Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited October 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60!

Highlights:

See the highlights thread here for details.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Previous Public Build (Beta) Threads:

• 4.11.0.383 (June 12, 2019)
    • 4.11.0.382 (June 3, 2019)
    • 4.11.0.380 (May 29, 2019)
    • 4.11.0.366 (May 14, 2019)

General Release Threads:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178

Has the NVIDIA Iray renderer been updated?

Yes, it has. See the Daz Studio Pro 4.12 -  NVIDIA Iray thread for details.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Hm. I'm not able to save.

At least, I can't save a previously created scene. It gets to saving at 99%, then crashes with this error:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:000000001AEDE480, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)

Seems related to the IK chain, but I didn't create one in this scene.

• olesehenolesehen Posts: 15

At least, I can't save a previously created scene. It gets to saving at 99%, then crashes with this error:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:000000001AEDE480, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)

same here :(

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890

I'm not seeing it on my machine.

Did you open an already-created scene in 4.12?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890

Did you open an already-created scene in 4.12?

Yes, which were created in 4.11

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

Whoa, did you fix parameter favorites getting saved with scene files? Timeline also looks great, this is an excellent update.

• saphirxsaphirx Posts: 7

Same thing occurs on my end, if I try to save a scene made before 4.12 (ones saved with 4.11)

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

I'm not having any problems saving scenes created in 4.11, either as new files or overwriting them.  Strange.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165

This is a VERY promising update for anyone with an interest in character animation! Just one question: Is there a way to make IK nodes visible & selectable in the viewport so they don't have to be selected in the scene pane?

Silly question: My installation is on the D drive.

What about everyone else having this issue?

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    saphirx said:

Same thing occurs on my end, if I try to save a scene made before 4.12 (ones saved with 4.11)

Same.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited July 2019

Exciting!! New Beta!

Took it for a little test drive.
    Thankfully, no issues opening old 4.11 files and re-saving.  Have a custom separate hard-drive install.

This render at 1920x2160px took pretty much exactly half the time at 7 minutes instead of 14 minutes with 4.11.382 (or 2x the performance on an RTX 2080ti).  So that's great!

Am assuming that "% Converged" is the proper way to compare as opposed to number of iterations?  Not sure after reading some notes earlier about Deep Learning on/off and not being able to find the setting.
    In this render is April's DF Lea Hair (sbh).

But there seemed to be an issue with loading an old save with the customized DF Lea Hair.
    When i loaded the old file (made in 4.11) into new 4.12, the memory footprint was supposedly 17.5GB (acc to WinTaskMgr), and it resulted in parts of the body mesh not being rendered in either the iray preview port and the actual render.  Had that before in 4.11 and closing DS and reopening fixed it.  Not so in 4.12.  Tried several times, including lowering hair densitys and so on.  Didn't make a big enough difference.
    So made one click dufs (save as material) for each of the 4 hair layers saving my own custom settings for finer hair, different dforce settings and different color.
    Opened a new session of DS, and loaded the character without any hair, added Aprils default Lea Hair and added the 4 one click dufs to each respective layer.
    Now it loads at 7.8GB instead of 17.5GB, and renders properly.  

Where I was hoping to see bigger gains in performance (more complex scenes), there was some some gain, but nowhere near double.  Am very grateful for any performance gain.  But wondering if something is still coming for more complex scenes?
    Specifically,
    one scene with 2 decked out characters, a stage, and panels with mirrors, HDRI, and other lights, and goal of 92% Converged, 4.12 rendered at 31.5 minutes and 4.11.0.382 rendered that in 34 minutes with about same iterations.
    another scene with same setup, except a heavier enclosed environement instead of stage with panel, with goal of 80% Converged, 4.12 rendered in 23 minutes vs 29 minutes for 4.11.
    Sorry can't share those images to show setup, as they won't sync with Daz Image TOS. (Just what I happened to have final render output settings for).

Also looking forward to testing the new IK solvers for posing.

New 4.12__DF Lea Hair_7min 15 seconds 28.85%Conv 771its.jpg
    1920 x 2160 - 554K
    Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    Am assuming that "% Converged" is the proper way to compare as opposed to number of iterations? .. Also looking forward to testing the new IK solvers for posing.

