never would have thought of that

-looking at evilproducer screenshotssmiley

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited June 2018
    Mistara said:

multiply translusence?  

never would have thought of that

-looking at evilproducer screenshotssmiley

Not that the color maps are reduced in intensity with the slider underneath the thumbnail.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

@Misty - Veronica Lake hair is tremendous, and she did a lot of Noir.  There are some good hair available, or will you create your own?  If you have Pretty3D's Jessica Rabbit bundle, I think a good Lake hair is there.  I will always remember her for I Married a Witch and Sullivan's Travels - neither is noir.

@EvilProducer - you are on a roll. Fantastic image.  If I can be picky, it seems a bit bright. EDIT don't think it is brightness -think it is contrast.

Thank you, UB, HeadWax, and others who have commented on the ex husband image.  The guy I had in my head was a former American baseball player named Pete Rose who is a pretty shady character, but now that Headwax mentions it, he does look like one of the actors in Guns of Navarrone.

she totally beautiful.  would like to try strand hair.  not with flow force tho  lol

no wanna use plugins for the b and w part.  thinkin to use the bump maps for textures

edited June 2018
    Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

@Misty - Veronica Lake hair is tremendous, and she did a lot of Noir.  There are some good hair available, or will you create your own?  If you have Pretty3D's Jessica Rabbit bundle, I think a good Lake hair is there.  I will always remember her for I Married a Witch and Sullivan's Travels - neither is noir.

@EvilProducer - you are on a roll. Fantastic image.  If I can be picky, it seems a bit bright. EDIT don't think it is brightness -think it is contrast.

Thank you, UB, HeadWax, and others who have commented on the ex husband image.  The guy I had in my head was a former American baseball player named Pete Rose who is a pretty shady character, but now that Headwax mentions it, he does look like one of the actors in Guns of Navarrone.

she totally beautiful.  would like to try strand hair.  not with flow force tho  lol

no wanna use plugins for the b and w part.  thinkin to use the bump maps for textures

Maybe try a black and white color gradient with the color map as the driver? Here's a test I just did. It sure was a lot quicker than switching around the bump map. I found they looked very dark as well.

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 3.51.48 PM.png
    4032 x 1854 - 2M

Now I want to try it... laugh

Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

Maybe try a black and white color gradient with the color map as the driver? Here's a test I just did. It sure was a lot qicket than switching around the bump map. I found they looked very dark as well.

ooo that looks kewl  thanks

hmmm wonder how will that look on a hair shader  lol 

edited June 2018

You mean dynamic hair? Don't know. I would think it would work.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited June 2018

Cool experiments, EP and Misty. More fun stuff to try.

Of all the bourbon bars in all the world, she walked into Fred's.  Not quite there yet, but hopefully people can see how I am using some of the functions from my "Not an Entry" posts..  Used a gradient gel.  Used the GMIC film B&W.  Used caustics with the bourbon bottle and glass.  

Suggestions welcome.  I'm still not comfortable with the composition or angle.  However, small changes to things like that can have a big effect in this particular GMIC filter and alter the overall lighting drastically.

Bourbon png 2a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 286K
    ss01 bourbon joint setup.JPG
    950 x 844 - 93K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2018

Change in hand pose, slight rearrangement of props

Bourbon png 3a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 319K
    edited June 2018

@Diomede, that is looking cool. Love the toy or puppet look!

Here's what I did with one of my scenes that I have already entered. Using the method I mentioned above, I went through all the textures in the scene and wherever there was an image map in the color channel I used a black and white color gradient and used the color image map to drive the gradient. Where there was subsurface scattering, I changed the color value in that channel to a gray color. I also changed the color values of the various lights in the scene to gray or white. The exception being the lingerie (on purpose), and the fingernails (by accident).

The image below has not been postworked. No plugins were used. This is straight out of Carrara.

Femme fatale pin-up-BW raw.png
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    edited June 2018

An attempt to use facial bones to create an expression.  Got a little carried away.  Some variant of this scene will be an entry, but more experimenting to do.

Bourbon png 4a.png
    1600 x 1200 - 319K

@Diomede, I think you need some kind of rim light on the left side of your subject's face. It doesn't have to really bright, just enough to seperate it from the background.

Thanks.  Will experiment.

