Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    barbult said:

Here is FWSA Sushmita HD for Victoria 7 and her Jewelry with some of her makeup and jewelry.

Beautiful barbult!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

If you save what you edit in geometry editor as a surface I think then you can make it opaque so that is the only work around I know how to keep what you edit in between saves

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Well, it turns out I can't use it, due to the mesh.I wanted to do a different zone because the trim is painted on the shirt, instead of it being separate, and I know why. The edges would be jagged because of the mesh. Not sure if sub dividing would solve it.  So note that Ashleigh Jumpsuit has a sash which is a separate zone, but the trim on the top is painted on. 

edited February 2017

Thought I'd share one more render of On the Shore while it's still in Fast Grab. The product comes with two Iray preload options, one for days (shown previously) and one for nights (shown here). After loading the night set, be sure to click on the night render settings icon otherwise it will render too bright. These render settings set the Environment Mode to Sun-Sky Only; if you don't want the transparent background, set Environment to a black backdrop. That makes the water black too, so I used NightTimeA from Skies of iRadiance - Night Sky HDRIs for Iray and you get the clouds reflecting in the water.

Both scenes I've shown are from near the water (I used Camera 12 for this render) but there are lots of places to set up scenes around the buildings and up on the hilside.

On the Shore at night.png
    1200 x 800 - 1008K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Oooooooooh!  Love the night render! If someone didn't know it, they'd think that was a photograph! 

• @RGcincy  Yep, thanks to your great renders, I broke down and got it while in FG.  That night render cinched it.  :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

arghhh!  I really want it, I know its a great price but I just can't do it.  My budget is so whacked right now lol. 

Oh woot, I just putzed and found a fun tip to share. Works for Genesis 2 and 3,  on some of the ones I've tried. If you have a weird head shape (not your typical, let's say you're modeling heads or made a lot of changes)  or just can't get the hair you want to fit for some reason, this worked:

TIP:  Put a hair on your figure that goes on the best, even if you don't want to use that hair. Use the morphs and do the best you can, even if you have some bald spots, it won't matter. It won't show-  Shut the eye so it's invisible. Now try the hair (that just won't cooperate) and FIT it to that first hair and checkmark Parent To Target. Bingo! Because the first hair fits, the second one breezes right into place. I had piddled and tried parenting, no parenting, fit to and not (it's usually best to parent and not fit hair if you're having cross-generation troubles)  

It was on a very different type figure and voila, after trying TEN different hairs, I did this and it worked almost every time with the hairs I had previously had trouble with. 

TIP: Emma and Jordi hair does REALLY well with going on difficult figures, try those first as the hidden hair (even if you don't like the style. You're going for the skull cap fitting.) 

Can't show you what I've done as it's not my project, but if you get stymied on fitting hair, this should help you cruise along.

• That's a neat trick Novica . Thanks.

That render of On The Shore looks amazing.

That's a neat trick Novica . Thanks.

My pleasure!  Selvana Hair was the EJ hair that works great going on to oversized or weird heads, and all the Emma and Jordi hairs have great morphs so you can really tweak to get the fit as close as possible. 

edited February 2017

In my never ending quest to take you down with me (in spending money or expanding your wishlist) I wish to point out that with ANY new release, some of those places and props are worth looking at. All these assume you have a new release in the cart.

Emma and Jordi actually have a set- the violin and balcony  that will go to $6.33 if you have a new release and the balcony has separate pieces so it's really a kit. Note it's not square, it's nicely formatted so you can fit the corner of a building into it. You get a musical instrument, POSES for it, and a balcony. For around $6, that's good!

Esha's Modern Chinese Living Room has a nice ceiling, separate areas (rooms, no doors) and drawers that pull out. The drapes are lovely too. Presets for the lights to turn them off and on- yep, turn the lamps on or off with a click. All this for $8.78.  

Cosmic Crew Cabin wings in at $8.08. I like the bunks and the skylight, imagine a monster peering down from the ceiling at you! Anyone rendered this? I'm trying to remember if I've seen it.

The Perspect X Family Room drops to $7.02 and has large windows for ease of lighting. I like that the books are varied and fallen over, there a quite a few props in this. I would definitely reshader the fireplace, it looks unnatural, and perhaps the floor (which is better than the fireplace.)  This reminds me of a 70's-80's room for some reason. Anyway, it feels "comfy." 

