bottom of the post for how to embed images. 

3. Put your title on the first line, then the Statement below your title  with your entry #. (Like Entry #1)  See example below.

4. You may put up to 10 lines (NOT SENTENCES) as a story or the dialogue between characters. The emphasis is on the render. 

5. For this contest, you must use a minimum of 3 DAZ products (you can use more)  and they must be linked to their respective product pages. You should try and use most of the product, not a tiny kit-bashed piece.  See the bottom of the post for how to do a link. It would be nice to use one or more of the products of the PAs who were so generous with holiday freebies, but that is NOT a requirement. 

Important: Only list your main 3 products in the first set of links. If you want to list ALL the products you used, list the others as the very last thing on your entry post, with links following the same guidelines. (Not required.) This keeps the posts from getting too bogged down at the top of each entry. So those additional links will go BELOW your render.

6. Postwork is allowed, but the overwhelming impression of the render should be the product on its own merit

7. Your render can be done in other programs such as Bryce, Poser, etc.

8. You may change your entry on the Entry Thread, unless the change a.) takes it in a totally different direction and / or b.)  makes it too much of a copycat of someone else's previous entry. I make that call, and it's final.

Here is an example of an entry:

Title:  PaPa Proliferates Pugsley Puppy Pals        (you come up with your own title)
"In what universe does this seem okay?"             (You choose one of the statements) 

Products:      (you list your top 3, and you should use most of the product, not a tiny piece of it.) 
FG Sciene Lab
Monsters in my Cupboard  
Floyd 8

(Use the size restrictions listed in the guidelines.)

(Note you can only have 10 LINES or less. Not sentences!) 

Pugsley was a Pug.
A very lonely Pug.
Pugsley belonged to Paula.
Paula was sad that Pugsley was lonely.
Pugsley needed puppy pals.
Paula's PaPa promised Paula he would clone Pugsley.
Pugsley would have perfect Pug Pals that looked just like him!
OOPs. 

(Optional- links to other products used. This helps the products be found when shoppers have the Daz Deals add-on, your image shows up in the forum links!) 
Jayla HD (G8F)   
Doctor's Coat and Suit (G2M) used on Gen8 Male
Georgie Hair and Brows (G3M / (G8M) 
Ceejay Bundle (G8M)  
Caleela Hair (G3F / G8F) 
Breezy Day Outfit (G8F)  (Pants)
Cartoon Parrot for Daz Studio (Sir Waddleston)
Snuggles the Toon Bear
Toon Cochroach- Bugsy and the Gang
Baboon Business
3D Universe Toon Crab
Toon Cow
Toon Big5 Buffalo
Toon Big5 Leopard
Toon Big5 Rhino

Use this thread for any questions, comments, works in progress/ask opinions or for assistance with the render or the contest. In other words, have fun. If you really found a product you like while you're using it, chat it up! Yes, PAs may also participate- strut your stuff!

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: (It's easy.) Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post. Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.) Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area (looks like two mountains and a sun) and click it. Paste the URL where it says URL. For width and height, try making the height 600 or less. It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you. Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option so again, they stay on the thread. (If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.)

How To Do A Link:

1. Highlight the text you want to make a clickable link. (Hold down the left mouse and run your cursor over the print.)
2. Click on the link icon (it's that chain-link above this text area) and right click to paste it there where it says URL. "
IMPORTANT: there will be two tabs, Link Info and Target. The URL is in Link Info, so that's easy.
3. What I need you to do is THEN click on the Target tab. Please open the drop down and select  "New Window (_blank) so when people do click on the link you've provided, they don't leave the thread. (Very annoying.)  

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2020

Winners! 

Thank you to everyone who participated, there were certainly a lot of chuckles when viewing the entries. And of course, thanks to those who voted, and to Worlds_Edge as a co-sponsor. Worlds_Edge will be contacting Rich with the gift card code for first place, I will be sending the others out this afternoon. Please contact us directly if for some reason the codes are not functional. :)   Thanks again SO MUCH! 

First Place: $20 Gift Card
    An Artful Dodge  (RGcincy)  
    Statement:  "A for effort, F for result." 

Greg said it was a piece of cake to get the Frisbee off the roof. The others were not so sure. So close! If it wasn't for that darn squirrel chasing an errant acorn, Greg would have rescued the Frisbee for sure! Now who's going to try?

Second Place:  ONLY ONE VOTE BEHIND FIRST PLACE!   $16 Gift Card
    Not splitting it, each will be awarded $16 and will not count as 2nd and 3rd places. :) 

A Heist Gone Very Wrong (luci45)
    "Seemed like a good idea at the time." 

"They're firing at us with some kind of ray guns!"
    "Yeah. I didn't expect the place to be guarded. Just a lot of old useless tech..."
    "This thing looks like a really big bomb. And it's got a blinking red light and some numbers."
    "Don't worry. I think this cart has turbo... What does the blinking light say?"
    "A-R-M-E-D" and the numbers keep changing..."

The Worst Tarzan  (dragonfly_2004) 
    Statement:  "A for effort, F for result."

Third Place:  $13 Gift Card
    "Welcome to the Fun House Piggies!"  (3dcheapskate) 
    Statement: "In what universe does this seem okay?"

Fourth Place:  $11 Gift Card
    "Mister Fluffypaws, or, How I Became A Dog Person."  (LaPartita) 
    Statement:  "You Gotta Be Kidding Me!" 

