Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• barbult said:

I am having a specific problem with an .obj cloth object ex Marvellous designer (which works fabulously) in a sim with G3F. But if I add a geograft to G3F the same sim distorts by 10% of sim execution and explodes.

I have read all the manual stuff on Dforce and scanned through this thread and see a reference to geograft problem in known issues:

"Any surface that is a collision object ("Static Surface") OR a "Dynamic Surface" with a Simulation > Structure > Dynamics Strength (or "dForce Simulation::Influence Weights" map) that causes a vertex to have a simulation strength of less than 1 (100%) AND has "floating" vertices (vertices that exist in the geometry but do not participate in any of its faces) or faces that are not visible to the simulation (via Visible or Visible in Simulation), does not have its animated position updated during a simulation (fixed in Daz Studio 4.10.0.108 - dForce 1.0.0.18)

• This is the cause of issues with Geo-Grafting
    • This is the cause of issues with hiding geometry associated with nodes of a figure

Is there any other info/thread on how to work around this?

Try using the current Public Beta, which has the fix mentioned in the quote.

Yes Richard. I happened to have a scene experiencing the geo-graft problem open at the time I got your message. I saved it - downloaded the current public beta - reopened and the sim is running perfectly.

On another note are you aware of any threads referring to getting DForce cothing into iclone 7? G2 G3 and G8 all import beautifully - but clothing other than conforming skin fit is not available.

That sim of MDcloth.obj running on 60 frame G3Fanimation ran perfectly until last few frames. Then exposion. I think though the blow up was caused by the cloth being pushed through a stool where the butt of the G3F settles into the seat in the pose. I set the stool as a static surface. Maybe this is a mistake. Is there a procedure to enable simulation of dynamic surface meeting a solid object?

You need to pose the character so there is a gap between her butt and the stool, so the fabric has some place to fit between them.

But since the sitting pose needs to be indented into the stool cushion is there a way of using some dynamic indentation tool like bullet physics? and dynamic simulation simultaneously or for that matter sequentially?

• barbult said:

I am having a specific problem with an .obj cloth object ex Marvellous designer (which works fabulously) in a sim with G3F. But if I add a geograft to G3F the same sim distorts by 10% of sim execution and explodes.

I have read all the manual stuff on Dforce and scanned through this thread and see a reference to geograft problem in known issues:

"Any surface that is a collision object ("Static Surface") OR a "Dynamic Surface" with a Simulation > Structure > Dynamics Strength (or "dForce Simulation::Influence Weights" map) that causes a vertex to have a simulation strength of less than 1 (100%) AND has "floating" vertices (vertices that exist in the geometry but do not participate in any of its faces) or faces that are not visible to the simulation (via Visible or Visible in Simulation), does not have its animated position updated during a simulation (fixed in Daz Studio 4.10.0.108 - dForce 1.0.0.18)

• This is the cause of issues with hiding geometry associated with nodes of a figure

Yes Richard. I happened to have a scene experiencing the geo-graft problem open at the time I got your message. I saved it - downloaded the current public beta - reopened and the sim is running perfectly.

On another note are you aware of any threads referring to getting DForce cothing into iclone 7? G2 G3 and G8 all import beautifully - but clothing other than conforming skin fit is not available.

That sim of MDcloth.obj running on 60 frame G3Fanimation ran perfectly until last few frames. Then exposion. I think though the blow up was caused by the cloth being pushed through a stool where the butt of the G3F settles into the seat in the pose. I set the stool as a static surface. Maybe this is a mistake. Is there a procedure to enable simulation of dynamic surface meeting a solid object?

You need to pose the character so there is a gap between her butt and the stool, so the fabric has some place to fit between them.

But since the sitting pose needs to be indented into the stool cushion is there a way of using some dynamic indentation tool like bullet physics? and dynamic simulation simultaneously or for that matter sequentially?

No (or not yet, Daz has said this cloth simulation is only the first step). You could use a dForm or other tool to pre-indent the stool, however.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826

You may be able to do this in two steps: add a dynamic modifier to the chair's cushions, set gravity to -0.10, run the simulation, then freeze the simulation on the chair (whether this would work depends upon how the chair was constructed - best if the cushion is a separate mesh. I used negative gravity to lay a figure's head into a pillow). After this, raise the figure slightly and now try draping the clothing.

• barbult said:

No (or not yet, Daz has said this cloth simulation is only the first step). You could use a dForm or other tool to pre-indent the stool, however.

Could you briefly explain the steps to perform the Dform indentation please?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    sapat said:

What is MDcloth.obj?  Is that a test file we can download from somewhere? Thanks.

MD cloth .obj in this case is a piece of clothing I made in Marvellous Designer https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/overview - so not a test file/

LOL, my bad. Ok, sorry.....cheeky

• barbult said:

Could you briefly explain the steps to perform the Dform indentation please?

