Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    barbult said:

May I bring up the topic of Inked again? I used the Map Transfer tool in the Surfaces pane menu to convert the tattoos to Ivan 7's UV. It literally took me hours to figure out how to accomplish this. The result is not perfect, and it has some small seam issues, but it is so much better than trying to put the G3M Base Male tattoos on Ivan, Remember that mess?

Wow, that looks great! He's a good choice to go with that tattoo.

barbult said:

Here is my Talisken render. The hair is great. The character morph is weird. wink Here I tried to de-weird her a bit by mixing in the Una morph that she comes with and also a few 200 Plus morphs for eyes and nose. She still looks pretty weird, though. You can't take the Talisken out of Talisken, I guess.

This is the first time Talsken actually looks worthwhile. Good morphing! 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    RGcincy said:

Rabbicus to the Rescue!

@Novica Your husband contacted Rabbicus and asked him to help bring you a fresh box of chocolates. Somehow the top came off and Rabbicus didn't have the fingers to put it back on, but he only lost a few. At least they aren't melted.

[For those new to the thread, here's the start of the Rabbicus story. It went on for a number of months but he's always in waiting.]

LOL!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oh Rich, you (and my hubby LOL) made my year with Rabbicus! Those chocolates were yummy, thank you, and not a single one was melted!  yes

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Happy Anniversary!

edited March 2017

Okay, now you went and did it. I'm trying to find the other posts. I found this one of Rabbicus and went to page 98 of that thread, didn't see the other ones. Wasn't there one of two sailboats, one with my avatar and the other of Rabbicus? LOVED those boats.

Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Here is my Talisken render. The hair is great. The character morph is weird. wink Here I tried to de-weird her a bit by mixing in the Una morph that she comes with and also a few 200 Plus morphs for eyes and nose. She still looks pretty weird, though. You can't take the Talisken out of Talisken, I guess.

She kind of has a Madonna look to her now.

RGcincy said:

Rabbicus to the Rescue!

@Novica Your husband contacted Rabbicus and asked him to help bring you a fresh box of chocolates. Somehow the top came off and Rabbicus didn't have the fingers to put it back on, but he only lost a few. At least they aren't melted.

[For those new to the thread, here's the start of the Rabbicus story. It went on for a number of months but he's always in waiting.]

Too cute!!!

Shanghai Style for Genesis

So I just got around to rendering Shanghai Style, which was in the Fast Grab the other day. This is a nice set with classic lines. Everything can easily be reshaded. Sure, it can be Asian, but I think sci fi shaders would look really cool on this outfit.

Here is the jumpsuit on the lovely Pix Jingfei for G3F and matching corset and MFD textures on Aiko 3. I'm working on using Cross Dresser to get the jumpsuit on Aiko 3.

The MFD textures work on all MFDs. The corset was an interesting surprise. You can't fit it to Aiko, but you can parent it, and it has FMBs for her and every generation that can wear on MFD. What a nice surprise!

There are pair of shoes too, I couldn't get them to fit right to either of them yet.

The textures of the dress and jumpsuit render fine in Iray with no tinkering at all. The corset is another matter. If you throw Uber on it, the thing literally disappears. I used Parrot Dolphin's base shaders, the "Satin but keep images" setting worked. It made it a little darker, but still looks good. 

I also used DA Real World Lighting, which I've never tried. So if the lighting looks a little odd, that's why. I'm also still trying to find the right Iray shaders for Aiko 3. That's Stonemason's Streets of Asia 2 behind them with no additional shaders. It renders great!

shanghai corset.JPG
    307 x 438 - 36K
    Pix Jingfei3.png
    969 x 910 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Happy anniversary, Novica!  Sorry to hear about the chocolates. 

@RGcincy  Love that Rabbicus!

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad I like cherries, because when the cordials melted, the juice got all over EVERYTHING, including the card. It was so soggy the sides and ends of the box literally flattened. When the UPS dude knocked and RAN to his truck, I should have known something was wrong LOL. The goo was even on the outside of package. I hope he got sticky fingers when he picked it up! 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,694
    barbult said:

Looks great! I think she's best as a fantasy character, fairy or something. I actually was interested in the weird morphs for that, but not the ugly teeth!

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

Okay, now you went and did it. I'm trying to find the other posts. I found this one of Rabbicus and went to page 98 of that thread, didn't see the other ones. Wasn't there one of two sailboats, one with my avatar and the other of Rabbicus? LOVED those boats.

Here is the sailboats. And the contest entry. And your comment which started it all, followed by my first render. (And my restored rabbicus avator for a while.)

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,694
    edited March 2017

Well, I spent a ton on Cookie stuff today. I already had her and some other things from RDNA days but decided to get back into her. She's cute and has a lot of morphs but lacking lip, fingernail and toenail surfaces to color them! I think I will end up making my own face textures for her with makeup because those seem to be lacking. Weirdly there is a new Cookie product in March Madness. I wonder if they are accepting new products for such an old character???

