Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Jonstark said:
    Sorry Frank, my wording was awkward and unclear, my fault you misunderstood.

I was saying that outside of the Carrara forum itself (where it's fairly prominent, as one would expect) there's not a ton of promo in the Marketplace, it seems to have 'slipped down the page' and become buried (yesterday's news) fairly quickly.

I'm glad I started becoming a more frequent user of the forums again, else I might very well have missed it (especially since the upgrade discount is only 2 weeks long).

It does still feature in the rolling banner at the top of the store home page, the new releases page.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

It does still feature in the rolling banner at the top of the store home page, the new releases page.

That's true, but it's not 1st in the order, it's toward the back of the line.

I'm not complaining or anything, it just seems a little odd. I guess maybe a .5 release doesn't merit as much hoopla? And I know we're going into the PA sale, which is always a big thing this time of year, but now that Carrara is finally Genesis friendly, and with Daz being so big on content, seems like they might want to make a bigger splash.

On the other hand, I guess most Carrara users are probably already aware, just from the forums, and I have seen many threads from people who have never used Carrara before showing interest on what it can do (short answer everything) and whether it is worth purchasing, so apparently the message is getting out and who am I to judge :)

• TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited September 2013

Deleted

Post edited by Tigrestripe on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

When I asked for known Carrara 8.5 issues, I was referred to the ReadMe file, so I thought that I'm not seeing it because I haven't installed the latest program yet. I did install it just now, and I still see no ReadMe file. Is it hiding in some special directory and I have to fish it out? Or is it a document online? And if it is, may I get a direct link to it? (the one that will point to the list of known issues, please!)

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited August 2013

It's in my Mac program folder, called "CarraraReadMe.html" - it references a non-existent pic, but it's there.

It's the stuff in the very first post in this thread, the list of additions to version 8.0, a link to the documentation center, and...

try.jpg
    782 x 377 - 126K
    Post edited by CarltonMartin on
    edited December 1969

It's in my Mac program folder, called "CarraraReadMe.html" - it references a non-existent pic, but it's there.

It's the stuff in the very first post in this thread, the list of additions to version 8.0, a link to the documentation center, and...

Ah, thank you! The installation referred me to the online documentation center, and when I was searching my drive, I was looking for a wrong sub-string and bypassing this file. Thank you very much for posting it!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Nope... Doesn't work. At least not in the Mac Version.
    Either way, you end up in the Modeling Room.

notes.png
    769 x 172 - 100K
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Nope... Doesn't work. At least not in the Mac Version.
    Either way, you end up in the Modeling Room.

On windows it doesn't work that way either. But you can still do it, it just takes a few extra clicks: add vertex object (goes to modelling room), click on assembly room icon (switches back, but in assembly mode, but with vertex object still selected), click on the icon for editing in assembly (switches to editing mode within assembly room)...

• ghaylin_047405afe7ghaylin_047405afe7 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

Disisme said:
    Again, thank-you, thank-you, and thank-you for the information given so far. I am sure it will help me learn

That is payment to me. My goal in life is to place Carrara Pro firmly in a nice seat, considered amongst the top-class CG software solutions in the world - a seat which I feel, because of the fact that no other single application can perform everything that it can, is well deserved already. So the more happy users we get using this amazing machine, the more art will get generated for the world to see. And that's a good thing - always.

Thank-you Dartanbeck for all the links and the help. I have been watching so many videos I think my eyes are going to bleed. Just watched them through and saved them in a favorites file. Got the VDownloader so I could save them to disc (nice free program for downloading but only works with youtube videos) and watch them while I work in the programs. I have not waisted one link, went to everyone and saved locations so I could go back and learn.

I really do greatly appreciate the time and the help, hope someday in the future I can repay it by being able to help others. Back to work for now, no rest till I learn it all ;)

• edited December 1969

Hi!

A quick question, does Genesis work as smoth in Carrara 8.5 as I guess it does in the lates Daz Studio?

I dont use Studio but im willing to uprade my carrara if so is the case.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Jonnybode said:
    Hi!

A quick question, does Genesis work as smoth in Carrara 8.5 as I guess it does in the lates Daz Studio?

I dont use Studio but im willing to uprade my carrara if so is the case.

does for me .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Me too :)

Disisme said:
    Disisme said:
    Again, thank-you, thank-you, and thank-you for the information given so far. I am sure it will help me learn

That is payment to me. My goal in life is to place Carrara Pro firmly in a nice seat, considered amongst the top-class CG software solutions in the world - a seat which I feel, because of the fact that no other single application can perform everything that it can, is well deserved already. So the more happy users we get using this amazing machine, the more art will get generated for the world to see. And that's a good thing - always.

Thank-you Dartanbeck for all the links and the help. I have been watching so many videos I think my eyes are going to bleed. Just watched them through and saved them in a favorites file. Got the VDownloader so I could save them to disc (nice free program for downloading but only works with youtube videos) and watch them while I work in the programs. I have not waisted one link, went to everyone and saved locations so I could go back and learn.

I really do greatly appreciate the time and the help, hope someday in the future I can repay it by being able to help others. Back to work for now, no rest till I learn it all ;)If you want to learn it all... you will. You'll see. Carrara rocks. There's just no way it can't! :)

• edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply!

