Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2017

Just a quick WIP. I wanted to set up the DreamHome as a house on a man-made lake for a scene with the paddle boat. This is the start of it.

​I think I want it to be in the desert southwest, so I'm going to have to get rid of most of that grass and replace it with desert landscaping. I used a dformer to create the depression for the lake.

The lake, as always, is Terradome 3 water.

DreamHome.jpg
    1860 x 921 - 913K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@donovancolbert   That looks really stunning!

Folks, got a call ten minutes ago, headed to the hospital. Mom fell again, she was headed out the door to go to breakfast (has been walking to breakfast and meals and really trying hard, sometimes someone has to walk behind her coming back, as she is in the wing furthest from the dining room) and she turned to shut her door. This time, she hurt her lower back, but she fell on that same fractured hip. I'll be gone all day.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Oh no! Sorry to hear it, Novica!

@donovancolbert That's gorgeous! Great job! 

Back home from the hospital, her back is bruised and slightly compressed, did not injure the hip further, so she got back to her assisted living apartment around 2:15pm. 

Just got a call (at 3:15p) she fell again in the bathroom. The CNA (nurse) fell too, and another one had to come get her up. It's not funny, but mom has one of those call thingies around her neck, to a private company. So since she and the nurse couldn't get to the call rope on the wall, mom called this outside company. Can you imagine down in the nurses' office, the phone rings and that company says, 'If you're looking for your nurse on the Magnolia Lane hall, Mrs (Name) is sitting on her in the bathroom." 

So twice in one day, but nothing broken. Take your calcium folks, mom takes it religiously and to fall like this a couple times today (at age 89) and not break anything- I'm going to do a better job of remembering my calcium!!!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Glad to hear your mom isn't breaking bones with her falls but sorry to hear she's falling. Does she use a walker? If so, she may want to get a small collapsible wheel chair for heading to the dining hall. My mother-in-law used one which was a great help. I remember several times almost falling with her as I was helping her up a couple of steps in our house - harder to manage than you think if their balance is off. 

@donovancolbert nice scene! like the lake you made

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Back home from the hospital, her back is bruised and slightly compressed, did not injure the hip further, so she got back to her assisted living apartment around 2:15pm. 

Just got a call (at 3:15p) she fell again in the bathroom. The CNA (nurse) fell too, and another one had to come get her up. It's not funny, but mom has one of those call thingies around her neck, to a private company. So since she and the nurse couldn't get to the call rope on the wall, mom called this outside company. Can you imagine down in the nurses' office, the phone rings and that company says, 'If you're looking for your nurse on the Magnolia Lane hall, Mrs (Name) is sitting on her in the bathroom." 

So twice in one day, but nothing broken. Take your calcium folks, mom takes it religiously and to fall like this a couple times today (at age 89) and not break anything- I'm going to do a better job of remembering my calcium!!!

I'm so glad your mom is going to be fine. The story, like many things in life, may not have been funny at the time, but is pretty darn funny in the retelling.

I concur about taking calcium. I have one of those funny, not-so-funny at the time stories myself, which I won't go into. But I ended up in the emergency room, had both my leg and chest x-rayed, and didn't have a single broken bone. The ER doc said I was really lucky to have such good bone density. (I'm 63, so that's not a given.) Take that calcium! Like milk, "it does a body good."

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2017

Glad she is okay Novica!  Its always scary to get a call like that and I too will be making more of an effort to take my calcium!

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

Sorry to hear, Novica, but glad to know she's ok.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Glad to hear your mom is so sturdy! That's an incredible blessing. Glad she didn't get hurt.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Sorry to hear about your Mum's falls but glad she seems OK. I'll have to put some calcium tabs on my shopping list!

Busy doing my Renderosity downloads (with images) and getting them ready to make the DIM packages. Still just downloading. As I mentioned, I only have 70 orders since 2013, but some orders were large.  I was cruising along with 3-8 things in an order, then hit May 4th of 2015 and I had a lot of things in one order.  Sabby, DMs sets,  OOT Hairblending and hairs, NYC Couture, i13 poses, Z poses, Fashion Blizz, Touchable hairs, and SV7's were all deeply discounted. Overall each averaged only $3.27 a piece. Then I didn't buy again until November. That got me thinking it'd be fun to see what willpower we have- and don't have LOL. 

So, what's your longest dry spell at either Rendo or here within the past couple years? Mine is 6 months at Rendo, and nine days here. While that may sound frequent for here, I don't buy the PC+ items right away, due to the "buy with a new release" marketing. So I wait and scatter out those out, so some orders only have one or two PC+ items in there. I also don't buy the first few days of new releases overall, unless there's a great deal. I've also decided I have enough content for the most part.

