Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited October 2012

I have a problem with the Australian Songbird collection which I would love to be solved

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/songbird-remix-australia-complete

When I inject the poses into the base model for most birds (all?) I end up with a terrible concave in the birds lower back.
    See pictures.

The birds work perfectly in Poser so it is only a Carrara thing.

When I take it into the vertex room adding or subtracting bone influences makes no difference.

Zeroing the figure removes the concave but also removes the injection pose of course

Any help greatly appreciated!!

w1.jpg
    1361 x 872 - 327K
    wompooe2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 38K
    wompooe1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

any other answers to thismost welcome ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

which specific birds and which build of Carrara?
    I ask because I have had Galahs and sulphur crested cockies that worked ok in the past, have not tried lately in the beta.
    alternately does it do it on a Poser exported pz3 too?
    I will try again in the beta later as I meant to do a mimic singing parrot for my pirate video and never got around to it.

edited October 2012

YES, I get this on the rosella, the night parrot, the king parrot, cockatiel, diamond dove, fairy wren to name a few
    never noticed as I used the birds that were ok!
    it is ok in C6pro!! just tried it
    have C6 installed as the hair sometimes better.
    and yes pz3 files do it in 8 too, I prob last used the other birds in C7pro which is only on my laptop, so Carrara 8 broke it by looks

the C6 .car file opened in 8 ok, so prob MY workaround, the other morphs work ok on it too!
    no help to anyone else though!!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Salome
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/salome/69935

Most of it loads into Carrara, but I haven't had any luck with the skirt or Bra and veil. What does work, looks good.

Works fine in DS.

If anyone knows a workaround, please post it.
    Thanks

If you have access to Poser, you can load all the peices and save it as a PZ3, then import it into Carrara. You'll have to raise the alpha slider on the veil and skirt (it's almost invisible by default). I wasn't able to get the Bra to loasd in DS at all. If you can get it to load in DS and don't have Poser you might be able to import the DS save into Carrara...

edited December 1969

YES, I get this on the rosella, the night parrot, the king parrot, cockatiel, diamond dove, fairy wren to name a few
    never noticed as I used the birds that were ok!
    it is ok in C6pro!! just tried it
    have C6 installed as the hair sometimes better.
    and yes pz3 files do it in 8 too, I prob last used the other birds in C7pro which is only on my laptop, so Carrara 8 broke it by looks

the C6 .car file opened in 8 ok, so prob MY workaround, the other morphs work ok on it too!
    no help to anyone else though!!!

thanks for that Wendy, you are a gem!
    yes I tried the Poser route - no go

so, getting it together in C6 and then importing into c8 works okay?
    I wonder where my c6 went ? (when I brush my teeth with sterident...)

edited October 2012

actually just the base from C6 works, can apply other birds to it
    might from C7 too, I have not used many birds for a while, I shoud!

I just saw on Ken's site there were some important updates for DS4
    I have not updated my songbird files at all and indeed some do not work in DS4
    maybe updating may help fix some issues in Carrara too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

ahh gee I didn't even know he had a site!
    http://www.empken.com/downloads/downloads2.html
    thanks you are a double gem
    :)

(you know, I must be thick, all those wfs g base songbird remix 8778776 reminds me of this chested double barrled yellow crested great tit joke I once heard - in that I didn't understand the joke ... )

edited October 2012

Hey Wendy, thanks so much for your help.
    I found a FAQ page on Ken's site. He tells you to export from daz studio via collada and not load it up the poser way :( GAH
    But the work around is buried at the bottom of the page
    http://www.empken.com/wiki/index.php5?title=FAQ:_Frequently_Asked_Questions#Weird_Hip_bumps_and_messed_up_feet

for some reason the z scale of the thighs (ken calls it y) comes in at 75 percent instead of100 percent like the x and y.
    So setting both thigh z scales to 100 percent appears to fix it

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah y :)

nothing like burying useful data away like that

PS he has free birds here too http://www.empken.com/downloads/downloads2.html

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hey Wendy, thanks so much for your help.
    I found a FAQ page on Ken's site. He tells you to export from daz studio via collada and not load it up the poser way :( GAH
    But the work around is buried at the bottom of the page
    http://www.empken.com/wiki/index.php5?title=FAQ:_Frequently_Asked_Questions#Weird_Hip_bumps_and_messed_up_feet

for some reason the z scale of the thighs (ken calls it y) comes in at 75 percent instead of100 percent like the x and y.
    So setting both thigh z scales to 100 percent appears to fix it

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah y :)

nothing like burying useful data away like that

PS he has free birds here too http://www.empken.com/downloads/downloads2.html

I'm glad you found the website. For anyone else reading this... songbirdremix.com will get you there.

