Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I agree. Not buying new releases as the prices ar a bit high for me right now. Even with the multi-item discount I'm waiting for a better deal. At any rate it is tough for me to buy single items of clothing in excess of 10 dollars or more repeatable poses when I have so many.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@Nath-  do you have Zip Speedy? That would be a fun one to do. I've got him, but headed out the door for a couple hours.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I have him, in the same dusty Poser directory as Andy (and a lot of other things that need re-exploring), and even out of the box -not even the Iray uber base applied- he's so cute...

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

I agree. Not buying new releases as the prices ar a bit high for me right now. Even with the multi-item discount I'm waiting for a better deal. At any rate it is tough for me to buy single items of clothing in excess of 10 dollars or more repeatable poses when I have so many.

Yeah, I don't like a lot of the new releases. I did get the https://www.daz3d.com/sf-horrible-slime-iray which I used here and have to experiment with to get out the grain. 

Old Industrial Hallway003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

Ooh, nice and icky!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited April 2017

I'm always happy when they put a page full of modern day stuff up.  Then I'm not tempted lol.  I am waiting for a couple of specific things and I don't have any desire to spend the rest of my gift card on anything else. I spent enough on MM, its going to have to be really grand to get me to buy stuff not on my short list.  Speaking of which, I have it on good authority that Creech is coming much sooner rather than later so those of you waiting for him/her keep an eye out on the store this week.

Edited to add that I always feel kind of bad for the artists with new releases coming out the month after the big sales... I hope they still do well anyway.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Zip Speedy's fun - looks good in Iray. I didn't customise him beyond the uberbase. The other character is the Toon alien - with new textures applied to everything

zip speedy 2.jpg
    902 x 902 - 582K
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I'm probably going to get Whitemagus's chestnut trees in a day or two, depending on what else drops in that time frame. I really like the dorm set and the poses; it seems pretty applicable to children too, which is not always true of i13's sets. But it goes on the wishlist for now because I have no planned use for it.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

If any of you play around in Hexagon, I'd love it if you would check out this thread: 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/161561/problem-with-fugazi-s-genesis-bikini-tutorial

And let me know if you have any suggestions. I didn't want to clutter up this thread with this post, but I feel like I'm more likely to get good advice from the people who frequent this thread. 

DSDT said:
    Novica said:

Oh, that is SO COOL!!!! (and surprising.) That vendor was a genius for thinking of it! I wonder how well it sold. (Yep, I have it.) 

But the CC license stays with the item, the PA can never hold a copyright on the item, so anyone who bought the model could freely and legally share it with their friends or put in on sharecg for that matter, unless I'm misunderstanding the creative common license. Regardless, risky ground to walk on if you want to make a buck.

I think Creative Commons allows you to copyright your derivative work created from a Creative Commons base... 

So - this author can retain and enforce copyright on their unique derivative work creating a CGI 3D Android mascot model. 

But anyone else is free to make one too, and to sell it, and he can't stop THAT. He has a copyright on HIS specific creation - but that is it. 

Which is why Creative Commons and Copyleft is kind of a minefield. 

DSDT said:
    Novica said:

Oh, that is SO COOL!!!! (and surprising.) That vendor was a genius for thinking of it! I wonder how well it sold. (Yep, I have it.) 

But the CC license stays with the item, the PA can never hold a copyright on the item, so anyone who bought the model could freely and legally share it with their friends or put in on sharecg for that matter, unless I'm misunderstanding the creative common license. Regardless, risky ground to walk on if you want to make a buck.

I think Creative Commons allows you to copyright your derivative work created from a Creative Commons base... 

So - this author can retain and enforce copyright on their unique derivative work creating a CGI 3D Android mascot model. 

But anyone else is free to make one too, and to sell it, and he can't stop THAT. He has a copyright on HIS specific creation - but that is it. 

Which is why Creative Commons and Copyleft is kind of a minefield. 

Whereas, I can create any kind of cute cartoon mouse I want... but if it looks even a LITTLE bit like Mickey Mouse - I'm probably going to end up talking to Disney's lawyers if my mouse gets popular. 

edited April 2017

I'm probably going to get Whitemagus's chestnut trees in a day or two, depending on what else drops in that time frame. I really like the dorm set and the poses; it seems pretty applicable to children too, which is not always true of i13's sets. But it goes on the wishlist for now because I have no planned use for it.

Check out Predatron's trees and bushes. UberBase and they are Iray compatible (the older ones.) I also used a silk shader on some trees one time and they looked really good!  You get a lot in scenes, I don't know off-hand how many of these are individual props, but look at how many there are! 

Wasteground Vignette  (use that link to go on into the store, shop around. Neat trees and bushes.)

Post edited by Novica on
    cismic said:

Yeah, I don't like a lot of the new releases. I did get the https://www.daz3d.com/sf-horrible-slime-iray which I used here and have to experiment with to get out the grain. 

