Interactive License?

Comments

•  

Yes some game dev already have a licence.. but you bough one for one title only remember? (if the old indie license is good for unlimited number of project to follow the logic of the new license, they never need to buy a new license for ever!.  Which mean Daz doesnt make money.. and of course that doesnt make sense.

Actually the Daz indie license is good for unlimited number of project, it was the 3rd party PAs that had limits on their stuff

As for why they removed the Daz indie license, there is really only two possible reason

1.  To event he playing field between daz and PAs

2. To cover the cost of free software. Instead of charging for software like iClone and many other companies do, Daz may figure to keep the tools free for 2d artist while passing the cost on to game devs and people doing 3d printing. 

• The real thing i want to know is ..

WHY?

Why they removed the indie license?

I totally see myself buying the indie license for daz content and buy the interactive for PA items i want.

The addition of the new license was making me thing about the option to buy a few item from RawArt for example.

So why they see the need to remove it?

Simple, at least in my mind. There have been a number of folks in this thread that have said they got the indie license for a fraction of its normal price; is that really fair to either DAZ or any particular PA that may have had one if a lot of folks did that?

• The real thing i want to know is ..

WHY?

I totally see myself buying the indie license for daz content and buy the interactive for PA items i want.

The addition of the new license was making me thing about the option to buy a few item from RawArt for example.

Simple, at least in my mind. There have been a number of folks in this thread that have said they got the indie license for a fraction of its normal price; is that really fair to either DAZ or any particular PA that may have had one if a lot of folks did that?

yeah but in my case it is unused and looks like it may be for some time, my intentions were only ever a simple walkthrough demo type game to share my art with others interactively.

so not really fleecing anyone cheeky

• jillval8jillval8 Posts: 50
    edited November 2017

The real thing i want to know is ..

WHY?

It's not fair to the rest of us and unrealistic. We do know that at least.Alot of folks spent months and years on projects, and expected to by indie license, then got hit with this. Not only is it not fair to those folks but a slap in the face. :(

Post edited by jillval8 on
  • morkmork Posts: 278
    edited November 2017

The real thing i want to know is ..

WHY?

But that is not the problem of those folks, is it? At one point I even could have chosen the DAZ Indie License for free, and boy, I should have. Too bad I chosed a Pro package as my freebie, stupid me. :(

I have purchased a lot of content where I knew a Dev License would apply to, but now I'm left with pretty nothing. I too have quite a couple of thousand lines of code to properly import, rig and render assets I've purchased. Since you cannot upgrade a product you have already purchased with this new licensing - not that I'd even consider that at this point - I cannot use them in any way...
    It's not that I do renders with Studio that much, even less since I'm on AMD, so I don't need all that stuff if I cannot opt in for a dev license at some point to use the assets in my engine. :(

Man, that really sucks big time. Please bring back the old licenses. Right now I'm pretty f**ed, thank you very much. :(

Post edited by mork on
  • jillval8 said:

It's not fair to the rest of us and unrealistic. We do know that at least.Alot of folks spent months and years on projects, and execpted to by indie license, then got hit with this. Not only is it not fair to those folks but a slap in the face. :(

How is it unfair, everyone had the chance to buy the indie license. Some bought others did not

• mikekmikek Posts: 192
    edited November 2017

I hope they come back next week and just bring back the indie license and let the customer choose between.

Everyone will be happy isnt? Whats wrong with that?

My guess is they won't bring it back. Otherwise they wouldn't have pulled the rug out from under the developer like this. But maybe they will do something different.

That sounds like if a developer buys the indie license with discount and then 100 items for it he must have gotten the 100 items for free.
    They are the same items the 2D artist buys. There wasn't any extra work from the creator. Items the developer would have never bought if the license wouldn't exist at all.

Post edited by mikek on
  • edited November 2017
    jillval8 said:

It's not fair to the rest of us and unrealistic. We do know that at least.Alot of folks spent months and years on projects, and execpted to by indie license, then got hit with this. Not only is it not fair to those folks but a slap in the face. :(

How is it unfair, everyone had the chance to buy the indie license. Some bought others did not

If the license change was explicitly shown on main page, lot of game dev will have buy it...

Posting it on forum or only a week before the change applied or when most customers are busy with an holiday (halloween)

thats not fair. i knew that license change because ive notice the option on the item description...

They should have put an ad and let customers buy the old license for a entire month to be fair .

Daz is proud of his millions of visitors every month...  A full month is required to let all there customers know whats coming and take decision (the one getting the information is not automaticly the one taking budget decision for example, or to the one with technical knowledge to know what is the actual option valid for them).