Also, I tried rendering her in Iray and not sure I got the skin right. I might as well render her in Poser since it's much faster anyway!

Tried rendering the second one in 3Delight which took seconds! I just used the camera headlamp so got weird shadows but I think I like it better!

Cookie Test.JPG
    563 x 599 - 72K
    Cookie2.JPG
    595 x 577 - 85K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

@wonderland   I like the way she looks!

@RGcincy   And just WHY is your sailboat ahead of mine???? devil

Novica said:

And just WHY is your sailboat ahead of mine???? devil

1. Beginner's luck
    2. Artistic license
    3. Cacti get to the point first
    edited March 2017

Well, I spent a ton on Cookie stuff today. I already had her and some other things from RDNA days but decided to get back into her. She's cute and has a lot of morphs but lacking lip, fingernail and toenail surfaces to color them! I think I will end up making my own face textures for her with makeup because those seem to be lacking. Weirdly there is a new Cookie product in March Madness. I wonder if they are accepting new products for such an old character???

Also, I tried rendering her in Iray and not sure I got the skin right. I might as well render her in Poser since it's much faster anyway!

Tried rendering the second one in 3Delight which took seconds! I just used the camera headlamp so got weird shadows but I think I like it better!

She's adorable in both! I grabbed a bunch of Cookie stuff today too. Can't wait to render her, you did a great job!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Sometimes, some characters look better in 3Delight. Sometimes expressions and details seem to get lost in iray. You might get more "photorealistic" results - but you lose some hard shadows that actually bring more depth to the image. Especially when you're using a character not really designed for photorealistic renders - it seems like 3Delight might be the way to go. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2017

Talisken by herself is too much for me, but she mixes nicely with other morphs. This image in my gallery is 33% each of Talisken, Genevieve 7, and FWSA Chastity. All the products I used are linked in the gallery.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2017

She is a great contribution in the gene pool!

Did anyone notice the line going through the bottom lip, the very bottom of it-  of the new Trish character? You can see it in the main promo, and the first promo of the second row of the thumbnails. It's on Jenn too. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Well, I spent a ton on Cookie stuff today. I already had her and some other things from RDNA days but decided to get back into her. She's cute and has a lot of morphs but lacking lip, fingernail and toenail surfaces to color them!

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/we-got-nails-/76848

- Conforming finger- and toenails for Cookie (cr2)
    (with a bodymorph to make long fingernails)
    - Conforming finger- and toenails for Chip (cr2)
    - 6 natural Mat Poses (pz2) to match Cookie &
    Chip's basic skintones
    - 26 colour Mat Poses (pz2) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Novica said:

She is a great contribution in the gene pool!

Did anyone notice the line going through the bottom lip, the very bottom of it-  of the new Trish character? You can see it in the main promo, and the first promo of the second row of the thumbnails. It's on Jenn too. 

You are right. That looks unusual. Both characters are from the same vendor.

edited March 2017

So how does that work? I like the materials- would that be an error in the morphs? Or is the texture map not aligned? I know absolutely nothing about texturing and maps so far as how they relate to the morphs. (In other words, I don't know what needs to be fixed)  I like the materials on Trish.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

LY Serenity       Patty Clothes (Gen3F / Star 2.0)     Patty Clothes Morphs and Textures      Honey Buns Hair       Angelic For Aiko 7   (Pose in first image)

The Patty Clothes are fun with all the different materials. I don't care for the end of the sleeves, I had to literally go into Scene tab and use the Bend Forearm and scale that up on the sweater (the outside piece you see) to avoid the pokethrough, as the morphs adjusted past the limits still didn't work enough. So watch the sleeves. It has nice morphs for the skirt, to help it raise up and down and fit better. A very fun outfit!  The second hair is Dax Hair, which we've featured many times previously. 

I need to adjust the tiling on the green shirt, to see if I can get it to align better, but this gives you some idea of the outfit. 

Serenity PattyClothes HoneyBunHr.png
    786 x 1000 - 966K
    Serenity PattyClothes HoneyBunHr2.png
    486 x 1030 - 394K
    Serenity PattyClothes HoneyBunHr3.png
    686 x 1030 - 612K
    Serenity PattyClothes DaxHair.png
    686 x 1030 - 893K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

Yeah, you reminded me why I have Star and the Patty Bundle in my wishlist... I basically want both for the clothes. Maybe I should just buy the Patty clothes and skip Star and Patty. :) 

That thing on the lip... I think that is actually an "artifact" from the photo-reference for the skin map. I'm not sure if it is something to due with the way the lipstick is put on, but this is something that looks completely natural to me and that I feel like I see in a lot of women wearing makeup. You're talking about the line that runs from one corner of the mouth to the other just slightly above the bottom of the bottom lip, right? 

I think that is a detail that enhances photorealism, not an error, from what I see in the picture above. 

There is a line where the texture on real lips goes from larger to smaller, as it blends back intot he face. Cover it with heavy red lipstick, and it looks like the render above. 

