How to Create a Shirt Using Silo 2.5

RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
edited May 2018 in The Commons

This tutorial came about as part of a discussion on my dForce thread. Since dForce is only a small part of it, I decided it made more sense to give it its own thread. You can find the tutorial in the attached 12-page PDF. It covers 28 steps with the following topics:

1. Saving a base figure in Daz Studio and loading into Silo.
  2. Creating and modifying a cube to make the base model
  3. Using subdivision within Silo to create the final model
  4. Adjusting the UV map for correct texturing 
  5. Importing the final model into Daz Studio
  6. Rigging the shirt to make it a conforming model
  7. Adding dForce​

If you spot any errors or areas where the explanation is lacking, let me know and I'll revise it.

Shirt in Daz Studio - Conforming Only:

:

Shirt in Daz Studio - With dForce:

Conforming Shirt following Morphs (George)

pdf
pdf
Creating Clothes in Silo 2.5.pdf
Shirt for tutoiral rigged only.jpg
640 x 800 - 222K
Shirt for tutoiral dForce.jpg
640 x 800 - 224K
Shirt for Tutorial rigged George.jpg
640 x 800 - 284K
Post edited by RGcincy on

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

It looks really good with dForce.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited May 2018

I think so too!

Note that I've attached the .obj, .mlt, and .sib files to the first post in case anyone wants to use them.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I'm certainly going to have to take your tutorial for a spin, RGcincy. I have Silo amongst my collection of largely unused modelling software, and its about time I used it for more than the occasional, minor editing of an existing mesh. If only I could overcome that procrastination thing. indecision Thank you for your efforts!

edited May 2018

One area that is weak in what I've done so far is the UV mapping. There's a good PDF on the web that discusses UV mapping in Silo. Once I give it a go, I'll update my pdf. I've also learned how to set material zones within Silo, so will be adding that as well.

I also wanted to post out a thread Novica started back in 2014. It has a lot of basic tips if you are new to Silo: Silo Modeling for Beginner's

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Thanks Rich.  Just downloaded the tutorial.  Hope I can get into Silo without losing hair!

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited May 2018

Hi 
    I used Silo  create the base development mesh that I use
    to create all of my Genesis  1,2,3,8 clothing
    According to the Daz EULA any mesh that was created using 
    the "unique shape  of any Daz figure as a guide is"Derivative"

you shirt mesh is such a derivative cannot be Distributed freely as though it was your intellectual property

Addtionally your silo file contains what appears to be an actual copy of the G3 male mesh
    again you cannot dstribute this freely under the Daz EULA 

You must delete the link to the .obj& Silo file IMMEDIATELY file as you are in violation of the Daz EULA. 

BIG--NO-NO.jpg
    800 x 1008 - 421K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834

Wolf, the issue with your mesh was that you tried to release it with a looser EULA. As long as RGcincy object is used subject to the Daz EULA (which should be made clear) then it is not a problem.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited May 2018

Wolf, the issue with your mesh was that you tried to release it with a looser EULA. As long as RGcincy object is used subject to the Daz EULA (which should be made clear) then it is not a problem.

Then if I release my dev  meshes with the strict requirement that it only be used to create clothing for personal use or to be sold in the Daz store
    would it then be allowed??

Post edited by wolf359 on

I wasn't aware of the potential violation of the EULA so I deleted the files. It's easy enough for people to create their own.. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    wolf359 said:

Then if I release my dev  meshes with the strict requirement that it only be used to create clothing for personal use or to be sold in the Daz store
    would it then be allowed??

I don't think you need be that restrictive, just state that as it is a derivative shape the Daz 3D EULA governs it's use - with a link - and then add any additional stipulations of your own (such as credit to you)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@RGcincy Thanks! This tutorial should come in handy. Silo is one of those modelers I picked up dirt cheap to try out and I still haven't done anything in it. I'll have to follow your tutorial and give it a try. :)

@Knittingmommy Let me know if you you have any issues. It's pretty straightforward other than learning the interface. I found this cheat sheet the other day which is handy to have.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    RGcincy said:

@Knittingmommy Let me know if you you have any issues. It's pretty straightforward other than learning the interface. I found this cheat sheet the other day which is handy to have.

I will let you know when I get a chance to try the tutorial if I have any problems. That's a cool reference sheet. I hadn't seen that before so I saved it. Thanks.

edited May 2018

Besides the shirt, I've made a pair of shorts and a beach shoe (can;t call it a pair as there's only one!). Basically they follow the same procedure as the shirt, other than I used the Paint Displacement tool to smooth the shoe around the foot. The base models are quite blocky but subD translate that into smooth looking clothing. The images show the shoe base model, the subD model and the shorts and shoe in use.

Silo shoe base model.jpg
    934 x 446 - 72K
    Silo shoe subD model.jpg
    923 x 410 - 59K
    Silo beach shoe.png
    640 x 800 - 604K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

there is a simple solution to all the EULA issues BTW

model your stuff initially around Makehuman

then create fits for various DAZ, iClone CC, Hivewire meshes that are subject to each of their EULA usages and restrictions 

IE you can have unrestricted use in games of your original on Makehuman but the ones that fit the other figures subject to the restrictions placed on those figures.