Interactive License?

Comments

• mikek said:

To be far to Daz here, anyone who was really planning on using their content in a a game had already bought an Indie license.

I don't agree with that. Unreal engine as an example supports the proper import of daz figures only since the last couple versions. When I jumped on this year there was a lot to learn like how to use blender, substance painter, substance designer, daz and unreal engine together. To reduce poly count, fix issues and replace materials with proper ones. There is a lot work involved to iron out everything if one intends to create something decent. All of that is before even starting with the actual developement.

Couldn't agree more.

Im more interested in why limit our choices? Why take away the option? Wouldn't it make sense to have both, how is the hurting anyone?

Also, I like how those who are bragging that they bought the Daz license a long time ago, because last time I check it was only for one project? Is that correct? 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I guess I don't understand why you think potentially using other people's work to make money should be 'affordable' (and that's such a subjective term, but I'm going to assume you mean 'affordable on a hobbyist's budget').  When you buy one of these licenses, you are saying, "I am going to publish this," and you're probably thinking, "I am going to SELL this," and you're hoping, "I'm going to make a lot of money on this and become the new hot stuff." I can understand not wanting to shell out hundreds or thousands on a hobbyist budget, but that's why you don't buy the license until you've actually got something to publish. You use stand-in art, the equivalent of using watermarked stock downloads in mockups. (And yeah, this price scheme seems about the going rate for commercial high-quality stock images, too...) And the advantage there, too, is that by the time you need the license, you know exactly what you need and you've had a chance to trim down the requirements to what you can afford, and so on. Budget stuff, for a business.

• nmargie_d65db43582nmargie_d65db43582 Posts: 156
    edited November 2017
    mikek said:

To be far to Daz here, anyone who was really planning on using their content in a a game had already bought an Indie license.

I don't agree with that. Unreal engine as an example supports the proper import of daz figures only since the last couple versions. When I jumped on this year there was a lot to learn like how to use blender, substance painter, substance designer, daz and unreal engine together. To reduce poly count, fix issues and replace materials with proper ones. There is a lot work involved to iron out everything if one intends to create something decent. All of that is before even starting with the actual developement.

The indie license could be purchased well less than 100 dollars a great number of times, as for poly count daz has tools to help reduce the number of polys. At the price point the license was selling for there was little reason for anyone who was planning on releaseing a game not have bought it. 

Markets change all the time, Daz clearly felt their old model was outdated and put it, with what they feel, is more inline with current market. I agree the prices for the individual items seems a bit high (no way the license should cost double of what the item price is) they will probably go back and make corrections

A few years ago a buddy of mine wanted me to buy into Bitcoin. I told him he was nuts. The coins I would have paid 5-10 dollars for then are now worth over $5000 each. Markets change and all we consumers can do is adapt

Post edited by nmargie_d65db43582 on
  • pruggipruggi Posts: 151

I guess I don't understand why you think potentially using other people's work to make money should be 'affordable' (and that's such a subjective term, but I'm going to assume you mean 'affordable on a hobbyist's budget').  When you buy one of these licenses, you are saying, "I am going to publish this," and you're probably thinking, "I am going to SELL this," and you're hoping, "I'm going to make a lot of money on this and become the new hot stuff." I can understand not wanting to shell out hundreds or thousands on a hobbyist budget, but that's why you don't buy the license until you've actually got something to publish. You use stand-in art, the equivalent of using watermarked stock downloads in mockups. (And yeah, this price scheme seems about the going rate for commercial high-quality stock images, too...) And the advantage there, too, is that by the time you need the license, you know exactly what you need and you've had a chance to trim down the requirements to what you can afford, and so on. Budget stuff, for a business.

The thing is, the pricing scheme for using DOs shot-up expenetially. It's not about saying the stuff is not worth it or should be made 'affordable' per say - it's that people got a pricing scheme into their minds and it was changed instantly. If you were buying up DO items to use in a project, under the assumption that you could use them with a 500$ license (and were waiting to buy the license) and then learned that the let's say 200 items you bought are now going to cost 5-10k - that's a huge difference than 500$. And starting small sounds good enough, but no one uses 3 items in a game - that's like saying you have 1 3d model with 1 outfit.

Once again, I do really like the idea of having the individual license option, I'm just surprised they took away the option to have full licenses altogether. 

• jillval8 said:
    mikek said:

Also, I like how those who are bragging that they bought the Daz license a long time ago, because last time I check it was only for one project? Is that correct? 