Speaking of which, thanks to the vendors who continue to support Genesis 3. I did buy Genesis 8 and love the posing, the facial expressions are wonderful- but I have enough characters that unless it's something unique (like the Raine  or  Honey  characters) I don't need more unless they're great deals. (Even then, I don't NEED them.) 

Okay, time slipped past me again, we need to post our Top 3-5 for June. Today is the 5th, so I'll give a week, through July 12th, for you to post your top picks (minimum 3, up to 5) for the month of June. You have until Daz midnight on the 12th, and here's the explanation/examples with the links to products you've already chosen are here.

For folks who haven't participated, it's easy. You put the product title and link to the product page, then link to your example(s) of your renders that you did between June 1st and June 30th. You don't have to BUY the products between that time, just render them. Tell us your favorites!  Then I do a random drawing for a $5 gift certificate so you can get rich quick. (Translation- just a token of appreciation for folks who take the time to share their opinions.) 

edited July 2017

L'Adair's Top 4 for June 2017

SF Unicorn for DAZ Horse 2     Render
    DA Stonework & Masonry Shaders     Render
    Party Gown Outfit for G3F     Render
    Iray Ghost Light Kit     Render

(I was bored around the first of the month... so I had these ready to go in a text file! lol)

Edited to mimic Barbult's format... a sincere form of flattery.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I haven't embraced gen 8 because it is all female and I just don't need more female characters. That will change when gen 8 male is released. I like the batch installer for rendo files. But I find it adds extra garbage characters in the titles. I have to go back and remove that

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited July 2017

barbult's Top 5 for June 2017

1. Ceridwen    Render
    2. Nyarai for Genesis 3 Female    Render 1   Render 2
    3. Harpwood Trail    Render 1
    4. Victoria 8     Render 1  (I dialed in some of the morphs to make her older and heavier)    Render 2 (again with some morphs dialed in, this time using the randomizer)
    5. Hair Lustre Shaders for Iray   Render 1   Render 2   Render 3
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited July 2017

June 2017  Top 3 - 5  Picks  (Summary Post)

I will add a link to your current month post here, so all the posts are in one place and easy to surf. Then in the third post of the thread, I'll be linking the summary post.  The list of all the picks since January is in the second post of the thread, as are the guidelines.

L'Adair
    Barbult
    Novica
    xmasrose
    sueya
    Ice Dragon Art
    RGCincy
    luci45

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

Novica's Top 5 Picks for June 2017

Woodman House: The Bathroom    Render   Love the lighting and so many details! You get a lot of props with this too. Someone was mentioning one of Marshian's products in another thread, using the clouds for foam. Going vice-versa on that thought, I would think the bathtub bubbles in this product could be used as toon clouds!

Fantasy Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)   Render (Front View)    Render  (Back View)  It had just come off New  status, and I like that it has wisps at the neck but it's not distracting. Very sleek, sophisticated, and also practical. 

Molly HD for Genesis 3 Female(s)    Render   This one was playing around with the skin, so be aware it's not the default.

VYK Raine for Genesis 8 Female    Render    No surprise here!  LOVE this character's skin!  She's actually my top pick for the month. So nice to add Genesis 8 Females to our options, right?

Honey for Genesis 8 Female(s)        Render   Same here- so much fun! 

Honorable  Mention: Markus Zombie for Genesis 3 Male(s)   Render   And the hair (sold separately) really goes with this character. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited July 2017

xmasrose's Top 3 for June

A curious tea      Render

Classical Pool      Render

V4 cuore di moda     Render  (Only the top and hat are from cuore di moda.)  

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

I haven't embraced gen 8 because it is all female and I just don't need more female characters. That will change when gen 8 male is released. I like the batch installer for rendo files. But I find it adds extra garbage characters in the titles. I have to go back and remove that

I have to get back to using it (right now I'm just making folders to put the zips in, once I download them)  I did find that the order I did things really mattered so far as eliminating garbage in the title. For instance, if you are doing the batch option, be sure and check the "combine" files before you even bother to name it. I think likewise with the Package GUID or it resets some things. So the order I did things was to add the files, select combine, then I think I clicked the Package GUID. Not 100% for sure on that last one, it's been a week since I've done it.

edited July 2017

BTW, how do you assign SKUs (not titles)  from other stores? I only shop at Renderosity, so I name them REN then do the date like this- July 5th 2017 order would be 070517  (month, date, year)  then it's 1, 2, 3, etc. Not exactly sure how I will ever use the SKUs though.

