Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.2.70! - Released - (*UPDATED*)

DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
edited May 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.2.70! (*UPDATED*)

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO THE GENERAL RELEASE OF 4.9, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.x (E.G., 4.6, 4.7, 4.8) BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MIGRATED FROM THE OLDER VALENTINA DB BASED CMS TO THE POSTGRESQL BASED CMS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DO SO BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) changed?

Highlights:

4.9.2.70 - Release Candidate (*UPDATED* May 25, 2016)

• Smart Content pane
    • ​Made improvements to the "Show Asset(s) in > Smart Content > Products" and "Show Product in > Smart Content > Products" actions found in context menus for assets/products in the Content library pane
    • Made various tweaks to context menus to improve clarity and/or consistency with the Content Library pane context menus
  • Content Library pane
    • ​Added the ability to "Show Asset in > Virtual Folder" from the context menu for an asset that is installed via Daz Connect, when the selected container is not a virtual folder
    • The ability to "Show Asset in > Mapped Folder" from the context menu for an asset that is not installed via Daz Connect is now available only when the selected container is not a virtual folder
    • The "Show Asset in > Products" option in the context menu for an asset is now available only when the selected container is not a product
    • Fixed a crash triggered by "Show Asset in > Smart Content > Products" when the invoking asset is the result of performing a Files search in the Content Library pane; for speed purposes a Files search (as opposed to a Database search) does not pre-load metadata for the asset, however sending the asset to a database driven view requires that the metadata for the asset to be loaded in order to determine the category it is assigned to and the product that provides it
    • Fixed an issue with "Show Asset in > Smart Content > Files" when the invoking asset is the result of performing a Files search in the Content Library pane; for speed purposes a Files search (as opposed to a Database search) does not pre-load metadata for the asset, however sending the asset to a database driven view requires that the metadata for the asset to be loaded in order to determine the category it is assigned to
    • Made various tweaks to context menus to improve clarity and/or consistency with the Smart Content pane
  • Database Driven Content Views
    • ​Added the ability to "Show Asset in > Content Library > Virtual Folder" to the context menus for assets that are installed via Daz Connect
    • Fixed several event/timing issues in database driven asset/product views that were causing interference with triggering automated navigation/selection from remote sources; e.g., "Show % in > %", setting/restoring selection, etc
  • FBX Importer
    • Added support for importing limits
    • Made improvements to handle a case where Maya applies local transformation to skinned nodes
  • Interface Scaling
    • Made tweaks to Shader Mixer sizing policies to better support DPI scaling on Windows; further refinements needed
  • Fixed bugs in various areas; see the Change Log for details

4.9.2.67 - Release Candidate (May 18, 2016)

• NVIDIA Iray
    • Updated to 2015.3.11 (see this post for more information)
    • Added support for Light Portals; a "Light Portal" property becomes visible when "Photometric Mode" is enabled and "Light Geometry" is set to "Rectangle"
    • The value of the General > Misc > Auto Headlamp property in the Render Settings pane is now stored between sessions; unless a scene is loaded and the settings from the scene are applied or a preset is applied
  • Interface Scaling
    • Added support for High-DPI displays on Windows (via OS virtualization and scaling)
  • Material copy/paste
    • Fixed an issue with copy/paste of texture instance modifiers; the settings found in the Image Editor dialog
  • Transfer Utility
    • Fixed an issue when using replace source with target where skin binding was not being setup correctly

4.9.2.60 (May 10, 2016)