That rather depends on the model, and on how precisely you wish to mimic reality. At the simplest select the stool and Create>New dForm, which will parent the dForm to the stool. Select the Field and scale/potion it so you get the vertices on the stool seat showing green-red with the erst of the stool not showing any effect, then expand the base, select the dForm node itself, and translate it down a bit to generate the dent.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

here a little something with the Freebee from Gaodan

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/gaodan-dress-13-for-genesis-3-female-s-/75683

hahah I was WONDERING why that dress was trending over at the Rendo freebie page even though the dress had been out for over 2 years. Now I know why. lol :)

here a little something with the Freebee from Gaodan

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/gaodan-dress-13-for-genesis-3-female-s-/75683

hahah I was WONDERING why that dress was trending over at the Rendo freebie page even though the dress had been out for over 2 years. Now I know why. lol :)

Funny, right?  Wish I'd have waited a couple years and not bought it.  I can have it for free now.  Oh well...wink

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,016
    edited November 2017

... But the freebie dress is licensed for non-commercial use only.

Post edited by Artini on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Oh my gosh, I just realized that dForce means I can actually buy those pose sets (like 90% of them!) where the characters are always touching their sides, their legs, their arms, etc...  I used to not be able to buy them because they'd ALWAYS mess up with clothes, but now (in theory) if I apply dForce to the clothes they'll drape around the self-touching.

smiley

--  Morgan

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,140
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Oh my gosh, I just realized that dForce means I can actually buy those pose sets (like 90% of them!) where the characters are always touching their sides, their legs, their arms, etc...  I used to not be able to buy them because they'd ALWAYS mess up with clothes, but now (in theory) if I apply dForce to the clothes they'll drape around the self-touching.

smiley

--  Morgan

Actually you need to be careful when hands contact other parts of the body with dForce. It can result in the hand pushing the fabric into the body, or worse, a complete explosion of the fabric.  It is best to adjust the pose so that the hand does not actually make contact so that the fabric has a small space to sit between the hand and the body. It's a similar situation to the sitting issue that is being discussed above.

edited November 2017

Another experiment with dForce and the pillow.

Will need to further refine that scene.

dr01Clarke02sim01run04pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 456K
    Post edited by Artini on
    PhilW said:
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

smiley

--  Morgan

Actually you need to be careful when hands contact other parts of the body with dForce. It can result in the hand pushing the fabric into the body, or worse, a complete explosion of the fabric.  It is best to adjust the pose so that the hand does not actually make contact so that the fabric has a small space to sit between the hand and the body. It's a similar situation to the sitting issue that is being discussed above.

I had DS completely shut down to the desktop without warning the other day when I forgot to move the hand off the hip slightly to clear the cloth.  Started the sim, then bam. Shut down.

Artini said:

Another experiment with dForce and the pillow.

Will need to further refine that scene.

Looks really good and the pillowcase edges are nice the way they are falling. 

edited November 2017

Thanks, Sapat. I am trying to create a weight map for the pillow,

that allows the character volume to interact with the pillow during simulation.

Post edited by Artini on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Does it not work on Genesis 2 or older?

I just tried to Dforce on  Platinum Cocktail with Victoria 6, https://www.daz3d.com/platinum-cocktail-for-genesis-2-females it simply did not work at all. It just ran 1% then DAZ froze.

• Hera said:

I just tried to Dforce on  Platinum Cocktail with Victoria 6, https://www.daz3d.com/platinum-cocktail-for-genesis-2-females it simply did not work at all. It just ran 1% then DAZ froze.

That will depend on the clothing, not the figure it was made for.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    Hera said:

That will depend on the clothing, not the figure it was made for.

So what does that really mean? That Plat Coctail does not work? How do I see that before starting? Can I even do that or is it a trial and error thing?

• At this point, yes it may be trial and error for most. In some cases I think some more experienced users may be able to take a look at a mesh and know what might indicate a problem, but that is also the reason for this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/207066/dforce-verified-functional-clothing-out-of-the-box/p1 to discuss items that others have already tried. I do not have that specific dress to also try to see if I get different results. I occaisionally would get crashes on one try, then after restarting and checking that there isn't anything in the background using a lot of memory, have the same item drape sucessfully.

edited November 2017

Coven gown simulated with dForce on Olympia 6. Changed to iray shaders, because the original material was too dark.

https://www.daz3d.com/coven

https://www.daz3d.com/olympia-for-genesis-2-female

Coven02sim02ok01sc03pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 208K
    Coven02sim02ok01sc02pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 192K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2017

With more extreme pose, the gown begins to look no so good (on the lower part of it).

Coven02sim06so01pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 226K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

With more extreme pose, the gown begins to look no so good (on the lower part of it).

Agreed it starts to lose integrity, but with the other poses it seems to hold up. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,361
    Artini said:

Real fabric wouldn't stretch that far either.

barbult said:
    Artini said:

Real fabric wouldn't stretch that far either.

