Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.2.70! - Released - (*UPDATED*)

1234568»

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

@rbtwhiz

How come that selecting Caustics in Draw mode make the iray viewport spin smoother and faster with 3 x Titan X and on less msec than without ?

When I turn off the Caustics under Optimization the iray viewport is  choppy even at 300 msec , but fast when Caustic is on , I see the GPU usage get 60% more in total increasing the GPU  speed by 20% per card than without the caustics .When I used 2 x Titan X before Caustics only  slowed  down everything but that is not the  case with the new DS build , kinda mysterious ..

This also affect rendering speed and is much faster especially with indoor scenes than without Caustic , does the Optimization take the cards to the full performance compared to basic render setting that actually is slower in this case and less accurate .

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    MEC4D said:

@rbtwhiz

How come that selecting Caustics in Draw mode make the iray viewport spin smoother and faster with 3 x Titan X and on less msec than without ?

When I turn off the Caustics under Optimization the iray viewport is  choppy even at 300 msec , but fast when Caustic is on , I see the GPU usage get 60% more in total increasing the GPU  speed by 20% per card than without the caustics .When I used 2 x Titan X before Caustics only  slowed  down everything but that is not the  case with the new DS build , kinda mysterious ..

This also affect rendering speed and is much faster especially with indoor scenes than without Caustic , does the Optimization take the cards to the full performance compared to basic render setting that actually is slower in this case and less accurate .

Per NVIDIA the Caustics Filter and Architectural Filter are both highly scene dependent. In some cases they will give you faster renders, in others they will not. Neither are really more accurate than the base render engine, though they will resolve certain things faster as they add additional algorythims specific to their type. 

My actual testing appears to agree with NVIDIA's statement./

You mean Caustic sampler not filter .. well I know NVIDIA's statement other way I would not ask .  If the GPU increase speed calculation in my case is 60% than without Caustic sampler 

Regarding your statement about NO DIFFERENCE ..there is huge difference in light, reflections and shadows .. I invite you to read more about and make new tests as I disagree completely with your statement that is not what I read on NVIDIA;s website and documentation  , the photons acting completely different when the samplers are ON than without , base render setting shooting blind photons without order just to feel the scene with light that why indoor scene become so noisy sometimes and in some cases will not even clean up completely , Optimization samplers help the engine to better and more accurate calculation and as in my situation render faster  and by faster I mean  less iterations , cleaner better looking renders with define light and shadows not to mention Light Portals for even better result ..When I used just 1 card I did not saw much but  with almost 10K cores at 1400Mhz things get fast enough to see the differences as the render actually finish to the end with quality set on 10 and 10-15K iterations in minutes 

But coming back to my first question, I understand that the higher utilization of  the GPU while  using Caustics and lower scene depends make it render faster in viewport than without since the GPU speed up in my case 60% so that is a lot . However there is CPU utilization while rotating the scene or moving objects and the speed depends of the core clock speed so not GPU  , the GPU kick in the moment the scene is back to still , I was thinking the CPU need to send updates to the GPU but when selecting Caustics it is rather instant and that was not like that in preview builds , I don't complain just try to understand the idea behind . When I added the 3th card I was disappointed as everything slow down so I was surprised what is happening to the GPU utilization when caustic was on and everything was back to the way it should .. for that reason my question 

I would like to have a GPU Utilization level as it is in Octane so you can set it to the level you want 

Also on a different subject I was reading on Nvidia website  about hair works physics and particles and stuff and they said everything is in iray and DAZ programmers need to make the function available  in Daz Studio for that to works and not Nvidia  so just wondering if there is any chance for a new plugins in this directions in the future , just curious about

MEC4D said:

@rbtwhiz

Per NVIDIA the Caustics Filter and Architectural Filter are both highly scene dependent. In some cases they will give you faster renders, in others they will not. Neither are really more accurate than the base render engine, though they will resolve certain things faster as they add additional algorythims specific to their type. 

