How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited May 2018

That was easy! The link provided by barbult tells you all you need to know to do basic rigging. Took about 5 minutes to complete. Here's a render of the conformed but NOT dForced shirt:

When it was simulated, there were more gaps than what I showed in the previous post, but turning on smoothing cleared it all up right away. Here's what it looks like both conformed AND dForced:

Think I'll next try to create a pair of pants, then I'll put together a tutorial covering the entire process. 

dForce Silo shirt pose 2 conformed.jpg
    800 x 640 - 239K
    dForce Silo shirt pose 2 conformed simulated.jpg
    640 x 800 - 248K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Way cool! And yes, Hexagon has Subdivision, although I'm not sure I was using it correctly.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    sapat said:

Hey, this is great to know.  I also have Silo 2.5 and I don't really use it because I find the interface is not intuitive. 

Silo's interface is fully customisable BTW. You can download a few premade UI presets and see if you find a layout you like.

http://nevercenter.com/silo3d/wiki/index.php?title=Customizations_And_Interfaces

Wow, thanks for that.  I'm just boggled when I open Silo and have to figure it out every time.  

RGcincy said:

That was easy! The link provided by barbult tells you all you need to know to do basic rigging. Took about 5 minutes to complete. Here's a render of the conformed but NOT dForced shirt:

When it was simulated, there were more gaps than what I showed in the previous post, but turning on smoothing cleared it all up right away. Here's what it looks like both conformed AND dForced:

Think I'll next try to create a pair of pants, then I'll put together a tutorial covering the entire process. 

A tutorial would be great.  Anything in Silo would be more than I can do now.  Thanks also for the link.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited May 2018

@RGcincy, I thought it was about time that I stop lurking and try some of your techniques!  laugh  I wanted to see if I could make a character hug a pillow, so I took a pillow from the DaybedRomance set, and set it to Dynamics, like you had on an early post, but instead of anti-gravity (which got ugly, lol!), I turned off gravity and moved Sakura into the pillow while grasping it.  Came out pretty good?  I ran a bunch of tests before I realized you can't translate the dynamic thing (I was trying to move it into her body, versus moving her into the pillow...and it would not move) 

EDIT:  I tried to inflate it using mCasuals mjcElevate script at the end of the animation to make it more "puffy" but it seems you can't aniamte anything that is running a dForce modifier.  So I just tried tweaking some settings to make the pillow a little fuller, thus image #2

Anyway, call this a "thank you" tribute for these examples!

(...and yes, she is clothed, wearing a bikini! blush)

Video of simulation here: 

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    3dOutlaw said:

@RGcincy, I thought it was about time that I stop lurking and try some of your techniques!  laugh  I wanted to see if I could make a character hug a pillow, so I took a pillow from the DaybedRomance set, and set it to Dynamics, like you had on an early post, but instead of anti-gravity (which got ugly, lol!), I turned off gravity and moved Sakura into the pillow while grasping it.  Came out pretty good?  I ran a bunch of tests before I realized you can't translate the dynamic thing (I was trying to move it into her body, versus moving her into the pillow...and it would not move) 

Wow! Looks great!

3dOutlaw said:

EDIT:  I tried to inflate it using mCasuals mjcElevate script at the end of the animation to make it more "puffy" but it seems you can't aniamte anything that is running a dForce modifier.  So I just tried tweaking some settings to make the pillow a little fuller, thus image #2

Video of simulation here: 

Holy Cow!  This is very cool!

edited May 2018
    3dOutlaw said:

@RGcincy, I thought it was about time that I stop lurking and try some of your techniques!  laugh  I wanted to see if I could make a character hug a pillow, so I took a pillow from the DaybedRomance set, and set it to Dynamics, like you had on an early post, but instead of anti-gravity (which got ugly, lol!), I turned off gravity and moved Sakura into the pillow while grasping it.  Came out pretty good?  

Thanks for sharing! it turned out very good. That's a good tip, moving one object into another.

3dOutlaw said:

EDIT:  I tried to inflate it using mCasuals mjcElevate script at the end of the animation to make it more "puffy" but it seems you can't animate anything that is running a dForce modifier.  So I just tried tweaking some settings to make the pillow a little fuller, thus image #2

You could use a dFormer after the simulation, either with the standard sphere or a weight map, to modify its look. But what you did was effective.

Thanks for the video too.

edited May 2018

Pirate shirt experiment, made in Hexagon, textured with shader presets, draped in DS with 60-frame animated dforce simulation. didn't subdivide it enough probably, and the collar didn't behave, and there are various modeling flaws (the lacy cuffs are wider than they are tall). But hey, not bad for my second dforce clothing experiment. The surfaces created for tightening (set to 90% Expand-Contract): wrists, throat (base of the collar), waist, yoke (shoulders), and shoulder darts (armpits and equivalent areas at from and back of shoulders, stopping at the edge of the yoke). 

