Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    barbult said:

Here is an image that uses The Shader Plan - Iray Satined Textiles that we picked up in Fast Grab recently. The Casual Style shirt was retextured with the satin shaders. The basic morph combination for this guy was invented by @xyer0 over in the Elijah 7 thread. I added played around with a few more morphs. The used products are listed in my gallery image.

He looks great! The satin shaders really make for an elegant shirt.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2017

Oh wow, those shaders are gorgeous! Glad I got them, thanks for rendering them. Your dude looks excellent too.  I'm tied up doing the Character thread (testing links, adding links, been doing it a couple hours and still wading through what nice people have supplied for the list.) 

However, I did get that spend $20, get $10 off the Daz Originals, so I decided I'd better get on the ball with that (can do it three times.)  I'm a bulldog so far as getting as close to $20 as I can. Here's one grouping ($20.51 LOL, went 51 cents over) that goes together. Get the materials for a little girl with Camdyn, then dress her in Girlish Fashion and Wildling for the hair. Should be adorable- all for $10.51. That's the character, hair, AND outfit!

Camdyn (works on Gen3F, don't have to have the tween)
    Lucid Dream  and  then  Girlish Fashion  (so while Lucid Dream is frankly quite blah, both these total $8 and those two materials are adorable, and notice the neckline changes.)
    Wildling Hair  A bit on the thin side, easy to add postwork and thicken up. 

So these come to $20.51, minus $10, for $10.51  (divided by 4 items is $2.62 each.

dazdeal.jpg
    700 x 351 - 783K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

I'm working on a combination for this one (spend $20 get $10 off) - we just discussed that Heavy Motorcycle Road Cruiser, and it's (I think) fairly rare to get a Polish product that is a Daz Original, but this is for the motorcycle and is a DO.  The Heavy Motorcyle Wasteland Addon  which dramatically changes the motorcycle.  If you don't have the motorcycle it's $16.07 and the Addon is $11.87 so that's $27.94 minus $10 is 17.94 for both things or $8.97 each.  Just throwing ideas out here, I don't know who needs motorcycles and can use the variety (modern and clean, then desert/apocalyptic)  and by using the same motorcycle, save money.

Or, you can do the motorcycle in one order (and run it up close to $20) then use the Addon for another order, and get them both closer to $20. Together, they go over by $7.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

A few notables- this is already 58% off and looks well made: Chevaleresse Armor  (24.95 down to 10.48)  Includes the sword and poses!
    The textures are also already 58% off (14.95 to 6.28)  There's 4 textures, nice variety. I like the blue but the purple/gold combo is also eye-catching.
    So those total $16.76    Need a $3.24 item or more. (I bought Awesome Anime Eyes to do toon renders. It's mix and match-  Those three came to 11.75, or $3.91 each.)

Or, you go with an oriental flair- The Nitsu Hinshi Samurai Armor is the same price/deal as the Chevaleresse (58%) and textures are 9.07 (and miss the $20 by FIVE CENTS.) 
    Another good deal at 58% off is Mercurial Guardian. (Males)  and  for females.   Down from 19.95, it's 8.38.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

This is that Wildling Hair on Senna for Monique 7, who I don't have so she is on Genesis 3 Female. I like her better than the promos showing her on Monique!   She IS a Daz Original btw. Her teeth look very natural, but too white, so try a bit of whitish blue in the base color (in Surface tab)  The Wildling Hair I'm not sure about, will have to see that under different lights. It's not as thin as I thought it would be, but doesn't quite have enough sleekness in the strands for my tastes, a bit coarse out of the box. I do actually like that it's messy, but not a tangled messy. Morphs are okay, not extensive by any means.

The Ailmer Outfit (another one at 58% off) is a fun, impractical outdoor outfit, the bug bites would be horrific if you ventured out in the woods. Guess she has Deep Woods OFF! I like the variety of patterns, with quilted angles going one way, the bracers having a refined material look, the stripes going vertical by the waist. Rather neat!

Again, these are all DO's so if you got that code for $10 off $20, Senna (even without Monique 7) and Ailmer Outfit are very nice.

Switched to Kanzashi Hair. I don't think I've ever featured that before. Really like it!

SennaAilmerOUtfitWildlingHairPaintLites.png
    617 x 900 - 975K
    SennaKanzashiHairCloseup.png
    608 x 1005 - 1007K
    SennaAilmerOUtfitWildlingHair2.png
    608 x 1005 - 675K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Playing with some effects! I always love vintage.

SennaVintagePhoto2.jpg
    617 x 900 - 297K
    SennaPtg1WaterColor.jpg
    617 x 900 - 447K
    Sennaoilpastelsketch.jpg
    608 x 1005 - 220K
    SennaKanzashiPenSketch2.jpg
    608 x 1005 - 325K
    SennaPencilSket3.jpg
    617 x 900 - 495K
    SennaPenInk2.jpg
    617 x 900 - 366K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Are you keeping up with Fast Grab? My goodness. I like the simplicity of this knit dress, the cuffs are probably a separate material zone, and with those new shaders (knit, silk) what a dress this will be! Note it is NOT a mini- it's a decent length and has nice stitching along the hem.  Not to mention the sexy skinz or a bodysuit can go under it to create a two tone chest area. 