MEC4D said:

You mean Caustic sampler not filter .. well I know NVIDIA's statement other way I would not ask .  If the GPU increase speed calculation in my case is 60% than without Caustic sampler 

Regarding your statement about NO DIFFERENCE ..there is huge difference in light, reflections and shadows .. I invite you to read more about and make new tests as I disagree completely with your statement that is not what I read on NVIDIA;s website and documentation  , the photons acting completely different when the samplers are ON than without , base render setting shooting blind photons without order just to feel the scene with light that why indoor scene become so noisy sometimes and in some cases will not even clean up completely , Optimization samplers help the engine to better and more accurate calculation and as in my situation render faster  and by faster I mean  less iterations , cleaner better looking renders with define light and shadows not to mention Light Portals for even better result ..When I used just 1 card I did not saw much but  with almost 10K cores at 1400Mhz things get fast enough to see the differences as the render actually finish to the end with quality set on 10 and 10-15K iterations in minutes 

But coming back to my first question, I understand that the higher utilization of  the GPU while  using Caustics and lower scene depends make it render faster in viewport than without since the GPU speed up in my case 60% so that is a lot . However there is CPU utilization while rotating the scene or moving objects and the speed depends of the core clock speed so not GPU  , the GPU kick in the moment the scene is back to still , I was thinking the CPU need to send updates to the GPU but when selecting Caustics it is rather instant and that was not like that in preview builds , I don't complain just try to understand the idea behind . When I added the 3th card I was disappointed as everything slow down so I was surprised what is happening to the GPU utilization when caustic was on and everything was back to the way it should .. for that reason my question 

I would like to have a GPU Utilization level as it is in Octane so you can set it to the level you want 

Also on a different subject I was reading on Nvidia website  about hair works physics and particles and stuff and they said everything is in iray and DAZ programmers need to make the function available  in Daz Studio for that to works and not Nvidia  so just wondering if there is any chance for a new plugins in this directions in the future , just curious about

MEC4D said:

@rbtwhiz

I am not seeing your speed increase. With sampler 1 hour, 1 minute 45.95 seconds, no Sampler, 10 minutes 4.26 seconds.

Nor am I seeing a lighting difference.

NoCausticFilter.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 242K
    CausticFilter.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 242K

No you are correct.. with this scene you will not get anything better or worse .  that is not a scene for testing light paths and samplers for that you need full enclosed 3D scene plus proper light and materials setup , It is not about the speed in sec, it is about the quality and if you get for the best quality with the proper scene , base rendering will never clean the noise as it can't since the engine is "blind "' and all it do is guessing .  But with scene like that you don't have nothing the photons can bounce off so total waste of energy so optimization will not even works correctly . 

Coming back again to my first question .

I guess you did not understand my first question , as I referred to iray viewport with 3 GPUs not actual rendering in new window

with 2 GPUs everything working as before but with 3 it does not improve the viewport but slow it down unless optimization is on (Caustics ) and CPU core run at higher clock speed . As people believe and myself more GPUs will increase the speed in iray viewport but not really the case , so is that a bug ? something need improvement or what ?

In other unbiased rendering soft like Max or others that use iray more GPUs increase the speed in the real time viewports  but not here in DS. I found nothing on the internet regarding this so may be just DS related for that reason my first question to @rbtwhiz  

MEC4D said:

I am not seeing your speed increase. With sampler 1 hour, 1 minute 45.95 seconds, no Sampler, 10 minutes 4.26 seconds.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667

I still fail to see how removing the ability to bake keyframed  morphs along the timeline in FBX export is an improvement.

If by chance it is a Mimic licensing issue, not everyone uses it with Mimic, it affects not only preset animated facial poses as used by iClone users with the duf sequence but also puppeteer sequences and joint controlled morphs with animated poses.

MEC4D said:

No you are correct.. with this scene you will not get anything better or worse .  that is not a scene for testing light paths and samplers for that you need full enclosed 3D scene plus proper light and materials setup , It is not about the speed in sec, it is about the quality and if you get for the best quality with the proper scene , base rendering will never clean the noise as it can't since the engine is "blind "' and all it do is guessing .  But with scene like that you don't have nothing the photons can bounce off so total waste of energy so optimization will not even works correctly . 

