Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2017

This is the Hidden Burial Grounds with Brittany (Gen3F)  wearing Riverwillow (Gen3F)  and then the Hidden Burial Grounds used for interior decor. This is a great set for vegetation- the trees alone are worth the price. The Sleek Interior Room has the basics for a room, with nice glass tables and knick-knacks. Not shown- the large windows across the end of the room (from where the camera was placed) which will allow for easy lighting. This had one ghost light added.

Note the couch- I was originally attracted to the room because of the chrome "holder" around the couch. A bit different than the typical couches.

So that's my scene-bashing. Back to you, Rich! (and whomever else wants to play. Come on, have some fun!) 

There's SO much stuff packed in. You can use the ground for other renders, the pine trees in the background are amazing, there's clumps of tall spindly weeds- a lot of variety.

You can see the great detail in the bark.  She's thinking, "How did I get up here? And WHY?" 

Scene bashing. The Burial Grounds come indoors to a modern room. And no, I did NOT know there was an elephant's painting on the wall. I had done this set once before and I completely forgot about it.

She's thinking, "What IS that thing on my coffee table? And WHY?" 

I actually really like this for the wall decor and bones over there arching over the books. Rather neat. The rest is a bit overkill (no pun intended.) 

Rendering the trees for you now (the pines.) It's a large render and going fairly slow, so it will be about half an hour. (it's at 27 percent for 13 minutes, but it's 1100 pixels and a lot of trees.)  These (or one of these) would be great to put outside the window of the Sleek Interior Room or any other set. 

SleekInteriorRoomhiddenBurialGroundA.png
    981 x 1100 - 2M
    SleekInteriorRoomhiddenBurialGroundB.png
    1281 x 1100 - 2M
    hiddenBurialGroundBrittanyFlashyHairRiverWillow.png
    981 x 1100 - 2M
    hiddenburialgroundsFWartIrayEnvirLites.png
    981 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

This is the Hidden Burial Grounds pine trees. Lovely details. The trunks have a lot of twisted character. 

hiddenBurialGroundTrees.png
    1280 x 974 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Before March Madness starts, I'm going back 30 days and listing what I bought and what I paid. (Your emails will show that, NOT the Product Library.) It has to be done by days, as when the next day comes, that 31st day stuff has to be removed as outside the 30 days to get the difference if there's a lower price. And during MM, there will be in all likelihood.  When MM starts, file tickets for the difference. It adds up.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

This is the Hidden Burial Grounds with Brittany (Gen3F)  wearing Riverwillow (Gen3F)  and then the Hidden Burial Grounds used for interior decor. This is a great set for vegetation- the trees alone are worth the price. The Sleek Interior Room has the basics for a room, with nice glass tables and knick-knacks. Not shown- the large windows across the end of the room (from where the camera was placed) which will allow for easy lighting. This had one ghost light added.

Note the couch- I was originally attracted to the room because of the chrome "holder" around the couch. A bit different than the typical couches.

So that's my scene-bashing. Back to you, Rich! (and whomever else wants to play. Come on, have some fun!) 

There's SO much stuff packed in. You can use the ground for other renders, the pine trees in the background are amazing, there's clumps of tall spindly weeds- a lot of variety.

You can see the great detail in the bark.  She's thinking, "How did I get up here? And WHY?" 

Scene bashing. The Burial Grounds come indoors to a modern room. And no, I did NOT know there was an elephant's painting on the wall. I had done this set once before and I completely forgot about it.

She's thinking, "What IS that thing on my coffee table? And WHY?" 

I actually really like this for the wall decor and bones over there arching over the books. Rather neat. The rest is a bit overkill (no pun intended.) 

Rendering the trees for you now (the pines.) It's a large render and going fairly slow, so it will be about half an hour. (it's at 27 percent for 13 minutes, but it's 1100 pixels and a lot of trees.)  These (or one of these) would be great to put outside the window of the Sleek Interior Room or any other set. 

It is cool images. I like it very mach. yes

• Novica said:

Before March Madness starts, I'm going back 30 days and listing what I bought and what I paid. (Your emails will show that, NOT the Product Library.) It has to be done by days, as when the next day comes, that 31st day stuff has to be removed as outside the 30 days to get the difference if there's a lower price. And during MM, there will be in all likelihood.  When MM starts, file tickets for the difference. It adds up.

Is this an official policy? I find everytime I buy something it goes on sale a few days later. You mean I could get refunds for these things if it iswithin 30 days?

