Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

11415171920101

Comments

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    Oh I love that combination! Thanks for the reminder on the panoramics, I have all these sets and really like the way they combined to form an impressive landscape. Way cool! 

    I'll start on my next combo soon, I spent so many hours rendering portraits and that last scene, that I simply have to do zbrush for the next day or so (I'll putz with renders during my breaks and start on the next scene-bash.  It will be Fantasy Hall  and The Brass Pole Nightclub.   That should actually be a lot easier than the last two back-to-backs. 

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    The MM sale has started, and some nice items there. I don't like the shorter jacket on the female suit, I like them down further on the hip. While the bundle is a good deal, I already have women's suits and I can do poses, have quite a few that are like the ones in the bundle. Going for sets, as usual, so what I did was this:

     I hadn't used both my PC+ coupons, had the Daz Original one left,  and the Male Trading Floor Outfit was $6.98 (for a $19.95 item)  as I had two things in the cart. Not sure how that got figured. (If two items trigger an additional 50%, it was priced at 8.38 and 58% off to start with, another 50% off the 8.38 would be 4.19, not 6.98) Anyway, from the original price, that is only paying 35%   With two items in the cart, that item dropped down to a measley $4.53 when the code was applied. So I paid about 23% and got 77% off when using my PC+ coupon. 

    The $28.95 set was again already 58% off, priced at 12.16, and 50% off would make that 6.08 but it went down to 10.14. It dropped to 6.59 when split with the PC+ discount with the one other item. 

    So not sure how this is working. You can't take 50% off the original price and call that a deal if it's already 58%, so I have to assume it's 50% off the beginning price which is the discounted 58% one. 

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,457

    The 50% off related items isn't working at all.  I'm not really buying but was curious.  The original price in the store for the two set items is $1.99 I have a new item in the cart which discounts to the correct price but the two $1.99 items do not.  Interestingly enough when I had one item with the new item it did.  but if i remove one now it doesn't change. 

    Shopping Cart

  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,391

    It can't be PC+.

  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 32,949

    The 50% off related items isn't working at all.  I'm not really buying but was curious.  The original price in the store for the two set items is $1.99 I have a new item in the cart which discounts to the correct price but the two $1.99 items do not.  Interestingly enough when I had one item with the new item it did.  but if i remove one now it doesn't change. 

    Shopping Cart

    *Discount excludes new releases & PC+ Items from madness Artist catalogs.

  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,457

    Glad I'm not shopping.No matter how much I go over the sales page, I always miss something.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited February 2017

    Well, I had folks explain to me how the pricing I got was correct, so you're not the only one missing things LOL.

    BTW, I am rendering the Modern New York Style loft and after HALF AN HOUR it is still at zero percent. I took out all the bedroom and everything not in view (and that was a LOT) so there is a bit of concern here. I have two characters in the scene, which is nothing for my machine to handle. Not doing anything on the computer that would slow it down, either. I am using the ALR setup so wonder if that is it. Two ghost lights, that wouldn't slow it down.  3114 iterations.  Edit:4705 iterations and still 0 percent at an hour. I'm going to try it again later, not going to try again right now, have to get busy with Zbrush.

     

    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 15,223
    Novica said:

    Well, I had folks explain to me how the pricing I got was correct, so you're not the only one missing things LOL.

    BTW, I am rendering the Modern New York Style loft and after HALF AN HOUR it is still at zero percent. I took out all the bedroom and everything not in view (and that was a LOT) so there is a bit of concern here. I have two characters in the scene, which is nothing for my machine to handle. Not doing anything on the computer that would slow it down, either. I am using the ALR setup so wonder if that is it. Two ghost lights, that wouldn't slow it down.  3114 iterations.  Edit:4705 iterations and still 0 percent at an hour. I'm going to save it and show you, then try again.

    DON'T cancel your render and save it and then start over! Cancel your render, go to the File menu and choose Save Last Render, then RESUME your render to continue from where you left off rather than starting over. Don't waste the time you've already invested in the render.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    No, I know about that, but thanks anyway. When I retry it, I'm going to change the pixel size, take out a few more things, and test the ALR lighting.