PirateShirt.png
    625 x 807 - 322K
    Post edited by Odaa on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    Odaa said:

Pirate shirt experiment, made in Hexagon, textured with shader presets, draped in DS with 60-frame animated dforce simulation. didn't subdivide it enough probably, and the collar didn't behave, and there are various modeling flaws (the lacy cuffs are wider than they are tall). But hey, not bad for my second dforce clothing experiment. The surfaces created for tightening (set to 90% Expand-Contract): wrists, throat (base of the collar), waist, yoke (shoulders), and shoulder darts (armpits and equivalent areas at from and back of shoulders, stopping at the edge of the yoke). 

Ah, the puffy shirt smiley  Nice job on that one!

Odaa said:

You are off to a good start! Looks better than if it was just a conformed shirt. I was planning to take a look at collars too but right now I'm writing up a tutorial on a basic shirt. 

Odaa said:

It looks really great!  Fantastic job.

Thanks all! BTW, even though I don't like to start from memorized pose when doing an animated simulation, this time I found it really helpful for getting the sleeves to settle down.

edited May 2018

I wrote up the tutorial on making a shirt in Silo. Since dForce is a small part of it, I put it in a separate thread. A 12-page PDF covers making the model, adjusting the UV map, rigging it in Daz Studio, and using dForce on it. You can find it here.

Rigged and dForced:

edited May 2018

My first attempt at making shorts using Silo. Conformed and dForced on Genesis 3 male. There is a waist band that I set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 90%, otherwise dForce defaults used.

dForce shorts.jpg
    640 x 800 - 249K

Wow Rich, you've been going like a house afire!  This is so exciting.  Thanks again.laugh

Great Work on the tutorial and the shorts!

edited May 2018

thanks sapat and Odaa, now that I've got the basics down in Silo, it's getting easier to set things up. Still need to learn more about the UV mapping as I don't quite have it right on the inner shorts legs.

I did another render using a basketball pose - first with dForce and second with only conformation. You can see how dForce gives a much better result in terms of fabric behaving more like it should with some stretch and give.

dForce shorts basketball.jpg
    640 x 800 - 207K
    dForce shorts basketball no dForce.jpg
    640 x 800 - 210K
    RGcincy said:

thanks sapat and Odaa, now that I've got the basics down in Silo, it's getting easier to set things up. Still need to learn more about the UV mapping as I don't quite have it right on the inner shorts legs.

I did another render using a basketball pose - first with dForce and second with only conformation. You can see how dForce gives a much better result in terms of fabric behaving more like it should with some stretch and give.

Yes, the dforce seems to be more forgiving than the conformed version. 

I sure hope you're going to continue on the path of showing us more unique techniques for dforce like you have been.  You're a font of knowledge and when you get ideas I hope you share them!

It appears to me that dForce items will not collide with instances. Once I converted the instances to objects, the collision worked fine.

sapat said:

I sure hope you're going to continue on the path of showing us more unique techniques for dforce like you have been.  You're a font of knowledge and when you get ideas I hope you share them!

I plan to, just need a new idea to pop up!

barbult said:

It appears to me that dForce items will not collide with instances. Once I converted the instances to objects, the collision worked fine.

Yes, instances have no meaning to dForce. That's caught me as well. I was trying to hang something over several spikes and it would catch on one and slide off the others. I don't know how many things I tried before I remembered all but one were instances. I bought instances to object recently for that reason. 

RGcincy said:
    sapat said:

barbult said:

Yes, instances have no meaning to dForce. That's caught me as well. I was trying to hang something over several spikes and it would catch on one and slide off the others. I don't know how many things I tried before I remembered all but one were instances. I bought instances to object recently for that reason. 

Instances to Objects is what I used to solve my problem, too.

RGcincy said:
    sapat said:

YAY!! Good to hear that yes 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited June 2018

Been making morphs for my cape today but I can NOT get the wind node to cooperate with me on one pose.  I'd like a set up that would create a spread out cape going back.  I've tried to use one under the figure and one on top of the figure to create that wind velocity and while that works sort of the cape just keeps folding in on itself rather than spreading out.  Quite annoying.  I've been at this a couple of hours now but it's time to reach out for some instruction if there is anyone that knows or has other ideas.  

Thanks so much

Richard 

WindSetupARGH.jpg
    1000 x 771 - 166K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

Could you 'cheat' and rotate the character so the cape is hanging down?

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

The wind speed is 50 MPH? I would have thought even 5 MPH would be too much. When I use a wind node at close distances, it's often 1 or 2 MPH, or even less than 1 MPH. And I don't even have the wind node that close to a character, because you get odd effects... turbulence, maybe?. I make no claims to expertise, but I do suggest you try winding the wind speed down and see if that helps.

Did try that.  All I got was the cape resting on his back legs.  I was thinking in order to fly he would have to be going a pretty good clip so the I thought the wind should be higher as well to make sure the cape is flowing behind him and not sitting on his body parts like he's floating.  

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    RAMWolff said:

Did try that.  All I got was the cape resting on his back legs.  I was thinking in order to fly he would have to be going a pretty good clip so the I thought the wind should be higher as well to make sure the cape is flowing behind him and not sitting on his body parts like he's floating.  

I'm inclined to think that it may be some sort of turbulance from his body.  Maybe try hiding the lower torso and legs?

Yes, that may work.  I tried hiding the entire body but without anything to push from it just sat there!  lol