I guess you did not understand my first question , as I referred to iray viewport with 3 GPUs not actual rendering in new window

with 2 GPUs everything working as before but with 3 it does not improve the viewport but slow it down unless optimization is on (Caustics ) and CPU core run at higher clock speed . As people believe and myself more GPUs will increase the speed in iray viewport but not really the case , so is that a bug ? something need improvement or what ?

In other unbiased rendering soft like Max or others that use iray more GPUs increase the speed in the real time viewports  but not here in DS. I found nothing on the internet regarding this so may be just DS related for that reason my first question to @rbtwhiz  

MEC4D said:

Yes I know when to use the different samplers. :) That was a scene I could render in a reasonable amount of time on the system I was in front of with a single GTX 980Ti. My system with 2 Quadros was busy doing something else. Like I said it is highly scene dependent. The 4.8 splash screen was rendered in the environment you just mentioned, on a system with a Pair of K6000s with and without the Caustic sampler. (Granted this was an earlier version of the 2015 Iray Render engine.) There was no discernable difference in the final result, but it was a couple of hours vs. overnight. 

There are scenarios where it could be faster to use the Caustic sampler, mostly when you are specifically looking at the caustics, but as a general rule it is not faster. 

Best case scenario, if you have 3GPU installed and working, unless you have a ASUS x99WS motherboard and no other pcie lanes in use, then the third card is a x8 not a x16 so will load things slower. Boards other than X99, or even X99 boards with an older processor, will not give you that much performance on your PCIe lanes. There will be a delay as each card is loaded with the scene. More delay with each card used and cards with slower connections will take longer than those with faster connections. Once the cards are loaded, while the addition of cards is not linear, it is close to linear, so you should see almost three times the speed with 3 of the same card as you do with one of them. (Again scene dependent, the more complex the scene, and the longer it takes to render, the better the speed increase will be.) This will be the same with a Render as it will be in the viewport. 

I see no reason that having the Caustic Sampler on could or should change that. It does make the render more complex, so compared to the same render with the same sampler the additional card can give you a bigger boost.  

Having said that I do not have a machine with 3 cards. I have machines with no cards, one card and 2 cards (and it is a mix of Quadro, GeForce and mobile GeForce Cards). I have indirect access to some with 8, but nothing in between. I could probably do some reconfiguring by temporarily borrowing a card or two to get a machine with 3 cards, but unless it is causing serious issues, for me to do that would prevent someone else from doing work while I look at it. 

If it is causing serious issues, please file a ticket, and please be detailed on steps to reproduce, and please  include scene files with lists of what is in them so I can reproduce it in a reasonable amount of time. 

There little to none difference with 16x or 8x unless you play a super game but since SLI is not in action here it really no matter as the rendering time is the same as I tested it all already, I use X99 with i75960X with 40 Lanes and 64GB memory and I build my PC myself for the last 18 years , but that have nothing to do with here since how you explain that turning caustic on while in the viewport make the screen rotate so much faster than without . The only thing different I see is the utilization of the GPU that jump on and mysterious utilize everything to max, maybe it is  how iray engine works . When you rotate the viewport there is not rendering  happening unless you stop so that is about ( while rotating the camera in iray viewport ) and all I see is the higher Utilization of CPU cores updating the GPUs

no matter you have one box in the scene or 50 genesis 

and since you have not the same system and the same cards you can't recreare it I guess , maybe I will make vidwo for you 

But what you can do to see if anything pop up is

load simole cube with sky and sun , add as much GPU you have in your system , set the draw mode to 100 msec and select all GPUs only , then try rotate and see the difference when  caustic is on or without , but as I said with 2 cards it does not make any difference , you need more than 3 and good CPU , it is also not PCI-e issue as I can switch the GPU and the same things happening , I know my rig and what it can or not .