I bought the slime product but haven't used it yet. Bought a lot in march madness! I like what you did with that though.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited April 2017

On Islandgirl's G2M version of IGD Valborg Poses for Genesis 3 Male, IslandGirl said DAZ wasn't interested, so she'll be selling them at Rendo. Just an FYI for those who were interested in the G2M version. The M4 and G3M versions are here at DAZ.

Post edited by firewarden on

On Islandgirl's G2M version of IGD Valborg Poses for Genesis 3 Male, IslandGirl said DAZ wasn't interested, so she'll be selling them at Rendo. Just an FYiI for those who were interested in the G2M version. The M4 and G3M versions are here at DAZ.

Thank you for letting us know.  I will snag those when they are up.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Seems silly to carry two of the products here but turn down the third. I've noticed Gen 4 and Genesis 2 are alive and well at Rendo. Nice to see new products out for older generations. I get excited when I occasionally see that here. Been a while. I think Lord of the Snow for M4 is the last time I remember that happening. My guess is that product was already in production for RDNA before they moved over, though I could be wrong. I guess each store has to decide what their main focus is. DAZ seems totally into innovation, which is awesome, and I'm grateful for the rock bottom discounts on older stuff, but it would be nice to see a few new things for the oldie but goodie models. They are still perfectly usable! 

A year ago everyone was complaining about G3 and saying that they had all their money and content invested in G2 and they had no desire to change to a new generation so quickly. I remember all the conversations. Personally, I had put together a mostly Freebie content library, and it was mostly G2 oriented, so I tended to agree. 

Over the last year, with the blowout sales, my G3 library is now as robust, if not more, than my G2 library - and I find myself moving stuff right past G2 to G3 with utilities like Cayman's UV sets and GenX2. 

And there is no doubt that renders of G3 take less effort to look better. 

And I don't know if you've noticed, but there aren't a lot of those, "I'll give up G2 when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands," conversations going on in the forums anymore. 

Same thing will happen whenever G4 does come out. Although worrying about THAT has been going on ever since last year, too. 

People don't like change... Windows, Office, Illustrator and Photoshop... whatever they use daily... they hate it when something changes and they feel it is just some trick to get them to spend more money. 

But then a year down the road, they feel the same way about whatever the new thing was that they used to hate, most often. 

I'm as guilty as anyone. I still grumble about the supscription only CC model Adobe has now. I'd rather pay $600 each for perpetual licenses to a static version of Photoshop and Illustrator and have it and know I can still run it 20 years from now rather than pay for it as a service. 

Well, I guess I am a die hard G2f lover lol.  I will admit to having a robust selection of G3F characters but I still like G2F better.  And I can't stand the G3M although I do have some, mostly DarwinsMishaps and GypsyAngel's boys.  Some of the other G3M's but I really just don't like the base model.

I agree with you on the Photoshop though, I really dislike the subscription program (for anything really).  If I remember correctly I can't use it if I don't have internet which means I can't use it when we go camping.  Which is almost every weekend over the summer.  Fortunately I have Elements and can use that if I have to although its missing some of my favorite tools.

edited April 2017

Wasteground Vignette has a great breakdown of props. The instances are all separate, the rubble, tires, metal, etc are all different props, and having the bushes and trees as instances really speeds it up. I would wishlist this one, it renders at a decent rate. 35% at 5 minutes. Done in 21 minutes.

I just used the same backdrop that I had for Honey Bolt, this is with the default Iray lighting. The ISO is 165 and the Exposure Value 13.44 (Remember to always do ISO first, because that changes the Exposure Value. THEN you do the Exposure Value, because that changes Shutter Speed, NOT the ISO.)  

I was basically just checking the props for you. The ground cover plants are not instances, nor are the grass, rubble, trash, fence, tree, crate, small bush. The instances are the duplicates of the small bush and the trees in back. 

wasteground vignette.png
    963 x 1100 - 2M
    wasteground vignette2.png
    963 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2017
    Novica said:

Check out Predatron's trees and bushes. UberBase and they are Iray compatible (the older ones.) I also used a silk shader on some trees one time and they looked really good!  You get a lot in scenes, I don't know off-hand how many of these are individual props, but look at how many there are! 

Wasteground Vignette  (use that link to go on into the store, shop around. Neat trees and bushes.)

I have a lot of that stuff on my wishlist too! Vignette! Predatron trees! And I had Merlin's trees in bloom up until recently but I think I got them from Fastgrab? Or did I talk myself out? I'll have to check that.

But with Whitemagus... I already have EVERYTHING ELSE released. Can't say that about any other vendor yet (though TangoAlpha is close). I thought it'd be fun to keep up the streak and also it sounds like the chestnuts are lighter weight than the color trees.

ETA: bah, sad. I got Merlin's secret garden but resisted the Trees in Bloom when they were in fastgrab as part of a bundle. Regret!

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
    edited April 2017

When Fredel's WONDERFUL FD Odelle 3GF was rejected here at Daz and she was an instant hit over at Renderosity. Fredel came onto my thread and mentioned Jun was in the works for release over there. That was quite awhile ago. But wait no longer! 

