Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• Wrinkles and age go together like pizza and beer

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited January 2020

My opinion is people have gotten used to seeing botox DAZ / unauthenthic Hollywood expressions.

The deeper and very noticable pores certainly do though.

I decided not to review the NYC Brownstones, NYC Stores, Edie 8 Pro Bundle, and Crazy Chef Bundle since I entered that scene finally on my new desktop I built and entered it into your contest.

There are 3 noteworthy things about that render.

a) It is a CPU render and requires in excess of 16 GB system RAM

b) The CPU has 8 cores with 16 threads and I limited iterations for the render to 2000. It actually, for such a FHD scene with so much glass rendered fast; in 2:50 minutes up to 1931 iterations and something I didn't expect: my computer went to sleep, then in the morning I woke it and it finished rendering the remaining 69 iterations in 4 minutes. So DAZ Studio listed the render time as 10 hours and 15 minutes but it actually rendered in about 2 hours and 55 minutes. That's more than twice as fast a CPU render as my old 4 core laptop could do so I'm happy with that.

c) I decided to put all my DIM download product installers, Poser content, and DAZ content library along with Windows 10 Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos all on the same 2 TB HD that the OS & all programs are on. A mistake: because the DAZ & Poser content libraries create so many directory entries for files in the file system of the operating system it really slows down the operating system waiting for directory entries to be found and read of that slow HD. It's better to put data on a separate disk. It's very expensive (for me personally) but I'd recommend putting Windows and all programs on a 2 TB SSD (M.2 NVMe is possible) and all Douments, Pictures, Videos, Music, Poser content, DAZ content on another 2 TB SSD. And then you'd need 2 more 2 TB SSDs to serve as online backups for your OS system SSD and your data SSD. That's expensive. about $800 USD to $1000 USD just for the SSDs alone. The motherboard also has to handle 4 (or more) SSDs.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Reminder- the Because I Said So!  OOPS contest ends January 19th at Daz Midnight. I did one for fun but it took over a week to put together. I'll be showing some of the closeups and giving a few details on tweaks I did. But here it is:

Title:  PaPa Proliferates Pugsley Puppy Pals   
    "In what universe does this seem okay?"   (Answer: 3D Universe)  NOT AN ENTRY

Products:
    FG Sciene Lab
    Monsters in my Cupboard  
    Floyd 8

(Click to enlarge)

Pugsley was a Pug.
    A very lonely Pug.
    Pugsley belonged to Paula.
    Paula was sad that Pugsley was lonely.
    Pugsley needed puppy pals.
    Paula's PaPa promised Paula he would clone Pugsley.
    Pugsley would have perfect Pug Pals that looked just like him!
    OOPs. 

Jayla HD (G8F)   
    Doctor's Coat and Suit (G2M) used on Gen8 Male
    Georgie Hair and Brows (G3M / (G8M) 
    Ceejay Bundle (G8M)  
    Caleela Hair (G3F / G8F) 
    Breezy Day Outfit (G8F)  (Pants)
    Cartoon Parrot for Daz Studio (Sir Waddleston)
    Snuggles the Toon Bear
    Toon Cochroach- Bugsy and the Gang
    Baboon Business
    3D Universe Toon Crab
    Toon Cow
    Toon Big5 Buffalo
    Toon Big5 Leopard
    Toon Big5 Rhino

edited January 2020

First, the render time?  TWENTY MINUTES! 

Next, some of the closeup details. I had so much fun with this! 
    Bugsy offers a helping hand up to a Monster. Good luck with that. The other Monster wants to play with the vials.

At the back of the lab, true love. And a crabby chaperone.

This is my favorite, with the head resting against Floyd's cheek and the toes curled around the shoulder. Maybe he can give Floyd some suggestions on how to clone and get Pugs.

Another couple who are having fun interacting with each other. 

Also, did you note the parrot has his wing around Pugsley? Didn't render that couple, but they're cute.

