How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• QT168QT168 Posts: 15
    edited April 2018

Hi all, This thread is SUPER informative and I've learned quite a bit from these discussions.

I made a quick tutorial showing how to combine character (body & facial) with dynamic cloth animation using dForce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHCcaZ3Ry78

Interestingly, dForce can also be applied to hair (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSc_yOQr2S8 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53z1jBRR150 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWsO6raqFs ).

Post edited by QT168 on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804

Thanks for sharing the links QT168! The tips on how to use Animate with dForce in the first video link are helpful for those who want more complex animations. And for those who check them out, be sure to click on the "Show More" links under the descriptions as there are dForce settings and links to other videos posted as well.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I finally started playing with dforce.  I have a dynamic batman cape that I'm trying to use,  It was easy to get the cape to drape over his sholders and hang down.

The Dark Knight

But now I'm trying to get something like this.

BImage result for batman jumping

Without any simulation. the cape pretty much looks like this already (sort of).  I just want some folds in there.  I've tryied several sims that did not come out at all like this.  Do you all have any recommendations for settings?  The cape does not have any bones or morphs built in.

tkdrobert said:

Without any simulation. the cape pretty much looks like this already (sort of).  I just want some folds in there.  I've tryied several sims that did not come out at all like this.  Do you all have any recommendations for settings?  The cape does not have any bones or morphs built in.

You could try creating some long cylinders and positioning them where you want the folds. You may have to rotate the cape to be horizontal so it falls against the cylinders (then rotate to correct position after the simulation). If the mesh just bridges across the cylinders, increase Contraction-Expansion Ratio a little bit (102 -105%) to give the mesh some ability to stretch.

RGcincy said:
    tkdrobert said:

You could try creating some long cylinders and positioning them where you want the folds. You may have to rotate the cape to be horizontal so it falls against the cylinders (then rotate to correct position after the simulation). If the mesh just bridges across the cylinders, increase Contraction-Expansion Ratio a little bit (102 -105%) to give the mesh some ability to stretch.

That might just work.  Thanks for the idea.

• You might treat the wings like a flag and use the dforce wind modifier.

edited April 2018
    the_one60 said:

You might treat the wings like a flag and use the dforce wind modifier.

I did try that and I couldn't get it.  The simulations take so long that it's hard to experiment.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Has anyone been having problems with dForce ignoring Freeze Simulation set to On or Visible in Simulation set to off? Recently I can't freeze a simulation either of a different object or of a surface - they will reset anytime I click on the Simulate button. I had to update my Nvida drivers to correct a Daz crashing problem. I've noticed the issue after that but I can't say for sure they are related.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    RGcincy said:

Has anyone been having problems with dForce ignoring Freeze Simulation set to On or Visible in Simulation set to off? Recently I can't freeze a simulation either of a different object or of a surface - they will reset anytime I click on the Simulate button. I had to update my Nvida drivers to correct a Daz crashing problem. I've noticed the issue after that but I can't say for sure they are related.

Well I just did the 'Freeze in Simulation' for the 1st time & it worked but I did not exit & restart DAZ Studio. SereneNight says it will reset on her if she exits DAZ Studio, starts DAZ Studio, and reopens the scene she saved with those settings. Maybe it is like saving a scene where you hide geometry but don't delete it - the hidden geometry is visible again next time the scene is reopened.  

• QT168QT168 Posts: 15

Hi all, here is another tutorial for hair dynamics using dForce.

dForceM4COVER.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

@QT168 Thanks for posting! For those who like to learn via video rather than the text I publish, this video covers some of the basics of dForce that apply beyond hair: adding the modifier, setting collision layers, adding and painting weight maps, setting up animation timeline.

edited April 2018

38. Create a Skirt from a Cone. One of the simplest clothing items you can make from a primitive object.

a. Create a primitive plane using the following parameters. Adjust X-scale to 132% and Z-scale to 105%.

b. Using the Geometry Editor tool and the Marquee selection method, select the top 20 rows or so of the cone. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Visibility/Hide Selected Polygon(s).

c. Using the Geometry Editor tool and the Marquee selection method, select the bottom edge of the cone. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Visibility/Hide Selected Polygon(s). This hides the bottom surface.

d. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Editing/Delete Hidden Polygon(s).

e. Using the Geometry Editor tool and the Marquee selection method, select the top 3 rows of the truncated cone. Right click in the viewport and choose Geometry Assignment/Create Surface from Selected and label the surface Belt.

f. Apply a dForce dynamic modifier to the cone.

g. Select the Belt surface and set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 62%.

h. Load a figure (I used Genesis 3 female). Position the top opening of the cone around the figure’s waist. Adjust X- and Z-translate parameters so the cone is clear of all skin.

i. Run the simulation and you get this result. The belt cinches in first.