• NVIDIA Iray
    • Added support for Non-Blended Draw modes in the NVIDIA Iray DrawStyle
    • Properties presented in the Render Settings pane while the NVIDIA Iray is the active renderer are now aliased on the Draw Settings pane when the NVIDIA Iray DrawStyle is the active DrawStyle for the active viewport; adjusting a property alias on the Draw Settings pane adjusts the property on the Render Settings pane and vise versa
    • Added a “Manipulation Resolution” property to the Drawing group of the NVIDIA Iray DrawStyle; produces a mosaic proxy while the scene is being manipulated (faster preview)
    • Fixed a bug in the DrawStyle drawing code where it would momentarily flash OpenGL in the middle of a render
  • FBX Importer
    • Fixed an issue with reporting errors
    • Fixed an issue with setting the vertex count on empty skin bindings
  • Image Editor dialog
    • Fixed an issue that caused the “Instance Color” and/or “Instance Tiling” page labels to not be displayed unless hovering the cursor over the position where the label should be in the Highway and Main Street styles
  • Styles
    • Updated to make the Daz Connect virtual folder base (in the Content Library pane) visually distinct
    • Updated to make the Filter Menu Button (to the left of filter fields in various panes) visible

4.9.2.55 (May 4, 2016)

• NVIDIA Iray
    • Updated to 2015.3.9 (see this post for more information)
    • Added a "Glossiness Squared" property to the Iray Uber material; defaults to true on newest version, but set to false on old loaded files
  • Preferences
    • Added a preference to control whether or not the Login page is displayed on launch; Startup > On “Launch” > Show Login Page
  • Smart Content pane
    • Added an “Edit Product Metadata…” action to the context menu for products
    • Made various tweaks to context menus to improve clarity and/or consistency with the Content Library pane context menus
  • Content Library pane
    • Added an “Edit Metadata…” action to asset container context menus
    • Added “Export Metadata…” or “Export Metadata per Product…” actions to asset container context menus
    • Made various tweaks to context menus to improve clarity and/or consistency with the Smart Content pane
  • Categorize dialog
    • Reworked hiding/showing of top-level (i.e., "Categories") and first child (i.e., Default) when in isolation
    • Added a context menu option that allows creating a category path via string; pre-populated with the full path of the selected category
    • Fixed enabling/disabling/hiding/showing of actions in the the context menu
  • Content DB Editor
    • Fixed an issue that caused the Content DB Editor to not commit changes to Content Type, Compatibility Base and Audience on an asset if it was already defined
  • Measure Metrics
    • Added an “Export Measurements…” action to the pane option menu
  • PowerLoader
    • Speed improvements
  • Geometry Editor Tool
    • Tweaks to action labels, descriptions and dialogs
  • FBX Importer
    • Made improvements to allow importing figures that were not exported from the FBX Exporter
    • Now handles more general weight configurations
  • FBX Exporter
    • Fixed an issue that caused large weight values
  • Fixed various bugs in several areas; see the Change Log for details

4.9.2.44 (April 22, 2016)

• Content Library pane
    • Added Daz Connect virtual folders as the first child of Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats top-level containers; these virtual folders are only displayed when products have been installed via Daz Connect
    • Added Create Links > This Folder Only… and Create Links > This Folder & Sub-Folders… actions to the context menu for folders (both virtual and real)
  • Install pane
    • Added a new pane for installing product via Daz Connect; a subset of Smart Content > Products with modified defaults
  • Smart Content pane
    • The Filter Field on the Products page of the Smart Content pane now uses the product name to filter by default instead of keywords on the assets in those products; the previous behavior can be obtained by prefixing the term with "key::" (include the quotes if the keyword is comprised of multiple words); similar functionality can be obtained for the Filter Field on the Files page by prefixing the word(s) with "name::"
  • Metadata Driven Content Views
    • The Lost & Found category has been promoted (moved to the top of the list and styled like the "All" filter) to help make finding user-facing files that have not been categorized easier; appears in the Smart Content pane and Presets pages in various other panes (i.e., Posing, Shaping, etc.)
    • All child categories of the Lost & Found category created by Daz Connect are now created as (converted to) user categories; this allows a user to assign the assets to other categories, remove those assets from sub-categories of the Lost & Found category, and delete those sub-categories
  • Metadata
    • Changed a trigger on pre-4.9 tables to handle uninstall/reinstall without loosing User Data; products that are installed, but not via Daz Connect, will no longer cause the DB record to be deleted when uninstalled (so as to preserve user data) and so will display a missing icon indicator and an installed state indicator
    • User keywords, user notes, and user categorizations are now unified across all files (in all products) with the same relative path instead of isolated to a specific asset in a specific product; this improves the reliability of filtering results based on user assigned keywords, displaying user notes, and the reliability of filtering results based on category selection
    • Improved the speed of metadata update start; give better initial indication of update started
  • NVIDIA Iray
    • Added Diffuse Overlay Color and Diffuse Overlay Roughness properties to Base/Diffuse/Overlay group on the Iray Uber Material
    • Added Diffuse Overlay Color, Diffuse Overlay Roughness and Diffuse Overlay Weight to  the Iray Uber Base Shader Mixer brick
  • Morph Loader Pro
    • Added mirroring options
    • Added attenuation options
  • Joint Editor Tool
    • Added a Duplicate Bones action to the context menu Create submenu
  • Weight Brush tool
    • Added a Distribute Selected Bone Weights action to the Weight Editing submenu for the context menu; this action distributes the weights from the selected geometry of the primary selected bone among the other selected bones
  • Fixed many bugs, in various areas; see the Change Log for details