AFAIK the new ik solvers are for animation that's a long time requested feature. I assume for posing nothing changes. As for convergence it depends on your needs. For high-quality pictures a good convergence without the denoiser is a good way to go. For animation a fixed number of iterations with the denoiser as a final step is a good way to go.

Padone said:

AFAIK the new ik solvers are for animation that's a long time requested feature. I assume for posing nothing changes.

Was the handy pinning there before with one click of spacebar (after select bone)?    Sure works awesome! heart

Also, just to test it real quick grabbed a finger, which dragged the hand, and all the other bones in the arm and started to re-pose it . Then Did it with another scene I had issues where legs flipped out.  And it was very stable and predictable.  Maybe I am just having a really good day lol, but the result looks alot better.  Like alot.

Will admit i ended up in previous versions clicking the bone I needed and adjust the parameters, like slide the bend or twist.

But after the last 15 minutes of playing around, am thrilled with how posing is working for me now.  It seems even more stable.  But maybe I missed this before.  And with me thinking there is an IK solver working here, that I approached it different.  All can say, is my posing just now in Daz Studio just improved more than my RTX rendering with 4.12 lol.  This update one way or another was very good to me.  Thanks Daz!

Padone said:

As for convergence it depends on your needs. For high-quality pictures a good convergence without the denoiser is a good way to go. For animation a fixed number of iterations with the denoiser as a final step is a good way to go.

In this case or context, cos I had shown 7minute (4.12) vs 14 minute (4.11) as a result, what I meant is when comparing times from 4.12 to 4.11, would % Converged be the best and most reliable indicator when comparing?

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I still have the problem when the first render is blank (cherkerbox), second renders (have a ticket open for it). Haven't tried saving a previously saved scene yet, was just testing printing. I downgraded my 4.11 General Release to 4.10 and it renders first time, every time - so this 'feature' has stayed from 4.11 Gen Release and Beta into 4.12 Beta and I wonder if it contribute to scenes dropping to CPU when they don't in 4.10.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I need to get something clear in my mind because I don't have my PC here to test the new features. Are the new IK features intended to replace the Active Pose tool or do they work in conjunction with it or is it either/or? I ask because of the new pinning features, one of which is space-bar toggle which was always the case when using Active Pose.

edited July 2019

Sorry ... duplicated post

Post edited by marble on
  • Padone said:
    Am assuming that "% Converged" is the proper way to compare as opposed to number of iterations? .. Also looking forward to testing the new IK solvers for posing.

AFAIK the new ik solvers are for animation that's a long time requested feature. I assume for posing nothing changes. As for convergence it depends on your needs. For high-quality pictures a good convergence without the denoiser is a good way to go. For animation a fixed number of iterations with the denoiser as a final step is a good way to go.

IK can be useful for regular posing too (though I always seem to create a mess).

edited July 2019

IK can be useful for regular posing too (though I always seem to create a mess).

Yes but ik for posing was already there from 4.5 with the active pose tool. What I mean is that the new solver in 4.12 can be used for animation that's a new feature. The ik handles persist in the timeline, so they're "full-time" ik. As opposed to the previous active pose ik that was only available as a aid for posing, it didn't persist in the timeline, so it was "part-time" ik.

Post edited by Padone on
    edited July 2019
    marble said:

Are the new IK features intended to replace the Active Pose tool or do they work in conjunction with it.

If I understand correctly the new ik features are intended to be used in conjunction with the active pose tool. This is also how things work in any professional animation software. You use the animation ik (new features) to place ik handles for animation such as hands and feet. When you move the ik handles in the timeline the ik chains will follow. Then you can use the active pose tool to pose fk chains in a given keyframe, an example may be a tail or something.

The difference is that ik for animation (timeline persistent) defines a target the chain has to stick to, so for example a foot will not move during animation if the ik handle doesn't move, and it will move if the ik handle does. While ik for posing (active pose) will only help you to pose the fk chain, but then there's nothing keeping the chain from moving among keyframes, so for example feet shifting may happen because of keyframes interpolation.

Post edited by Padone on
  • I loaded a scene in 4.12 made with 4.11. I notice that no lights (spot and distance) was loaded in 4.12. Works ok when loaded in 4.11. Anyone else have this issue? 