Then the simulation completes.

j. If you want the skirt to be more hip hugging (down lower) set Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 75%.

k. If you want a shorter skirt you might think all you have to do is adjust the Y-scale, but that does not change the slant length of the cone’s outside edge so you will get the same skirt length after simulation. Instead, use the geometry editor to choose some of the lower polygons and hide them (same process as step b).

With the shorter skirt, it does not pull down as much on the belt. To get a hip hugging effect, you need to increase Contraction-Expansion Ratio to 85%.

This is also another example that shows it can be hard to predict dForce behavior, as length of skirt (or perhaps it’s the number of polygons) influences what the surface property settings need to be.

l. I added a series of dance moves so the figure rotated along the Y axis. I had to reduce the density of the skirt surface to 70 to keep it from riding up too high. The result is a nice swirl and uplifting of the skirt. Gravity and air resistance are at default, so the movement  of the skirt is all from rotation. This render is frame 10 in the middle of the animation. If you let the rotation stop and have any relaxation time, the dress will settle back into a typical drape. 

dForce skirt create cone.jpg
    249 x 363 - 30K
    dForce skirt select top cone.jpg
    543 x 431 - 58K
    dForce skirtcreate belt.jpg
    524 x 354 - 76K
    dForce skirt cone on figure.jpg
    445 x 489 - 46K
    dForce skirt cone after sim.jpg
    328 x 498 - 36K
    dForce skirt long.png
    480 x 600 - 360K
    dForce skirt lower.png
    480 x 600 - 362K
    dForce skirt cone after sim short.jpg
    229 x 454 - 24K
    dForce skirt short.png
    480 x 600 - 336K
    dForce skirt short lower.png
    480 x 600 - 339K
    dForce skirt cinch in belt.jpg
    550 x 334 - 53K
    dForce skirt dance pose.png
    960 x 1200 - 941K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070

That's pretty neat, Rich! You seem to be full of ideas.

MelanieL said:

That's pretty neat, Rich! You seem to be full of ideas.

Thanks Melanie. The ideas keep coming - but they always take so much longer to figure out than I would expect.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017

I love this thread! 

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    barbult said:

I love this thread! 

I agree. This thread should be pinned or saved or something. So much good info. And the PDF too.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I have this thread saved as a Favourite in my browser for quick reference.

Thanks all!

Just to note I added an extra render at the end of the skirt section above to show it swirling under the influence of an animation with rotation.

edited April 2018

Look! I followed your cone skirt guidance and made a cylindar skirt. I think it looks nice. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cylindar Skirt G3F.JPG
    2593 x 1940 - 356K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    RGcincy said:
    This is also another example that shows it can be hard to predict dForce behavior, as length of skirt (or perhaps it’s the number of polygons) influences what the surface property settings need to be.

It's probably because a longer skirt has higher mass. We have that gravity parameter, so it makes sense if the solver computes mass.

If we have two cones of the same size, with the only difference being poly count, then we could test and see if dForce measures the area in some absolute units or in polys. If it uses absolute units, then these two skirts should slide down the same amount since they are the same size and consequently, mass. If poly count per se is what matters, then the higher poly skirt would be "heavier" and slide down more.

I exported my Cylindar Skirt as OBJ, rigged it with the transfer utility, applied dForce Modifier again and tweaked the settings, applied a simple texture, saved as figure/prop asset, and now I have a cute new skirt. Amazing!

Cylindar Skirt G3F rigged dForce.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    barbult said:

Look! I followed your cone skirt guidance and made a cylindar skirt. I think it looks nice. Thanks for the inspiration.

barbult said:

I exported my Cylindar Skirt as OBJ, rigged it with the transfer utility, applied dForce Modifier again and tweaked the settings, applied a simple texture, saved as figure/prop asset, and now I have a cute new skirt. Amazing!

That turned out really good! How do you rig it with the transfer utility?