No the Daz indie license is for unlimited projects. Many 3rd party PA artist set limits on the number of projects their license cover

• jillval8jillval8 Posts: 50
    edited November 2017

all I can say is time well tell, because again people never bought 1 to 2 props for 500 dollars. No one ever did that. They used the entire catalog. 100 dollars is not that much of a stretch. But whatever it is what it is. I just hate the option it's there anymore, because like someone said earilier daz was just getting popular within unreal and there are many tools add daz within out workflow. I guess my argument is if a indie developer buys one thing, like a outfit, realistically they going to need a character, hair, prop, etc to go with it. why pay the 100 for outfit if we cant afforde the rest. That's all Im trying to say. but I'll leave it at that. 

PS: I apoligize if I sound touch some nerves, I really dont mean anything by it, I'm just so passinate about this, and the news with the indie development license being wipe out just got me very disappointed and I grarente for a lot of other people, because we are force to look elsewhere.

Post edited by jillval8 on
    edited November 2017
    mikek said:

(no way the license should cost double of what the item price is) they will probably go back and make corrections

See, you are _never_ paying for 'the product' with a digital purchase. The product is just bits on a server. You are _always_ buying the license. For Daz products the standard is an 'license for use of 2d renders of 3d content, with unlimited downloads of the asset source'. And it's honestly incredibly affordable given that you get unlimited commercial use of same.  As for other asset purchasing-- if a 'commercial license' is only twice the price of a 'personal license' it really is a shocker to me. That's just not how the markets work right now. 3x-4x is much more in line with my expectations and 10x is not unexpected.

I do understand that the sudden paradigm shift if you were accumulating with intent to spend a single $500 someday is horrid, though. Now instead of using potentially hundreds of products from a single vendor, you're limited to 10. (Or maybe more if bundles stay those huge bargains.)  It's tough. It's like a sale that you didn't realize would be ending. (I had that recent with a planned Vue purchase....)  I bet, though, those folks who find themselves in that situation might be able to come to an accomodation with Daz Sales, especially if they HAVE already purchased hundreds of items.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • DAZ_Rawb said:

From what I understand, the name has to do with allowing the same additional rights that you get with the old gaming license and letting it be known that it can be used for non-gaming purposes.

So if you want to use the content for making a real-time rendered workplace safety training simulator (which is definitely not fun, so wouldn't really be a game) then you would know that this license would cover it, whereas when it was just named "game developer license" it didn't seem to cover that case.

I a pleased DAZ3D opened the Game license for all 3d interactive publishing. I've been aying for years, realtme interactive 3d publishing is not just for games. I have both the DAZ4D Indy AND Commercial licenses for my publications. Even though my revenue doesnt coe close to approaching the commercial limit, when I had the oppertunity I picked it up to set unlimited growth potentia by my small media biz  :D   

DAZ, One thing that is problematic that I hope this interactive license fixes -  is the different terms in the PA game licenses, in particular to the project limitations to 1-3 games.  That never made sence to me, especiallly when someone is making an interactiice book that may he broken into several apps or publicatins.  Paying twice to render the same IP 3d asset is totally uncool and worse, unmanagable by the consumer.  

DAZ Can you comment if these issues with the PA license terms is consolidated to a common standard?

• 3DMinh3DMinh Posts: 220
    a-sennov said:
    a-sennov said:
    Regardless, I think that the new license type is better. In 3D Games, I think not everything needs to be 3D? For example, with a fixed camera/POV, everything but movable objects can be 2D Images (rendered images). Now we can choose to buy what we actually need, not the whole "PAs-wide/ store-wide" overpriced license.

Games usually need many assets. Here are my numbers: currently I'm using assets from like 200 DAZ Original products (not every single mesh but at least something from each product), I've bought Indie license for 182$ (sales :) ). That means I've paid like 1$ extra for the right to use the product in my app - which is quite reasonable price, I think :) With current scheme it would be 10000$ - not acceptable.

I agree. For anyone who would like to develop a full 3D game with many assets, this is a real nightmare if one hasn't bought the old license.

About the old vs new license, the way I see it:

+ If you like to develop one game with many assets that come from only couples of PAs, then you will hate the current license. (1)

+ If you like to develop many games with only a few assets that come from many PAs, then you should feel really good now :D. (2)

Then I think Daz3d is making a really big mistake removing the old indie/commercial licenses.

They are losing customer: If you're (2), then congratz, but if you're (1), then you have nearly no choice but to leave Daz3d Platform. Buying all the individual licenses for many assets is just totally ridiculous (if you have that much money why don't you just hire people to design the models for you?). The only way that ones would be willing to pay for all these individual licenses is that they have already invested too much on Daz3d Models. But then again, $10000 for 200 products? It's not gonna happen! The worst thing is that if I was a new customer with the (1) demand, I would choose other stores/options for sure.