BR // Daniel

edited July 2019
    Padone said:

What I mean is that the new solver in 4.12 can be used for animation that's a new feature.

Your original comment was about if the new IK solver also impacts posing.  Unless Rob or another "DAZ person in the know" comes along and says there is absolutely no impact by, then will continue to lean towards that the IK solver does indeed influence posing as well.  Or even hearing from someone who has done alot of posing (I'm not there yet in my workflow setup yet that I worked alot with it to insta see the difference and say with 100% certainty).

And yes, do agree it is important to underline IK is improved for animation. 

Felt the same before.  Was why used the parameter sliders before after selecting bone.  After last nites play time in 4.12 with posing, testing some delicate poses, I think I can say now that I will be able to pose over 90% with IK workflow (grab finger etc) & the quick pinning.  And only 10% of time will need to get more precise with select bone and use parameter sliders.  Again, maybe I just had an ephiphany moment last nite how to do to it.  But somehow am leaning towards there are some changes in the IK solver.  So hopefully Rob chimes in and can stop speculating.  Either way for me, posing in DS 4.12 using IK with quick pinning is fun and efficient.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Wow...just loaded up 2 different scenes back to back and they loaded very quick compared to any previous version of Daz I have run...I am just starting to render one but I am definately impressed with the scene loading time in this Beta version.

Padone said:
    marble said:

Are the new IK features intended to replace the Active Pose tool or do they work in conjunction with it.

If I understand correctly the new ik features are intended to be used in conjunction with the active pose tool. This is also how things work in any professional animation software. You use the animation ik (new features) to place ik handles for animation such as hands and feet. When you move the ik handles in the timeline the ik chains will follow. Then you can use the active pose tool to pose fk chains in a given keyframe, an example may be a tail or something.

The difference is that ik for animation (timeline persistent) defines a target the chain has to stick to, so for example a foot will not move during animation if the ik handle doesn't move, and it will move if the ik handle does. While ik for posing (active pose) will only help you to pose the fk chain, but then there's nothing keeping the chain from moving among keyframes, so for example feet shifting may happen because of keyframes interpolation.

Thanks again. I think I understand most of that but I'm still a bit in the dark about the difference between the pin system that came with Active Pose, the pins that were available with the viewport universal tool and the new pin system mentioned in the Beta Highlights. 

Also, I think I'm right in saying that Active Pose automatically moved anything that wasn't pinned (and sometimes moved the pinned bones too, unfortunately). So I guess that's the advantage of the new improvements in that chain length can be specified and bones not involved in the chain will remain unaffected? Apologies if my terminology is all wrong - I hope some of it made sense.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2019

After reading people were having issues saving files created in 4.11, I ran a few tests of my own. I had 4.11 beta installed on my c-drive, but with this install, allowed DIM to install 4.12 on the e-drive, where I have my released versions installed. (I saved copies of all test files before doing any of this.)

• I loaded the scene I'm currently working on and tried to save it, Ctrl+s, without making any changes. DS crashed.
    • I loaded the same scene and attempted to Save As with a  new name. DS crashed.
    • I loaded the same scene into 4.10 and saved, (adding 410 to the filename to distinguish it from one save with 4.11), I then loaded the 4.10 saved scene into 4.12 and tried to save it as filename-412.duf. DS crashed.
    • I loaded a different scene into 4.12, one with LAMH. I then attempted to save as filename-412.duf. DS saved the file, and did not crash.

Both scene files I tested use the 3Delight engine. The scene that repeatedly crashed DS 4.12 beta included a dForce item. The scene that did not crash 4.12 did not include a dForce item.

My questions to people reporting the crash are:

1. Did the scene that crashed DS when saving include a dForce item?
    2. Have you tried loading and saving a scene created in 4.10/4.11 that does not include a dForce item? If so, did it crash the beta?
    3. Is the DS Beta installed on your C-Drive? (Edited to add.)

I did not check the lights, as I hadn't read that far. I'll check those now.

Wow...just loaded up 2 different scenes back to back and they loaded very quick compared to any previous version of Daz I have run...I am just starting to render one but I am definately impressed with the scene loading time in this Beta version.