About the render:
    There are many linear point lights to give a glow on those underneath shelves, and several spotlights. Floyd is looking away from the light, but there happens to be an opening between the upper cabinets and the countertop so I shot a spotlight through there to get Floyd's front / face. 

Here's the original, and the final. You will also see all the postwork where I filled in the glare of the lights, and where I did touchups. Look at the shelves, the floor,  how I added spots to the leopard, fixed Floyd's sleeve, etc. TIP: Then I used Dodge and Burn to lighten or darken targeted areas (such as her hair, jeans, shirt, the buffalo, the bear, etc.)

I also removed the hanging vials that were in the upper left as they didn't add anything to the render. They are by the baboon's face. 
    Prior to all this, I adjusted the light, contrast, midtones, shadows, saturation, and brightness.

Click back and forth and see what a difference postwork INCLUDING DODGE AND BURN can make! 

First, here's the original, and the end result. Compare these two.

Now let's go from the original to when I tweaked,  to tweaked WITH DODGE AND BURN. Click back and forth. I love how that orange chameleon on the left really gets vibrant, and the chameleon by her foot has more color. 

Now Dodge and Burn.

So where are the linear point lights? On Bugsy the Roach helping the monster, on the Water Buffalo, on the rhino in back,  on the monster holding the chameleon's tail, on the baboon. All shelves were hand colored to remove glare. 

rendertime.png
    600 x 306 - 222K
    Monsters FINAL Buds 2.png
    491 x 600 - 386K
    Monsters FINAL Buds.png
    491 x 600 - 512K
    Monsters FINAL Buds 3.png
    491 x 600 - 526K
    Monsters FINAL Buds 4.png
    491 x 600 - 605K
    Monsters.png
    736 x 900 - 1009K
    Monsters FINAL TWEAK DOGDEBURN.png
    818 x 1000 - 2M
    Monsters FINAL TWEAK.png
    818 x 1000 - 2M
    Monsters FINAL TWEAK DOGDEBURN.png
    818 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

@Novica,  PaPa Proliferates Pugsley Puppy Pals is just adorable. Thank you for the glimpse into a wonderful vision.

• @Novica,  PaPa Proliferates Pugsley Puppy Pals is just adorable. Thank you for the glimpse into a wonderful vision.

+1yesyes

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Great render Novica, and I love the little close ups that really show the interactions of the characters.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I was going to say the PaPa images were very cute, but there are some sad looking little critters there and I wondered why... crying

(Great job on these, BTW yes)

edited January 2020

Don't worry, the sad ones will soon find critters of their kind to befriend. :)  They just don't know what's going on and that chameleon doesn't like that it's getting rather crowded LOL. 

I posted additional information (for those who had already read the posts down to here) that tells where the lights were and two images to click back and forth for the Dodge and Burn. So be sure and scroll back and take a peek. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

To cute!!  Love the expression on the cameleon in the bottom left corner.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

@novica that looks like a very fun render to work on!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Wow, fantastic scene Novica!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455

Too cute! So much detail. And love what you did with dodge and burn. Good incentive for me to use them more, seeing the difference! +1 to infinity

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Very clever scene - it's adorable. I like all the interactions going on, I can see why it took a week. Great example of what post-work can do as well. It's a winner in my book!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    RGcincy said:

Very clever scene - it's adorable. I like all the interactions going on, I can see why it took a week. Great example of what post-work can do as well. It's a winner in my book!

+1

I couldn't have said it better, so why try? Simply amazing what you did with all those characters, Floyd, and postwork.

• Really great @novica!  My niece loved it!

• Fabulous image Novica!