Great Hall comes in at $8.78 and again, the lighting would be good from one direction. It has a nice ornate chest, flames, and although the deer head isn't stated as included, it probably is? Can someone verify that?  That's rather a main feature.

One I've had wishlisted, and now only $5.97, is Lonely Garden. Made me sad when I first saw the old boards.

Wood Planks With Grounds is not only a set, but good props for those desolated/ apocalypse type scenes. You need filler that's aged, this is it.  Only $5.26

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Hmm, I hadn't used my Plat Club coupon yet, so got $6 off (used the spend $18 one)  I went for the hand dial new release, it sounds very functional. Anything that helps with fast hand posing that also fine tunes with a slider, well, that's my pick of a new release. Anyone tried it? No one has mentioned it. 

Look at these prices! (As you know, the fewer items you get, the lower the prices as the $6 off is spread between them.)  I wishlisted the other stuff, I think I already own the Esha room.

sale.jpg
    842 x 462 - 811K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

I went for the hand dial new release, it sounds very functional. Anything that helps with fast hand posing that also fine tunes with a slider, well, that's my pick of a new release. Anyone tried it? No one has mentioned it. 

I picked that up the other day for the same reason but haven't given it a try yet. 

Has anyone tried Nyarai for Genesis 3 Female? I'm usually not one to buy a new character when it's released but this one intrigues me.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    RGcincy said:

Has anyone tried Nyarai for Genesis 3 Female? I'm usually not one to buy a new character when it's released but this one intrigues me.

I was intrigued as well, and don't regret getting her.

Here she is, with a Painter's Lights setting, Dax Hair and the Sand Serpent clothing set.

Nyarai_01.jpg
    909 x 1056 - 481K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Nyari's skin resource is nice but the features are really large boned for such a narrow  face. It looks a bit off in some way I can't put my finger on.

Thanks for showing that Nath, appreciate it!  I had to decide between getting a character or getting the hand thing, and I went with the practical use for more than one figure. I hate budgets but am picking up items at the moment that are greatly discounted so I can showcase them. I got through quite a few day before yesterday. Today, right now, it's 76 degrees so headed to the barn, haven't seen Stetson in two weeks and it's been great weather. 

I'll try the hand pose thing out tonight if I get a chance and a couple other things.

edited February 2017
    Nath said:
    RGcincy said:

Here she is, with a Painter's Lights setting, Dax Hair and the Sand Serpent clothing set.

Thanks Nath! I like how she looks.

Here's a test render with Hands Dial-up for Genesis 3 Male and Female. I took a scene I already had where the arms were down by the sides. I dragged the hands up and roughly positioned them by the head. I applied poses (Right Hand Pose 03 and Left Hand Pose 04) and then brought the hand into contact using twist and bend. In both cases the thumbs dug into the head so I had to adjust them individually. If the hands were not being applied to a figure or prop, the sliders alone would be sufficient. 

You'll find the hand dials under Pose Controls. You can get to them with just the figure selected but it's easier to see the relevant dials if you select a hand. The dials show an image of the hand pose - it's small but sufficient to see what you are going to get. I'll have to use it more to see if it's a time saver or not, but in this case, I didn't have to adjust any individual fingers other than the thumbs.  

Hands on head.jpg
    830 x 664 - 637K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincy said:
    Nath said:
    RGcincy said:

Thanks Nath! I like how she looks.

Here's a test render with Hands Dial-up for Genesis 3 Male and Female. I took a scene I already had where the arms were down by the sides. I dragged the hands up and roughly positioned them by the head. I applied poses (Right Hand Pose 03 and Left Hand Pose 04) and then brought the hand into contact using twist and bend. In both cases the thumbs dug into the head so I had to adjust them individually. If the hands were not being applied to a figure or prop, the sliders alone would be sufficient. 

You'll find the hand dials under Pose Controls. You can get to them with just the figure selected but it's easier to see the relevant dials if you select a hand. The dials show an image of the hand pose - it's small but sufficient to see what you are going to get. I'll have to use it more to see if it's a time saver or not, but in this case, I didn't have to adjust any individual fingers other than the thumbs.  

