Pointless Prizeless Challenge #53: Using 3D models in unusual ways (stop giggling at the back!)

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited November 2020 in Art Studio

I'm really bored, so... yes! It's time for another one of those things that you've all been eagerly snoring for.

( Pointless Prizeless Challenge Index | Previous challenge - Pointless Prizeless Challenge #87: Render A Ridiculous RPG Character : Next challenge - Pointless Prizeless Challenge #2,486: Render the building of an Interociter : and remember that since the challenges are prizeless there is no closing date )

"What's the point of a challenge without prizes?" I hear you ask. Well...there isn't any, which is why I said it's pointless ! But looking on the bright side, without prizes there are are no losers - so everybody's a winner !
(of course you could argue that without prizes there are no winners so everybody's a loser, but that would make you a pointless nihilistic pessimist, so yah boo sucks to you! )

So without further ado (or adon't if you're that way inclined) it's on to the challenge !

Errr...I can't think how to explain this challenge in words. So here's two examples.

Example 1: Here's the DAZ Zubarra...

...but if you stick it's head in the ground it can become a wonderfully unusual claw-type thingy...

Example 2: Here's the DAZ Crypta Sepultus...

...but if you just take the ceiling, duplicate it, rotate the duplicate so that it becomes the floor, and fit the original ceiling and rotated ceiling together you get a beautifully unusual monolithic interior...

Do you get the idea ?

So this pointless prizeless challenge is basically to use a 3D model thingy (I understand that the preferred terminology nowadays is "3D Asset" - stop giggling cheapskate!) in an unusual, unexpected, clever, lateral thinking sort of way.

Ideally, when you post your image here also include, for comparison, an image of the 3D model thingy (3D Asset) used in an ordinary, boring, humdrum-thinking sort of way. Also a link to the DAZ* product page might be good. That way we can all copy your idea and pretend we thought of it ourselves.

*I think links to freebies at other sites are also okay (that's what the DAZ Freepozitory forum is for).

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Aha    Kit Bashing with a difference,

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2018

That might actually make a better thread title - "Pointless Prizeless Challenge #53: Kit Bashing with a difference" has more of a ring to it than "Pointless Prizeless Challenge #53: Using 3D models in unusual ways (stop giggling at the back!)"

And before I forget, I know that Luxxeon's "Royal Chesterfield Ottoman" freebie from ShareCG ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/77588/browse/5/3D-Model/Royal-Chesterfield-Ottoman ) makes a marvellous hat, as does Laticis' "Free Object - Royal Garden Chair" at DeviantArt ( https://www.deviantart.com/laticis/art/FREE-Object-Royal-GARDEN-CHAIR-456777632 ).

Unfortunately I accidentally on purpose deleted the scene from my system before it was finished, so I can't use it as an example.

edited June 2018

Examples 3 and 4:

How about the killer satellites (or for those who can't abide long words 'killsats') of DAZ "Stellar Fury" ?

...well, that alien one makes a nice stonkingly-huge space blaster for a retro space-babe (I think I might have to go back and finish this abandoned picture)...

...or (my personal favourite) six of them turned into the world origin of my runtime...

abandoned_idea___retro_spacegirl_ii_by_3dcheapskate-d8mdmu6.jpg
    1000 x 1171 - 279K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited June 2018

Not an entry

OK, this seems right up my alley, especially the pointless part.  Here is an old pointless kitbash that I did for Its Raning Men.

Item was a woman's corset-type thing.

Kitbashing involved converting the item to a terrain with two huts.

And then using instancing (replicator) to place grass, vegetation,stone walls, etc.

I think the final entry included Luke.

Anyway, I am all in for the pointless challenge!

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2018

I remember someone (fom the Carrara forum I Think) used a pair of panties as a sail for a dinghy in the first ever raining men challenge.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Does look sort of familiar. 

Get motivated, people!  There are unprizes to not win, and grand not-schemes to not carry out, all for the inglory of not a valid point!

Diomede said:

Does look sort of familiar. 

Get motivated, people!  There are unprizes to not win, and grand not-schemes to not carry out, all for the inglory of not a valid point!

unprizes    are they as good as unbirthday presents?

Or birthday unpresents ?

Or birthday unpresents ?

yes  true,  but I am still with Humpty Dumpty on this   Unbirthday presents are best, cos you have 364 unbirthdays compared to only one birtday - unless of course unless you are the reigning Monarch of the United Kingdom when the ratio is 2 birthdays to 363 unbirthdays.

edited July 2018

Being with Mr Dumpty is a precarious position. He was very sure of himself, which is why he sat on a wall and not a fence. But we all know how he ended up with egg all over his face, don't we ? laugh

Edit: that should probably have been "...ended up yelking* his life-yolk all over the pavement"

*yelking being to yolk as bleeding is to blood

edited July 2018
    Diomede said:

Not an entry...

Item was a woman's corset-type thing.

I love that - brilliant idea !

(and I remember the knicker-sail too - that picture always makes me think of the bit in the Ray Harryhausen "Jason And The Argonauts" where they're escaping from Talos. No wonder he was angry! )

• Grand Teton! Gotta enjoy alternative breasts.

Really simple, and not always useful... but Tentacles, blown up, can be fleshy whatevers for your horror/horrible scenes. Gangsta space slugs, walls made of flesh. Tentacles are very useful and fun.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited June 2018

Several partial copies of NightShift's Satellite Dish nd his tritium container to form some high energy focusing array.

Sincerely,

Bill

Focusing-Array-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 41K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    edited July 2018

Grand Teton! Gotta enjoy alternative breasts.

Really simple, and not always useful... but Tentacles, blown up, can be fleshy whatevers for your horror/horrible scenes. Gangsta space slugs, walls made of flesh. Tentacles are very useful and fun.

My brain only read as far as '...fleshy whatevers...' and it was trying to work out how you'd made her breasts out of tentacles...

My bad ! laugh

Edit: Ha! Finally got it - it's the Big JTH himself ! (you can call me slow)

edited July 2018
    Redfern said:

Several partial copies of NightShift's Satellite Dish nd his tritium container to form some high energy focusing array.

Sincerely,

Bill

Wonderful !

Sci-fi (and probably steampunk) gadgetry is ripe for creative misappropriation

(By the way, have you worked out how to make the DAZ interocitor* yet ? No ? You really should read those readmes that come with all the DAZ sci-fi stuff...)

*For anybody who's not familiar with 1950s sci-fi movies just google "This Island Earth".