CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

I've been playin with an old favorite, the 57 Chevy Bel-Air hardtop, this old freebie has seen some changes on my computer for sure, from the old stock lwo file converted to a obj, to becoming a race car, complete with roll cage, racing wheels, and someday I'll figure out how to do the graphics I want on it, however, I wanted a street version, one with really decent wheels, instead of having to make all sorts of changes to the old Sketchup wheels, though those are pretty decent wheels to be sure, I wanted something that most guys who had classic Chevy's back in the day would go for, Crager Mags!

57_w_cragers2.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 509K
    57_w_cragers1.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 507K
    57_w_cragers.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 512K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

That is one sweet ride Betsy. Where are the tires and Cramers from?

:-)

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    That is one sweet ride Betsy. Where are the tires and Cramers from?

The Dudley 68 Nova.

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

"The Collection"

It was a modest collection of classics, well-maintained, and open to the public Thursday through Sunday. A nice place to pass the time if you were a car buff, but probably not the ideal outing for an easily-bored tween-ager...

TheCollection_b_full.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    "The Collection"

It was a modest collection of classics, well-maintained, and open to the public Thursday through Sunday. A nice place to pass the time if you were a car buff, but probably not the ideal outing for an easily-bored tween-ager...

Nice collection there equinoxx5.

edited December 1969

Very nice indeed! Love the bored kid sitting on the floor while his dad dreams...lol. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your pooter must be a monster of memory!!!!

edited December 1969

Slow day at work...this is what I did, made a new tire with treads and an old style American magnesium Mag.

AmericanMagAndTire.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 265K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Very nice indeed! Love the bored kid sitting on the floor while his dad dreams...lol.
    Her dad, as it happens, though it's tough to tell at this distance. Yes, Alison is likely also doing some dreaming... of sparkly vampires, or shirtless werewolves, or whatever it is the kids are into nowadays.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Your pooter must be a monster of memory!!!!

Fairly modest, actually; 4GB, with a 2.1 GHz dual-core proc and a 1GB GeForce 9500 GT video card.

In addition to the 11 cars (one of which is just a static prop, completely unrigged), the garage model (for the record, 3-D-C's Tuning Garage, available at Rendo) and decorations (the gas pump and Coke machine are converted SketchUp models; the various bits of wall decor are plane prims with textures and transmaps as needed), there are 3 V4's, an M4 and 4 Genesii, all clothed. By the time I had the scene fully populated, my viewport was at a crawl in wireframe mode.

Render took around 7.5 hours.

Thanks for the comments!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Slow day at work...this is what I did, made a new tire with treads and an old style American magnesium Mag.

Nice looking may there, are you going to release it? The mags I was using were converted sketch up models, and I can't get them to come outright!

edited October 2012

betsy662 said:
    music2u4u said:

Nice looking may there, are you going to release it? The mags I was using were converted sketch up models, and I can't get them to come outright!

nah...I can send you a link to it though...I did this in sketchup too.

check your pm box!

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

Well golly gee! Great little mag wheel and tire there, kind of looks like the American Mag Wheel I had been using, but that one began coming out messed up more recently, this one is great, the really nice thing is in Blender, its all one piece, so if I need to reposition it, I don't have to try to select all the pieces of a group, I just right click anywhere on the wheel or tire and and I can move the entire thing, which of course, tells me that after you made it in sketchup, you must have done the smoothing in Poseray!

she_bought_it_from_sue5.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 566K
    she_bought_it_from_sue3.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 592K
    she_bought_it_from_sue.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 600K
  • CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

The 1956 Chevy Nomad is sporting Sierra Gold over Adobe Beige and the Bel Air is wearing Sherwood Green over Pinecrest Green. I tried to match the Chevy colors a close as I could.

1956_Chevy_Pair.jpg
    1218 x 884 - 189K
    edited December 1969

Oh man Cherokee, those are nice, I wonder when we will get the 56 models available to everyone? It took so long just to get the 57, and there are no decent 55's! Very nice conversions by the way!

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Oh man Cherokee, those are nice, I wonder when we will get the 56 models available to everyone? It took so long just to get the 57, and there are no decent 55's! Very nice conversions by the way!

Thanks Betsy. These weren't hard to convert. Just making sure the texture areas were correct and changing a few. I found a "57 Nomad but after converting, it looked like crap.

edited December 1969

The 57s have been covered pretty well, Nationale7 has a really nice Nomad and convertable, for a hardtop I usually use the old lwo standby, the problem is when it comes to the tri-five Chevy's, only the 57 is modeled to any degree, the 55 and 56 just aren't available at a reasonable cost.

edited December 1969

Where did you get the 56 chevy? I want it.

edited October 2012

This is about the nicest 55 I could find. Not even sure where I got it. The Daz 55 is good except for the front grill, that sux. Makes it look like a taxi converted into a 55. If you could take this front end off, and put it on the Daz 55, it would be a nice one.

