RRRR Story render contest *closed*

TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
edited January 2014 in The Commons

RRRR Story render contest.

This time I've decided, thanks to great input and ideas from barbult, to make the RRRR a little different. New players, read the rules, old players, do the same, as this is not only a little different, but very different from the past RRRR contests.

Rules of RRRR Story render contest

Who can play?

Anyone can play!

How do you prepare yourself for play?

The rules are very simple, but first you need to have all your items in some kind of order in a text file, dumped from the itemized history into a text file or a spread sheet. Remove things like software, gift certs, and special plugins from the list.
Then you use a randomizer to randomly pick items from your list (your Runtime/My Library) for your start pull . You can use items from any store.

Randomizer that works well:
Random Org

Randomizer where you get all numbers in one draw: random

There are some situations where you allowed to redraw, these are:

- You picked something that doesn’t work, broken thing, only works in a version / software not used etc etc.

- You picked a software or add-on to a software or anything you should have filtered out from the list.

Bundles
If you pull a bundle, use two three complete items from it, or more if you like, but you do not need to use all, but only picking a hairpin from V4 Complete Bundle is “too little”. Clarification: A bundle still counts as only one pulled item.

Lucky bastards
As this is a new concept, lucky bastards are extra lucky as there will be no penalty for them this time.

How this round is played
You pull eight items, yes, you heard me, eight items. But the usage of these items are a little special, as you are now supposed to create a story with three images and a story to go with them. You have to use every pulled item at least once, in any of the three images, and you have to use at least two pulled items in any single image. I say it again, Every items has to be used, no less than two items in any of the three images.

Contest duration!

It stats now, and will go on until Sunday January 12, 2014 at 23:59:59 DAZ time.

Limitations
Yes, there are limits, you can only enter four stories (I thought of Luci and Ken, I didnt want to make them feel restless after new year).

All renders and stories must be TOS compliant.

This months sponsors so far:
Totte with an item for each of the winners plus $10 in DAZ GC to the prize pot.
Novica is sponsoring with $18 in DAZ GC.
Jaderail is sponsoring with $20 in DAZ GC.
Ken OBanion is sponsoring with $50 in DAZ GC.
Jack Tomalin has offered an item from his store as a prize, excluding new items.

Any sponsors are welcome to add to the prize pool, just PM me.

Post story entries here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/

Happy storytelling!

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Story pull #1

#143 Desert Soldier Poses
    #352 Lisa's Botanicals - Hibiscus
    #934 Automatic Teller Machine
    #2012 Hongyu's CowGirl 3 for V4/Elite (Rendo)
    #2324 Light The Way
    #2940 Pred Pack - Olive Trees
    #3522 StarMan
    #3844 The Wrangler

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 2013

Totte said:
    How this round is played
    You pull eight items, yes, you heard me, eight items. But the usage of these items are a little special, as you are now supposed to create a story with three images and a story to go with them. You have to use every pulled item at least once, in any of the three images, and you have to use at least two pulled items in any single image. I say it again, Every items has to be used, no less than two items in any of the three images.

Wow, that's a bit fiendish! I just hope I can give this enough time this month to get through at least 3 renders! But first I'll need to completely rebuild my list as I bought so much new stuff ( :red: ) in the PA and PC and Black November sales and haven't even been able to download them all yet (small monthly data allowance) But I'm looking forward to this, really I am. Thanks, Totte, for being willing to go through all the effort and admin yet again - this is my favourite contest on the site I think :)
    PS: You've got a bit of confusing text in the instructions in Post #1 - the "How do you prepare..." still talks about 5 entries and 1 carry-forward item being used.
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

LL, Totte, thanks for not wanting to make Ken and I "feel restless after new year." I see you have a really nice pull. So do I, with five sets! Agggghhhh! ( I guess the Gods of Random are collecting - a pulled very few sets for the summer marathon.)

Dream Home - Eclectic Master Bathroom Decor
    FaceWeight For Genesis
    Hither and Thither
    Redhouse Christmas Carol
    Slacking for Casual Jeans and T-Shirt
    Victoria 3.0 Head Morph Pack
    West Park Ward
    Willow Spring

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Totte, I'll help sponsor again but I need to know how many prize winners there are going to be so I can donate an amount that works out. Is it going to be 3 for funniest, 3 for best render/ best story?

