Transferring Morphs from Genesis to G2M/G2F and from G2M/G2F to Genesis (Now with Clones!)

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2013

Is every morph going to use every available bit of resolution there? No. A lot of them are made to be flexible, and useful in combination, because if all of them had hyper-detailing, and you tried to dial up said morph with another hyper-detailed body morph, then those details would begin to clash against each other; a war of higher frequency changes. Would you like me to try and make you an Elf ear you cant transfer well?

I can made it myself, but thank you. The question was how elf ears from head morphs would transfer from G2F back to Genesis, and I put a picture to show how. There is no Gen-X involved and I found that slight loss of sharpness with those morphs can be set to almost zero if not eliminated at all if you dial initial morph around 102-105% before reimport to Genesis.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

OK I've come up with a process that can work for me if I can figure out how to get the autofit clones to work for the custom saved Figure that has all the genesis 1 morphs. If anyone could help me figure out how to get that to work that would be great.

I'm not sure if I need to find a way to make the shape a DSF (probably) and then maybe I could copy the templates from genesis 2 to this new DSF folder.

Both Kattey's and Bens methods have advantages. Kattey's allows you to pick just the shapes you want and have them in your default genesis 2, autofit works fine for this.

Bens gives you a different figure that has ALL the morphs but autofit doesn't work. At least not for me yet.

It seams that post transfer options Content Type needs to be checked (active) in transfer utility in order for auto-fit to work on G2F after the transfer.

Clip.jpg
    493 x 628 - 126K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    RAMWolff said:
    I use the Cinema 4D settings for export and import from ZBrush. It's the one setting that matches ZB's import and export the best.

How do you set it in ZBrush? I know it is a nooby question but I can't find those options in my ZBrush 4r5.

larsmidnatt, I"m glad to see it working for you :) A cute picture.

Hi Kattey,

Do you mean the GoZ plugin settings? Under prefs> GoZ and tell it to search for DAZ Studio if it can't find it.

As for the Cinema 4D setting, it's really the native setting for ZB so you don't have to set up anything for using that.

edited December 1969

The JPG analogy is pretty accurate; it loses some fidelity here and there. You can transfer from V4 using GenX to a mesh (Genesis) nearly a quarter of its resolution and it looks just like a smoother version of the same basic volume. That's the basic nature of low frequency detail vs high frequency. And it's extremely easy to spot low frequency changes, and it gets harder to spot high ones.

There are a lot of considerations about modeling and you want a cage which achieves what you want, but doesn't go overboard. Because extra points? They equal extra use of resident memory (your RAM, not the hard-drive) it has to store extra values for every added vertice, for weight rigging, morphs, UVs, etc. So a balance has to be struck, between adding density, changing what's there, and being realistic. So while I could've crammed a ton of extra polygons in there, I'm mindful not to do so.

Is every morph going to use every available bit of resolution there? No. A lot of them are made to be flexible, and useful in combination, because if all of them had hyper-detailing, and you tried to dial up said morph with another hyper-detailed body morph, then those details would begin to clash against each other; a war of higher frequency changes. Would you like me to try and make you an Elf ear you cant transfer well?

Yup, totally agree with you there ML! When I was getting my head around making morphs in ZBrush the heavier detail I created and then tried to dial in additional morphs once back in DS they looked really sharp and ugly!

edited December 1969

Before I left for work I did try some of the fantasy shapes and found that the 3 finger morph and the toe morphs on the Troll did NOT come over well at all, doesn't matter who's tutorial I tried. My own 3 finger and 4 toed morphs are a bust as well. Fuzzy head morph came over pretty well so I'm happy about that! :-)

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Hi all......... I used the quick and easy method that is somewhere on this thread......Clone Genesis version. Saved as a scene subset for now.......not confident in editing anything in a text editor just yet so will use from the scene file for now.

I have to say if you haven't yet up-graded to Studio 4.6 you are missing out on some huge improvements in the transfer utility and auto-fit......I did a quick morph on G2F......adjusted rigging to shape.......slapped a G2F pose on it......then I loaded a dress that I'm working on for G2F/V6..........dialed up the corresponding pose morph on the dress.......and I am absolutely thrilled and astounded at the result.

I can tell you..........I had my doubts about the new Genesis figure........I am completely SOLD on the whole deal now.......all I can say is WOW!

