Daz Studio 4.9.2 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• pkappeteinpkappetein Posts: 506

ok,  I got clarification from Daz Support.

Files downloaded with DIM  you can only install with DIM,   if you try to install it within DAZ,  it will NOT look at the zip files,  instead it will download the files.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

I have problems with textures. Scene, characters and materials that I save with DS4.8 have problems to load textures with it. DS gives "can't find texture file" as an error message allthough the path is correct and the "locate" button leads right into the correct folder. There is now omly DS4.92 installed, since I needed a complete new HDD. So I did not reinstall my old DS4.8.

Here is my file structure tree:

DAZStudio 4.9 (contains the DS4.9 app)

DAZStudio 4.8 (contains My Library 4.8 content and self mades)

DAZStudio 4.5 (contains My Library pre- 4.8 content and self mades)

So allthough I added the other two Libraries with the content manager textures can't be found used in pre 4.9 made scenes and characters.

• Does that mean you are keeping your content in the application folder? That can be very problematic.

edited June 2016

What is the suggested path then? DS ist installed in: E:/DAZ3D/DAZStudio 4.9. main content coming with DS 4.9 is in: E:/DAZ3D/DAZStudio 4.9/My Library.

Then there is: E:/DAZ3D/DAZStudio 4.8 that contains all my content done and installed with DS 4.8. No application installed in here.

Then there is: E:/DAZ3D/DAZStudio 4.5 that contains all my content done and installed with DS 4.5 and earlier. No application installed in here either.

(NOTE: I never install anything non-windows system related to my C:/ drive. C-Drive is windows system only !)

EDIT: I directed the content manager to the DS 4.5 and DS 4.8 folder.

DS 4.9 make use of morphs and geometry *.dsf files of previous versions, but not of texture files.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • What is the full path to one of the missing textures?

edited June 2016

What is the full path to one of the missing textures?

E:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4.8\My Library\Runtime\Textures\DAZ\Characters\Genesis3\Eva7. The weird thing is, Eva7 just works fine. My custom character, that uses the Eva7 materials can't load the textures. I did not change the folder tree. So I also made an extra material file directing to Eva7 textures. I get an error message there as well.

Added a sample from my material .duf. my folder, where Eva7 is located. And you can see the result.

missing textures.jpg
    806 x 455 - 31K
    missing Texture_01.jpg
    1388 x 711 - 65K
    missing Texture_02.jpg
    820 x 443 - 49K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I don't think you have or had your "My Library" mapped properly as it should not be part of the path that is saved, that should start with "Runtime".

• Right, this sounds like a case of nested cntent folders - having both Studio 4.8 and My Library set as content directories.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited July 2016

Finally got around to installing the latest version of DS and I'm reasonably happy with it except for one thing and I'm not sure if this is meant to be or a bug. When you scan for new content and ask it to mark new it only marks the icons and not the folders like it used to and also it doesn't seem to have the option when you right click to mark as seen. Is it supposed to do this? And if so why has it been removed?

Edited to add this is in categories and also the original Poser and DS folders. 

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • Pendraia said:

Finally got around to installing the latest version of DS and I'm reasonably happy with it except for one thing and I'm not sure if this is meant to be or a bug. When you scan for new content and ask it to mark new it only marks the icons and not the folders like it used to and also it doesn't seem to have the option when you right click to mark as seen. Is it supposed to do this? And if so why has it been removed?

Yes, this is how it is meant to be as the old method was proving unreliable. You can use Group::New in Smart Content to filter for only new items but there's ni visual cue in the Content Library pane folder list.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Hi guys I just noticed texture compression is not working , no matter I set it to 1 or 12000 the same full resolution result with iray

general build 4.9.2.70

did I miss something ?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Pendraia said:

Yes, this is how it is meant to be as the old method was proving unreliable. You can use Group::New in Smart Content to filter for only new items but there's ni visual cue in the Content Library pane folder list.

Thanks for the answer Richard. The problem with that is I don't like or use smart content and that was a useful function for organising new content. Why has it left the blue colour on the references though seems pointless as you would have to hunt to find them?