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Totte said:
    How this round is played

Wow, that's a bit fiendish! I just hope I can give this enough time this month to get through at least 3 renders! But first I'll need to completely rebuild my list as I bought so much new stuff ( :red: ) in the PA and PC and Black November sales and haven't even been able to download them all yet (small monthly data allowance) But I'm looking forward to this, really I am. Thanks, Totte, for being willing to go through all the effort and admin yet again - this is my favourite contest on the site I think :)
    PS: You've got a bit of confusing text in the instructions in Post #1 - the "How do you prepare..." still talks about 5 entries and 1 carry-forward item being used.

Thanks for pointing that out ;-) I'm always too busy when posting and I snatched some of the text from the other posts and thought I had edited way everything not fitting.

And thanks for thinking RRRR is great, I really think it's a contest where creativity is nursed, not only artistic skills, but the full suite of creativity as you need to use what the gods of random toss at you, and the solutions found here are so clever.

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    LL, Totte, thanks for not wanting to make Ken and I "feel restless after new year." I see you have a really nice pull. So do I, with five sets! Agggghhhh! ( I guess the Gods of Random are collecting - a pulled very few sets for the summer marathon.)

Dream Home - Eclectic Master Bathroom Decor
    FaceWeight For Genesis
    Hither and Thither
    Redhouse Christmas Carol
    Slacking for Casual Jeans and T-Shirt
    Victoria 3.0 Head Morph Pack
    West Park Ward
    Willow Spring

This will be fun to watch! Did you see I pulled my mostly pulled item again, "The Wrangler", I think its been pulled 7 times in my pulls over the years.

edited December 2013

Goodness, I have generations 4, 5, and Gen 2.

317: At Home Poses For M5 & V5
    429: Bistro Miami
    1444: Fern Lea Cottage
    1986: Jet Bike Add On Textures (Will use Jet Bike, obviously)
    2172: Lily for V4/A4
    3812: Summer Trees By Merlin
    3943: The Bookcase Collection
    4398: Victoria Maid for Genesis 2 Females

Post edited by Novica on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well well well, the RRRR not only fell right into my style of rendering. Story telling I really enjoy. But my pull's told me the story as I wrote them down. The list of pulls...

#196 Casual Jeans and T-Shirt for Genesis Female
    #819 Lisa's Botanicals - Signs of Spring
    #654 Greatswords
    #230 City Ruins : Vehicles
    #1631 Victoria 6 HD
    #589 Garden Escape Bridge
    #280 Country Intrigue Poses DS
    #772 Last Gladiator for M4 and F4

That Speaks to me, to you soon also I believe.

edited December 1969

Yeah, it looks like you get some different generations too!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

OK, I'm going to dip my toe in the waters of RRR this month. I enjoyed looking through last month's renders and voting, so thought I'd give it a go myself. :)

Here's my pick:
    #126 One Thousand and Two Nights
    #99 Cotton Candy for the Carousel (this actually came up in 2 picks so I redrew the second time)
    #122 The Conservatory
    #45 Pyrit Hair (Genesis 1)
    #284 Mitsu Hair for Aiko 3
    #110 The Shelter
    #137 Deco Bed 1
    #196 Pred Pack Poppies

edited December 1969

Welcome Jindi- so glad you decided to try it! :)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Welcome Jindi- so glad you decided to try it! :)

Same here, glad you join in!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks Novica and Totte. My pick is not yet speaking to me... but believe me I'm listening if it decides to! ;)

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

Welcome Tarina, I'm glad you decided to join us!

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Love the concept for this one! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Here's my first pull:

375 Reflect Me
    379 English Saddle
    489 Ethnicity for Genesis - Native American
    589 Tori for V5
    131 Moroccan Dreams M4
    357 DVDs and Stand
    216 Lune Portail
    187 Tiki Island

I had to redraw three items because my initial draw included:
    576 V4 Bodysuit Unimesh Fits (can't use this as I don't own the bodysuit itself)
    423 Install Manager Mac (doubly useless, as it's not render-able and I don't have a Mac)
    379 English Saddle (drew this twice)

No clear ideas for what to do with them yet, but it seems like an interesting, eclectic mix...

edited December 2013

It's a shame we all can't render one together lol- we'd have a room setup.

Scott-L DVD's and Stand
    Tarina- Accent Tables
    Jindi- Deco Bed 1 (that's the same one I drew- where Morgan is standing in front of it in the jellyfish scene. It lights beautifully btw)
    Novica- Bookcase Collection

EDIT: And Jaderail would have to take care of the outside with his Lisa stuff. Luci45 can join us indoors with the bathroom stuff!