*Note: Switching between builds provided via the General Release channel that are older than 4.9.1.30 and builds provided via the Public Build channel (and the Private Build channel for those involved in that endeavor) will cause a "Configuration Changed" message to display.

Important Notes:

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9.
  • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
  • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
  • Daz Studio 4.9 uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
    • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9 or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9 will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9
  • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (e.g., 4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9.
    • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Frequently Asked Daz Connect Questions:

General Release Thread:

Previous 4.9 Beta Threads:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,162
    edited April 2016

What is new in this build? Do I need to update my copy?

Daz Studio 4.9.2.x resolves many issues and implements several improvements since the discovered since the 4.9.1.30 General Release. The first post contains hightlights and more detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log.  All new downloads of the Daz Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

While this release does address a number of issues relating to the preservation and/or restoration of User Data, it does not address all of them. We have identified, and are actively working on, more fixes that address some remaining User Data issues.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,162
    edited April 2016

Is there any documentation?

Yes, there is.  And we're actively working on more.

Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

The Reference Guide is also in the process of being populated/updated.

Some of the areas we have been focusing on (and will be recieving updates first) are:

*Note: Some pages are still being built. If you see "permission denied" for a page, that page is not live yet.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

A new Beta, cool; I'll check it out soon; busy atm.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

When creating a custom product metadata in Content DB Editor, if you set an incorrect content type, after accept, you cannot change the content type in Content DB Editor.

1) Open Content DB Editor for any product without metadata
    2) Set an incorrect Content Type to some assets
    3) Click Accept
    4) Open Content DB Editor again to the same product
    5) Set the correct Content Type to previous assigned assets
    6) Click Accept
    7) The changes are not applied

Reported: #217627

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Is the general release going to be updated soon to the changes in the Beta?  I installed the general release only on my new machine when it first came available and not the beta, I guess I could uninstall the GR and install the beta but I don't want 2 different versions on my machine.  I do have the beta on my laptop but it runs slower than molasses in iray so not much of a chance to test out the changes to the program

• Will the changes to Iray Uber modify the way any pre-existing Iray Uber surfaces are rendered or should everything render the same as before?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

• Fixed #DS-1178 : Rendering is happening before smoothing and collision finishes

I like that; I feel like I've had that problem a lot.  Reminds me of another issue...

How awful would it be to do smoothing and collision AFTER subdivision?  HD morphs especially have a tendency to alter the model in ways that then break through the results of the smoothing and collision, and you never know until it starts to render...

The answer may entirely reasonably be 'Really, really awfully slow', in which case obviously never mind. :)

--  Morgan

• The public beta isn't an option in the issue tracker when selecting a version number.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited April 2016

DAZ Studio 4.9 is there, then you type the number (4.9.2.22) in the version field - if you get a list there it's down to auto-complete.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386

I hope marking files with the "scan known directories for files" will work again as well. It doesn't in this build. Without it categorizing in the Content Library Pane is extremely tedious.

