CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

I sure wish they would fix this forum so when you reply to a thread, it kicks that thread back up to the top again, this is one sure way for us to lose track of our thread as it gets lost in the eventual sea of threads!

Heres one I did yesterday, I may have to do some work on my computer, as the hard drive is filling up for some reason, without that much being downloaded, so I may end up having to reformat, never a good thing in my opinion!

dark_princess001.jpg
    800 x 473 - 229K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2012

betsy662 said:
    I sure wish they would fix this forum so when you reply to a thread, it kicks that thread back up to the top again, this is one sure way for us to lose track of our thread as it gets lost in the eventual sea of threads!

Heres one I did yesterday, I may have to do some work on my computer, as the hard drive is filling up for some reason, without that much being downloaded, so I may end up having to reformat, never a good thing in my opinion!

Nice Woody, is that the Daz woody, or another one?

I'm with ya on the thread thing. We were always on page one before, now I have folks pm me for our whereabouts. I think that threads that get a lot of hits (and we have already gone way over 100 pages to phase II), deserve to be up front. Just doesn't seem smart to get bumped way back by a thread that may not even get three replies. Nope, not smart at all.

Sounds like you need to do three things with your pooter.
    1 - Wash browser cache, it stores every single site you visit with cookies and junk. It will slow your browser down.
    2 - Registry wash, your registry gets full of things you use and delete making them no longer valid, it needs washing from time to time.
    3 - Defragment your hard drive. This will take stray clusters of bytes that are out of place, and put them back in place, giving you more room and making your pooter much faster.

You can do all of this from your control panel under system and maintanence, and under network and internet. You can even set it up to do it regularly on it's own. That's what mine does. I also have System Mechanic which is awesome. It will run and clean out junk you don't want or need while your pooter is idle and not being used. You can get it almost anywhere like Walmart. Very affordable. Free updates even.

Also the Daz runtime will use a lot of space as you add to it, render and save scenes and such. I have all my DS content (including my runtimes) on a UBS side drive. It has like 500 gigs of space and was only like $69.00 on sale. It was a life saver. Just put all your content folders on it and direct your DS to go there for all your stuff. This way, your DS program is on your main drive, but your stuff is not. This will also protect all your runtime in case you loose your hard drive due to a virus, or other reason. Just get a new hard drive, then plug the side drive back in and bang...there is all your Daz and runtime all in place. Will save you hours and hours of reinstalling all your content.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

Thats the old DAZ woodie, its still a pretty decent car, might not be able to use it now that I did have to finally break down and reformat the hard drive, I had already done all that other stuff, cleared the cache, uninstalled a million different things, while that all worked for awhile, seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere, now I have plenty of room to work with,

Some of my geek friends and I figured that I picked up a piggybacker somewhere, and someone was storing their crap on my hard drive, it was either that or the hard drive was going bad, there really wasn't any indication of that, and considering that its working now as its supposed to, lets face, hard drives don't just fill up for no reason, could be that over the past couple of years, that I had downloaded so much, and in many cases, especially some of this stuff from DAZ, that the comp was just getting progressively worse, as for defraging, I do that every week, sometimes two or three times a week, so that certainly wasn't the issue, and unlike the old dayz when you had to go in and clear out the registry on occasion, the registry doesn't really work that way much anymore, and anything in there would have little effect on what the comp is doing.

I can honestly say now that my comp is running better than the DAZ website, thats for sure! LOL

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Thats the old DAZ woodie, its still a pretty decent car, might not be able to use it now that I did have to finally break down and reformat the hard drive, I had already done all that other stuff, cleared the cache, uninstalled a million different things, while that all worked for awhile, seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere, now I have plenty of room to work with,

Some of my geek friends and I figured that I picked up a piggybacker somewhere, and someone was storing their crap on my hard drive, it was either that or the hard drive was going bad, there really wasn't any indication of that, and considering that its working now as its supposed to, lets face, hard drives don't just fill up for no reason, could be that over the past couple of years, that I had downloaded so much, and in many cases, especially some of this stuff from DAZ, that the comp was just getting progressively worse, as for defraging, I do that every week, sometimes two or three times a week, so that certainly wasn't the issue, and unlike the old dayz when you had to go in and clear out the registry on occasion, the registry doesn't really work that way much anymore, and anything in there would have little effect on what the comp is doing.