Does anybody can confirm if the texture compression is working or not in the last general build ? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    MEC4D said:

Does anybody can confirm if the texture compression is working or not in the last general build ? 

I would be happy to try it, but what is the test you perform to determine whether it is working?

Please set the texture compression under Render Settings to both 512 and 512 and render out genesis to see the texture quality especially on the eyelashes and render one normal , with the reduced textures you will get fuzzy effect on the skin and eyelashes .  The settings are where you select your GPU or CPU for rendering

thanks a lot Barbult

I am surprised that nobody else know how important the settings are cutting your VRAM usage in half already with just 2000 pixels as max but now it does not working and everything is rendered at full resolution what may explain why some people have issue with crashing while rendering when no CPU was selected and they was out of VRAM .

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

I would be happy to try it, but what is the test you perform to determine whether it is working?

Also my preview issues with blinking black screen when using more than 6000 cuda cores is due to  ground with matte function in iray viewport that doing it , so I hope the programmers check it out , loading plane or simply deselect the ground ( shadow catcher ) in iray viewport HDRI or Sun and Sky under Rendering Settings fix the blinking issue  and speed the rotation to  (50 msec) at Normal pixel rate what is 150 msec faster response than before so definitely a BUG . 

I hope they consider to use the ground with matte function as it is in original in iray with the other function for shadows , shadow color and reflections what would be cool and not just the simple shadow catcher .

well mystery solved now I know it was not my system or my cards doing it .

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited July 2016
    MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

It appears to be working. What appears to have happened is their compression algorythim has imporved. 

I took V7 and zoomed in on her eye area. (Usually a place where I found texture artifacts in the past, due to compression.) 

I set the level for compression so that everything would be compressed "High"  rendered and then checked the Memory usage using GPUZ. 

I set the level for compression so that it wouldn't do texture compression and the Video Cards Ram in use went from about 1.4 GB to about 2.25 GB. 

The reason I said their compression appears to have improved is I see much less artifacts than I used to. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on

I did the same and the memory usage was the same even if I set compression to 1 there is no difference in rendering quality or memory usage even with big sets , I even restart and do clean one to be sure it is not using temporary files 

but no matter CPU or GPU the result was the same that why I asking to be sure it is not just me , let wait for Barbult tests before I reinstall DS again .

in early build you can see the difference in viewport without even to check the memory but if you select 1x1 pixel and you still have perfect render something is no right , not even possible .

can you set min1 vs max 1 pixel res and see the render result , you should not have perfect render no matter what 

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

It appears to be working. What appears to have happened is their compression algorythim has imporved. 

I took V7 and zoomed in on her eye area. (Usually a place where I found texture artifacts in the past, due to compression.) 

I set the level for compression so that everything would be compressed "High"  rendered and then checked the Memory usage using GPUZ. 

I set the level for compression so that it wouldn't do texture compression and the Video Cards Ram in use went from about 1.4 GB to about 2.25 GB. 

The reason I said their compression appears to have improved is I see much less artifacts than I used to. 

edited July 2016

OK, I rendered with Texture Compression on 512 for Medium and High and then on 4096 for Medium and High. (Is there any documentation on how to use there settings? Should the numbers for Medium and High be different? What do they mean?????)

I see no difference in the renders, but GPU-Z did show a difference in the amount of memory used. I will edit this message to attach screenshots showing the settings, render results, and statistics.

Compression 512, Memory Used 3899
    Compression 4096, Memory Used 4608

(Post edited, because I named my image attachements incorrectly. I fixed them)

EDIT: Wait a minute - I did these tests in the beta 4.9.3.37, not the released version that Mec4D asked about. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Texture Compression 512.jpg
    1756 x 1233 - 1M
    Texture Compression 4096.jpg
    1765 x 1212 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

OK, I rendered with Texture Compression on 512 for Medium and High and then on 4096 for Medium and High. (Is there any documentation on how to use there settings? Should the numbers for Medium and High be different? What do they mean?????)