Why was creating links in the Content Library Pane left out in the latest official Studio release? You think people should switch to Smart Content for all the stuff they buy? Or was there another reason?

• What do you mean by creating links in the Content Library?

See highlights in DAZ_Vince's post. Create link as in "Added Create Links > This Folder Only… and Create Links > This Folder & Sub-Folders… ".

• Erdehel said:

See highlights in DAZ_Vince's post. Create link as in "Added Create Links > This Folder Only… and Create Links > This Folder & Sub-Folders… ".

It wasn't left out - it's a new feature in the beta, like the virtual folders, added in response to user-feedback.

• tedharris600tedharris600 Posts: 22
    edited April 2016
    MBusch said:

When creating a custom product metadata in Content DB Editor, if you set an incorrect content type, after accept, you cannot change the content type in Content DB Editor.

1) Open Content DB Editor for any product without metadata
    2) Set an incorrect Content Type to some assets
    3) Click Accept
    4) Open Content DB Editor again to the same product
    5) Set the correct Content Type to previous assigned assets
    6) Click Accept
    7) The changes are not applied

Reported: #217627

I can confirm this bug as well.  This is a deal breaker for me because I create a lot of custom metadata.

Reported #217967

Post edited by tedharris600 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

Added mirroring and attenuation options to Morph Loader Pro

More info please!  This looks useful if I think it is what it is! 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    RAMWolff said:

Added mirroring and attenuation options to Morph Loader Pro

More info please!  This looks useful if I think it is what it is! 

Daz_soon is when you're gonna get the more info. :)

All joking aside, it would be nice to know.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

Fer sure, fer sure!  ;-)~

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited May 2016

@ Install pane 

Added an Install pane; a subset of Smart Content > Products with modified defaults

A screenshot:

Update edit:

removed observations that were based on wrong assumption.

-> there are categories in the install pane as well.

I managed to collapse them in the screenshot. o_0

I wonder if new users will figure out how to select more than one product at a time.

- making selection with the mouse

- making selections with CTRL and SHIFT

- using CTRL A

New users may or may not be familiar with such techniques.

-> Why not add some smart installation buttons that make automatic selections based on some criteria?

An Install all - button might be useful for new customers who want to install everything

An Install last order - button might be useful for new and existing customers.

- - -

Trigger automatic DAZ Connect installation of last order on "Your order was successfull " page

After one has finished the purchases in the DAZ store users are redirected to this page:

There is currently no information displayed that users can install products directly inside DAZ Studio with DAZ connect.

-> Maybe a good place to post some information about the Install pane once the feature leaves Beta.

Would it be possible to add an optional feature that the items of the latest order are downloaded with DAZ Connect the next time DAZ Studio starts up?

-> Especially for new users it might be interesting if items of the last order are automatically installed.

- - -

@ DAZ Connect login

It would be great to have an option in the preferences to log in automatically whenever DAZ Studio is starting up without having to confirm login by clicking on a button each time.

- - -

Install pane left - Smart Content pane right.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 648K
    Missing information about DAZ Connect after order.jpg
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You have the categories window collapsed on the Install pane.

I believe the lack of a silent log-in option is deliberate, people need to make a concious decision to connect.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    edited May 2016

Remember that the viewport is also a pane - I added the install tab to it, to get a much larger and easier to work with view of my rather extreme amount of installable content.

install tab.jpg
    1911 x 1011 - 371K
    Post edited by namffuak on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

namffuak I never thought of it like that before. That opens up so many possibilites. Thank you for pointing that out.

edited May 2016

jestmart said:

You have the categories window collapsed on the Install pane.

Thank you! Was not even aware it is possible to do that. 