Fifth Place:  $8 Gift Card  
    The Space Invader  (Mollytabby) 
    Statement: "Well, that didn't go as expected." 

Jake had the fleet all lined up. The universe was in danger and the volunteers were their only line of defence. They were the best of the best.

Then suddenly the Space Fairy attacked, and the first casualty was his second on command. He realised with a sinking heart that there was no weapon in his arsenal that could defeat an enemy of this magnitude.

His only option was diplomacy and negotiation … and he didn’t hold out much hope of success. 

Honorable Mention:  Only 1 vote behind Fifth Place!   $5 Gift Card 
    "You Keep It!"  (Daventaki)
    Statement: "Oh no, I just couldn't. You ... you keep it." 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2019

Update: Worlds Edge is contributing $20 so the gift certificates are now 1st place $20, 2nd place $16, 3rd place $13, 4th place $11, and 5th place $8. 

Here's the Entry Thread (and it's also listed in the first post, when you get ready to post your entry.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2019

This could be fun - I have an idea or two... devil

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

This could be fun - I have an idea or two... devil

Uh oh.  Oh, I mean....great!
    Loved having you in the interactive contest a few years ago.  laugh

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Ohhh! Happy to see this come back. Now I have another reason to get back into rendering again. smiley

@isidorn Ooooh, the fun folks are getting back into action! You and me both so far as getting back into rendering- I am actually going to do a fun one (not an entry) as there's so many opportunities with this concept. 

@dragonfly_2004   That is hilarious!   Love the chimp behind the camera too!

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Thanks, Novica! It's not my best work, but I enjoyed setting it up (NOT! - having two chimps really taxed my PC's resources)

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

The contest starts with quite literally a bang! Now I need to find a way to get the tune of "George, George, George of the jungle" out of my head devil 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

That's funny, Cheetah knows a thing or two.

@3dcheapskate   Nice job on the gigantic sand castle!

Yeah, 3dcheapskate knows that grandpa's RULE!

And we need more entries, people!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

I plan on entering just having trouble coming up with an idea...

edited January 2020
    Daventaki said:

Scroll through your Product Library and ask the question, "What could possibly go wrong with this?"  You may have more than you can possibly use LOL!  I'd start with sets. 

Post edited by Novica on

LOL I love the elegant and graceful entry in the dance studio @dragonfly2004    That sure could have fit a number of statements (Like A for effort....) Appreciate you mentioning the contest in the render thread. :) 

edited January 2020

Thanks Novica smiley I hope there are lots more people submitting entries, as that makes a competition more fun, and you learn more from others people's art! 

Post edited by frankrblow on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited January 2020

dragonfly_2004 - love your first two entries.

Thanks Novica and dragonfly_2004. Grandpa-in-the-picture pointed out that I'd missed one of the main requirements for the contest, because there was not a single DAZ item in the render - but he fixed that for me in a jiffy by creating a sand knight and a sand dragon.

Daventaki said:

If you have any buildings, think overenthusiastic renovation.
    If you have any vehicles, think overenthusiastic upgrade.
    If you have any chainmail bikinis think overenthusiastic overexertion plus metal fatigue... blush...and then try to keep that within the DAZ tos.

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited January 2020

If you still don't have an idea look to the Darwin Awards for inspiration. (Also a book and movie.)

Looks like fun. I hope to come up with something.

Post edited by luci45 on
    luci45 said:

If you still don't have an idea look to the Darwin Awards for inspiration. (Also a book and movie.)

oh, this should be good!  Love to have you participate, yours are always clever!

edited January 2020

@3dcheapskate  I literally laughed out loud just now. Really funny with the piggies!  The wolf's paw over the "S" in "Slaughterhouse" is just downright brilliant.

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    luci45 said:

OMG! There are some interesting stories there!! Might be very useful, Thanks!

@luci45   Hilarious!  Not to mention, lasers being shot at a vehicle with a bomb in it....

Love the lighting on the driver's face too. Everything is lit perfectly!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648

Thanks, Novica. Nothing like an impending disaster theme to inspire bright colorful lighting.

@rgcincy  Ooooh, I'd be standing WAAAAAY back from that concoction to get to the roof! You have quite the combination, my fav is the skateboard! 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

@Novica You're right! Never know what might happen.

I'm really loving the variety we're getting. I've been to a bakery before and they didn't have what I went in for, and it's annoying! And the squirrel is a riot. 

I've posted closeups of my render here, showing some of the critters up close.  Mine is not an entry. 

Talk about OOPS  (Lol)   @nonesuch00  you put your comment on the Entries Only thread, thanks for the compliment though!  :)   Can you remove it? 
    @cismic   You need a minimum of 3 products, if you used a lightset just list that one too and you'll be good to go!  Love the zombies and the phone craze!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited January 2020
    Novica said:

Talk about OOPS  (Lol)   @nonesuch00  you put your comment on the Entries Only thread, thanks for the compliment though!  :)   Can you remove it? 
    @cismic   You need a minimum of 3 products, if you used a lightset just list that one too and you'll be good to go!  Love the zombies and the phone craze!

No, I can only edit the comment to say it's content has been deleted but I can't actually delete the post itself.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Right, just put "Deleted." 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It is not deleted, it is moved to somewhere else