I found this thread which references the 30 day return policy. In effect, you have 30 days to return a product, which means you can "return" it and rebuy it, but what you should do is ask customer service to credit you with the difference. I don't usually nickel and dime the vendors, but if something is several dollars difference and I've bought a lot of stuff, that would add up. The reason I'm tracking it for MM is that I bought some things at only 30% off so if they are 50% or more, I'm going to get the difference. 

I didn't find the link to the 30 day policy, anyone know where it is?

• Ya, I bought some stuff at full price (stupid me) and litereally the next day it was 50% off. Do you know is this applies to gift cards as well?

I don't know if there is a return policy on gift cards. I'm not clear whether it is a "price guarantee" or a return policy on products, but you get the price guarantee because you CAN return products. With gift cards, I don't know if they can be "returned." I'll google and see if I see anything from someone official, I hate to guess.

edited February 2017

Well, here's the policy on returns. Memberships and gift cards are excluded.

Better Than Risk Free We're so convinced that you'll like our products that we offer a 30-day money back guarantee with every purchase made on our site! Try out any product in our store for thirty days. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase we'll give you your money back. Daz 3d Logo Small And that's more than a guarantee. It's our personal promise. Comprehensive Customer Service: If you have any questions about any of the items listed above, the Platinum Savings Club and membership benefits, or about anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us. Our sales support staff will gladly answer any questions you may have. (Gift Card and Platinum Club Memberships and renewals are excluded).

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    Novica said:

Yes, good idea! Actually I've only been buying Fastgrabs, multi-sale-stackers and a few new PC+ items recently - I really hope MM has pricing that can beat those prices wink!

edited February 2017

I can pretty much tell what was discounted at the time, aka if I have a lot of i13's stuff, or Zeddicuss poses, all lumped together in one order- I'll know there must've been a sale on those. So I'll know to watch that (those) vendors. So if you do this, think about using the Product Library and clicking on the store pages to note the vendor. I have that in the far right column so I can breeze down and pluck out products that way (in case stores go on sale, not particular items.) 

Post edited by Novica on

And btw, I don't believe that script that shows you the lowest price recently will work- it only shows the price in the store, NOT what price you can get with creatively adding things to the cart to trigger discounts. 

Oh hey, heads up- if you're doing this- the date in your inbox isn't necessarily the date the order was placed, which is the 30 day timeframe. It will say at the top of the page (once you click your email and open it) the date you ordered. That one day can make a difference. Orders I placed at 11pm Central time should NOT be showing for the next day, DAZ is two hours BEHIND me. So watch for that.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

RGcincy very good work! Today came the update for "On the Shore", and other products, that eliminates problems with the white and black spots in the DAZ Studio 4.9.3.166.

thanks, it helps when you have good products to work with. I really like the variety of vegetation you have in On the Shore.

Novica said:

Nice wall decor!  

edited February 2017

Another combo of two products bought one after the other. First set is Asian River and the second is Molto Bello. Sky is from Skies of iRadiance. Both sets come with 3DL and Iray versions; this render is Iray. Even though there is a clash in style (wood/bamboo vs brick/stone), I think they work together as they both are a bit decrepit looking.

Asian River Molto Bello combo.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • This last one actually reminds me of the jungle ride at Disney Land. 

edited February 2017

This last one actually reminds me of the jungle ride at Disney Land. 

LOL, I can see that! Okay Rich, back to me. Those two sets are definitely distinct from each other, but you made it work.  I'll see what sets I've got to scene-bash. 

BTW, I had put everything back in my cart to do a ticket with Customer Support, because I had two pages of carts open yesterday to test what did what, and checked out with the cart without those darned Warlords. (They made a NINE DOLLAR difference)  Well, that cart was still open today and wow, when sales leave, the prices sure shot up! You'll notice the Doctor Doctor and the Travel sales are gone. That Sugar Skull bundle shot up to $23.97  (I paid around $10)  and all characters are now $3-8 more. The Sugar Skulls was Silver and DemonicaEvilius and they departed with the Vacation sale removal.

So in honor of that fantastic deal (which I did tell you about)  I'm sharing some Sugar Skull love. Very fun to render, and the "plain" character is very nice too. 

So here's Skelita with a bit of attitude, and of course, sugar-sweet. (Wearing Jolina Hair and Darkshade Outfit.)  Happy to say these were lit with my Boo setup (see my link in sig, I did presets for you. Just click and use!) using the fantastic Ghost Lights. 