I can honestly say now that my comp is running better than the DAZ website, thats for sure! LOL

I know that makes you happy. Nothing worse than a clogged up pooter...lol. Sometimes you just gotta do what is necessary and strip it, FDISK, format, partition and your off.

That old woody is a classic Daz model. I got it when it was first introduced, in the dinasour days...lol. Still holds up as a great car though.

edited December 1969

Its got a few holes in it though, the mesh could use a good reworking to bring it up to date, I haven't even downloaded Blender yet, I did go to download sketchup, and I'll be darned, its no longer Google Sketchup, but its called Trimble Sketchup, don't know if thats just a mirror site or not, but it sure doesn't look anything like Google!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Its got a few holes in it though, the mesh could use a good reworking to bring it up to date, I haven't even downloaded Blender yet, I did go to download sketchup, and I'll be darned, its no longer Google Sketchup, but its called Trimble Sketchup, don't know if thats just a mirror site or not, but it sure doesn't look anything like Google!

Yup, Google has sold sketchup to Trimble. See it here:

http://ww2.trimble.com/3d/

:-/

edited December 1969

I installed it, along with the obj exporter ruby, everything looks like it should, so I'll give it a try, hopefully it all works like it did before, next I'll install Blender.

edited June 2012

Well Betsy....it looks like it's just you and me left here. The thread will get pushed back more and more with time. That's such a shame since it is the only thread to hit 100 pages here ever. Now it will just get buried. So sad. I hate that. Anyway, I want to thank you for helping to keep this thread alive. Without your input and renders, it would have never hit phase II. You are a true car lover, as am I. If we had a real 49 Ford, perhaps we could take a ride in it...lol. Just wanted to say thanks friend.

:down:

edited December 1969

Thats cause it keeps gettin' pushed back, and not ending up where other folks can see it!

• edited December 1969

im still around but most times i cannot post anything because the new site is absolute crap
    im working on a 4 pack for the 34 and have a bit to finnish before its done 4 pack meaning 4 versions of the car\\

but as of now im still waiting for the dissolusion of daz and all of their softwares before i release anything
    with the major issues in the forums and the lack of qaulity in thier meshes i dont see many reasons to reinstall studio or any of DAzs products on my system

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited June 2012

I'm still here too. I haven't been posting anything because my desktop crapped out and I haven't installed a new hard drive in it yet. I'm currently using an Acer netbook with very limited memory and processor speed which makes it hard to do anything.

Plus, I also hate the new forums.

Post edited by Cherokee on
    edited December 1969

I'm with ya there Cherokee, I just reformatted my hard drive, so haven't doing much of anything but downloading and installing programs and reinstalling content, I too have my tablet, kept me in the loop alright, but it too has limited space and memory!

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited June 2012

betsy662 said:
    I'm with ya there Cherokee, I just reformatted my hard drive, so haven't doing much of anything but downloading and installing programs and reinstalling content, I too have my tablet, kept me in the loop alright, but it too has limited space and memory!

Yep, both tablets and netbooks do make it difficult to be able to do any rendering. I'm going to have to break down and get a new hard drive soon, I sure do miss working with the cars.

Post edited by Cherokee on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

Still around also and having problems doing anything with Daz's new mess

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

That is cool, thanks for the video link Robert.

Tablets, and I would imagine netbooks do have the capacity to add storage media, such as a flash drive, but there is no power there to run Poser or DAZ, I'll just bet however, since notebooks have been getting to the point of being just as big and powerful as any home PC, it won't be long before we start seeing things aiming that direction, nothing beats working with a big comp at home though!

edited December 1969

Well I finally got to where I can render again, (in other words, I finally have enough reloaded into DS4 that I can now make a scene!) , so here is one of my favorite newer cars, or is it a new "Old" car? O maybe it was new in 32?

1932_1.jpg
    800 x 492 - 59K
    1932.jpg
    800 x 492 - 68K
    edited December 1969

I've learned a lot about using the Nationale7 cars in DS4P, and am considering writing a tut about how to use these cars in DS, since the cars are basically made for Poser, and believe me, it shows if you try to use them in DS without the necessary parenting and painting!