RGcincy said:

It's probably because a longer skirt has higher mass. We have that gravity parameter, so it makes sense if the solver computes mass.

If we have two cones of the same size, with the only difference being poly count, then we could test and see if dForce measures the area in some absolute units or in polys. If it uses absolute units, then these two skirts should slide down the same amount since they are the same size and consequently, mass. If poly count per se is what matters, then the higher poly skirt would be "heavier" and slide down more.

You would think the density parameter might behave like that, I wonder if it does.You suggested a good experiment to try.

RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

barbult said:

That turned out really good! How do you rig it with the transfer utility?

Just the same way you would rig any modeled clothing. In the transfer utility, you select G3F (in this case) as the source and the skirt OBJ as the target. There are tutorials around, but I don't have a handy link to one right now. I bet SickleYield has made one. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here is a link to the Daz documentation on transfer utility. A few little details may be out of date, but the gist is there.

• @RGcincy - just wanted to say thanks for these ongoing updates, I find them very useful and really appreciate the effort that you've put into experimenting with them. I look forward to seeing what you find out next.

barbult said:

Here is a link to the Daz documentation on transfer utility. A few little details may be out of date, but the gist is there.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

@RGcincy - just wanted to say thanks for these ongoing updates, I find them very useful and really appreciate the effort that you've put into experimenting with them. I look forward to seeing what you find out next.

Glad it's of help!

edited May 2018

39. Create a Bandeau from a Cylinder. Another simple clothing item that can be made from a primitive. This is based on combining what I did to make a skirt from a cone and what barbult did to make a skirt from a cylinder.  

a. Create a primitive cylinder of 3 feet diameter, 1 foot height with 50 segments and 64 sides. Position it around a figure and adjust the scale as needed.

b. Similar to step 38 c, select the top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder, hide them, then delete them.

c. Similar to step 38 e, create a new surface from the top few rows and call it Top Band. Do the same for the bottom few rows and call it Bottom Band.

d. Add a dForce dynamic modifier to the cylinder.

e. Change the Contraction-Expansion Ratio of the top band to 65%. Run the simulation. You will get a tight fit of the top elastic band and a very loose fit of the cloth and the lower band.

f. Keeping the previous change, now change the Contraction-Expansion Ratio of the bottom band to 65%. Run the simulation. You will get a tight fit of the top and bottom elastic bands and a loose fit of the cloth. Note the droop in the back.

g. Keeping the previous changes, now change the Contraction-Expansion Ratio of the default surface band to 90%. Run the simulation. You will get a tighter fit of the cloth. If you go much lower on the C-E Ratio, the cloth will start to distort.

h. Set the Contraction-Expansion Ratio of the top band to 65%, the cloth to 90%, and the bottom band to 85%. Run the simulation. This will give you a tighter fit than “e” and a looser fit than “g”. 

i. You can also make it into a longer top by scaling on the Y axis.

dForce dance bandeau v loose 65-100-100.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
    dForce dance bandeau loose 65-100-65.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
    dForce dance bandeau tight bands 65-90-65.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
    dForce dance bandeau loose 65-90-85.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
    dForce skirt bandeau long.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2018

Hi again. Back playing with DForce and trying to simulate a mop. It is in two parts with a clasp and the strings.

The mop strings have a preset that is similar to a sweatshirt fabric from dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets.

While simulating, as can be seen, the strings go right through the clasp as if it doesn't exist. I am trying to remedy

this behavior. By the end of the simulation, the mop strings are all on the ground and have escaped the clasp completely!

sim1.JPG
    652 x 656 - 36K
    sim2.JPG
    652 x 652 - 41K
    sim3.JPG
    653 x 661 - 99K
    sim4.JPG
    653 x 660 - 96K
    sim5.JPG
    653 x 660 - 85K
    aim6.JPG
    654 x 655 - 80K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    Rakuda said:

Hi again. Back playing with DForce and trying to simulate a mop. It is in two parts with a clasp and the strings.

The mop strings have a preset that is similar to a sweatshirt fabric from dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets.

While simulating, as can be seen, the strings go right through the clasp as if it doesn't exist. I am trying to remedy

this behavior. By the end of the simulation, the mop strings are all on the ground and have escaped the clasp completely!

Clever idea! The bottom bracket of the mop may have too few polygons. Try to hide a primitie cube with 50 divisions within the bracket and see if that helps. Do not apply any dForce modifier to the cube.