RRRR Story render contest *closed*

14567810»

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, join the club. I had SO much trouble with SeaNautica- aka, Ariadne. She would glow snow white until I changed the LIGHTING. I can't remember what SSS it was, there was a 25, 50, 75 option- and I don't have a clue what to do with settings.

Here's a goldmine of information IMO to save you time hopefully- aka HOURS of pulling out hair. (If it works on your character, worked on problematic Ariadne)

What I did find was that some light sets did okay- if you get stuck, try the Angkor Wat and Skull Cove lighting- THOSE WORKED. Put the skin back to what it should be. Then you can add spotlights and distant lights and the skin will remain fine. I posted on my Art Studio thread about this very issue when I had a snow white mime! Also had problems with it in my last render, (which did not cause problems because I knew what I had done for Bistro Miami scene, which was a combination of Skull Cove, Angkor Wat, and fifteen other lights.)

My shading rates are always .10 or .20, so it wasn't that. Can someone give specifics on what to tweak so I don't have to do the fix with lighting?

When I post the SeaNautica thread in the Art Studio section, you'll see the last scene and SeaNautica will again be in it- and with normal skin :) I've been adding spotlights and distant lights and as long as you have the two aforementioned (one, or both) your character may be fine.

edited December 1969

One other fast tip-
    turn off ALL your lights. If your character is glowing, don't bother going any further. You don't even need to spot render, you're going to have a white mime.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    One other fast tip-
    turn off ALL your lights. If your character is glowing, don't bother going any further. You don't even need to spot render, you're going to have a white mime.

Actually, I did that -- deleted all of my lights. (They were Poser lights that got imported with the DMR Moon Cult set, so they pretty much had to go, anyway. I've learned that it's generally not a good idea to leave Poser lights in a DAZ Studio scene; screws with the feng shui, big-time!) Did a quick render, with only the default, flat, DS light..., and sure enough..., Marcel Marceau in really, really bad drag!

But the thing that still has me flummoxed is, why did simply adding Stephanie to the scene cause the whole thing to go foom?

I guess we'll never know.

edited December 1969

Can you test that set with her in it, with the lightsets I recommended? Would be curious.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Can you test that set with her in it, with the lightsets I recommended? Would be curious.

Sure, I can do that. It may take a couple of days (lots of errands to run tomorrow, and quite a few things to scratch off of my 'honey-do' list tonight), but I'm more than a little curious, too.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    One other fast tip-

Actually, I did that -- deleted all of my lights. (They were Poser lights that got imported with the DMR Moon Cult set, so they pretty much had to go, anyway. I've learned that it's generally not a good idea to leave Poser lights in a DAZ Studio scene; screws with the feng shui, big-time!) Did a quick render, with only the default, flat, DS light..., and sure enough..., Marcel Marceau in really, really bad drag!

But the thing that still has me flummoxed is, why did simply adding Stephanie to the scene cause the whole thing to go foom?

I guess we'll never know.

One other thing, related to 'If your character is glowing':

She didn't actually 'glow'; in fact, in its normal mode (what in Poser they call 'Preview' mode, despite the fact that I was not using Poser), she looked perfectly normal; it was only when I rendered that everything went south. And it was only Olympia; the rest of the scene rendered exactly as I would have expected.

Curiouser and curiouser....

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jindi, Novica and Melanie

@ MelanieL Nice story line. I ve been wracking my brain for a sci fi novel i read a million years ago
    about objects falling from the earth into another time/place. but can t even get down to the author....
    zelazny?...chalker?....brin?....norton?

@ken glad to see your story went to completion. will there be a sequel in a future contest?

usually when you get a glow, isn t it the ambient light setting in the material? which should be set to 0
    or a combo of lighting and ambient setting? just a wild eyed guess.

edited December 1969

If I recall, my ambient was black and I know I tweaked around with that and it made no difference. But good guess! :)

edited December 1969

gopherus said:

@ken glad to see your story went to completion. will there be a sequel in a future contest?

Pretty much depends on the Gods of Random, that. And the format of any future contest. I've kept the characters, though (actually, I keep every character I create for any scene, just in case!), so..., never say never! ;-P

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited January 2014

I promised MelanieL that I would post the final installment, even though it's past the entry deadline (and I can't believe I so totally spaced on that!) So this will not go into the entries thread; it's just here to wrap things up.

That having been said, here's the final chapter of...

Ooh Ken, you old softie you! All that and a happy ending -. I'll just have to go get my hankie :) (Hunts for a suitably tearful emoticon but fails to find one) Seriously, thanks for finishing the story, I love it.
    ETA: Meant to say (but hit the button too soon) and I like the twist where they realised they're in a story.
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

@gopherus - thanks. I'm afraid I can't help on the sci fi novel author - I have rarely read any sci fi for years (read John Wyndham and some Arthur C Clarke when I was in my teens, but nothing really since then)

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    I promised MelanieL that I would post the final installment, even though it's past the entry deadline (and I can't believe I so totally spaced on that!) So this will not go into the entries thread; it's just here to wrap things up.

That having been said, here's the final chapter of...

Ooh Ken, you old softie you! All that and a happy ending -. I'll just have to go get my hankie :) (Hunts for a suitably tearful emoticon but fails to find one) Seriously, thanks for finishing the story, I love it.
    ETA: Meant to say (but hit the button too soon) and I like the twist where they realised they're in a story.

Thank you, MelanieL, always happy to oblige.

But I had already written the final installment of the story (I just had to squeeze out the time to get the image put together), and there was no way I was going to just let things hang like that. So....

And as for that final twist.... Well, it was actually my bartender's idea. (Kudos, Shane, they like it!) I tossed in the 'Nick & Nora' bit to let everyone know that, yes, many adventures await our intrepid pair -- at least, everyone who picked up on the reference (probably anyone who has worked enough crossword puzzles to understand the clues to which the word 'ASTA' was the answer ;-) )

And now.... Off to vote. And I am definitely not looking forward to it. (I hate making decisions, and the tougher the decisions, the more I hate making them! And this decision is going to be very tough, indeed!)