  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

    You can pretty much ALWAYS guarantee PC+ items are not included in any sale that isn't a PC+ specific sale.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 15,223
    Novica said:

    No, I know about that, but thanks anyway. When I retry it, I'm going to change the pixel size, take out a few more things, and test the ALR lighting.

    Ah, I didn't realize you were going to change the setup.

  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,730
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

    Well, I had folks explain to me how the pricing I got was correct, so you're not the only one missing things LOL.

    BTW, I am rendering the Modern New York Style loft and after HALF AN HOUR it is still at zero percent. I took out all the bedroom and everything not in view (and that was a LOT) so there is a bit of concern here. I have two characters in the scene, which is nothing for my machine to handle. Not doing anything on the computer that would slow it down, either. I am using the ALR setup so wonder if that is it. Two ghost lights, that wouldn't slow it down.  3114 iterations.  Edit:4705 iterations and still 0 percent at an hour. I'm going to save it and show you, then try again.

    DON'T cancel your render and save it and then start over! Cancel your render, go to the File menu and choose Save Last Render, then RESUME your render to continue from where you left off rather than starting over. Don't waste the time you've already invested in the render.

    Thanks, didn't know about that trick! Learn something new here every day!

    And Rich- I love the wishful thinking mash up you did. I'm getting spoiled looking at your stunning landscapes and Barbult's amazing portrait renders. Lots of inspiration there!

  • Novica said:

     I hadn't used both my PC+ coupons, had the Daz Original one left,  and the Male Trading Floor Outfit was $6.98 (for a $19.95 item)  as I had two things in the cart. Not sure how that got figured. (If two items trigger an additional 50%, it was priced at 8.38 and 58% off to start with, another 50% off the 8.38 would be 4.19, not 6.98) Anyway, from the original price, that is only paying 35%  

    It's not "an additional 50% off" it's 50% off (for two or more items) that replaces the 40% off (for one item). That combines with the normal PC+ 30% Daz Original discount so that...

    If you buy one item: normal items will be 40% off, Daz Originals will be 58% off

    If you buy two or more items: normal items will be 50% off, Daz Originals will be 65% off

    As usual, new and PC+ items are excluded from the sale.

    All-in-all, pretty underwhelming - but it's only day 1 of MM.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 15,223
    edited February 2017

    Here is Tsukiko for Aiko 5 from the Daz freebies. This is Shape 2. Note that Young Teens 5 Julie Morph is required for Tsukiko Shape 2. The skin uses the Victoria 4 UV. The hair is Despoina Hair. The dress is Hip Retro Dress. I used Iray Converter for Genesis on the skin and UHT2 with the "use original textures" option on the hair. I used AllenArt Shimmery Sheer Fabric - Iray from ShareCG on the dress.

    I had a terrible time applying expressions to this character. They didn't look right. Maybe it is her very pointy chin that throws them off. I even tried expressions specifically for Aiko 5. In the end, I just dialed a little smile, which still looks off to me.

    Tsukiko for Aiko 5.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 15,883

    Thanks for the headsup about the render times on that set. No can do, renders that take hours and are still at zero. 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    Thanks for the headsup about the render times on that set. No can do, renders that take hours and are still at zero. 

    I took out the bedroom as only one small corner shows, took out one lighting setup, but I honestly think it was something with my computer. I never have trouble with this vendor's products taking so long (was kinda hoping someone else would have tested it by now, don't want products getting a bum rap so that's why I qualify it.)  It's rendering now and is at 46% at 8 minutes.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    It's not "an additional 50% off" it's 50% off (for two or more items) that replaces the 40% off (for one item). That combines with the normal PC+ 30% Daz Original discount so that...

    All-in-all, pretty underwhelming - but it's only day 1 of MM.

    Thank you @Chris-2599934  Daz math varies sometimes, and sometimes is just plain confusing.