Post edited by Novica on

Odelle is gorgeous - I have Jun wishlisted already

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

A year ago everyone was complaining about G3 and saying that they had all their money and content invested in G2 and they had no desire to change to a new generation so quickly. I remember all the conversations. Personally, I had put together a mostly Freebie content library, and it was mostly G2 oriented, so I tended to agree. 

Over the last year, with the blowout sales, my G3 library is now as robust, if not more, than my G2 library - and I find myself moving stuff right past G2 to G3 with utilities like Cayman's UV sets and GenX2. 

And I don't know if you've noticed, but there aren't a lot of those, "I'll give up G2 when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands," conversations going on in the forums anymore. 

Same thing will happen whenever G4 does come out. Although worrying about THAT has been going on ever since last year, too. 

People don't like change... Windows, Office, Illustrator and Photoshop... whatever they use daily... they hate it when something changes and they feel it is just some trick to get them to spend more money. 

But then a year down the road, they feel the same way about whatever the new thing was that they used to hate, most often. 

I'm as guilty as anyone. I still grumble about the supscription only CC model Adobe has now. I'd rather pay $600 each for perpetual licenses to a static version of Photoshop and Illustrator and have it and know I can still run it 20 years from now rather than pay for it as a service. 

I think the grumbling stopped because it fell on deaf ears, not because we conceded. I still like Genesis 2 and Genesis better than Genesis 3 and the new tools like Anagenessis don't make me move towards G3, quite the opposite, they breathe new life into the older figures and I realize there's no give up my favorites. And then there's the free scripts to convert the pose files, the clothing filts better across the different older generations. And then there's the other weird thing, the biggest problem in my opinion, I find a lot of the newer G3F and G3M figures very bland and plastic looking. I don't know why that is, but I just don't like the looks of most of them.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I've noticed that some G3 figures have to be very carefully lit to look right. Otherwise, they do look plastic. I think it's the skin shaders on some of them. You can even see it in some of the promos. In that case. Anagenessis might work better than the shaders that actually came with the figure. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    DSDT said:

I think the grumbling stopped because it fell on deaf ears, not because we conceded. I still like Genesis 2 and Genesis better than Genesis 3 and the new tools like Anagenessis don't make me move towards G3, quite the opposite, they breathe new life into the older figures and I realize there's no give up my favorites. And then there's the free scripts to convert the pose files, the clothing filts better across the different older generations. And then there's the other weird thing, the biggest problem in my opinion, I find a lot of the newer G3F and G3M figures very bland and plastic looking. I don't know why that is, but I just don't like the looks of most of them.

I have to agree, the grumbling died down not because people gave up and started using G3 but because whats the point of complaining when its not going to change anything. I am still very much in love with G2f and will not give her up anytime soon. With the ability to use G3f skins on G2f and auto fit I will continue to use G2f well into the future. There is also a thread that has a script to use G3 poses on G2 so why change? 

Personally, I prefer G3. Cannot abide G2 Male with the weird temples and breasts and seldom use any of the previous generations, except the unusual ones like aliens.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

Wasteground Vignette has a great breakdown of props. The instances are all separate, the rubble, tires, metal, etc are all different props, and having the bushes and trees as instances really speeds it up. I would wishlist this one, it renders at a decent rate. 35% at 5 minutes. Done in 21 minutes.

Wishlisted! This has a really nice variety of shapes and textures doesn't it,

I use both G2 and G3 interchangeably and frequently - and I think all the complaints about either tend to be by people who haven't really gotten involved in the generation they DON'T like, whichever generation that is. 

The complaints above are all true - but I've got a list of complaints about G2, also. G3 characters can have this "latex" quality to its skin - and a few vendors have more trouble with this than others. On the other hand, some of the G3 characters have the most realistic skin maps without a lot of fussing of any characters I've ever used. In general, you can move just about any thing anywhere and get anything to work with any generation with enough preserverence. Poses, props, clothes. There are a lot of different techniques, methods and utilities to help getting there. Where gaps exist in G2 *and* G3 - that can be the deciding factor leading someone to decide to go with the OTHER generation instead. 

I've been playing around with moving generation 3 (V3, M3) figures, characters, skin maps and content to Genesis 3. If I can get a clone shape, morphs, materials and clothes from Victoria 4 to work fine with Genesis 3...  Heck.. Genesis 3 MALE... 

The idea that any one generation is that much superior to any other generation seems to be just a matter of subjective opinion and personal preference, to me. But... I have focused a lot of my DAZ purchases toward utilities that make that kind of cross generation flexibility practical - and that wasn't always cheap. 

edited April 2017

Nope, got plenty involved in gen 2 as my wallet and runtime suggests. I used it, while it was the only game in town, and gladly gave it up when Gen 3 came out. 

Post edited by Serene Night on

Yeah - but overall - I think yours is the minority attitude among those who've been involved for a long time. I see a lot more people who love G2 and dislike G3, than people who gladly gave up G2 for G3 and never looked back. Or at least, the G2 fans are more vocal about expressing that G3 isn't their favorite. 

This discussion has been closed.