Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 784

I bought a bunch of stuff in the March Madness sale and I'm having problems getting them to work in Carrara. Has anyone had any luck with either of these?

I get error messages saying that Carrara can't find dsf files even though all the content is in duf. Any ideas on what I can try before trying to get my money back.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 7.34.12 PM.png
    543 x 156 - 26K
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 7.33.32 PM.png
    696 x 130 - 27K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

I haven't got those products so can't really help out..

but the links you made go to my products account page and not the product items.. surprise

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

I bought a bunch of stuff in the March Madness sale and I'm having problems getting them to work in Carrara. Has anyone had any luck with either of these?

I get error messages saying that Carrara can't find dsf files even though all the content is in duf. Any ideas on what I can try before trying to get my money back.

Thanks.

Try this:

Open them up in DAZ Studio and resave them as DUF files.

Do you install content in a default location? Oh... another posibility... are they DAZ Connect Only? If that's the case, Poser nor Carrara (or anything else for that matter beyond D|S 4.9+) can open them directly, but Can open them if saved as a new DUF, I think (?) Never tried the Connect stuff... yet.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Carrara can't handle HD morphs, so the bust is unlikely to load, although you might be able to bake the morphed figure into an obj inside Studio and then import.

Carrara can't handle HD morphs, so the bust is unlikely to load, although you might be able to bake the morphed figure into an obj inside Studio and then import.

Being a DUF in the first place, couldn't we just open it in D|S and set the mesh resolution down to normal and save it as a new NR (normals resolution) file (DUF)?

I thought that Carrara could load in the HD figures, but wouldn't be able to properly show the HD resolution of it.

You may be right there.

Thanks guys. Those are all helpful suggestions. I'm traveling this week and the hotel WiFi couldn't handle downloading Studio 4.9. I'll have to try it this weekend. Save them as DUF and then import to Carrara.

A little bit more information. I'm using a Mac. I installed the products using DIM into the default location. They do say Studio 4.9 only on the product page, but they came with a DIM installer so I thought I'd give them a try. 

I have used HD products in Carrara without bringing them in to Studio first. The HD morphs don't work, but the products seem to work OK. 

Thanks again. 

I got Studio 4.9 loaded on my laptop and both the Theater and the Morphing Bust load. I've tried exporting them in a variety of ways and I get the same file cannot be found errors. I guess I'm going to have to return them. 

I got Studio 4.9 loaded on my laptop and both the Theater and the Morphing Bust load. I've tried exporting them in a variety of ways and I get the same file cannot be found errors. I guess I'm going to have to return them. 

Bummer :(

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ladder from the Vanguard ship set won't let me send it to origin. 

tried the top of the tree where it says rladder, and the bottom of the tree where it says rladder under model.

i turned off constraint on both rladder lines.

frown is this a weird one?.

rladder.JPG
    1063 x 701 - 88K

Hmmm... try Center Hotpoint, then Send to Origin. If you've ever had Vanguard in the scene and deleted it, and the ladder was conformed to it, make sure to Remove Unused Objects and that the ladder is conformed to None. Hmmm... still thinking... I remember having stuff like that happen... I just need to remember what I did to resolve it :|

One of two things: Either the ladder was modelled at the origin and moved to that position (large offsets in the motion tab, and small offsets in the vertex room), or it was modelled in position (large offsets in the vertex room and small offsets in the motion tab). If it's the latter, the model could actually be at the origin (the origin of the vertex object) and still appear to be far away. The solution to that is to zero its position in the vertex room, which will also send it to zero in the assembly room.

One of two things: Either the ladder was modelled at the origin and moved to that position (large offsets in the motion tab, and small offsets in the vertex room), or it was modelled in position (large offsets in the vertex room and small offsets in the motion tab). If it's the latter, the model could actually be at the origin (the origin of the vertex object) and still appear to be far away. The solution to that is to zero its position in the vertex room, which will also send it to zero in the assembly room.