Keep cheap clothes in mind if you ever want to have stores in your malls. You have to fill them with something! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

TIP: Use Camdyn on Gen3F for a gal with natural looking brows (meaning not penciled)  She's also a DO and is already 58% off. I'm rendering her for you, and I put her in H&C Sweater Dress, which frankly when I use it will be as a shirt, with leggings or with pants. (Got that on extreme sale, it's way too short for me to buy otherwise.) It has black boots that can be used for other outfits.(There's black boots in Fast Grab too, before you grab those, see if you have this outfit then compare the boots.)

Camdyn has very nice materials- freckles! Give her a look, goes great on Gen3F. You don't need Tween Julie 7 (who I don't own.) If anyone has Camdyn and Tween Julie, would love to see them.

Also, if you are looking for DO's (or even if you're not) Cybele Hair is used in this render, and it came out very well. 

camdenCybeleHrHCsweatDress.png
    716 x 900 - 1M
    camdenCybeleHrHCsweatDress2.png
    386 x 900 - 425K
    Post edited by Novica on

Kaleigh looks a lot like Caila Quinn from The Bachelor. The eyebrows are thinner, but overall, that's who I immediately thought of.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Good thing I caught up on this thread now. I had completely forgot about that $10 off on $20 DO items. Thanks for the reminder! As PC+ counts as DO, I'm now contemplating picking up a bunch of those with today's PC+ item sale.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Here's an image with the Biker Bandit Poses for Lee 7 that we got in Fast Grab a few days ago. It was pretty easy to adjust the Lee 7 poses to work with this mixed morph character (without any Lee 7 in it).

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    barbult said:

Here's an image with the Biker Bandit Poses for Lee 7 that we got in Fast Grab a few days ago. It was pretty easy to adjust the Lee 7 poses to work with this mixed morph character (without any Lee 7 in it).

This is really nice, makes me wish I did more modern stuff sometimes..

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Here's another image with the Biker Bandit Poses for Lee 7.

Those are quite lovely Barbult! We got a great deal with those being in Fast Grab, didn't we?!! That motorcycle looks so REAL. Great job!!!!

I am SO annoyed. Of course there's a PC+ discount today, after I used PC+ stuff for that get $10 off if you spend $20. I'm so tempted to calculate the difference, but then that wouldn't work because with the 20% off sale today, I'd have to buy more to reach the $20.00.  My head hurts. AGAIN. 

edited February 2017

TIP:  If you need a forehead band (not a headband, one that goes across the forehead, like a sweatband only bigger) then use NoX Hair. Although it's for generation 4, it goes on like a BREEZE and the "helper morphs" are meticulous. You can put bangs over it, under it, there's side adjustments, you name it. Hide the rest of the hair using the opacity in Surfaces, so only the band is showing. (I tried Nova Hair for Gen3F but actually NoX Hair for V4 has better adjustments IMO.)  Try it!  (I would show it to you but I'm doing something for someone else and can't. Just try a Genesis3F hair with bangs, and the NoX Hair headband, and you'll see what I mean.) Wishlist it for when Generation 4 stuff goes on sale.

KUDOS TO outoftouch and Bice! 

Post edited by Novica on

BTW, chevybabe25 will be coming on the thread in the next day or so to chat with you about Amisi. She is really on the ball and we chatted about the lips, there will be an update and she'll explain the changes and what happened (we think.)  I really like Amisi and with the lip update she's a great character for your runtime. No run-of-the-mill gal there! Huge Kudos to vendors who really care about their products and following up on customer satisfaction. (She was so much fun to chat with too!) 

• Novica said:

TIP:  If you need a forehead band (not a headband, one that goes across the forehead, like a sweatband only bigger) then use NoX Hair. Although it's for generation 4, it goes on like a BREEZE and the "helper morphs" are meticulous. You can put bangs over it, under it, there's side adjustments, you name it. Hide the rest of the hair using the opacity in Surfaces, so only the band is showing. (I tried Nova Hair for Gen3F but actually NoX Hair for V4 has better adjustments IMO.)  Try it!  (I would show it to you but I'm doing something for someone else and can't. Just try a Genesis3F hair with bangs, and the NoX Hair headband, and you'll see what I mean.) Wishlist it for when Generation 4 stuff goes on sale.

KUDOS TO outoftouch and Bice! 

Now, if that were only a long hair style, and had a mirror version, it would be perfect for Kageto. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017

I love chevybabe's work. Glad to hear there's a fix for the lips. 

I had fun picking up some older items with that $10 coupon, will post as I get some conversions done.

