Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Artini said:

Please also be aware, that older generations clothes (older than Genesis) are most likely not weight mapped.

You cannot paint weightmap on such clothes and converting them to weightmapped, not always works well.

Another option is to use the Geoemtry Editor to create new surfaces. For example create a surface for the waistband and apply zero Dynamic Strength to that.

• y3kman said:
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Has anybody tried applying dforce to a bracelet, and then turning off nearly everything that makes it 'drape' so it's like a rigid obejct, but colliding with the character?  Is this even possible?

Similarly, could you take an apple model and drop it into a bowl of other fruit so it rests appropriately?

--  Morgan

I ddi try in a beta, not the latest version, without success: making it too rigid gives the spring energy of the simulation nowhere to go and - in my tests - the mesh explodes.

How does the engine determine if an object is a rigid body or not? I tried applying the dforce:dynamic modifier to a bracelet and it gets deformed but refuses to slide down. It stays anchored to the wrist. Adding the same modifier to primitive objects (eg. cone, cube, sphere) does nothing and they're not even affected by gravity. 

The engine doesn't (currently) do rigid bodies - it does dynamic surfaces (which drape) and static surfaces (which don't move at all). The idea was to set the stiffness so high that the item acted as if it was solid, while still obeying the law of simulated gravity - but in my couple of tests it really didn't work. I suspect your stuck bracelet is snagging on soemthing, not acting as if rigid; I'm not sure what the priomitive issue is as those I've tried have draped normally.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited November 2017
    Artini said:

Please also be aware, that older generations clothes (older than Genesis) are most likely not weight mapped.

You cannot paint weightmap on such clothes and converting them to weightmapped, not always works well.

Another option is to use the Geoemtry Editor to create new surfaces. For example create a surface for the waistband and apply zero Dynamic Strength to that.

As an alternative to setting Dynamic Strength to zero, you could try reducing the Contraction-Expansion Ratio to less than 100% which will have the effect trying to shrink the waistband, like adding elastic to it.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited November 2017
    Mayuka01Shirt01sim03ok03pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 493K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Simple render using the Bardot outfit that I think we got as part of the dforce essentials.  The model is Ella https://www.daz3d.com/ej-nina-and-ella-for-genesis-8-female  You might have to click to see full size. I just love her spunk, and I think the way the dress settled around her worked out.

©SuzeTx-Ella G8F-Bardot dforce outfit-resized-110317.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 237K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Artini said:

I've had some success by exporting the item as a Wavefront object, then importing it back in and using the transfer utility. I've also saved a number of basic items to my library where they are easy to find, and use those to "Transfer rigging (Figure Space)" (Or something like that. I haven't fired up the beast yet, and using old memory to remember names of things.) It also makes it easier to put an item on the figure, when you use the figure as the source in the Transfer Utility, and clothing for that figure to transfer rigging to your object.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    sapat said:

Simple render using the Bardot outfit that I think we got as part of the dforce essentials.  The model is Ella https://www.daz3d.com/ej-nina-and-ella-for-genesis-8-female  You might have to click to see full size. I just love her spunk, and I think the way the dress settled around her worked out.

That looks great.

barbult said:
    sapat said:

That looks great.

laugh Thanks!

edited November 2017

Shirt from https://www.daz3d.com/menswear-1930-for-m4

simulated over hexagonal column. Changed shaders to iray ones.

Probably will be looking better with "Self collide" set to on, but then, I just got simplosion.

a30Shirt01sim02ok03mat03pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 344K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Shirt from https://www.daz3d.com/menswear-1930-for-m4

simulated over hexagonal column. Changed shaders to iray ones.

Probably will be looking better with "Self collide" set to on, but then, I just got simplosion.

This looks good to me. 

• Note that there is a Collision Mode option in Simulation Settings, it iss et to better by default but in some case best may help with poke-through.

Thanks, Sapat.

Thanks for the tips, Richard.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I used it to make a tent. (inspired by a Mongolian ger)

That turned out really well. Great idea!

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited November 2017

here a little something with the Freebee from Gaodan

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/gaodan-dress-13-for-genesis-3-female-s-/75683

Lib_V2_mod.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 3M
    Post edited by Twilight76 on

here a little something with the Freebee from Gaodan

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/gaodan-dress-13-for-genesis-3-female-s-/75683

That's cute.  I bought it when it was in the store here.  Glad it works with dforce. 

• I am having a specific problem with an .obj cloth object ex Marvellous designer (which works fabulously) in a sim with G3F. But if I add a geograft to G3F the same sim distorts by 10% of sim execution and explodes.

I have read all the manual stuff on Dforce and scanned through this thread and see a reference to geograft problem in known issues:

"Any surface that is a collision object ("Static Surface") OR a "Dynamic Surface" with a Simulation > Structure > Dynamics Strength (or "dForce Simulation::Influence Weights" map) that causes a vertex to have a simulation strength of less than 1 (100%) AND has "floating" vertices (vertices that exist in the geometry but do not participate in any of its faces) or faces that are not visible to the simulation (via Visible or Visible in Simulation), does not have its animated position updated during a simulation (fixed in Daz Studio 4.10.0.108 - dForce 1.0.0.18)

• This is the cause of issues with Geo-Grafting
    • This is the cause of issues with hiding geometry associated with nodes of a figure

Is there any other info/thread on how to work around this?

• I am having a specific problem with an .obj cloth object ex Marvellous designer (which works fabulously) in a sim with G3F. But if I add a geograft to G3F the same sim distorts by 10% of sim execution and explodes.