SkelitaDarkshadeJolinaHair.png
    900 x 1100 - 2M
    SkelitaDarkshadeJolinaHair2.png
    900 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

Due to today's sale involving Belladzines, I am going to crank out a few for you this morning.  Anyone else with Belladzines or Mindvision D.G.S. renders, please share. Rendering now.

edited February 2017

It's going to be 75 degrees here today so I am leaving shortly to enjoy a day at the ranch. They fertilized Stetson's pasture, mistakenly thinking it was going to rain today (ZERO chance) so he can't be in it until it rains (Monday.)  They may bring in the sprinklers as they did this to three other horses too! (She's slightly aggravated at her hubby, who gave the wrong forecast.)  So I am going to walk him in the woods, have him out and about for while this morning.

Anyway, the first one uses Anjou Hair, which definitely needs a smoothing modifier, the strands in front are downright crinkly. You have to be in the SCENE tab with the hair selected to go up to the menu dropdown (right above the word Scene, if that's your top pane in your setup) then select Edit>and you will see how to add a smoothing modifier. Then go to Parameters and you'll see Mesh Smoothing. If you don't apply one to this hair, you're not going to get my results. I cranked the smoothing up to 23.

It's so funny- I kept wondering why I couldn't always find Edit. You HAVE to be in the Scene pane for that option to be present. Duh. I knew the menus changed with the pane selected, so why I didn't put two and two together sooner, who knows. How often do you do a DUH in studio? (my fav is messing with lights instead of simply rotating the character slightly, which is much easier!) 

These renders are 600 px. 

BD Nadira (Gen3F)    Pose is from Classy Eva 7

The promos show her with a dark look and makeup, here she is as a blonde.
    66% at 12 minutes.   80% at 15 minutes.  92% 20 minutes  Done by 24 minutes. (BTW, now you can get the Alienware51 with a 1050 graphics card for the same price as I paid for my 970. My sons just bought one to share because they love my computer and of course are rubbing it in that theirs is even faster.)  

@belladzines  Note the bottom eyelashes on her left eye. In this render they appear to be floating. I'll rotate and check. (Edit- they do seem to be a bit whacky but I'm trying another angle. I did find where I posted before about the eyelashes stopping too soon.) Another edit- looking from the front/side, the eyelashes definitely stop too soon, and drop down below the rim where they should be attached. Both of these things need fixed. See third image.

NadiraAnjouHair.png
    491 x 600 - 581K
    NadiraAnjouHair2.png
    386 x 355 - 230K
    NadiraAnjouHair3.png
    491 x 600 - 479K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Next up- BD Demi will go here. If you have any of the ones between Nadira and Demi in the store,  I don't have them and can't render. 

Edit- Demi eyes are also failing to have bottom lashes going to the corner. I will note this is easy to quickly stroke in during postwork, but we shouldn't have to do that. They don't go far enough over on either end. 

She's wearing Abigail Outfit (Gen3F) with Side Tail Hair.

demieyes.png
    491 x 600 - 470K
    demieyes2.png
    491 x 291 - 238K
    demieSideTailHair.png
    335 x 599 - 308K
    demieSideTailHair2.png
    391 x 600 - 432K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

BD Novarys (Gen3F)  has the same eyelash setup, they don't go far enough over. This is using Feel It for the expression. Includes a touch of asymmetrical movements so it appears more realistic. I did not change the lighting so you could see Novarys is definitely more blue/gray than the first two, wanted you to compare apples and apples. Smoothing iterations were 13 for the Force Hair. Needs it, and could probably go to 20-25, there's still crinkles on our left, the bangs.

NovarysForceHair.png
    491 x 600 - 509K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Ginger for Bethany 7 HD and this is on the regular Bethany, not the HD Add-on.  Wearing Autumn Chic. I changed lights because she looked pretty washed out with the other ones, she, too is more bluish than the first two. These lights have a touch of red and even so, you can still see the tone is quite different. I actually increased the Saturation to 22 (Corel Photo Paint) as I didn't think she had enough color with this lighting.

I like Ginger, she's different. 

GingerAutumnChic.png
    491 x 600 - 540K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Oh this is too funny. Taking the challenge of doing two sets who were back to back in the Product Library, I had to combine the Radioactive Corridor Interior and Labyrinth Circle.

Doing a Rich, I decided to see if I loaded them and left them where they loaded, if it would work. Here goes!  (And guest starring Dominator Crab- it comes lit, and that is SO neat. What a deal for PC+ members!) 

Let's have some fun. After all, it is Saturday. (At least where I'm at!) 