    @barbult   What a cutie! She looks really good with that hair (love the colors.)  Good to know about the expressions. I had trouble with mouth corners a lot of the time on my Genesis/V5's, they pucker a bit much for my preferences, appear odd to me. Can't remember the last time I tried an Aiko 5, been awhile.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    Okay, so I am wondering. That banner of 10% appeared after we bought something from MM yesterday. I'm wondering if it will increase as you buy things, like the punch system/ snowball system they had in other sales. OR (based on some previous sales) if it increases if you buy every day, then if there are 3 items I want (and let's say 2 trigger the banner increase, if there is one) then I would buy two things and hold one over for the next day. With the MM, I don't know how long the discounts are held, whether it's only the day following (still mad) or longer.  With regular sales, as you just saw, we had the Platium Loop, Vacation, Doctor Doctor sales, and they started overlapping vendors and you got a better deal by waiting. With MM, it may just be the next day then the status drops. So as usual, the unknown.

    So is it triggered by buying on a daily basis, will it remain the same, or is it triggered by how many items you buy like the punch sale? Anyone buy something today, and did the banner change? Did you check it?

    Don't forget to use your PC+ codes, it's the last day of the month. 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited February 2017

    Modern NY Style Loft

    Took 46 minutes with the ALR lighting rig and a couple Ghost Lights, so even if it doesn't take hours and hours, if you have a slower computer, you're going to possibly need to reduce your image size (and this was only 900 pixels, not huge) and be careful what you've got in the scene. I have the bedroom and kitchen completely removed, all walls that aren't showing (had to leave the roof on as it changed the lighting) and props you don't need. I'll try another setup with different lights sometime today, to see if that drops the render time. 

    nymodernloft.png
    797 x 814 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    For the loft: With the default lights, turning up the environment intensity, Film ISO, etc- that's where you run into long render times if you don't use additional lights. It's half an hour and at zero percent.  I'd recommend Ghost Lights with it, at a minimum.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited March 2017

    Ah, straight from Daz_Steve regarding being a bonus buyer-

    If you buy something from March Madness you become a bonus buyer.  It gives you an additional discounts for a few days.  If you buy anything else during that period you stay a bonus buyer.

    And when asked what a few days was- he clarified:

    Any non-free purchase triggers it.  You stay in for the current day, plus two more.  10% is the max (30% on older) unless there is a special for a given day or days.  These rules are subject to change and adjustment (but none are planned), but that's how it's working now.

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited March 2017

    When these stores go on sale during MM (IF) keep an eye out for these sets and cute props in the SKUs under 16000   These are from the 15000-15999 list, I'm not indexing anything older than these.  You can go through the list here:  You'll get an extra 30% on top of the other discounts if you've received the MM banner. These were chosen because they have either been reviewed, used, OR are a set/prop, are unique (such as Ducky.)  A few family friendly outfits are noted.  Can't possibly list all of them.

    Note if you are still doing 3DL, Barn Yard has fantastic lighting. Focusing on sets and props, but several outfits which have been previously reviewed with great reviews are listed.

    D's done.  E's done. I edited and put the vendors' names first, Daz Original second, so you'd be able to see whose stores were involved more easily.  F's done. G's done   H's done. That's all for now.