Ive red on other carrara forums that loading more then one Genesis in a scene makes carrara slow down, glad that doesnt seem to be the case.

edited December 1969

Jonnybode said:
    Thanks for your reply!

Ive red on other carrara forums that loading more then one Genesis in a scene makes carrara slow down, glad that doesnt seem to be the case.

Nope.
    Again, I suppose some of it may have to do with how much horsepower you have, but if you can load and use several Genesis in DS, you shouldn't have any difficulties in Carrara. I use Pro.

It take a little while for the first Genesis to load. Then the next one loads faster. Same with the next one. And then I've ran four Genesis monsters in a replicator to make a whole bunch of them ;)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    DAZ_Spooky,

1.) Where are the newer Genesis Hair Caps located in the downloadable files? I'm not seeing them for manual download.

2.) The Digital Painters Shaders still don't show up as being part of Carrara 8.5 you said that had been added in a previous post.

Quoting, because they are still not in my Product Library ...

And another thing: How do I get my Carrara 8.1 stuff?
    My "Carrara 8 Upgrade" doesn't give me 8.1 or the 8.1 content - it is just leading to the 8.5 beta stuff ... Could somebody correct this???

Digital Painters Shaders are now in my Product library

Carrara 8 upgrade is still associated with Carra 8.5 Beta ...

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

purchaded it now, also got 85,50 discount to the 171$, so seems to be a bargain.
    Only thing i am a bit worried about is the matter how long it takes until Carrara 9 will come out, i was buying Carrara 8 first but got than the chance for the 8.5 beta what i was using all the time so i don't want to use a beta all the time and wanted to give the full version a try! :)
    Can't wait to test it out and hope it gots also a bit better/faster than the beta.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,711
    edited September 2013

Taozen said:
    Where was it said that you would be entitled to the upgrade for beta testing or purchasing within two months of the release? If it was said then you should certainly be entitled to it, I'm not aware of anything like that though.

Many companies offer a free upgrade if you've bought their software wirthin a certain period before a new major (paid) release. This period can vary, but often it's several months or even longer. An example: I recevied this mail about a month ago when this company released version 6:

"Upgrade for free if you purchased a license (new or upgrade) for PopChar Win 5 on or after June 1st 2011. No purchase is required, as your license key is still valid and covers the new version."

Personally I think at least 3 months would be fair with software which has major releases every 2 years or so.

On the other hand you also see companies who offer large discounts on their current release just before a new release (with no free upgrade to the next) just to squeze some extra $ out of it. Bad practice IMO, you just annoy your customers that way.

DAZ Policy is 30 days. And we did tell you it was coming, and when it was coming, in February.

Well new customers may not be aware of that. It's basically those who run into this problem.

One option might be to start selling it with a free upgrade to next version when there's say 3 months left until the new version is out.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

purchaded it now, also got 85,50 discount to the 171$, so seems to be a bargain.

I agree. It is a major bargain!
  • edited September 2013

i have just bought it the last days but now it says "serial number is invalid" - please tell me what to do !!! thx (use os x 10.8.4)

Post edited by office_d0a81ce1dc on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Just don't expect the serial number to work :ohh: >:(

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

mandis said:
    i have just bought it the last days but now it says "serial number is invalid" - please tell me what to do !!! thx (use os x 10.8.4)

the same about mine, C8.5 and Render Note says Serial is invalid, whats going on?

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

With the S/N issue it has been flagged up to the PTB. We presume someone forgot to take the expire date off flag from when they created the last beta S/N, I am sure this will be sorted out as soon as possible.

edited September 2013

Yes, as Neil said we are trying to get a message through to anyone or everyone who may be willing to listen, which is somewaht problematic as today is a hoiiday in the US. We will persevere.

• Tiger66Tiger66 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mandis said:

the same about mine, C8.5 and Render Note says Serial is invalid, whats going on?

And me as well, was working last night, today I get the Serial number invalid message. C8.1 Pro still ok.
    Not sure I understand why DAZ reviews serial numbers after a week? They had my money a week ago, so why check back and mess with my account? Glad I haven't bought a lot of stuff other than Carrara lately.

Contrast this to the excellent service I got from Digital Carvers Guild this past weekend when Eric Winemiller looked up my serial numbers for my Carrara plugins for me. Digital Carvers Guild makes great plugins to expand the capabilities of Carrara. Eric is a talented coder and a standup guy. Check out his plugins at http://digitalcarversguild.com/ .

Hope DAZ gets this straightened out soon.

edited September 2013

chohole said:
    UPDATE

Daz 3D have people working on this as we speak, I am asked to tell you that they are working to resolve immediately.

Will post any further message as we get them.

• lindelllindell Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Two week sale period hasn't passed, yet logging in today, it is no longer showing the full sale price anymore, what happened?

• edited December 1969

now i have seen that i have a new serialnumber in my account - and it works. thx

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

lindell said:
    Two week sale period hasn't passed, yet logging in today, it is no longer showing the full sale price anymore, what happened?

I too am only getting the 50% off and not the extra discount for owning 8.1 Pro. Is 8.5 not still on sale for the 87.50 as promised for 2 weeks?

• lindelllindell Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

I'm only seeing 48% off. I own 8pro and am a PC member.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I have asked if the price could be looked at. It sounds like it broke again.

Good news the S/N Issue is fixed so those that have C8.5 can play again.