My_Teen_Morph.jpg
    500 x 650 - 167K
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    *Evil Grin* I went the opposite way and made a G2 morph for Genesis, *points at pic* which one is which ? ROFL

still got a bit of rig fixing to do as the bones don't quite match up.

Oh I would really like to do that as well.......I did manage to do the Genesis1 morph for G2F, but how do I do the other way around?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Before I left for work I did try some of the fantasy shapes and found that the 3 finger morph and the toe morphs on the Troll did NOT come over well at all, doesn't matter who's tutorial I tried. My own 3 finger and 4 toed morphs are a bust as well. Fuzzy head morph came over pretty well so I'm happy about that! :-)
    I didn't look into three fingers and such morphs specifically, but I wonder if it is that because ERC are involved to large degree.

Do you mean the GoZ plugin settings? Under prefs> GoZ and tell it to search for DAZ Studio if it can’t find it.
    As for the Cinema 4D setting, it’s really the native setting for ZB so you don’t have to set up anything for using that.

No, my GoZ is working well, it just doesn't save at proper scale, - if anything, export scale looks very random from my end here.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

It seams that post transfer options Content Type needs to be checked (active) in transfer utility in order for auto-fit to work on G2F after the transfer.

Thanks much again. you chose a great time to become active in the forum. I was to see that your first post in this thread was your first post on the forums. Glad you kept coming back.

I had originally set the content type to actor in the meta data, but not during the transfer. Thanks, trying that now.

edited December 1969

I have that option grayed out. Could it be because I don't have CMS installed?
    edited June 2013

Thanks ben but I don't think this works. Have you been able to pick a clothing type when you did autofit?

I tried it again, twice to make sure. I still don't see the autofit options showing up. Yes I get to pick Genesis or V4/V4 skirt as the source, but I don't get to pick the content type. So this is the same as I was before. I don't think it is required to pick content type as actor in the TU, you can pick that option when you save the figure asset and I think it does the same thing. (though if you do it in the TU, you won't have to do it when you save file as it will already be set properly)

So our saved figure still doesn't know how to use the projection templates. This is a problem for shoes, for sure. I think some clothing types wont matter because I typically leave the content type set to none unless it's shoes or dresses anyway.

But I can use the work around method for now. So it's not a total bust.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited June 2013

Got Genesis working with G2F rigging and weight maps, default shape is Genesis too.
    Autofit fits most of the clothes, G2F and M4 (in this example), but has problems with native Genesis clothes because rerigged Genesis isn't, strictly speaking, Genesis 1 anymore, more like 1.5, but Autofit still it is, so it doesn't prompt. Any ideas how to correct it?

Still, Genesis 1.5 retained all morphs and UVs, but bends like G2F so for half-dressed renders when a better bending is noticeable, it would work. For fully clothed figure, when better bending isn't needed that much noticeable, original Genesis is fine for me and in all other respects (morphs, UVs, autofit clones) figures are same. For rerigged Genesis autofit itself is a curious combination of G2F and native Genesis autofits with tops better working through G2F autofit and pants through Genesis'. Both G2F and Genesis poses on rerigged version will need some small adjustments because bones are sort of in-between G2F and Genesis rig.

In this case M4 clothes (Dancar pants and Euros top) on rerigged Genesis had to have some smoothing/collision applied, but small one, around 2-9, which in this particular case, in my opinion, is even beneficial because M3 morph has some non-smooth legs and for looser fabric to repeat it that much is somewhat strange.
    Original Genesis with M4 autofit on right, rerigged Genesis with M4 autofit on left. M3 Iconic morph around 80% on both.

I'll see if it can be done better.

DoublePantsFront.jpg
    1087 x 928 - 218K
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

What would be the advantage of Genesis 1.5 (new rigging) over Genesis 2? Just the support for gen4 textures? As a proof of concept, it's interesting, but given the way AutoFit mangles custom rigging of long skirts, etc, I'd rather not lose the ability to wear Genesis content.

edited June 2013

zigraphix said:
    What would be the advantage of Genesis 1.5 (new rigging) over Genesis 2? Just the support for gen4 textures? As a proof of concept, it's interesting, but given the way AutoFit mangles custom rigging of long skirts, etc, I'd rather not lose the ability to wear Genesis content.