They are thresholds - anything above the threshold is compressed using the named algorithm (so in your case anything 512 pixels or above is subject to medium compression and anything 4,096 pixels or above iss ubject to high compression). I think this is in the docs.

barbult said:

They are thresholds - anything above the threshold is compressed using the named algorithm (so in your case anything 512 pixels or above is subject to medium compression and anything 4,096 pixels or above iss ubject to high compression). I think this is in the docs.

Thank you. I actually had two independent tests, one where both medium and high were 512 and one where both were 4096. So I think that means that since the thresholds were the same, high compression would have been used in both cases. So I guess for real usage, the medium threshold should be set lower than the high threshold.

edited July 2016

This is the sad state of the documentation (that I could find) on Iray texture compression.

Texture Compression Daz Iray Documentation.JPG
    1003 x 816 - 118K
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Thank you. I actually had two independent tests, one where both medium and high were 512 and one where both were 4096. So I think that means that since the thresholds were the same, high compression would have been used in both cases. So I guess for real usage, the medium threshold should be set lower than the high threshold.

Yes

MEC4D said:

I did the same and the memory usage was the same even if I set compression to 1 there is no difference in rendering quality or memory usage even with big sets , I even restart and do clean one to be sure it is not using temporary files 

but no matter CPU or GPU the result was the same that why I asking to be sure it is not just me , let wait for Barbult tests before I reinstall DS again .

in early build you can see the difference in viewport without even to check the memory but if you select 1x1 pixel and you still have perfect render something is no right , not even possible .

can you set min1 vs max 1 pixel res and see the render result , you should not have perfect render no matter what 

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

Were you, by chance, in Iray viewport? If you are in Iray Viewport when you make the change, it won't happen as the images are already cached in the Ram. 

edited July 2016

No I made renders no viewport only  each scene was loaded with fresh DS start , anyway the beta build is working fine so I am just waiting for the general release

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

Were you, by chance, in Iray viewport? If you are in Iray Viewport when you make the change, it won't happen as the images are already cached in the Ram. 

Post edited by MEC4D on

Ok thanks, the compression working in the beta build as well .. but I am using the general release build , anyway thanks  

barbult said:

I see no difference in the renders, but GPU-Z did show a difference in the amount of memory used. I will edit this message to attach screenshots showing the settings, render results, and statistics.

Compression 512, Memory Used 3899
    Compression 4096, Memory Used 4608

(Post edited, because I named my image attachements incorrectly. I fixed them)

EDIT: Wait a minute - I did these tests in the beta 4.9.3.37, not the released version that Mec4D asked about. I wonder if that makes a difference?

OK false alarm , I reinstalled DS again and now it is working again cutting the memory in half no matter the iray viewport is on or off as the moment you change the threshold it update the viewport as well ( no before ) 

MEC4D said:

OK false alarm , I reinstalled DS again and now it is working again cutting the memory in half no matter the iray viewport is on or off as the moment you change the threshold it update the viewport as well ( no before ) 

Oh, good. I was going to go retest in the released version, but I guess I won't need to.

No thanks , I just want to be sure if it was on my side only but after your tests with beta I was just talking the chance as nobody mentioned any fixes in this area and glad I  reinstalled  also other things got fixed like black eyes n the viewport sometimes , or other stuff that did not render proper in viewport , definitelly my instalation was some  way corrupted as before .

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

Oh, good. I was going to go retest in the released version, but I guess I won't need to.

edited July 2016

Right, this sounds like a case of nested cntent folders - having both Studio 4.8 and My Library set as content directories.

sorry, my problem is not solved, and I don't understand the solution you are offering to me. I have not changed any paths within the "My Library" folder. I directed DAZStudios' content search to 3 different "My Library" folders. So I expect it to work. I did the same, when I used DS 4.8 and it did work fine.

Again my file structure:

E:/DAZ/DAZStudio 4.9(contains the DS4.9 exe)/My Library/...

E:/DAZ/DAZStudio 4.8/My Library/...

E:/DAZ/DAZStudio 4.5/My Library/...