Get A Clue When Something Is Abandoned...

The crew had partied late into the night, celebrating their successful mission after departing the alien planet. Their ship was loaded with the geological samples taken from the abandoned rock quarry. But the Security Officer was uneasy, still wondering if she really had heard sounds earlier when the hazardous waste containers were brought on board.  Everyone had stopped and listened at the time, but there was not a peep.

But she couldn't shake it. Call it intuition from years of security details, but something wasn't right. Even though it was 3a.m. and she really needed the sleep, she knew that wasn't happening until she checked out that cargo bay. Grabbing her sword, she felt a bit silly. What was she going to do, battle with the rock and gooey sand samples?

Except the rocks weren't rocks. They were electronic storage cases, home to the Dominator Crabs. And they'd already been busy, crawling out and arranging themselves in a strategic attack pattern.* Retreating back into their cases for activation at dawn, only one was left as a sentry, resting comfortably on his case. That is, of course, until the Security Officer disturbed him.

*The crabs replaced the lids on the containers because Decimator Crabs are meticulous, thus also explaining the precise formation of rock electronic cases.

Good luck, crew- you're going to need it.

No changes were made in the materials, everything was loaded and rendered "as is." That sand or whatever it is, is slick and gooey looking!

dominatorcrabs.png
    491 x 600 - 599K
    dominatorcrabs2.png
    454 x 420 - 396K
    backtoback.jpg
    466 x 159 - 613K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

This last one actually reminds me of the jungle ride at Disney Land. 

LOL, I can see that! Okay Rich, back to me. Those two sets are definitely distinct from each other, but you made it work.  I'll see what sets I've got to scene-bash. 

BTW, I had put everything back in my cart to do a ticket with Customer Support, because I had two pages of carts open yesterday to test what did what, and checked out with the cart without those darned Warlords. (They made a NINE DOLLAR difference)  Well, that cart was still open today and wow, when sales leave, the prices sure shot up! You'll notice the Doctor Doctor and the Travel sales are gone. That Sugar Skull bundle shot up to $23.97  (I paid around $10)  and all characters are now $3-8 more. The Sugar Skulls was Silver and DemonicaEvilius and they departed with the Vacation sale removal.

So in honor of that fantastic deal (which I did tell you about)  I'm sharing some Sugar Skull love. Very fun to render, and the "plain" character is very nice too. 

So here's Skelita with a bit of attitude, and of course, sugar-sweet. (Wearing Jolina Hair and Darkshade Outfit.)  Happy to say these were lit with my Boo setup (see my link in sig, I did presets for you. Just click and use!) using the fantastic Ghost Lights. 

I've got to wonder, how would that hair look on a Japanese guy

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I love BD's Esther. She was one of my top picks for last year, and the model I'm using as my title character in The Black Kat Series. Here she is on the cover of my book, with just some minor tweaks to her facial features: 

BD Salome is also very beautiful and has an interesting look. I had considered using her for Kat and dialing down her morphs a bit before Esther came out.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Love that dominator crab, glad I got it although I haven't used it yet.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

And great story!

edited February 2017

Thank you, it was fun. This is GDN Vanessa (Gen3F)  from that scene. I've rendered her before, but I'll put all three in this post so you can compare. She was the one I featured with the Clown Hair. (wishlist that for MM if you haven't, it makes for a fun "regular" hair)  You can see how lighting changes her a bit. Godin's characters have eyelashes which properly extend to the end of the eye. 

vanessa.png
    675 x 900 - 779K
    VanessaCurlyClownHr.jpg
    380 x 575 - 190K
    VanessaFantasyThiefMargotHair.jpg
    380 x 575 - 179K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017
    Novica said:

(And guest starring Dominator Crab- it comes lit, and that is SO neat. What a deal for PC+ members!) 

That was a fun addition. Plus a story too! This combining of sets can lead to a creative mindset. 

Here's my next one. Uses Wishful Thinking, this week's PC+ freebie, plus RPC Volume 5: Jungle Rainforest 1 which I got from Fast Grab the next day. I loaded Wishful Thinking, then the Jungle Rainforest props. I left the Rhododendron where the props load but moved the rest out into the grass that comes with WT. I also used a tree pano from Ecomantics - Efficient Ecosystems to fill in the surrounding and the skydome from Modern Museum. Turned out pretty good I think. The grass from Wishful Thinking is very nice and the Jungle Rainforest vegetation is excellent.

Wishful Thinking Jungle Rainforest combo.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
This discussion has been closed.