Cool!  I picked those up, but haven't played with them yet.

edited February 2017

Without tweaking them (so you can see out of the box) I combined the Fast Grab Lonely Garden with Rock My World.  Rock My World has many options, this is just one of them. Nothing fancy, just moved the rocks behind the garden. I thought the path looked rather neat leading up to the dark area in the rocks so I aligned it to look like it led there.

I don't particularly care for the ground plane in Lonely Garden, (and I even increased the bump)  and the tree has some limbs which seem a bit plastered onto the tree (the bark doesn't flow.) I do like the leaves and feel the tree isn't half bad. However, I really like the fences and rest of it.  

DO NOTE: Lonely Garden has all props lumped together so you can't just close the eye to hide from the scene. You will have to go into Surfaces, where the rocks, grass, etc are listed separately. For the Rock My World (love that title) the rocks are separately/small groups listed. Very easy to work with.

lonelygardenRockMyWorld.png
    813 x 900 - 1M
    lonelygardenRockMyWorld2.png
    813 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

We've been doing a lot of portraits, so now it's time for scenery.

So I'm issuing myself a little challenge. I'm going to combine two more sets, and they both have to be within the last ten sets that I've bought. Let's see what I come up with. Using two that are bought back to back or really close in sequence, the better it is. I need to use most of the set, and the entire set if possible. (I think I'm setting myself up for failure here LOL) Play along if you like!   Back in a few, I'm going to look over my sets.

Okay, I'll go with Fast Grab. I got Water Spring and Violin Soul: Balcony, Violin and Poses (Gen3F)   Let's see if I find a place to insert the balcony in all that lush vegetation. Should be fun! Just going to do the sets, no people. Back in awhile.

edited February 2017

Well, you definitely are NOT going to want to put those two together if you don't have a speedy computer. It took about an hour and a half on my fast one. (no characters, hair, etc)  Note the brown cliffs and background vegetation (looks yellow-brown)  are not included in the product.  These two go nicely together, but some of the vegetation looks like flat pancakes that slope down the hill closest to where I have the "balcony." So the shots have to be from above looking down, and not from close to ground level. 

These two are cute together! 

WaterSpringViolinSoul.png
    1213 x 1100 - 3M
    WaterSpringViolinSoul2FLATvegetatn2.png
    1213 x 1100 - 3M
    Post edited by Novica on

I rather like the exposed brown hillside, it makes it look very real.  But the first one is just gorgeous and I would park a lounge chair on that balcony any day of the week.  I don't know why its never occoured to me to put to scenes together "slaps self upside the head".

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Aww, man. Budget is whacked here too. But I have so much that I've bought that I haven't played with. I should just render that stuff, if I can find the time! Lately, that's at a premium. This too shall pass!

Ya, honestly, if I didn't by another thing and only used the content I have I could probably happily render almost anything I wanted to for the next 5 years or so lolol.  So, no worries, I am adding what I want to the wish lists and will pick them up when I can.  I knew this winter would be a bit tough since my husband just went back to working for himself and winter is always slow for what he does.  It will pick up a great deal in the spring and summer.  And thankfully he is working enough we can pay our bills just not a whole lot left over for extras.  But hey, at least my last kid will graduate from college in May so that will cut down on some costs as well lol.

Does anyone who has the Malaik bundle by Arki know where the characters are found?  I've found the outfits the wings etc etc but no sign of the characters or their mats. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017

I do have that bundle, and am pretty sure it came with the characters. Let me check the product library. 

EDIT: Yes, it says the characters are in the bundle. There's a product library page for them. I downloaded it manually and they are in there. You have to inject the morphs. You'll find them under Poses directory of Poser content. 

malaik bundle.JPG
    727 x 163 - 23K
    malaik bundle2.JPG
    1016 x 194 - 37K
    Post edited by Llynara on

I knew they came with, but I can't find the darn things.   I think I may uninstall and re install, it may have got lost in the move to the new drive.  I will check on my pc to see if they are there (the move was much smoother with none of the issues I ran into with the laptop, note to anyone who is moving content to a new drive and still runs 4.8, its doable but be prepared to spend some time manually pointing stuff to the new drive)

Nope, I have everything but the characters. I will go do manual download and see if I can track them down that way.

This discussion has been closed.