People either have the budget or they don't. Removing options for people with tight budget without any realistic alternative is ... removing customers. I just don't understand why they removed it, there is no reasonable... reason! Unless I'm very wrong :( , Daz3d will have to bring back the old license. But this time they will put a limit on how many projects you can develop/publish with it.

• To be far to Daz here, anyone who was really planning on using their content in a a game had already bought an Indie license. While I agree their pricing is screwed up this change is going to affect new customers much more than the existing ones 

SIDE NOTE: Even if they brought back the one time license I doubt it would keep teh 500 - 1000 price tag. 

Ill pay 1K when im going to alpha testing, 500-1k budget is something that take time to save but its doable.

but not 10 K ! (50$ x 200 mesh for a game) !

Why they just dont keep the old indie license!  game dev using lot of mesh will be glad...

and people buying only a few item wont pay 500$ for an item that worth 25 $

Ive been working in the Video game industry for over 15 years. Ill be more than happy to be consultant to bring daz into the game industry the right way..

Because this is NOT the right way! They should see the market they are NOT getting. Sony, Microsoft, Valve(Steam) they all have done things to HELP indie/solo dev to create and release there game easier.

For example, Valve litteraly ask indie game dev how much they are able to pay for the submission fee of there game on steam market.

Daz should starts asking opinion of there customers and not only Artist at this point.

How many minimum salary range people can afford to pay over 10 K ?

edited November 2017

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less? I was poking around there the other day, and it looked like a simple forest scene cost around $200. It was nice to run around in, though. And I gotta say, I bet Daz will still make more if people buy most of their assets but still know they can come here to pick up a few perfect character models or locations for a flat per-item fee rather than waiting for a proper sale on a bulk license. Like... go buy the $40 environment at Unity and pick up the RawArt character you love here, and then Daz has made more than they would have from the people who could never have afforded the $500++ at one time. You know?

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

'Nobody ever spent $500 on one product!'

Thats the point; under the old scheme you simply would spend $0 because it's not worth it.

The new scheme means people who would have not bothered with any license may actually do so.

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less? I was poking around there the other day, and it looked like a simple forest scene cost around $200. It was nice to run around in, though.

Lol that much! Daz3d's items are really cheap I guess :D.

Anyway, if I don't have enough money, and I don't have any other option, then I just don't/can't make the things I want to make. Or I'd make it but would not publish/sell it. The point is even if I want to, Daz3d can't take the money I don't have. If they want to take the money I do have, then they must give me other options (bring back the old licenses or think of new alternatives).

• Oso3D said:

Thats the point; under the old scheme you simply would spend $0 because it's not worth it.

The new scheme means people who would have not bothered with any license may actually do so.

Makes me wonder if this move was a big help to PAs. How many people who bought the daz licnese stayed away from PA content because the extra licensing cost? This new model will give PAs new customers.

I still think the pricing is a bit high but it will work itself out in time 

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less? I was poking around there the other day, and it looked like a simple forest scene cost around $200. It was nice to run around in, though.

Anyway, if I don't have enough money, and I don't have any other option, then I just don't/can't make the things I want to make. Or I'd make it but would not publish/sell it. The point is even if I want to, Daz3d can't take the money I don't have. If they want to take the money I do have, then they must give me other options (bring back the old licenses or think of new alternatives).

Well, do keep making even if publishing/selling isn't on the horizon.  Keep making, so that when the opportunity presents itself to get what you need to publish/sell, you are justified and READY to leap on it like one of Stonemason's white tigers! 

Well, do keep making even if publishing/selling isn't on the horizon.  Keep making, so that when the opportunity presents itself to get what you need to publish/sell, you are justified and READY to leap on it like one of Stonemason's white tigers! 

Well said :)). I'll sure do, and I actually like the new license, because I can finally dream about making 3d games :D.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited November 2017
    mikek said:

minhdinheeit said:

Regardless, I think that the new license type is better. In 3D Games, I think not everything needs to be 3D? For example, with a fixed camera/POV, everything but movable objects can be 2D Images (rendered images). Now we can choose to buy what we actually need, not the whole "PAs-wide/ store-wide" overpriced license.