I like categories so much. I never tried to hide them in the Smart Content tab as well.. ^_-

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    Khory said:

namffuak I never thought of it like that before. That opens up so many possibilites. Thank you for pointing that out.

Setting the viewport area up as a pane was one of the really great ideas from the developers!

edited May 2016
    namffuak said:
    Khory said:

Setting the viewport area up as a pane was one of the really great ideas from the developers!

Thank you for sharing. Also did not think to use the viewport area in that way before.

Update / Edit:

Created a new custom UI for DS 4.9 with an Activity called Installation.

Activity 2 is Scene setup

Activity 3 OctaneRender

Activity 4 Iray

then some other Activities for Animation, LAMH, Dynamic Clothing, Content Editing and Various.

- - -

If anyone wants to start building their own Custom UI version based on this:

I attached a .zip with the folders user styles and user layouts and some more preview screenshots.

zipimage

- - -

1) Just drop the folders user styles and user layouts into

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build

or

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4

2) Make sure to save your own existing custom UI layout before proceeding so you can revert back if needed

3) then select the layout "20160502 lin DS 4.9" from Window - Workspace - Select Layout...

- - -

01 Installation.png
    1M
    02 Scene Setup.png
    03 OctaneRender.png
    04 Iray.png
    zip
    zip
    20160502 DS 4.9 Custom UI.zip
    3M
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I might be a bit to stupid but in DIM I can not see a new 4.9 beta version and neither in my product library.eek

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

The Beta is never in the product library, because only DIM can install two DazStudios with the same first version number (4 in this case) on the same computer.

For DIM you have to tell it to show Betas - click on the gear in the upper right corner, go to "Downloads" and check "Public Build"

I believe the lack of a silent log-in option is deliberate, people need to make a concious decision to connect.

It could be an opt-in checkbox saying you want automatic login. So the user still has the final decision.

• SyphonapteraSyphonaptera Posts: 190

@ Install pane 

Added an Install pane; a subset of Smart Content > Products with modified defaults

A screenshot:

Update edit:

removed observations that were based on wrong assumption.

-> there are categories in the install pane as well.

I managed to collapse them in the screenshot. o_0

I wonder if new users will figure out how to select more than one product at a time.

- making selection with the mouse

- making selections with CTRL and SHIFT

- using CTRL A

New users may or may not be familiar with such techniques.

-> Why not add some smart installation buttons that make automatic selections based on some criteria?

An Install all - button might be useful for new customers who want to install everything

An Install last order - button might be useful for new and existing customers.

- - -

Trigger automatic DAZ Connect installation of last order on "Your order was successfull " page

After one has finished the purchases in the DAZ store users are redirected to this page:

There is currently no information displayed that users can install products directly inside DAZ Studio with DAZ connect.

-> Maybe a good place to post some information about the Install pane once the feature leaves Beta.

Would it be possible to add an optional feature that the items of the latest order are downloaded with DAZ Connect the next time DAZ Studio starts up?

-> Especially for new users it might be interesting if items of the last order are automatically installed.

- - -

@ DAZ Connect login

It would be great to have an option in the preferences to log in automatically whenever DAZ Studio is starting up without having to confirm login by clicking on a button each time.

- - -

Dearest, why are their thumbs still in black and white? I had a problem with the general release of Daz 4.9 Pro that displayed black and white thumbs as well , even if they ALL were installed via DIM. I could not use these at all only after installing all these prods again via Daz connect which is , in my opinion, a crap issue.I also experienced too many white thumbs with exclamation mark.COuntless re-setting DB and DB maintenance did not solve this issue.

Even after installing , re-installing Daz 4.9, installing , re-installing all content 1000nds of times did not solve it. Somewhere I even noticed other prods to get the white thumbs after reimporting metadata f.e.

I hate that Daz 4.9 Pro and its Daz connect nonsense.
    Has  Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.2.44 dealt with my/these  issues ?

Cheers

Has  Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.2.44 dealt with my/these  issues ?

Cheers

Which version are you currently using - Help>About DAZ Studio?