There are two human figures in the file that crashes, and four animals in the file that didn't. I did not see any appreciable difference in the time it took to load either file. I'll have to test a file that does not include such complex, rigged figures and see if those load faster. (I'll take all the speed improvements I can get my hands on! lol)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • After reading people were having issues saving files created in 4.11, I ran a few tests of my own. I had 4.11 beta installed on my c-drive, but with this install, allowed DIM to install 4.12 on the e-drive, where I have my released versions installed. (I saved copies of all test files before doing any of this.)

• I loaded the scene I'm currently working on and tried to save it, Ctrl+s, without making any changes. DS crashed.
    • I loaded the same scene and attempted to Save As with a  new name. DS crashed.
    • I loaded the same scene into 4.10 and saved, (adding 410 to the filename to distinguish it from one save with 4.11), I then loaded the 4.10 saved scene into 4.12 and tried to save it as filename-412.duf. DS crashed.
    • I loaded a different scene into 4.12, one with LAMH. I then attempted to save as filename-412.duf. DS saved the file, and did not crash.

Both scene files I tested use the 3Delight engine. The scene that repeatedly crashed DS 4.12 beta included a dForce item. The scene that did not crash 4.12 did not include a dForce item.

My questions to people reporting the crash are:

1. Did the scene that crashed DS when saving include a dForce item?
    2. Have you tried loading and saving a scene created in 4.10/4.11 that does not include a dForce item? If so, did it crash the beta?

Yes and Yes. I too didn't notice any significant increases in performance. Because of the crashing, i actually uninstalled 4.12 and went back to 4.11. I only upgraded because of my base model Genesis 8 Male was coming in with 3 different full body male shapings cranked to 100% (Michael, james, Alistair). That wasn't the case- the base model got borked somehow, with me fixing it.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited July 2019

Best Beta version I ever used. great work guys .

one question . in previous version of daz I could create a custom action and add scripts as a top winow options. I can't remeber how i add that,  can I add that to daz 12 bet?a its a quick go to for my scripts.

if so How?

Capture.JPG
    505 x 240 - 23K
    2.jpg
    683 x 174 - 26K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2019
    Ivy said:

one question . in previous version of daz I could create a custom action and add scripts as a top winow options. I can't remeber how i add that,  can I add that to daz 12 bet?a its a quick go to for my scripts.

if so How?

Right-click on the preset you want to use.

Select Add Custom Action…

There will be a popup dialog that let's you select between custom menus, like Scripts. (Not sure why your install doesn't show Scripts, even empty. And I don't know if that will cause you trouble.)

Your new Custom Action will go into Scripts by default, but if you have created other menus, (I created Favorites along with Scripts,) you can choose which of the menus to use.

There is also a text field where you can add a sub-folder to the selected menu. If you leave it blank, the new action goes into the top level of the selected menu. Add a name for your sub-folder, with or without the leading slash, "/", and a subfolder will be created with your new action.

You can also nest folders by using slashes between folder names: /something/else/again

RGcincy has a great mini-tutorial on this in his dForce thread here. It's specific to adding a dForce menu, but it shows how to get menus with exactly what you want, with items in the order you want them in.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    L'Adair said:
    Ivy said:

if so How?

Right-click on the preset you want to use.

Select Add Custom Action…

There will be a popup dialog that let's you select between custom menus, like Scripts. (Not sure why your install doesn't show Scripts, even empty. And I don't know if that will cause you trouble.)

Your new Custom Action will go into Scripts by default, but if you have created other menus, (I created Favorites along with Scripts,) you can choose which of the menus to use.

There is also a text field where you can add a sub-folder to the selected menu. If you leave it blank, the new action goes into the top level of the selected menu. Add a name for your sub-folder, with or without the leading slash, "/", and a subfolder will be created with your new action.

You can also nest folders by using slashes between folder names: /something/else/again

RGcincy has a great mini-tutorial on this in his dForce thread here. It's specific to adding a dForce menu, but it shows how to get menus with exactly what you want, with items in the order you want them in.

Thank you very much that was the ticket . I knew I had done it before but could not remember how i did it its been a while. once i created the custom action on the first script it put the script option on the windows menu  . thank you very much L'Adair for you help