The title is, of course, the title. So, do you normally get your products packaged and installed when you buy them, or are you backlogged? I'm backlogged now only to 2015. Yep, "only" because it was 2013, but I went for months without buying anything in all those years so it's not as bad as it sounds. However, 2016 is NOT going to be fun. It's good to do this because it really has shown me what I have, and what I don't need more of. 

I'm not sure what Package GUID does though. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited July 2017

I tend to put the store name in the package name for easy search in dim. So renderosity, cgbytes, sharecg etc.  I am not always consistent though. I create the files as they come but have a lot of backlog since I didn't do it before. I am not bothering with the old content I won't use any longer bought off site.  Unfortunately

I have too much content to check to see if files include a my library folder so about 20 percent of what is in there may not work if thy put that in the file structure. After stuff is installed I will categorize it and any structure errors will be visible. I don't like to fill in all the extra stuff. I usually put the date. I wish there was an easy way auto generate a unique set of numbers and to correct the name of the files that are created with extra garbage but it seems perhaps I must do that manually As long as they install properly I don't care that much but I would prefer the filenames to look good. I really only care that my Genesis 3 stuff and my props are done  correctly. I no longer use gen 4-Genesis 2 content

The  forums are difficult to type in with the iPad as it jumps around. Sorry for any typos

Post edited by Serene Night on

I will get mine done shortly.  I'm working on converting all of my G3F characters over to G8F, mainly because the facial expressions are just so much better.  And, its not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I just saw the Wear Them All's are all in fastgrab - 70% off, excellent price. They're really good for autofitting earlier clothing to newer figures and I'd be lost without them. 

I tell you, it was a SHOCK when i first went to autofit a G3 outfit to G8 and discovered how few options there were in the autofit. I mean, not even "pants"!!! Maybe because I have all the WTA's and Sickleyield's templates for long skirts etc and I'm used to seeing a long list to choose from there...but boy, I thought my autofit was broken at first! I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how they can advertise G8 as the "most backward compatible of them all!", because it simply just isn't true. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

My longest dry spell was at Rendo, where in 2016, i made ONLY two purchases (one in November, one in September). I don't think I've had a huge dry spell here - usually because there are always a freebie or PC item to pick up.  

Novica said:

So, what's your longest dry spell at either Rendo or here within the past couple years? Mine is 6 months at Rendo, and nine days here.

• sueyasueya Posts: 825
    edited July 2017

Finally found time to try out Genesis 8 so I thought I'd share my first image. This is Genesis 8 with Eva 7 skin texture, G3 Girly locks hair and G3 Athletic gear. The pants fitted without any adjustment.

The free pose convertor was used to convert the pose which is from the Sweet Home poses set for G3F

Post edited by sueya on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825
    edited July 2017
    Post edited by sueya on
    edited July 2017

Sonja's Top Picks For June

1.First Bath - Believe it or not this is the Millenium Dragon 2.  Still a really great dragon.

2. King of the Swamp - Creech Evolution by Greybro and Sixus 1 Media - one of my favorite creatures ever. Super versatile and you can dial in just parts like hands or feet or whatever.  Really well done.

3.Can I Help You? - Medieval Study I don't think the promor pictures show all the possibilities of this set.  Its a long narrow room, almost a corridor but it has some really lovely props and you can really do a lot with it. You would never know that this room was a part of that long narrow space.  And the windows are beautiful.

4. A Short Break - A Touch of Dirt Iray -  a quick and easy way to add dirt and grime to things without using postwork.  I used it on the droid and on her skin and clothing.

I did not render a lot last month at all lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

RGcincy's Top 5 Picks for June 2017

Single Homes Bundle One   Example 1   Example 2   Example 3     Very nice set of large Victorian homes with a "make a street" option

1stBastions Neighbours: Front Drive   Examples    A small neighborhood of private homes that has various background elements that can be included

Old Beach Pavilion   Render    An older product that looks good in Iray

Ecomantics - Efficient Ecosystems    Render    Another older 3DL product that works well in Iray. An easy way to add grass and trees to a scene

Tramp Steamer    Render    And yet a third older product. Some 3D models show their age and aren't up to today's standards while others look just as good (and many times can be purchased at a good price)

Just a quick heads up, if anyone is interested in VWD. Rendo has it on sale right now for $40 and the Daz Studio bridge for $10. (I recently picked up VWD at 50% off, but the bridge wasn't on sale. I was just checking on it, and save $5 for waiting. $50 for both is still good.)

This discussion has been closed.