I have read all the manual stuff on Dforce and scanned through this thread and see a reference to geograft problem in known issues:

"Any surface that is a collision object ("Static Surface") OR a "Dynamic Surface" with a Simulation > Structure > Dynamics Strength (or "dForce Simulation::Influence Weights" map) that causes a vertex to have a simulation strength of less than 1 (100%) AND has "floating" vertices (vertices that exist in the geometry but do not participate in any of its faces) or faces that are not visible to the simulation (via Visible or Visible in Simulation), does not have its animated position updated during a simulation (fixed in Daz Studio 4.10.0.108 - dForce 1.0.0.18)

• This is the cause of issues with hiding geometry associated with nodes of a figure

Try using the current Public Beta, which has the fix mentioned in the quote.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited November 2017

Testing the Rivetina shirt and skirt I purchased today.

Question: If a dress triggers an unused vert error, is it possible to fix this to allow dForce simulation?

Rivetina.png
    720 x 1280 - 1M
    Post edited by y3kman on
  • Has anyone tried DForce with V4 clothes? I'm trying to play with a cloak to see if I can hang it nicely on a V4 character, but it just exploded on me. I know I'm not the only one with a large V4 clothes library, Should there be a thread dedicated to making different V4 clothes work so we can share our findings?

Has anyone tried DForce with V4 clothes? I'm trying to play with a cloak to see if I can hang it nicely on a V4 character, but it just exploded on me. I know I'm not the only one with a large V4 clothes library, Should there be a thread dedicated to making different V4 clothes work so we can share our findings?

I use a Genesis figure (eg. Victoria 5) if I want to sim V4 clothes since I'm too lazy to figure out weight maps for the older products when worn by a V4. I only have two V4 clothes (Domino and Juggling Act) currently installed in my PC and they work with dForce with minor tweaking.

• So a no for V4, huh? Okay, problem is I never have much success using the transfer utility. It can mangle clothes worse than the autofit. Domino is definitely the one I'm interested in using DForce.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited November 2017

I've just been trying a few dynamic props made for V4 with Genesis 3 Female with a Victoria 4 morph applied so that they fit (it is important that the draping object does not intersect the figure at the start). I didn't even conform the dynamic object to the figure via Transfer Utility, just applied the dynamic modifier and ran the sim, and it worked fine. I was using the animated drape with the pose set at frame 20.

Screenshot 2017-11-08 18.52.20.png
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
    Post edited by PhilW on

Yes Richard. I happened to have a scene experiencing the geo-graft problem open at the time I got your message. I saved it - downloaded the current public beta - reopened and the sim is running perfectly.

On another note are you aware of any threads referring to getting DForce cothing into iclone 7? G2 G3 and G8 all import beautifully - but clothing other than conforming skin fit is not available.

• y3kman said:
    Question: If a dress triggers an unused vert error, is it possible to fix this to allow dForce simulation?

Select the item, switch to the Geometry Editor tool, right-click>Geometry Editing>Delte Unused Vertices

Yes Richard. I happened to have a scene experiencing the geo-graft problem open at the time I got your message. I saved it - downloaded the current public beta - reopened and the sim is running perfectly.

On another note are you aware of any threads referring to getting DForce cothing into iclone 7? G2 G3 and G8 all import beautifully - but clothing other than conforming skin fit is not available.

That sim of MDcloth.obj running on 60 frame G3Fanimation ran perfectly until last few frames. Then exposion. I think though the blow up was caused by the cloth being pushed through a stool where the butt of the G3F settles into the seat in the pose. I set the stool as a static surface. Maybe this is a mistake. Is there a procedure to enable simulation of dynamic surface meeting a solid object?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I am having a specific problem with an .obj cloth object ex Marvellous designer (which works fabulously) in a sim with G3F. But if I add a geograft to G3F the same sim distorts by 10% of sim execution and explodes.

That sim of MDcloth.obj running on 60 frame G3Fanimation ran perfectly until last few frames. Then exposion. I think though the blow up was caused by the cloth being pushed through a stool where the butt of the G3F settles into the seat in the pose. I set the stool as a static surface. Maybe this is a mistake. Is there a procedure to enable simulation of dynamic surface meeting a solid object?

You need to pose the character so there is a gap between her butt and the stool, so the fabric has some place to fit between them.

What is MDcloth.obj?  Is that a test file we can download from somewhere? Thanks.

y3kman said:

Select the item, switch to the Geometry Editor tool, right-click>Geometry Editing>Delte Unused Vertices

Thanks. That solved my problem with one of the items I purchased as part of a Build Your Own Bundle.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited November 2017
    Hera said:

I managed to get it to work and simulate a few primitives, creating tablecloths and such things, but my first try at outfit was unsucessful. I tried the Artemis Moon dress for G3F and added a modifier dynamic surface which was all tat worked, and it simulated something all right, but when the simulation was done nothing had happened with the dress, it looked more or less just like before.

And I don't see anything that lets me modify parts of the dress, save for the regular old functions already in the dress. This dress has long sleeves which are most of the time useless because they conform to the arms not to the gravity and thus they are levitating. I had wanted to see if there was a way to fix these.  

Simple thing to check that I've slipped on myself - Check if it was Dynamic Surface or Dynamic Surface Add On - the latter acts a bit different.  I just tested the Artemis Moon outfit myself, and the results are not TOS compliant, because the buckles aren't welded to the dress itself ;D

I selected 'dynamic surface' because that was the only selection working.
    I can do without the buckles, but I want to have the dress confirmed to the woman in the picture, now it does nothing to her. and the  sleves are stil behaving as in zero g

Post edited by Hera on
  • sapat said:

What is MDcloth.obj?  Is that a test file we can download from somewhere? Thanks.

MD cloth .obj in this case is a piece of clothing I made in Marvellous Designer https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/overview - so not a test file/