It depends on the project one wants to do. I had planed to buy the old indy licences but decided to wait for the change and I got seriously fummed today about myself for waiting. Somehow I expected the new licenses would be only an alternative to the old ones but the old ones are now completly gone. For very very small projects the change should have advantages. But I will have to rethink my project as my budget won't allow it with the new licenses in the same way. So either cut it down or as you suggest possible do most of it with 2D and only 3D where really necessary

Only the game publisher, not the developer needs the interactive license.  My company has the full commercial liense.  If you build it, perhaps we can work together to publsh and host it through my cyber1.net outlet  I would be interested in working with artists to publish thieir games with a win-win shared risk deal. :D

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • mikekmikek Posts: 192

The indie license could be purchased well less than 100 dollars a great number of times, as for poly count daz has tools to help reduce the number of polys. At the price point the license was selling for there was little reason for anyone who was planning on releaseing a game not have bought it. 

Markets change all the time, Daz clearly felt their old model was outdated and put it, with what they feel, is more inline with current market. I agree the prices for the individual items seems a bit high (no way the license should cost double of what the item price is) they will probably go back and make corrections

A few years ago a buddy of mine wanted me to buy into Bitcoin. I told him he was nuts. The coins I would have paid 5-10 dollars for then are now worth over $5000 each. Markets change and all we consumers can do is adapt

The lowest I saw for the indie license was 300 dollar. I was actually hoping it would go down around black friday thats the main reason why I decided to wait for this month. If the PAs and Daz feel it's fair and it works for them concerning sale numbers with the current price then I can probably accept it. But for my game content it means the old 3D king is dead long live the new(old) 2D king.

• edited November 2017

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less? I was poking around there the other day, and it looked like a simple forest scene cost around $200. It was nice to run around in, though. And I gotta say, I bet Daz will still make more if people buy most of their assets but still know they can come here to pick up a few perfect character models or locations for a flat per-item fee rather than waiting for a proper sale on a bulk license. Like... go buy the $40 environment at Unity and pick up the RawArt character you love here, and then Daz has made more than they would have from the people who could never have afforded the $500++ at one time. You know?

No license on Unreal marketplace.. fyi. 

The issue is not paying a license on per item basis... is the price asked ...  paying 50$ for license for a pro bundle of 150$...   well.. 50 on 200 total.. bring that on per item cost... not bad... 

but you re not paying a license that worth more than the item itself. 

And the issue for indie will always be at  my opinion the volume of mesh you are using

On a single map i can use more daz mesh than any artist will do in a year on different projects lol

For the artist not related the video game industry, in todays game, a single level can over 10 KM !

And yes, we are aware that 2d render can save you some license, but we are in 2018 soon...

Its VR era!  when you want lifelike model in youre game, you are not usually limit them to your HUD lol

I think they should just bring the old license back WITH the new license and everyone wll be happy

Post edited by hexadecimalentertainment on
  • a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less?

When you're buying from DAZ and from ue4 (or Unity) marketplace you're actually buying different things. In the case of DAZ you're getting assets that are almost unusable in games without a lot of additional efforts from your side. When you're buying game-ready staff then, well, it's game-ready. My time is valuable for me so it's natuaral that I'd expect DAZ assets to be much cheaper :)

Another consideration would be that to my experience products from UE4 marketplace that are comparable in price (accounting for interactive license) usually has much more staff inside. Stonemason's Urban Spawl 3 has around 60 models while Polypixel's Down Town - 250.

And finally. 'Interactive' is not equals to 'Commercial' :) My game will be free.

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    Oso3D said:

In my case it was quite opposite. I've bought most of products after the license. Initially I needed the game-dev license to be able to use Genesis in my prototype. But when it was bought I thought: "Well, there are many useful staff around here and I already may use it'. So finally I've bought that staff and actually hundreds of products besides it because they were cheap and why not :)

With the new scheme it'd end with single 50$ purchase (and I'd save my money) :)

• mikek said:

The lowest I saw for the indie license was 300 dollar. I was actually hoping it would go down around black friday thats the main reason why I decided to wait for this month. If the PAs and Daz feel it's fair and it works for them concerning sale numbers with the current price then I can probably accept it. But for my game content it means the old 3D king is dead long live the new(old) 2D king.

It could be had much cheaper if you had PC+. On Oct 15 2017 I placed an order on daz that contained (can not find the item price so I have to show the whole order)

Complex Hair creation part 1 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

Complex Hair creation part 2 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

Complex Hair creation part 3 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

The ultimate guid to creating complex outfits (Digital art live product)   109.95

Indie game dev license                                                                          500.00

PC+ quater membership                                                                             24.00

Total should have been 720.80

I paid 198.92

No license on Unreal marketplace.. fyi. 

Incorrect. It's just incorporated into the base price, and tracking down the legalese is bizarrely difficult. However, if you read the marketplace FAQ, they both reference 'sublicensing' (which presupposes a license) and they have all sorts of restrictions on what you can and can't do with the content, the very definition of a license.