Post edited by Novica on
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Here is my first pull:

The Bone Dragon
    Serengeti
    Panthers
    Mon Chevalier Hair
    M3 Long Beard
    Avaris for G4
    Expression for Teen Josie
    V4 Fairy Gown

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

OK so I have a newly organised and stabilised product list to pull from (and haven't bought anything for nearly 24 hours).
    My first pull is:

1383 = Conservatory
    180 = Royal Carriages for Millennium Horse
    852 = GIS Project
    1414 = The Study Expansion Pack
    587 = Alruna
    165 = Merman
    1429 = Tarnished and Polished Shaders
    1118 = Forever Fantasy Poses

Quite a reasonable assortment actually, but oh yes that annoying Merman is back yet again (I think he's been pulled in every RRRR I've taken part in)

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Haven't tried one of these in a while. A mixture of fantasy and not-so-fantasy here. I think I used the Garden Escape Well in a previous RRR.

1258 Fairytale Prince for M4 and H4
    319 Dragon's Tower
    49 Genesis 2 Male Body Morphs
    385 Parkside Tube Station
    767 Garden Escape Well
    701 Iolanthe Dress
    104 Real Light HDR Gels - Bulbs
    648 Starship crew for MOS Invasion

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

This could be very interesting...now to pick which direction to go.

642 Ron's Artistic Edges
    819 Udane Hair
    393 Jepe's CosmicZ
    30 3DC the Streets 5 (free dumpster from ShareCG)
    200 DM Talca
    168 Dauntless
    841 Victoria 4 Equestrian
    666 Sampan

Now I just need to figure out if I am going silly, serious, or something in between...

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Oh, yeah, I'm in!

And here's my first pull:
    1836 - Tales of Adventure for Stephanie Petite
    857 - Happy Camper for V4
    1386 - Nuit Blanches
    295 - Chiko Hair
    502 - Dragon Hoard and Sacrificial Altar
    335 - Complex Global Lighting Pack 1 (Guess I'm doing this one in DS!)
    848 - Hall of Lore-Naz
    442 - Decorated Rooms

An interesting mix. It would be even more interesting if I could remember when (and why!) I picked up all this stuff in the first place!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

Totte said:
    How this round is played
    Popped in to check that I have this one right, 8 pulls, got it, three renders, cool with that. This is were I need to be sure, we must use 2 of the pulled items in each render not the SAME 2 but any 2 of the 8? Correct? As long as all 8 get used. Just checking as I set up scenes.

Looks like we got a great set of people in here already. Cool. Luck to all.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...so you can use the same item in more than one scene as well, correct?

This is going to be tough as I'm one who is not as prolific with rendering as others here. Good we have into January for this one.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...OK here goes:

Pull #1

#43: Aikanaro
    #351: DruscillaGoth (Rendo)
    #766: Maximum Destruction
    #927: Parkside West
    #1007: Razor Rider Hotel Reception (Rendo)
    #1058: Roxana Yaroslavna, Vampire Lady For Genesis
    #1185: Starship Stingray
    #1336: Tin Pan Alley

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Totte said:
    How this round is played
    Popped in to check that I have this one right, 8 pulls, got it, three renders, cool with that. This is were I need to be sure, we must use 2 of the pulled items in each render not the SAME 2 but any 2 of the 8? Correct? As long as all 8 get used. Just checking as I set up scenes.

Looks like we got a great set of people in here already. Cool. Luck to all.

Any mix of pulled items in any of the three images but all items has to be used at least once, and at least two in every render.
    Clear enough?

edited December 1969

That part I am good on. Now for the other considerations which have to be determined NOW-

The judging and the labeling.
    If it takes 3 renders to make a story:

Do we come up with one title for the story (as that's what a story is, for example a book has one title) and just label it (title #1 for first render, title #2 for the second, and Title #3- then for voting, only the one title would be provided? In other words, we are not voting on each render, we are voting on ONE STORY- right?

Example, if my story is entitled "Black Friday" my renders would be Black Friday #1, Black Friday #2, and Black Friday #3, but in the voting thread it would just be "Black Friday by Novica"

In other words, it's the overall story, not just each render?

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 2013

also adding to the above question...

will we place all 3 images into the same submission box so they are all together
    and this time will we also include the story with the three images along with the usual title and id tag (edit - I mean in the actual contest submission thread not the comments thread)

Post edited by zawarkal on
    edited December 1969

Kudos to Ken- donating $50- very generous of you dude! :)