• edited December 1969

slightly more work on the coupe and the roadster the truck and the sedan are next
    i still have to make motor and trans and the last bits but so far its what i have

twins1.jpg
    800 x 370 - 35K
    edited December 1969

Lookin' good SP!

edited December 1969

Heres a new one from Nationale7, if ya like Mack Trucks, this one looks pretty decent, can't afford it at the moment, and might be awhile before I can because I've had to call out sick from work, so it may take a couple of pay periods for me to catch back up to affording it, but for $20 it ain't bad!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94046

Full94046.jpg
    800 x 800 - 229K
    edited December 1969

My problem with the new site is minimal. I have to sign on everytime I come here, even though it asks if I want it to remember me. This is the only site I go to where it won't remember me. It gets annoying having to type my email addy and password each time....very! I am just glad it finally knows who I am and not asking me if I am all those different names it was calling me...lol.

I got a few older cars I have had I need to reload and jazz up a bit. I just haven't had the time this month. Been working hard at my clinic, and am hosting the annual summer fun and pinups in the challenge thread. I am just drained. I quit going into the challenge thread so much this month because so many folks were trying to get around my rules, just makes all the fun go away. I am about ready to give up on it. Been ok for over four years, until the new site and newbies came along, and all of a sudden...BOOM...all these problems arise, mostly from newbies bickering over what can be used and what can not be used, is it free or not, why the rules music?...etc. They just don't get it. Sheeesh. Makes it all very difficult.

:-/

edited December 1969

Hey Music, why all the rules? LOL, well, you know we were all newbies at one time or another, I've only been playing in DAZ Studio for just over 2 years now, so my newbie period may not even be over for all I know!

edited December 1969

Now that I can't seem to download my PaintDotNet anywhere without adding totally useless junk onto my computer, like toolbars for my browser I don't want and things of that nature, (somewhere I had picked up one program that makes youtube an absolute mess of nothing but ads, you have to actually uninstall a program I didn't even know that got installed!), so the postwork I used to do using Paint Dot Net is now having to be done using Irfanview and Gimp, Gimp I'm still trying to learn, seems its got a lot to offer, Irfanview has some bells and whistles, which works okay, but still not what I want in a photo editing program, however, I did manage to do some okay postwork in Irfanview.

Sweet_Sue001.jpg
    800 x 492 - 56K
    Sweet_Sue000.jpg
    800 x 492 - 60K
  • edited December 1969

ok a transport arrived today and i found out that my 34 mesh is all wrong
    ill restart from scratch tomorrow

i wish id have had the cars on hand earlier

and music i know the feeling about the new site, i absolutely hate it and so do most

betsy if you need it i know of a photoshop version named white rabbit that was free

edited December 1969

Thanks SP, I would be very happy to learn about that, just so long as there are no silent installers imbedded in the download, I don't use toolbars on my browser simply because most of them are spyware, and some are probably malware too!

What happened to your 34? It was looking pretty decent from what I could see.

edited December 1969

There are other ways of setting up some type of communication, either through another type of free forum, or through facebook, or even using the yahoogroups.

• edited December 1969

email direct tends to work best for me
    but it tends to limit the attatchments size
    adn white rabbit is a beta version for testing no add ons and no tripe

and the scaling on the 34 was way off unless you just wanted a chop job

in the mean time ill get it right and still release it asap

edited June 2012

betsy662 said:
    Now that I can't seem to download my PaintDotNet anywhere without adding totally useless junk onto my computer, like toolbars for my browser I don't want and things of that nature, (somewhere I had picked up one program that makes youtube an absolute mess of nothing but ads, you have to actually uninstall a program I didn't even know that got installed!), so the postwork I used to do using Paint Dot Net is now having to be done using Irfanview and Gimp, Gimp I'm still trying to learn, seems its got a lot to offer, Irfanview has some bells and whistles, which works okay, but still not what I want in a photo editing program, however, I did manage to do some okay postwork in Irfanview.

I love the headlights on this truck. They actually look like headlights. However, I would have to get rid of that empty tag plate. That messes up the front view.

edited December 1969

The stock headlights do look good also, however I used Schurby's shader preset for his 65 GTO on this particular version, since I had to extract the obj and make it workable in DAZ, most of Dreamlands cars work fine with shaders in DS, but this 51 Panel didn't do so well, and it was even worse, thankfully he actually makes an obj of his cars, or it would have been a real mess for me to fix.

This discussion has been closed.