Yes... he speaks the truth! That's how I fix such things! I open them in the model room, after making sure that they're sent to origin before going in. Then select All and move it where it should be centered! Yaaaay! Thanks TangoAlpha!!! :)

I got home from a long trip and loaded theTheater and the Morphing Bust using DIM then brought them into a scene directly in Carrara. Everything loaded even the lights and cameras in the Theater. The textures are going to need a lot of work and the lighting is a mess, but at least I have the geometry to work with. The HD morphs for the bust don't work completely, but I didn't expect them to. I took at look at the versions and my laptop has 8.5.0 and my desktop 8.5.19. So I guess that's the answer. Use the most recent version of Carrara. Thanks again for all the help.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 167
    edited June 2016

BoneTech3D Dance Animations for Genesis Vol. 2

I have never experienced aniblocks not working right in Carrara before. I have managed to get most of these to work, but I'm not having any luck with the "Sea Of Grooves" and "Sexy Dance". The feet are sliding around quite a bit. 

After the aniblock importer didn't work, I tried exporting them in every format I could think of from studio with no luck, bvh, animated pose, saved as a scene... 

Bvh seems like it's doing the best job, but something is off with the scale I believe. Everything looks good except hip translation is exaggerated and the character moves around more than it should.

When I save them as a scene in studio and then open that scene in Carrara, it loads correctly and the animation looks good. But then when I save it as a NLA clip and try to use it in another project, it's no good. 

Have tried this with V4, Genesis, and G2 female...

Post edited by Scarecrow on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,666

a lot of Arki's V4 clothes do not work, particulary on shoulders

her hairs are OK

if loaded in DAZ studio and saved as duf scene some things are fixed not others

edited July 2016

i like this old V4 poser skin, http://www.daz3d.com/dark-matter-for-v4-a4

is there a tutt on how to translate the glowy tattoos to carrara shader ?  thanks!!!!

would really like to put her on my bookcover

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Photoshop is your friend in this case, add a layer with alpha and push the glow channel in the Carrara shader.

I am curious

http://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-shape-reprojector

the morphs generated from this should be useable afterwards in C8.5 too if saved as a duf asset

if I do not buy it first maybe someone can confirm this?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

looks very interesting Wendy

sadder than sad on a sad say.

knew the ocean queen dragon wasnt gonna work, but tried anyway.

then i went to kibaretto scifi kit, start loading up a city, carrara says cant load cr2. it'll load into ds.

the dragon is fugly anyway.   more sad about the scifi city kit

sadder than sad.JPG
    1336 x 822 - 183K
    scifikit.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Doc20.png
    1240 x 930 - 1M
    MistyMist said:

i like this old V4 poser skin, http://www.daz3d.com/dark-matter-for-v4-a4

is there a tutt on how to translate the glowy tattoos to carrara shader ?  thanks!!!!

"If you change the Luminosity Color... The Special Effects will Glow with That Color"

That means that, within the texture maps that come with the product, there are "Luminosity" maps that get worked into the shader system somehow. I'm always picking apart my product folders to find all of those specialty maps to get the most out of my shaders. Here's what you will do for this:

You'll notice the luminosity maps for each major body part - at the very least: Torso, Face, and Limbs.

To find them, go to the Textures folder for the product in the runtime you've installed the product to. If you can see thumbnails of the image maps - all the better, but they'll likely end in something like "_lum" or perhaps just "_L"... something like that. So like: Torso_lum, Face1_lum... etc.,

So after applying the MAT pose to your V4, go Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders, so that you'll only have a few shaders to edit.

Next select V4's "Model" line in the hierarchy and go to the Texture Room to bring up her shading domains. Find the three main domains and edit those first - the ones for Hip or Nipple (Torso), Nostril or Face (Face - should share the same shader... if not... edit the Face one), Lip (lips might be best kept separate from Face, if you like to change lipstick), and Limbs. Note that "Head" also uses the Torso domain, not the Face domain.

Those maps we found earlier will go into your "Glow" channel for your Carrara shaders. Set Glow to "Texture Map" and browse to the file.

Next, change Glow to: Operators > Multiply

After which your newly added texture map will become Source 1 under Glow, and whatever you put into Source 2 will become the color or texture of the effect. So if you just want a strong white glow, you could just use the maps without a multiplier. Otherwise, change Source 2 to "Color". By default, the glow will now become pure red. Change the color chip to taste. Then copy that Source 2 for use in the other parts that use those Luminosity maps, if you want the colors to match.