The black one, I made in sketchup. I used a premade body, and some parts to assemble this drag car. I made the tires and front axle myself.

55ChevyDragCarDaz.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 83K
    1955ChevyBelairDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 128K
    edited December 1969

I know, I have really cool cars I can't remember where I got them either, that is a nice mesh from the looks of it, but there is nothing, nada, zip on the 3D Warehouse, or anywhere else where a decent 55 Chevy can be had at a reasonable cost, until recently, that was also true of the 59 Impala, then Schurby basically saved the day, I guess the best we can hope for, since I have absolutely no talent in making much of anything in Sketchup, let alone Blender or Hex, (also don't have time to devote to learning how to use those programs effectively!), is that Schurby, or Nationale7 or someone else with some real talent would come along and make those cars.

I guess in the great big world of 3D, cars really aren't that much of a priority, kind of like modeling hobbies, though I've been a model railroader since childhood, and we have a large quantity of stuff available, as all hobbies go, model railroading has a smaller following than any other hobby, so in our hobby, cars actually take a back seat to the fantasy stuff, the elven stuff, and things like Petipet's cool starships!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    This is about the nicest 55 I could find. Not even sure where I got it. The Daz 55 is good except for the front grill, that sux. Makes it look like a taxi converted into a 55. If you could take this front end off, and put it on the Daz 55, it would be a nice one.

The black one, I made in sketchup. I used a premade body, and some parts to assemble this drag car. I made the tires and front axle myself.

The DAZ 55? You mean the "Family Car 1950? I have to admit, its too cartoonish, while some like it, I'm sure, I never did like it, its fine for the cartoon scene alright, but I'm not into cartoonish stuff, except maybe for a joke or something, whatever happened to Dudley? He had some really nice stuff going there for awhile, and even did the 37 Chevy and 48 Chevy Woodie, from what I understand, he did a bunch of other cars that aren't a part of the PC, all very nicely done.

The Luxury Car 1950, while somewhat better than the Family Car, is still way too far off for viability, however, because it has a more accurate look to it, gives it some credibility, of course, most of us on this forum like our cars to be far more accurate than what we have been getting from the Platinum Club offerings more recently.

edited December 1969

For some time now, I've been waiting for a decent beard to come out, primarily for use for biker scenes and such, finally, someone did bring one out, its available over at both Rendo and Sharecg, a free item, I did a little experimentation with it last night, as I wanted to see how well I could color it, it comes all brown, but there are enough material zones that you can salt n pepper it, or make it any color you wish, it is made for Genesis, so with that in mind, you may be able to use it with Mike4, but I haven't tried that yet.

live_to_ride00.jpg
    1900 x 839 - 567K
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Betsy, could you please share links to this beard? TYVM!

• edited December 1969

Hi I thought you might be intrested in my model over here, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10208/

As A keen biker in my youth I based this model on one I had many many years ago.

This is very much a WIP so please be patient, I am new to 3d modelling and texturing.

edited December 1969

This one is more to show off Music2u4u's very nicely done motel room more than anything else... but there is that Scirocco from gfx-3d (and a quarter panel from DzFire's Pick 'em Up Truck) in the foreground, to keep it on topic.

"A Stop Along the Way"
    Awesome as the road trip was turning out to be, Pete and Tracey were glad to get off the highway for a bit. The Sunrise Inn showed its age, but the owners took pride in the place, and it was clean, comfortable and, in its own way, kind of charming. But seriously... what was the deal with the guy in Room 7?

AStopAlongTheWay_full.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 897K
    edited December 1969

Hi I thought you might be intrested in my model over here, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10208/

As A keen biker in my youth I based this model on one I had many many years ago.

This is very much a WIP so please be patient, I am new to 3d modelling and texturing.

Lookin' good Col.

edited October 2012

equinoxx5 said:
    This one is more to show off Music2u4u's very nicely done motel room more than anything else... but there is that Scirocco from gfx-3d (and a quarter panel from DzFire's Pick 'em Up Truck) in the foreground, to keep it on topic.

"A Stop Along the Way"
    Awesome as the road trip was turning out to be, Pete and Tracey were glad to get off the highway for a bit. The Sunrise Inn showed its age, but the owners took pride in the place, and it was clean, comfortable and, in its own way, kind of charming. But seriously... what was the deal with the guy in Room 7?