Some of my models use zScale and some use yScale on the hips-- hence the confusion in the wiki. I've updated the wiki and added both z and y in. The Carrara team is aware of the improper scaling translation issues and has been working to resolve it. Hopefully some day we'll see it resolved.

As Wendy pointed, out there are a few updates-- I'm always adding new morphs to my CR2 bases trying to improve on the model. There will be even more notable changes next spring when I gear up for my 10th anniversary of the Songbird ReMix series. The most recent update is for DAZ Studio 4.5+ users.

DS Users Important changes...
    Since DAZ Studio 1.0, I've requested that DAZ Studio properly translate the Poser Cr2 PropagatingScale command within Studio. Many of the bird feet as scaled according to species. For years I've hand-coded the DAZ versions to add scale to each of the digits of the feet to simulate the PropagatingScale command (in Poser, I simply have to scale the foot and all it's children automatically scale). That command finally got put into the code with 4.5, the problem is that now it multiplies the manually scaled digits in my DS files so you end up with sausage toes. With 800+ birds to go through, undoing the scaling is going to take a while. Updates will appear in my downloads plus some improved texture maps (I'm always trying to improve my birds).

Another DS 4.5 problem is reading a saved SBRM .duf file-- it crashes (it doesn't like my Wing Contollers)-- I've heard it's been fixed for the next DS release.

edited December 1969

thank you Ken, that's very good of you to clarify that.
    I love your work by the way, very dedicated, very eclectic and very useful.
    It's good to see someone with so much passion.

here's something using some of your birds ;)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/221/P255/

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

here's something using some of your birds ;)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/221/P255/

Great image... you should consider entering my annual contest next year...

http://www.empken.com/SongbirdReMix/contest.htm

edited December 1969

thank you Ken! I'll keep my ear t o the ground - they are great prizes. It's a good choice the 2012 winner .!
    When the contest comes up any chance of announcing it the Carrara forum as well? I'm sure there are a lot of Carrara users who would be interested.

• LaniNoaLaniNoa Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just bought Toons Vulture ...I can get it to import but the model and hips won't move i, it stays fixed in one place, the other parts of the model do ...any suggestions?

edited October 2012

LaniNoa said:
    I just bought Toons Vulture ...I can get it to import but the model and hips won't move i, it stays fixed in one place, the other parts of the model do ...any suggestions?

this happens with Noggin's chook.\
    Workaround for that is to check the constraints.
    If it says "Full" try "none".

(it's not conformed to anotjer figure by chance?)

• LaniNoaLaniNoa Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks head wax ...that did the trick, neat thing to know for future reference!

edited December 1969

pleasure, glad it works!

cheers :)

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited October 2012

tsarist said:
    Salome
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/salome/69935

Most of it loads into Carrara, but I haven't had any luck with the skirt or Bra and veil. What does work, looks good.

Works fine in DS.

If anyone knows a workaround, please post it.
    Thanks

maybe you already read it in my post... (haven't seen this one, or I would have posted here).
    Load the Salome Chest piece in Poser, save it as normal scene, and import it to carrara.
    But beware, the import might take some time and also when you load it from your Carrara Objects Library. Just be patient and wait until it fully loaded.

It's the same with the arm piece from "Earth Warden"

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
    edited December 1969

I have some Problems with following products.

Exnem's Armored Witch
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/exnems-armored-witch-for-v4-a4-elite-gnd-and-more/80650

Here, everything loads perfectly fine - but the morphhs/fits don't work.

Solution:
    You have to load the clothes in Poser - use some of the morph dialer just a little bit. Then you can either save each piece as a scene or you can also add them to your figure library in Poser.
    Now you can go to Carrara and import the clothes or load it from your figure library.

Another piece that doesn't work well:
    RPublishing's Rogue Lore
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/rogue-lore-dress-v4-a4/65076

Here the morphs don't work, as well
    Workaround is the same as mentioned before.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rhiana

!