Making one for the contest but don't know if I'll be finished in time.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited January 2020

Don't forget to vote for the It's Raining Men 2019 contest : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/378736/voting-thread-now-open

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

Nice DzFire flash sale. I quickly bought a 20% off gift card and used that to snag those wonderful Western weapons at 76% off (since the gift card was 20%)  Also picked up the Wasteland Vehicle Construction Set and the Add-On, I really love having the clean version and the demolished so I could make a story with it. (Yeah, like I'm ever gonna get around to THAT...) 

edited January 2020

Don't forget to vote for the It's Raining Men 2019 contest : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/378736/voting-thread-now-open

Unfortunately, the ones which are not eligible are mixed in with the eligible. Scroll to the BOTTOM first to see which ones you can vote for. I didn't know about any of that until I got to the end. (And yes, posted a suggestion on the discussion thread. She puts a lot into this contest and it takes a lot of time to set things up, so voting should be as optimal as possible.)  You'll need to jot down what numbers you CAN vote for, which is provided at the end of the thread. 

Edit- we're discussing this over on the discussion thread. Someone has said all entries are eligible, and I am trying to find out if they are in a special category, if they are ALSO in the main category and can be voted on.

Post edited by Novica on

So I checked and all entries are eligible for the main category. That last post in the other thread is confusing when it lists categories and says they can't be voted on. It needs to say "But ARE entries in the main category." 

• Yes it is confusing.

I participated so I got all the necessary explanations in the discussion thread. I should have linked to it, sorry.

Is Percy the only character for Floyd? My goodness, Floyd is just so versatile and he's well done!  Regardless, vendors, we need more Floyd characters!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,163
    edited January 2020

There's also Monty, and six morphs for him in Good Guys.

Post edited by Gordig on

Okay, I have all those. Didn't come up in my Floyd search (SIGH) in Product Library. And that changes, which is frustrating. 

Novica said:

Is Percy the only character for Floyd? My goodness, Floyd is just so versatile and he's well done!  Regardless, vendors, we need more Floyd characters!

I think Virtual_Worlds has a very good Floyd addon called Good Guys for Genesis 8 Males. They are very much in the vein of Floyd 8.

There is a big $20 per Genesis 8 Pro Bundle sale, maximum 2. Had it included Floyd, Mabel, Mrs Chou, Mr Woo, Sanjay, Kala, Gabriella and/or Diego I could have went for that, even having to join the PC+ again to do so. Oh well.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,163
    Novica said:

There is a big $20 per Genesis 8 Pro Bundle sale, maximum 2. Had it included Floyd, Mabel, Mrs Chou, Mr Woo, Sanjay, Kala, Gabriella and/or Diego I could have went for that, even having to join the PC+ again to do so. Oh well.

The cutoff date for which bundles were included in that sale is actually earlier than the last pro bundle sale, which is frustrating. I would definitely have bought some more pro bundles last time if there were more to choose from, and even the ones I was thinking about last time aren't eligible this time. I already have Kala and Mr. Woo, but would have jumped on some combination of Mabel, Mrs. Chow, Sanjay, Gabriella and Diego.

Gordig said:
    Novica said:

The cutoff date for which bundles were included in that sale is actually earlier than the last pro bundle sale, which is frustrating. I would definitely have bought some more pro bundles last time if there were more to choose from, and even the ones I was thinking about last time aren't eligible this time. I already have Kala and Mr. Woo, but would have jumped on some combination of Mabel, Mrs. Chow, Sanjay, Gabriella and Diego.

Yes, I know what you mean. I only want Sakura Pro Bundle (I already have her base character) from the current offerings.

Fabulous image Novica!

Making one for the contest but don't know if I'll be finished in time.

oooh, please try! I'd love to see more renders. Reminder folks, deadline is midnight tomorrow night. You still have time to throw something together! 

Am loving the new contest renders! Check them out if you haven't.
    BTW  SASE Ursula is a cool character (Genesis 8 Female.)  Google her, now's a great time. 

Someone just posted that the gift card offer combines with the Free HDRI offer for 36% off a gift card. It does. (But you have to buy that HDRI. You get the other one free, and then buy one of the new releases from the HDRI sale. So it's not THAT easy to get the 36% off, but that's quite a bit off.) 

This discussion has been closed.