Questions? Give me a nudge ;)

MistyMist said:

sadder than sad on a sad say.

knew the ocean queen dragon wasnt gonna work, but tried anyway.

then i went to kibaretto scifi kit, start loading up a city, carrara says cant load cr2. it'll load into ds.

the dragon is fugly anyway.   more sad about the scifi city kit

Bummer. But since you now have it, try this:

Load the SciFi kit into DS.

After it's in DS, Export it as a CR2 back into the same location, but give it a new folder inside the original one.

This may just fix it(?). Worth a try at least.

Bummer there are so many parts to have to do this to... maybe just try one or a few of them at first.

The kit looks cool, though. Real bummer that it's not working. I wonder why they have to be CR2s instead of props? Unless they have rigging for moving parts, perhaps they could even be exported as props to the Props library (instead of being in "Character" folder of the runtime library)

edited July 2016

i'll try re d/l, mebbe i hosed it, bought a while ago.  

yep, was my fault >.<

in poser7 days i renamed pp2 to cr2 so i could put all scifi stuff together in my scene folders.

forgot about that, been years

never imagined would upset carrara.

sorry kibaretto

Post edited by Mistara on

i been warned. wink  gatwyck shops in rara. 

MistyMist said:

oh they work take ages to load, but dreadfully heavy slow to render you will go bonkers trying, just load the entire Dreamhome furnished instead its easier.

Sad said:
    MistyMist said:

oh they work take ages to load, but dreadfully heavy slow to render you will go bonkers trying, just load the entire Dreamhome furnished instead its easier.

tee hee.  good morning!

wasted another 6 hours last night fighting to get Minotaur 6 to come over.

i can live without the tail.  but the legs. and the g2m genitals.  
    why are the seams on the legs so far away from g2m's legs?
    it looks like oversized boots.  and the parts of g2m's original legs that should be hidden, aren't.

tried doing saving the whole figure, horns, tails, legs, as subset. that doesn't work.
    tried loading another tail, for the conform to first tail geograft, but tail wasn't in the dropdown list to conform to
    same for the pro bit. wasn't in the dropdown list to conform loading a second genitals, i thought that was the work around.

• blindmanblindman Posts: 22

I had an issue with the Planet explorer suit that screwed up the textures when it was conformed to a character. it also caused long render times as well. I suspect it's linked to the way the planet explorer suit auto hides the character body parts during the conform, which is done in a way that Carrara cant handle.  I figured out a fix see the link below ( Ironically using Daz Studio  something dispite me raising a ticket for the Wiz's at Daz couldnt tell me )

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/108036/planet-explorer-for-g2-texture-failure-and-render-issues-daz-not-interested-solved#latest

edited August 2016
    blindman said:

I had an issue with the Planet explorer suit that screwed up the textures when it was conformed to a character. it also caused long render times as well. I suspect it's linked to the way the planet explorer suit auto hides the character body parts during the conform, which is done in a way that Carrara cant handle.  I figured out a fix see the link below ( Ironically using Daz Studio  something dispite me raising a ticket for the Wiz's at Daz couldnt tell me )

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/108036/planet-explorer-for-g2-texture-failure-and-render-issues-daz-not-interested-solved#latest

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading Misty's post: "Hmmm I wonder if blindman's workaround would work here?", which is where I would start, if I was in that situation. I don't have the Minotaur 6, but really like it! I was already thinking that, if I did get into the minotaur thing, I'll probably go with the Genesis 1 version - I just seem to make all of my monsters Genesis 1, unless they're using original figures, like from TheAntFarm or Predatron, for example. Lorenzo Lorez makes an excellent Orc for background use, Genesis (Currently using a mix between some of RawArt's and the Troll for Genesis, along with other Genesis morphs) orcs work great for up-close. I also have RawArt's Satyros, but I'm not using him as a monster. Well... I have a bunch of his characters. I'll probably end up owning everything RawArt has made for Generation 4 - Genesis 2 eventually ;)

But man, that newer Minotaur 6 looks fan-freaking-tastic! 

EDIT: Sorry - got a bit babbly!!! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on