I'm trying to see if I can fix native Genesis conforming. As G2F already has Genesis autofit I believe there should be a way; my main problem now is that I can't get a autofit prompt at all.
    For me benefits that 1) I work with unisex base 2) I don't need to transfer all morphs (lots and lots of them, many of which, creatures especially, have adjusted ERCs) to G2F (while G2F expressions are smaller in number and relatively easier to transfer back) 3) I keep Generation 3 and Generation 4 autofits along with all Genesis UVs with a large degree of comfort and usability which for me is important because I use male clothes a lot 4) when joints are exposed it bends like G2F and has G2F toes.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited June 2013

Pheww, Kattey to the rescue, thank you.

Thanks to Katteys prompt reminder, please ignore text inside --- ----. Its partially incorrect.. Or dont and rofl. :D

And if somebody tryed to verify that, thank you for verifying my temporary ( I hope :D) sillyness. Anndd in trying to verify Katteys reminder, I managed to unintentionally uninstall G1 base instead of G2 base. And than uninstall G2 base. And dont try that at home. :D

So I got myself a fresh start after all. :D

Oh, and if after all that morph transfering your original, "clean" Daz G2F from smart content loads with G1 morphs already in parameters tab/actor, well ..thats that. :D

---- OK, most important thing first. I was trying to get a clean start to test autofit thing, so i uninstalled G2F base, checked that it is no longer in DAZ Studio, than install it again. After loading it in scene, under parameters tab - actor, all G1 morphs ware already there without me doing any transfers.

Can somebody please verify this by uninstaling G2F base and instaling it again. If it is the same for you too, I apologize for misleading you into waste of time and effort. ----

Post edited by ben98120000 on
    edited December 1969

When you uninstall things, it deletes only things that came with initial package - as your transferred morphs were added later, they aren't deleted by uninstall. To delete them go to
    data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs and look for all morphs that bear the names of transferred morphs. You can move them away from this folder and see if G2F no longer has them.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    RAMWolff said:
    I didn't look into three fingers and such morphs specifically, but I wonder if it is that because ERC are involved to large degree.

Do you mean the GoZ plugin settings? Under prefs> GoZ and tell it to search for DAZ Studio if it can’t find it.
    As for the Cinema 4D setting, it’s really the native setting for ZB so you don’t have to set up anything for using that.

No, my GoZ is working well, it just doesn't save at proper scale, - if anything, export scale looks very random from my end here.

Nope, not the ERC exactly. I think they said they added extra polygons to the mesh and that was one of the areas so it makes sense that those areas wouldn't morph the way they were intended to morph. The pinky is what is usually made to "go away" but instead, from what I've seen so far it just gets a bit skinnier and smaller.

Using the Cinema 4D export works perfectly every time for me between ZBrush if I have to export as an OBJ from ZB to use in DAZ Studio. Just make sure your IMPORT is set to the same Cinema 4D and it will be just fine.

edited December 1969

Thanks much again. you chose a great time to become active in the forum. I was to see that your first post in this thread was your first post on the forums. Glad you kept coming back.

I had originally set the content type to actor in the meta data, but not during the transfer. Thanks, trying that now.

Open up each morph you want to save out and you will see on the lower right side of the dialog a check box for Auto Follow. Check that before saving out. Most morphs have that set automatically but some do not, my findings anyway!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

I have that option grayed out. Could it be because I don't have CMS installed?

Yes, Content Type is saved in the CMS database.

edited December 1969

Pretty happy now. Figuring things out.

This is my Female-SlenderAthletic morph. One of the new ones that will be included in the pack when I'm ready to release. All of the Female Shapes are newly updated (AGAIN).

Looks pretty good. The poses will have to be tweaked since they are all made for V6 and her body shape is quite different than mine.

Female-SlenderAthletic.jpg
    1093 x 914 - 281K
    edited June 2013

RAMWolff said:

Open up each morph you want to save out and you will see on the lower right side of the dialog a check box for Auto Follow. Check that before saving out. Most morphs have that set automatically but some do not, my findings anyway!

thanks but i think this is unrelated. the issue isnt about morphs, its about DS showing me projection templates when I try to autofit to a figure.