    26Fahrenheit      City Signs
    26 Fahrenheit / Daz Originals  Cargo Units 1   and  2
    3DLust    Ghost Hoodie (8 material zones, you can "ghost" out the hoodie. SereneNight did a cool render of this years ago! And I remember!) 
    3djoji     Doctor Cab
    Andrey Pestryakov   Forest Autumn    Forest Elements   Forest Winter
    ARTCollab     Barn Yard     Candle Collection   Horse Accessories (also DO) 
    Billy home / Deci6el / Moebius87    Dystopian Worker Drone
    Blondie9999 / Daz Originals   Diner Food 1   and all the Diner Foods, also the Tableware
    Bluebird 3d      A Cozy Studio    Chamber dAmore
    Danie /  Marfono / Daz Originals    DMs Aramonk
    Daz Originals    Daz Horse 2 (and its bundles, items released at that time. Too many to list)
    DimensionTheory   HDR BaseSets Monterey  and Pro Set
    Draagonstorm   Geishas for Aiko 5  (In honor of Draagonstorm, and because they're downright cool!) 
    Dreamlight       Cottage House    Dream Lounge   Earthquake  
    E-Arkham    ZWorld The Hallways    ZWorld The Basement
    FirstBastion    High Cliff Crossing   Farm Fencing  Horse Show Jumping Props
    Flipmode     The Easy Environments:   Eternal Sands   Greenlands   Mountain Trail   Road To Hell   Top of the World   Winter
    Handspun Studios / Thorne   Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit:2    Head Morph Resource Kit 4
    Jack Tomalin / Daz Originals   Bridge of Cheirocrates    Dubious series-  Bank   Pub   School House
    JoeQuick    Ducky for Genesis  (Unique, so here's a character) 
    Karth      Horse ShoePack
    Maclean     Everyday Morphing Primitives
    Mada / Daz Originals     Daydream   (outfit-Genesis, family friendly)
    Merlin Studios      The Church Props
    Midnight_Stories  Genesis Sabbatic Goat  (just because.) 
    Moebius87 / Tyger Purr    Dystopia Coriolus
    Nathy / Daz Originals  Dragon's Tower
    Parris         Bot Genesis
    Petipet / Daz Originals   City Roads
    Porsimo     Fantasy Weapons Collection
    Powerage    House on the Hill
    Predatron       Aradior Point   Dranik's Cellar  Giant Fantasy Spider (low resolution)
    Sarsa / Daz Originals    Val3dart    Clown  (outfit-Genesis, we loved it when reviewed it)  and Textures
    Stonemason   Derelict Corners Urban
    Sugatek    Fujiian Tulou Fortress    
    The AntFarm   AB3K     Archimedes Prime  (not a set, but fun)  and Buddy Bot    Heros Stand
    The DigiVault    Destroyed City
    Valandar / Daz Originals    Board Games   Bumper Cars   Classroom Furniture   Equestrian Props
    WillDupre / Daz Originals   English Saddle  and Textures (by Arien) 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited March 2017

    This morning for (edit- three or four hours), I am adding to the list of SKU's under 16000 from the 15000-15999 list, so if you're a bonus buyer and want to see some of those 30% on top of the other discounts, go back up to the previous post and check out the vendors/list. Putting in some props (originally focused on sets.)  EDIT- I just changed the list so the Daz Originals wasn't the first vendor when it was combined with a vendor. The vendor name will be first, which helps you when looking at the stores.

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487
    edited March 2017

    LOL, GOTTA LOVE IT.  Read this description!!  Apparently anyone who didn't buy The Elegant Swan is deprived of a great experience.  I mean, a product that actually POOPS. (yogurt, to be exact.) 

    Now I simply MUST go see if I own it. Back in a minute. Nope, I don't. Anyone have it? 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,110
    Novica said:

    LOL, GOTTA LOVE IT.  Read this description!!  Apparently anyone who didn't buy The Elegant Swan is deprived of a great experience.  I mean, a product that actually POOPS. (yogurt, to be exact.) 

    Now I simply MUST go see if I own it. Back in a minute. Nope, I don't. Anyone have it? 

    I have it (and I've seen the original in the museum where it lives). It's a wonderful thing.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    Oh PLEASE render it. It's priceless! Does it come with the poo LOL? 

  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 7,925
    Nath said:
    Novica said:

    LOL, GOTTA LOVE IT.  Read this description!!  Apparently anyone who didn't buy The Elegant Swan is deprived of a great experience.  I mean, a product that actually POOPS. (yogurt, to be exact.) 

    Now I simply MUST go see if I own it. Back in a minute. Nope, I don't. Anyone have it? 

    I have it (and I've seen the original in the museum where it lives). It's a wonderful thing.

    Oh, would love to see a render with that!  :)

  • NathNath Posts: 2,110

    Rendering as you read:-)

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,487

    I don't have this but am listing it from those SKUs as it's a set. Anyone have a render?

    Sugatek    Fujiian Tulou Fortress 

  • NathNath Posts: 2,110

    So here's a quick and dirty conversion to iray (I know, the wheels are sunk into the road), and some photos of the real thing (and the baby swan car that goes with it, which is unfortunately not included in the model). The poop still needs some work cheeky

    swandraft20170301.jpg
    1346 x 1056 - 819K
    DSC_2053S.JPG
    800 x 555 - 163K
    DSC_2054S.JPG
    800 x 623 - 151K
    DSC_2051S.JPG
    800 x 628 - 150K
    DSC_2052_ENG.jpg
    800 x 1190 - 213K
This discussion has been closed.