We were typing at the same time.

composing scene to some pretty harp music

edited June 2018

Changed the lighting angle.  Like the effect, especially how he seems to be being swallowed up by the shadows. 

Lots more experimenting to do.

Might change the arm pose to extend the glass further out, and the bottle closer in, almost like he is embracing the bottle.

Fred WIP new camera angle 1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 244K
    doubleindem shadows.jpg
    317 x 261 - 36K
    edited June 2018

And who could cause such self-pitying misery?

Someone who would torture Santa Claus and make him turn over the naughty list, so she and her partner can blackmail people.

This is just the upper portion of the scene. The lower portion will have the thug, open safe, and pile of books, as per the plan.  
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3636691/#Comment_3636691

Nothing is final yet, but hopefully the figures, props, and other assets are starting to come together.

torture santa.jpg
    480 x 640 - 26K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@Vyusur, it is Portia Hair for V3, V4, etc. There is also a Portia Hair 2, that is for the Genesis figures. I don't have that one. I did a lot of shader work on it. Mostly adjusting highlight and shininess and adding translucency.

Thank you for the response!

edited June 2018

A few more changes.  Used Carrara's ability to morph in posed position to make some adjustments to some joints and the expression.  Made some adjustments to Fred's shader to reduce the shine and increase the grain.  Played a little more with lighting as per EP's suggestion.

Going to enter this and then concentrate on the scene where they steal the naughty lists.

rr01 final setup.JPG
    1837 x 953 - 189K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Looks terrific, EP.  Thanks for the blow-by-blow.  I definitely like the brightness of the light.

Stezza said:

Wonderful aviator, Stezza, and nice use of light gel.  Is this a self-portrait? :)

Vyusur said:

Nicely done Vyusur, and good to see David 5.  How did you do the light streams?  Always a treat (for me) to see a well-done non-postworked entry.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2018
    Diomede said:

I like this pose and lighting a LOT better than the previous ones you did of this character, Diomede.  I wish the cigarette had some smoke to help identify it easier, and also with that the hat brim and glass were slightly more visible.

I also really liked the Pete Rose image.  Did you morph that yourself?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2018

Another category - pinup/portrait

Pinup Steal Uniform 01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835

awesome image @diomede

dunno why but when I first saw it I thought that Rudolph was getting stuffed into the bag!.... 

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Thanks, UB, Stezza, and Selina.  

UB, I will give thought to some smoke for the cigarette. The Pete Rose image was created with dial spun morphs.  

Stezza, that IS Rudolph getting stuffed in the bag.  You mean it doesn't look like that anyomre? wink

edited June 2018

Here is the B&W version.  (GMIC B&W)

Pinup Steal Uniform 02.png
    1600 x 1200 - 721K
    edited June 2018

Some minor changes (making sure some props are on the ground, a morph to correct a joint or two, that sort of thing.)

The required scene setup.  Have a fake global illumination setup with duplicated and rotated distance lights.  Sky is a bigradient in the scene backdrop tab.  Landscape is a Carrara terrain.

rr02 scene setup for pinup.JPG
    1756 x 988 - 245K
    Diomede said:

Some minor changes (making sure some props are on the ground, a morph to correct a joint or two, that sort of thing.)

i think the tree and the rock poking him?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

For this image i wanted V4 in sitting position so used the VWD Cloth simulator and Philamos Carrara plugin to drape the dress.

Works really well - here are sequence shots showing drape progress - very messy in places but alls well tha ends well - as they say wink

If you have not used the simulator before its always best to start with character in T pose and run a few frames before starting the animation.

This gives time for fabric to settle on figure - I used a 1second animation 15fps then for a still image you just render the final frame.

Pose 1.png
    640 x 480 - 37K
    Pose 2.png
    640 x 480 - 32K
    Pose 3.png
    640 x 480 - 35K
    Pose 4.png
    640 x 480 - 38K
    Pose 5.png
    640 x 480 - 45K
    Pose 6.png
    640 x 480 - 39K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

So, I've been going back and forth with my Nior Fetale picture. I really like the warmth and the way the colors pop in the Technicolor style transfer version, but this black and white with only the bra and panties having color is striking. I also added a vignette and gave it a bit of a sepia tint. Which do you all think is better?

Hi evil well you are really on a roll!! I like the sepia best, but both are tom terrific