Thanks Equinoxx5...I really had fun making the motel room. I like to make rooms that you can put together and/or stack. I got a two decker dorm set that has stairs on each end with rooms across up and down.

SingleDormRoom6Daz.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 359K
    SingleDormRoomStacked1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Cool motel room mus, I downloaded it, and got it somewhere! LOL.

Did someone mention a 40 Ford at some point!

Heres my Gasser!

gasser_5.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 530K
    gasser_4.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 527K
    gasser_3.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 526K
    gasser_2.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 550K
    gasser_1.jpg
    1512 x 702 - 547K
    edited December 1969

Ready Set Goooooooooo!

ready_set_go00.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 382K
    edited December 1969

40 Ford Coupe
    Nationale7
    Front wheels steerable
    Doors open

This is a nice model of the basic strip down model of the Ford Coupe of 1940, a very hansom car to be sure, some confuse the basic coupe, which is what this car represents, with the Deluxe Coupe, which would basically be a Tudor sedan with extras, the Deluxe Coupe would have a longer rouder roof, and a back seat, whereas, the basic coupe here would not have a back seat, while both were built on the same frame, both had different uses, obviously, the Deluxe Coupe was basically a family car, say for a young couple of the time, the car did after all, have a back seat, but in deluxe appointment, again, had extras and more options.

The Standard Coupe however, was basically made for another purpose, namely known also as the "Business Coupe", this car would have a larger trunk, no back seat, and was known as a salesmans car, often used for that purpose, cars like this, while bought by traveling salesmen themselves often, were also bought in fleets by companies like Coca Cola, Firestone, and any other company that would find a need to provide a company car.

The model is basically very accurate, the mesh is very nice to work with for those of us who love to do modifications, the model works perfectly in Poser, it also works in DS4.5Pro, but you will need to change the parent of the doors to the "40 Ford Mainbody".

Again, Poser textures don't work well with DS, so you will need a good set of shaders to be able to paint the car, you will also need a good chrome shader, but we are kind of used to that with cars that are typically made for Poser, the doors do work, and perfectly in Poser, however, if you wish to open them in DS, you will need to either adjust the door to fit the car for the scene so that it remains in place, or, you can follow Music2_4u's nice tutorial on how to turn a model into a .pz2 for use in DS without having to always be repositioning the doors, this way you would change the origin of the doors and they would then be more useful in DS.

The inaccuracies are this, cars of this era generally had the three speed shifter on the column, not on the floor, so this model isn't accurate in that regard, also, this one does come with a back seat, again, not accurate for a basic standard coupe, but can live with both, another in accuracy is, the car has duel exhaust pipes coming out the back, its unlikely that Ford would have even offered duel exhaust during that era, so the second tailpipe doesn't really belong there.

All in all, its a decent model, the small amount of inaccuracies that are there, aren't that big a deal, and one can always remove the extra tailpipe if it bothers them that much.

Available at Renderosity.

40_Ford3.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 305K
    40_Ford2.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 238K
    40_Ford1.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 558K
    40_Ford.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 367K
    edited December 1969

61 Chevrolet Corvette.
    By ADR Speedworks
    Available from DAZ 3D

While an older model, it is a well done model, the real Corvette, with origins back to 1953, by 1961 had morphed from a basic hotrod with a Blue Flame Six cylinder engine and 2 speed automatic, to a true American sportscar, in 1961, the car came standard with a smallblock V8, I believe a 283 at that time, (could have been the 327), better suspension, more creature comforts, and after 1953, you had choices in colors.

The Corvette has been a favorite of just about every male born in the US, possibly every male on the planet, one thing that is common on all Corvettes ever produced, they all have fiberglass body's, though through the years the style has changed, (Except for the Maco Shark era), engine options were changed over the years, transmission options offered, you can even take a brand new 2012 Corvette and make it look like a 1961 model with some changes in the fiberglass body, a nice car overall, totally impractical, maybe thats why its so appealing to so many!

The model from ADR Speedworks is really very nice, I realize its an older model, but well worth the $20 you pay for it, (even though it would be nice for some of these things to be put into the PC sales in October), the car comes with opening doors, hood, trunk, (yes, from 1953 to 1961, the Corvettes did have trunks), the opening hood does reveal a very nice looking Chevy smallblock V8, with chrome valve covers and breather.

This model comes with several color options, top options, interior color options, and even a whitewall option, naturally the chrome doesn't come out so nice in DS4.5Pro, however, as long as you have decent chrome shaders, you can always use that through the surfaces tab, while I assume most of us who have been here awhile already have this model, there are those who do not who may not know its there, its available from DAZ.

61_Corvette2.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 336K
    61_Corvette1.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 804K
    61_Corvette.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 430K
This discussion has been closed.