That will come in handy for other pieces as well I bet.
    I have a lot of clothes where the morph dials don't do much.

so I will try that fix

obliged :)

• FURBFURB Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Mill Dogs tail is broken in 8.5 as well. Looks fine when you bring it in, but as soon as you pose it it borks.

Hmmm, I think the rest of the dog works fine... gonna have to check later.

edited December 1969

FURB said:
    Mill Dogs tail is broken in 8.5 as well. Looks fine when you bring it in, but as soon as you pose it it borks.

Hmmm, I think the rest of the dog works fine... gonna have to check later.

Have you tried to morph and pose them in Poser/DS before you import them to Carrara?
    I found that this usually helps or at least reduces the kinks in the tail. I have that with some birds from the Remix series.

edited October 2012

I totally forgot another product.
    RuntimeDNA Ultra Morphs 2 for V4
    http://www.runtimedna.com/V4-Ultra-Morphs-2-Face-Randomizer.html

Xameva's Perfect V4 Fixes

Simple Details Arm Fix

Those don't work, when you apply them in Carrara. They simply do nothing.
    The same happens with several other morph packs I got from Renderotica, Renderosity and RDNA.

There are two ways to get most non Daz morphs to work in Carrara.

1) Load V4 in Poser, apply all the desired morphs --> Save the character in your Figure Library (not as scene!) --> Now you can load the figure from your library in
    Carrara.
    But beware. There are some issues with Poses where your character bends. I think it has something to do with the morph/pose channels, too. If I remember correctly - The more morphs you apply to your character, the more likely some of the morphs use the same morph channel and can cause ugly issues as soon as you start posing your character in Carrara.

2) Fenric created a wonderful Fix-Pose-Channel tool. It's really easy to use. You just need a bit patience :) Oh and it works also with other morphs, not only the Xameva Perfect V4 fixes. (The tool works with Poser Morphs not with Daz Morphs if I understand it correctly)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7619/
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=185755&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/60711/view/10/Software-and-Tools/Fix-Pose-Channels-for-Carrara

If you have loaded your Character into Carrara with this tool, you can save her in your Object's Library. Works for me like a charm.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • edited December 1969

I've got a problem with Stoney Creek by HowieFarkes, which works fine under my Carrara 7 Pro, but doesn't render any grass in Carrara 8.5 (please have a look on attached pictures). Does anyone know how to fix that?

8.5_.jpg
    600 x 780 - 114K
    7.jpg
    600 x 780 - 120K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Adon :)

it looks like there's possibly an issue with the distribution maps,..

Carrara's default mapping type for images is now different,. but that shouldn't effect how the distribution maps are working.
    but off the top of my head, that's the only thing I can imagine that could change how the maps are working.
    I'll try to take a look at it tonight, and see if I get the same results.

• edited December 1969

Thanks in advance, 3DAGE, I'm the Carrara beginner so all the help will be appreciated (I'll probably have a couple of more questions later ;)).
    To the above question I have to add that renders have been done in both Carrara's with the same basic settings.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

This was a puzzle to figure out, and I still don't know why it's happening.. but I know how to fix it.

The problem is somewhere between the distribution maps, and the surface replicators.

To get the grass to show up as intended,.. (See pics)

You need to select, and expand the (forest floor) group,.
    then select the (Grass 1) replicator.

In the "Display" section, change it to show the "Bounding box" view,.. so that you can see what's happening.

Then, in the top section,. you need to "Edit" the distribution shader settings.

In the shader editor,. select the second texture map in the Diffuse channel, and switch off (invert)

next, you need to edit the surface replicator,.

In the top right section of the replicator panel, there's an option to "Use Shader" ..Switch this Off,.. then, wait a second or two,. and switch it back on again.

Follow the same process for the other grass replicator (Grass 2)

you should be good to go.

After you render to make sure it's working, you can save that file back into the folder, as a new scene file.

CL_hlp_pic3.jpg
    1001 x 767 - 91K
    CL_hlp_pic2.jpg
    716 x 478 - 86K
    CL_hlp_pic1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 422K
  • edited December 1969

Many thanks, 3DAGE. I'll try your solution tomorrow. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

Old Man Rex for Genesis Clothing - Can anyone get this loaded into Carrara 8.5?

and if so, how to do it... thx :smirk:

edited December 1969

if it is anything like the 3ducow, you cannot
    but you could try fitting it to Genesis in Studio and saving as a .duf scene and importing that,
    I have not got it so cannot test