Post edited by hexadecimalentertainment on
  • unfair or unfortunate wink

is rather like all the V2 and M2 stuff in store and my having gotten both figures for free and DAZ later vaulting them.

some of us just got a real bargain 

I did not win lotto either which is not unfair, I still had a chance to.

edited November 2017
    jillval8 said:

If the license change was explicitly shown on main page, lot of game dev will have buy it...

Posting it on forum or only a week before the change applied or when most customers are busy with an holiday (halloween)

thats not fair. i knew that license change because ive notice the option on the item description...

They should have put an ad and let customers buy the old license for a entire month to be fair .

Daz is proud of his millions of visitors every month...  A full month is required to let all there customers know whats coming and take decision (the one getting the information is not automaticly the one taking budget decision for example, or to the one with technical knowledge to know what is the actual option valid for them).

pretty much this ^^^ to answer your question, and the many post before this by others who also already explain their concerns

• If the license change was explicitly shown on main page, lot of game dev will have buy it...

You know a few days ago a product was released on Daz called GamePrint. People noticed that there were changes to the EULA covering 3D printing. I contacted Daz and they were a little suprised since they said that version of the EULA was not to be released yet

I do not think anyone here thinks Daz handled this right. As far as if they should have put a big banner or something on the store page, thats one of many debates people will be having. You would have thought they would have soemthing the final weekend atleast

• jillval8 said:
    jillval8 said:

pretty much this ^^^

you could try contacting customer support if you are willing to pay full price for the previous license and express your desire and lack of warning.

(asking for a discount less likely to garner a response)

those who have one cannot help you only DAZ can, I just grabbed it when the opportunity presented itself (just in case we one day used it) in my case full price was never going to be an option.

• jillval8 said:
    jillval8 said:

pretty much this ^^^ to answer your question, and the many post before this by others who also already explain their concerns

None of which explains how it is unfair or how some did nto get the chance to grab the license. SHoudl Daz have screamed the whole month of Oct "GET THE INDIE LICENSE NOW and here is why?" Was the fact that it been on sale so much during the past month along witht he forum post enough? Who knows but it still does not make it unfair to anyone 

• jillval8 said:
    jillval8 said:

None of which explains how it is unfair or how some did nto get the chance to grab the license. SHoudl Daz have screamed the whole month of Oct "GET THE INDIE LICENSE NOW and here is why?" Was the fact that it been on sale so much during the past month along witht he forum post enough? Who knows but it still does not make it unfair to anyone 

LOL, if you say so.

• jillval8 said:
    jillval8 said:
    jillval8 said:

LOL, if you say so.

Well when you can explain how YOU deciding not to buy something makes it unfair to you when it is no longer on sale get back to me

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited November 2017

well we can only offer you condolences on the forum and discuss it etc

I grabbed the last turkey from the shop freezer, I can gloat or can say sorry but unlike that I cannot give this to you.

DAZ is only ones who can sell you the license 

edited to add

my suggestion is contact them rather than argue on the forum about fairness as nobody posting here can help you

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

Lets avoid addressing the poster instead of the topic at hand as per the forum TOS.

edited November 2017
    th3Digit said:

I grabbed the last turkey from the shop freezer, I can gloat or can say sorry but unlike that I cannot give this to you.

edited to add

my suggestion is contact them rather than argue on the forum about fairness as nobody posting here can help you

yea, its worth a shot. Pretty sure there being flooded with emails as we speak.

• Putting the license on sale is not what we all call a warning...

They should have put a real webpage saying the old license ends and whats the difference and yes people will still complaint but we will be having this discussion WHILE we are STILL able to buy it

and game dev will not be complaining, they will be buying the old license!

• Putting the license on sale is not what we all call a warning...

They should have put a real webpage saying the old license ends and whats the difference and yes people will still complaint but we will be having this discussion WHILE we are STILL able to buy it

and game dev will not be complaining, they will be buying the old license!

I agree with you that they should have done more. I also agree that while they are within industry standards the prices are high, a super increase when compared to the price just 24 hours before

With that there is a huge difference between someone stating "they should have handled this better" and someone else saying "This is unfairm this is greed on Daz part" 

edited November 2017

So I will ask again how is it unfair, some people bought the license and others did not. 

If this was your usual discount where someone got a item cheap and others didn't then sure your argument would be valid. But this isn't the same situation. This goes into the professional area where companies don't replace licenses without giving details beforehand. Here we have developers who have planned based on the license. Some user who have invested months of their time or money on its basis. I'm working since a couple years in the game industry. Developing games are often projects for years and professional companies are usually aware of this. They know most developer can't just adjust their complete project from one week to the next. If they change something with bigger impact for the developers it's standard to announce it early so developers can adjust to it.