A-sennov, re game-readiness. Fair enough. ​Though I have no idea how much 'model count' matters in terms of games. I suppose for flexibility in environment construction? But I bet that, yeah, the Down Town is probably a better deal for that particular place. It honestly seems like Daz is only the place to go if you MUST have THAT PARTICULAR MODEL-- which seems like it fits the inquiries that RawArt mentioned, too.  So, like, I expect that this is less Daz trying to Get Into Selling Game Models For Real On Daz3d.Com and more 'let's give people who really want to shell out for a particular model a way to do so.'

• well I actually got the indy license on sale quite a while back so that was a bargain yes

but then again I have yet to use it crying

I have fluffed around in both Unreal and Unity a bit but not gotten terribly far

I would be happy to bake a simple walkthrough of a DO house or gallery with some art to view on the walls but even that was too hard

and no the dreamhouse is far too big to get into Unreal, I tried

• edited November 2017

Can someone confirm that if you buy the interactive license for a bundle, all item in the bundle get the license?

50$ per PRO bundle could help make the pill pass lol

That and if its true that this license is good for unlimited project/game compare to a indie game license per game title

Post edited by hexadecimalentertainment on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,079
    edited November 2017

Can someone confirm that if you buy the interactive license for a bundle, all item in the bundle get the license?

50$ per PRO bundle could help make the pill pass lol

That and if its true that this license is good for unlimited project/game compare to a indie game license per game title

There doesn't seem to be a way to buy just the interactive license. You can only buy it along with the product. Now if you buy the pro bundle, you won't buy the individual items in it again. So logically that should cover everything in the bundle. (From a technical point of view.)

Speaking of getting the license separately... In the 
    past if you wanted to use all your 5000 items that you have already bought, you went ahead and bought the license. Done. What happens now? I don't see a way to buy just the licenses. Do we need to buy all the products again as well?

Forget it. You CAN buy just the license only, by adding the item + the license in the cart and then deleting the item, keeping the license in there.

Post edited by Ati on
  • No it appears if you go to a product store page for an item you own you can just add the license. No need to rebuy the item itself 

• mikekmikek Posts: 192

Only the game publisher, not the developer needs the interactive license.  My company has the full commercial liense.  If you build it, perhaps we can work together to publsh and host it through my cyer1.net outlet  I would be interested in workig with artists to publish thieir games with a win-win shared risk deal. :D

Thank you for the offer but its to risky for me. The game I had planned would require around 2 years for me to finish. I can't work that long on a project while having to rely on a external entity concerning a license without which it can't be released. 

It could be had much cheaper if you had PC+. On Oct 15 2017 I placed an order on daz that contained (can not find the item price so I have to show the whole order)

Complex Hair creation part 1 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

Complex Hair creation part 2 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

Complex Hair creation part 3 (from Digital art live)  - 28.95

The ultimate guid to creating complex outfits (Digital art live product)   109.95

Indie game dev license                                                                          500.00

PC+ quater membership                                                                             24.00

Total should have been 720.80

I paid 198.92

I wasn't aware the PC+ price difference was that big. On a side note PC+ in the store lists also the interactive license option.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079

No it appears if you go to a product store page for an item you own you can just add the license. No need to rebuy the item itself 

Oh, yeah, the add to cart button changes to "Add license". Clever.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited November 2017
    a-sennov said:

Out of curiosity, what would you choose instead of Daz? Would buying the commercial licenses for 200 products at the Unity Asset store be much less?

When you're buying from DAZ and from ue4 (or Unity) marketplace you're actually buying different things. In the case of DAZ you're getting assets that are almost unusable in games without a lot of additional efforts from your side. When you're buying game-ready staff then, well, it's game-ready. My time is valuable for me so it's natuaral that I'd expect DAZ assets to be much cheaper :)

Another consideration would be that to my experience products from UE4 marketplace that are comparable in price (accounting for interactive license) usually has much more staff inside. Stonemason's Urban Spawl 3 has around 60 models while Polypixel's Down Town - 250.

And finally. 'Interactive' is not equals to 'Commercial' :) My game will be free.

The game & app market is extremely competitive  I suspect 99% of the projects developed with DAZ 3D gale licened assets are freebies or use inobtrusie mans for monitization.  There may be some shareware apps out there but I have not seen any for sale. I use DAZ3D work to create interactive media and art to create traffic for websites & blogs.  Even games I launch in the goolgle play and amazon appstore are free even if they use in-house assets.  Perhaps somedy I will be confident enugh to sell (game/apps) but for now if its a project that ha a lot of self created 3d assets I try o sell theme as 3d content in stores ike DAZ to recover some of my costs.   

Post edited by Dream Cutter on