I'll attach screen. I know that genesis/genesis2 have a bunch of templates in their data folder, but I wouldn't know how to give those templates to my genesis 2 custom figure.

EDIT: Im on to something...

blank.jpg
    750 x 411 - 201K
    edited December 1969

Ah, sorry...

edited June 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Ah, sorry...

Thanks for trying, and thanks for getting me thinking.

I figured it out. I copied the projection templates and tools folder from Genesis 2 -female to my data folder that has my custom figure. Now I see templates, and they actually work just like they should!

Will add to my most recent post.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited June 2013

For aging morphs would we do the each morph seperately, if so, can u use morph loader to transfer all of them at once? I tried the method by ben98120000 but the posing does funky things to the body

image.jpg
    844 x 881 - 137K
    Post edited by Dkgoose on
    edited June 2013

dkgoose said:
    For aging morphs would we do the each morph seperately, if so, can u use morph loader to transfer all of them at once? I tried the method by ben98120000 but the posing does funky things to the body

Were you sure to pick Target = Clone Genesis or Morph Genesis when using the transfer utility? I only saw that problem when I left it set to default.

Steps to Get projection templates to work for your Custom Genesis 2 Figure:

1. You will have needed to follow Ben's steps and saved your custom figure. Hopefully you named it properly, so you could find it easily.
    For example I use my name Lars Midnatt as the vendor name so I can always find my stuff. I named the Figure/Item Genesis 2 Morphs Plus, the product was Genesis 2 Morphs plus June 23. I did this because I may need to do this again in the future and this helps me, but the date is obviously optional.

2. You will now copy the projection templates from the base Genesis 2 figure. Using windows explorer (or finder on the mac, I assume this works on Mac) navigate to DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female inside your content library

3. Copy Both the Projection templates and Tools folders (you need both trust me)

4. Now you will need to Navigate to where your DSF file is saved. NOT THE DUF. Depending on how you named it will be in a different location but mine was in \DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\Lars Midnatt\Genesis 2 Morphs Plus June 23\Genesis 2 Morphs Plus

5. Paste the projection templates and tools folders here. You should already see a folder for Morphs and UV sets as well as a dsf file.

6. Projection templates should now work on your custom Genesis 2 figure.

Hope this helps!

edited December 1969

I chose morph then selected the basic genesis shape I made using kat try's tutorial, also, sorry if my image size is wrong, wasn't sure if smaller dimensions were ok or if they had to be exact

edited June 2013

dkgoose said:
    I chose morph then selected the basic genesis shape I made using kat try's tutorial, also, sorry if my image size is wrong, wasn't sure if smaller dimensions were ok or if they had to be exact

When I do bens method I use the default genesis clone shape, not the one I made myself. I do think this matters.

Edit: Also are you saving as a figure asset, and loading that? If you skip that step I don't think it works as well as it could.

edited June 2013

I redid it using that method, the poses are still off, but not as bad with other characters, they are worse with the aging morphs, I think I'm gonna use kattey's way for full morphs and genx when it's updated for the rest, and hopefully the new genx will also help with the scaling, and I'll just buy the aging morphs for genesis 2 if zev0 releases one for them

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

Kattey and other contributors to this thread,
    Thank you so much for explaining how to use the G1 morphs on G2. I have Julie, Victoria 5, and Stephanie 5 morphs for Genesis 2 now. Here is my result after using the new morphs on Genesis 2 Female.

Original genesis 1.0
    Julie 0.5
    V5 0.25
    S5 0.25

She has autofit Daiquiri Dress for V4, Necklace from Onyx for Genesis Female, and Pure Hair Crazy for Genesis.

Genesis_2_Julie_V5_S5_blonde.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 676K
    edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    I redid it using that method, the poses are still off, but not as bad with other characters, they are worse with the aging morphs, I think I'm gonna use kattey's way for full morphs and genx when it's updated for the rest, and hopefully the new genx will also help with the scaling, and I'll just buy the aging morphs for genesis 2 if zev0 releases one for them

Sorry to hear that :( I'm not having any problems myself. I don't think that age morphs would need to have the figure rigging adjusted doesn't seem like it since I would think they only change the skin ( i think).

Do the age morphs change the figure shape at all, other than the surface of the skin? would they change the figure enough where the bones would not be aligned anymore?