LOL, yep, there would be that embarrassing moment when you've lost coverage in an area where you need it!  blush

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2017
    Hera said:

If I recall correctly, Platinum Cocktail consists of two parts, a lace dress and an opaque slip. It could be that during the simulation, they intersect. If you simply applied the dForce modifier, both parts would have the same "Collision Layer" designation. Setting the dress to a higher layer might make them work together. I've got some other ideas, too. I have that dress. I'll give it a try and get back to you here.

Post edited by L'Adair on

@Hera, I found the problem with the Platinum Cocktail dress. The slip drapes without any issues. It's the dress that is exploding on you.

The dress has three material zones: DressFabric, Sleeves, and ZipperPuller. The ZipperPuller is the culprit. Remove it from the simulation, and the dress drapes without issue. I simply set Visible in Simulation to off and was able to drape the dress.

I left Collision Layer at "1" for the slip and set Collision Layer to "5" for the dress. Not sure if that was necessary. I tested the drape with Self-Collide both "Off" and "On" and it still worked. Self-Collide "Off" produced a nicer result.

I did all my testing with G2F in the T-Pose as the skirt of the dress and slip are not conforming. I have not tested an actual pose, but I am assuming it will be necessary to set Frames To Simulate to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)" (In the Simulation Settings,) to get this outfit to drape with a posed figure. I'll try that next, but I wanted to get back to you right away about the ZipperPuller.

• L'Adair said:
    I did all my testing with G2F in the T-Pose as the skirt of the dress and slip are not conforming. I have not tested an actual pose, but I am assuming it will be necessary to set Frames To Simulate to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)" (In the Simulation Settings,) to get this outfit to drape with a posed figure.

If the memorised pose (which is often the A or T zero pose if you haven't changed it) fits the dress then drape from memorised pose should also work.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I may have missed if this was commented on elsewhere, but it seems (and I haven't done any sort of imperical testing with say the MFD or anything) that the drape proccesses faster with older figures.  At least it seems that G2 proccesses faster than G3 which is faster than G8...

Anyone else notice this?  Or is it just a weird conicidence based on what I'm testing with each figure?

I may have missed if this was commented on elsewhere, but it seems (and I haven't done any sort of imperical testing with say the MFD or anything) that the drape proccesses faster with older figures.  At least it seems that G2 proccesses faster than G3 which is faster than G8...

Anyone else notice this?  Or is it just a weird conicidence based on what I'm testing with each figure?

I haven't noticed, but I wasn't looking for it, either. To be sure it's the figure, you would need to use the same clothing. But then there is the potetial issue of time differences caused by fitting the clothing of one generation to another. Regardless, I'll pay more attention to the simulation time now. lol

L'Adair said:
    I did all my testing with G2F in the T-Pose as the skirt of the dress and slip are not conforming. I have not tested an actual pose, but I am assuming it will be necessary to set Frames To Simulate to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)" (In the Simulation Settings,) to get this outfit to drape with a posed figure.

If the memorised pose (which is often the A or T zero pose if you haven't changed it) fits the dress then drape from memorised pose should also work.

I hadn't thought of that. lol... However, I'm sure it would also depend on the pose. The pose I wanted to use would have had the hands passing through the dress. Won't that cause an explosion, too?

Anyway, I did some renders of the Platinum Cocktail after posed.

This is G2F Base Female:

Platinum Cocktail on G2F Base Female

This is with the default dForce material settings, except with Self Collide Off, (and the ZipperPuller hidden.) I used the Animated setting for Frames to Simulate, 61 frames. Frame 0 is T-Pose. Frame 30 is target pose with modifications to the arms with them up and out a short way from the body and each other. Frame 60 is the target pose, with the shoe pose applied and foot rotations set back to match the target pose.

If I were using this in a scene, I would use weight maps to secure the sholder straps a bit more firmly in place for both the slip and dress. I would also lower the weight a bit around the neckline of both. And I would lower the Dynamic Strength of the dress to .9 or .8.

On the back, there is an issue with the "zipper". Unless you need the back of the dress showing, I'd just ignore it. Here's a closeup:

The ZipperPuller and "Zipper" after simulation.

The "zipper" doesn't seem to distort much, if at all, from the Upper Abdomen down. But distortion gets worse the further up the zipper goes, doubling it's width at the neckline. The ZipperPuller, made invisible to the simulation, has moved to the left and down. If the dress is going to be seen from the back, weight mapping can be used to lower or remove the influence of dForce from those polys.

Finally, here is a side-by-side comparison of the same dress and pose on Lilith 6, G2 Base Female and Teen Josie 6. The arms would need some adjustments for Lilith 6 or Teen Josie 6 for this pose, but this gives you a nice comparison of how well the dress drapes on both a more ample figure and a less mature figure.

Side-By-Side of Lilith, G3F Base and Teen Josie 6 wearing the Platinum Cocktail dress