Post edited by mikek on
  • nmargie_d65db43582nmargie_d65db43582 Posts: 156
    edited November 2017
    mikek said:

If this was your usual discount where someone got a item cheap and others didn't then sure your argument would be valid. But this isn't the same situation. This goes into the professional area where companies don't replace licenses without giving details beforehand. Here we have developers who have planned based on the license. Some user who have invested months of their time or money on its basis. I'm working since a couple years in the game industry. Developing games are often projects for years and professional companies are usually aware of this. They know most developer can't just  adjust his complete project from one week to the next. If they change something with bigger impact for the developers it's standard to announce it early so developers can adjust to it.

As someone who works in the game industry you know things change, many times quickly. Daz appears to update their licnesing to better fit the current market. Again I agree daz could have handled this better but it still does not make it unfair since everyone had the same chance to buy the license. Some developers took the risk to hold off buying the license and now it is no longer for sale. That was a choice they chose to make. 

For the record I agree with you and others this new pricing model was to quick a step. it seems rushed in that many people have no clue what is going on and thier ticket department seemed not to be ready for the flooding of tickets they got

Post edited by nmargie_d65db43582 on
    edited November 2017

As someone who works in the game industry you know things change, many times quickly. Daz appears to update their licnesing to better fit the current market. Again I agree daz could have handled this better but it still does not make it unfair since everyone had the same chance to buy the license. Some developers took the risk to hold off buying the license and now it is no longer for sale. That was a choice they chose to make. 

Again its not about having the chance or not it's about planning security for developers which invest months or years of work in this. Implementing big changes without any details about it beforehand doesnt work well with that.

Post edited by mikek on
  • th3Digit said:

edited to add

Good point.. thinking seriously about it...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

Debating it here in the forums will get you nowhere. People in the forum have no ability to change anything. I suggest submitting a ticket and let them know your concerns.

• pruggipruggi Posts: 151
    frank0314 said:

Debating it here in the forums will get you nowhere. People in the forum have no ability to change anything. I suggest submitting a ticket and let them know your concerns.

Just to add my two pence, that is not really getting me any 'real' information either. My support request answers (regarding the licensing / questions about indie-commercial differentiations and upgrades) just skipped all my specific questions altogether and quoted what the new license was about. I understand support is probably bogged down by requests and tickets - totally get that... but it seems that there should be answers/understanding prepared for such important and pretty basic inquiries about a monumental change before it happens.

That being said, Daz support has always been beyond stellar, so I have hopes that there will be clearer answers to all of this in the near future.

edited November 2017
    pruggi said:
    frank0314 said:

Just to add my two pence, that is not really getting me any 'real' information either. My support request answers (regarding the licensing / questions about indie-commercial differentiations and upgrades) just skipped all my specific questions altogether and quoted what the new license was about. I understand support is probably bogged down by requests and tickets - totally get that... but it seems that there should be answers/understanding prepared for such important and pretty basic inquiries about a monumental change before it happens.

That being said, Daz support has always been beyond stellar, so I have hopes that there will be clearer answers to all of this in the near future.

hate, to say it, but that's why I was kind of like "ehh should I?" because I knew for a fact the answer I would get would be something on the lines of something "SECTION 7: State's the following...." or something that sounds scripted or copy and pastes from a FAQ or something. That's messed up. 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited November 2017

I wonder how many people actually use Daz mesh in completed, released Interactive Software/Games. 

And I wonder how many people come to Daz for that, instead of one of the engine stores?

I have a history with the game industry but very little insight into the indie ‘scene’. Have there been conversations elsewhere recommending Daz as a mesh source? RawArt said he’d only ever sold a few game licenses but maybe that was just him. I’m sure more licensed for DO mesh were sold, just based on discussions here. But— how big is this?

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • nmargie_d65db43582nmargie_d65db43582 Posts: 156
    edited November 2017

Not sure how many completed games use Daz models, but there are plenty discussions among indies. I know on Epics Unreal engine forums there are people discussing using using Daz. As for unity, while I know there are people who talk about bringing Daz models into the engine Daz has a option called Morph3d which is a game only Daz system. It got a lower price tag than Daz but the models are only usabe in Unity.

Here is an example from the UE forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/content-creation/114518-daz-3d-studio-or-iclone-for-character-creation-pros-and-cons ; User FrankieV also has a youtube channel showing what he is doing with Daz models in his game

I wonder how many people actually use Daz mesh in completed, released Interactive Software/Games. 

And I wonder how many people come to Daz for that, instead of one of the engine stores?

I have a history with the game industry but very little insight into the indie ‘scene’. Have there been conversations elsewhere recommending Daz as a mesh source? RawArt said he’d only ever sold a few game licenses but maybe that was just him. I’m sure more licensed for DO mesh were sold, just based on discussions here. But— how big is this?

Post edited by nmargie_d65db43582 on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Interesting, thank you very much for the link!