Laura-Mercier-Daiquiri-Lip-Glacé-lip-closeup.jpg
    700 x 322 - 83K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Novica said:

I know some of you don't always get the PC newsletter, so do note you get the Marcoor Control Room for 99 cents when you have another of todays new PC items in the cart. (NOT the poses, the actual Control Room.)  Frankly, IMO the poses for it aren't that unique, nothing you wouldn't already have in other pose packs.

Just a note on poses. I think most of us buy poses because they'll save time. A time saver with a pose pack like these for the control room, is that it puts the character in place in the scene. Especially useful when the character sits and/or interacts with something in the scene. The sitting character in the main promo image for the pose set is a good example. And at PC+ prices it might still be a good deal, even if the poses themselves aren't that unique.

edited March 2017

So, the 50% off on Horror Places and Things offer on the Bonus Buyer program had a couple items on my wishlist, including: 

https://www.daz3d.com/rundown-bedroom

I was on the fence, but the deal brings the price on the set down to about $7. I was sitting there considering this, when I realized that the room was probably far more versatile than it looks. 

It is. Different material zones for almost everything, you can add or hide walls, floor and ceiling. Even wall switches, door frames, door handles, are different material zones. Objects can be moved around. It is a very well done set. Imaginary House hit a home run with this one. 

It makes me want to pick up Rundown Apartment, too. 

https://www.daz3d.com/rundown-apartment

So, I did a quick sample render trying to take the room in as much the opposite direction as possible, and here are my results. Lots of freebie props, various shaders, plants, the fence pack is in there, Terradome HDRI sky... I wasn't paying attention to exactly what I was using as I tossed this togther. It was what we were talking about in the Always Another Sale thread - I just love it when I can repurpose a content in a way that is absolutely opposite of what it was designed for. This one knocks it out of the park in that regard. 

bedroom.jpg
    1620 x 891 - 848K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
    isidorn said:
    Novica said:

I know some of you don't always get the PC newsletter, so do note you get the Marcoor Control Room for 99 cents when you have another of todays new PC items in the cart. (NOT the poses, the actual Control Room.)  Frankly, IMO the poses for it aren't that unique, nothing you wouldn't already have in other pose packs.

Just a note on poses. I think most of us buy poses because they'll save time. A time saver with a pose pack like these for the control room, is that it puts the character in place in the scene. Especially useful when the character sits and/or interacts with something in the scene. The sitting character in the main promo image for the pose set is a good example. And at PC+ prices it might still be a good deal, even if the poses themselves aren't that unique.

So true! I look at them as shortcuts, and almost always tweak them anyhow. 

@donavancolbert Nice render! Glad to hear that room is so versatile.

@donavancolbert Good changes! The basic shape of the room reminds me of a motel room

Good changes! The basic shape of the room reminds me of a motel room

Absolutely. If would easily stand in as a motel room with just a little kitbashing. Add a AC unit under the window, a round table and a couple of chairs in the corner where I put the lamp, an entertainment console on the wall next to that, and a twin bed on the wall opposite of it, and you've got every Red Roof Inn ever.  It is those little architectural columns on either side of the bed that give it that roadhouse feeling. Add a pool element outside of the window and line up a row of the outside wall of this prop done with a stucco shader on the other side of the pool, and you would be good to go. I had been thinking that if you just put some office buildings across the window - you could make it look like a room in an apartment, condo or high-rise. 

The only reason I held off on the Rundown Apartment is that I think with this room as a base and the same kind of props (TV, couch, end table...) and some shaders, you could get pretty much the same thing out of this kit. The props from Rundown Apartment are what interest me... those couches could go a long way, and the TV and TV stand are really well done for pre HDTV LCDs - something that is hard to find in my experience. 

I think this is a set that you can get a lot of mileage out of with just a little creativity. Really happy with it for the price I paid. 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I have both Rundown Bedroom and Rundown Apartment. The latter I've even used. Twice! I just realized it's been a while now since they were new. This render I made is about 1½ year old. The other one I did I never uploaded to my gallery as the character's skin wasn't good. Think I used the wrong materials or something. So I'm attaching that.

With the ideas here, I need to look more into that bedroom sometime.

Alone.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 478K
    barbult said:

Talisken by herself is too much for me, but she mixes nicely with other morphs. This image in my gallery is 33% each of Talisken, Genevieve 7, and FWSA Chastity. All the products I used are linked in the gallery.

Now this is gorgeous.  She honestly freaks me out just a bit, but she looks really beautiful in this render.

isidorn said:
    Novica said:

People use poses straight out of the box?  I have always assumed that they were a great starting point but never the end point.  I can't think of one time I used a pose straight out of the box except for the first couple of weeks, mostly because I had no clue where to go to move them lol.  Many of them are close, some of them are even really close but I always have to adjust.  But I love go to poses for a given set as it totally saves the hassle of spending a half an hour just getting the person over to the prop.

This discussion has been closed.