I posted this on my art thread but had to share these Valentine's goodies here too! Darwin's Diesel for Elijah 7 (coming soon) in LilFlame's Heart Bath (rendo). The additional textures are an add-on from Sveva called Passion. They're on sale over there right now. Very nice, easy to use in many ways. It's pretty much a small portrait studio. Add Sveva's Lumiere lights for Iray and you've got a very romantic setting.

Click for larger image: 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,192

*Waves* Just gonna pop in and let ya all know that I updated Amisi this afternoon.. so its just a matter of time before it will be available :) 

Oooh Llynara, he is a perfect Valentine's date! Absolutely stunning render. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017

Thanks, Novica! That heart tub is a ton of fun. I have more plans for it. Watch out! 

On the satin shaders- they are fantastic, but so is everything I've purchased from Fabiana. I used them here on the shirt and vest of Casual Styles for G3M.

I was trying to convert my main character to a G3, but may have to bring the FW Sebastian morphs over. He just doesn't look right without them. That is Sebastian's skin with Anagenesis shaders. I've tried a thousand others, but he just doesn't look right. Hugh isn't old but has white hair, which makes it even trickier. UGH. Trying to get him ready for my next book cover, which I'd like to finish next month. Release date is late April/early May. I'll get it right eventually. Took a while with my first cover too.

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited February 2017

I'm trying GenX2 and can't get the darned thing to work. I did it a year or two ago and finally got the hang of it. But I'm trying to do a Generation 2 (female) to Genesis 3 and when I have Texture tab selected in Genx2, there's no Source button. I have Genesis 2 loaded up in the viewport, I have her selected in Scene, I tried dragging the base figure over into the empty space over in GenX, and nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I've been stuck an hour and no help from the GenX thread. I even tried doing Genesis 2 as a Character preset so I could select from my Content Library>Characters>(my folder with her in it) and it doing it via the GenX Load Figure, says not valid. Out of ideas. But SOURCE does not exist for me like in all the videos and tutorials.(with Transfer pane selected.)

And yes, everything is open. I have Morph, Group, Type, Value, Morphs going across. No Source.

Edit: and yes, everything is installed via DIM, not Connect.

genx.jpg
    753 x 482 - 764K
    Post edited by Novica on

Found it. Answer was in this post. You have to make sure the genx file isn't in plugins. Thanks also to SereneNight for behind-the-scenes doing screenshots with me to assist in seeing what files she had, as hers was working. A true friend! 

Speaking of which, can't believe this render! 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I hope it's ok if I make a shout out for the freebie page. Among all the outfit textures, there's a bundle full with clothing and hair for (male) genesis! Free is a price that's hard to beat! wink

• Novica said:

I'm trying GenX2 and can't get the darned thing to work. I did it a year or two ago and finally got the hang of it. But I'm trying to do a Generation 2 (female) to Genesis 3 and when I have Texture tab selected in Genx2, there's no Source button. I have Genesis 2 loaded up in the viewport, I have her selected in Scene, I tried dragging the base figure over into the empty space over in GenX, and nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I've been stuck an hour and no help from the GenX thread. I even tried doing Genesis 2 as a Character preset so I could select from my Content Library>Characters>(my folder with her in it) and it doing it via the GenX Load Figure, says not valid. Out of ideas. But SOURCE does not exist for me like in all the videos and tutorials.(with Transfer pane selected.)

And yes, everything is open. I have Morph, Group, Type, Value, Morphs going across. No Source.

Edit: and yes, everything is installed via DIM, not Connect.

I saw the post below this one so I know you might have gotten that working.  You don't have to have the figure in the viewport.  You can grab the figure's icon in the Content Library or Smart Content and drag and drop that into the GenX tab without loading the figure.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648

Hi. A head up - there is some cool older stuff in "DAZ Freebies" now.

Wow, those satin shaders are nice.

Barbult, beautiful Elija morph render! 

RGCincy, I love that last Iray render of First Bastion's new one.

Hey guys- I found that the genx file did not get removed and that was my problem. I haven't tried Genx'ing anything as I have another project I have to get done. The character did not respond to genX, would not drag across, I don't have time to mess with it. (spent THREE HOURS trying to figure out why Source wasn't showing up.) If I try another character and it doesn't work, I'll give a heads up. Actually you'll hear me screaming from Florida.

edited February 2017

Wow, fast grab changed AGAIN. (At least since last time I checked. Maybe it changed yesterday? Anyway, keep an eye on it because they are really changing it up often.)  EDIT: And see the gift card sale in the scrolling banner.

Post edited by Novica on

For $19.35 I got NINE G3F characters.($2.21- $2.77 apiece. Normally wouldn't buy them as I don't need them, but will showcase them if I can get them for that amount.)  So things in sales do overlap. Check the vendors and compare who is in what sale, what triggers it, and just open up those stores. You'll already see some things marked 75% off then the discount gets applied to that! 

This discussion has been closed.