I don't have this issue with any other GPU rendering engine , it started when the pixel resolution was added , of course I can use the 1/2 pixel resolution and forget about the issue and skip the Normal mode , but I hate the black blinking when it switch to rendering and I have to change the msec to 300 to get rid of the blink and that drag things out again so at the end the same thing 

so actually what I am doing is using just 2 cards while working with iray viewport 

and btw since my CPU has 8 cores 16 threads and run at 4.9 Ghz , the viewport turns smoother just on CPU than with 3 GPU , something there is blocking the last GPU usage and Caustic unblock it mysterious way .

Not really huge deal , but maybe worth attention and investigation

I have couple friends that have issues with the iray viewport and multiple cards as well 

again there are no issues with final rendering , just while rotating the viewport camera or move objects , I may talk to Nvidia iray programmers today and see what they say about , but not expecting more as I already know since base rendering utilize the GPU only 80% compared to 100% when using samplers .

MEC4D said:

MEC4D said:

Yes I know when to use the different samplers. :) That was a scene I could render in a reasonable amount of time on the system I was in front of with a single GTX 980Ti. My system with 2 Quadros was busy doing something else. Like I said it is highly scene dependent. The 4.8 splash screen was rendered in the environment you just mentioned, on a system with a Pair of K6000s with and without the Caustic sampler. (Granted this was an earlier version of the 2015 Iray Render engine.) There was no discernable difference in the final result, but it was a couple of hours vs. overnight. 

There are scenarios where it could be faster to use the Caustic sampler, mostly when you are specifically looking at the caustics, but as a general rule it is not faster. 

Best case scenario, if you have 3GPU installed and working, unless you have a ASUS x99WS motherboard and no other pcie lanes in use, then the third card is a x8 not a x16 so will load things slower. Boards other than X99, or even X99 boards with an older processor, will not give you that much performance on your PCIe lanes. There will be a delay as each card is loaded with the scene. More delay with each card used and cards with slower connections will take longer than those with faster connections. Once the cards are loaded, while the addition of cards is not linear, it is close to linear, so you should see almost three times the speed with 3 of the same card as you do with one of them. (Again scene dependent, the more complex the scene, and the longer it takes to render, the better the speed increase will be.) This will be the same with a Render as it will be in the viewport. 

I see no reason that having the Caustic Sampler on could or should change that. It does make the render more complex, so compared to the same render with the same sampler the additional card can give you a bigger boost.  

Having said that I do not have a machine with 3 cards. I have machines with no cards, one card and 2 cards (and it is a mix of Quadro, GeForce and mobile GeForce Cards). I have indirect access to some with 8, but nothing in between. I could probably do some reconfiguring by temporarily borrowing a card or two to get a machine with 3 cards, but unless it is causing serious issues, for me to do that would prevent someone else from doing work while I look at it. 

If it is causing serious issues, please file a ticket, and please be detailed on steps to reproduce, and please  include scene files with lists of what is in them so I can reproduce it in a reasonable amount of time. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812

You should file a bug ticket,

@DAZ_Spooky

here is video for you , it is unlisted , I am going to remove it after you see it 

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I have a simple question and I am NOT any kind of techie person.

I just noticed in DS4.9 latest release that I only have 2 options under Render Mode.....Photoreal and Interactive.  Yet when looking at online documentation, I see 4 options.  The other 2 are 'Blend Photoreal to Render Settings' and 'Blend Interactive to Render Settings'.   Why don't those show for me?  Is it because my Nvidia card is 2 years old and less powerful?  Below are my specs, and thanks for any help.

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz
    32GB Ram (31.91GB usable)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (192 bit)
    version 368.81 (release date 07/14/2016)

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

The other option are under DRAW style tab not under Render mode, render mode has only 2 options , Draw style have also 2 extra blend option and other functions for the iray viewport

sapat said:

I just noticed in DS4.9 latest release that I only have 2 options under Render Mode.....Photoreal and Interactive.  Yet when looking at online documentation, I see 4 options.  The other 2 are 'Blend Photoreal to Render Settings' and 'Blend Interactive to Render Settings'.   Why don't those show for me?  Is it because my Nvidia card is 2 years old and less powerful?  Below are my specs, and thanks for any help.

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    MEC4D said:

The other option are under DRAW style tab not under Render mode, render mode has only 2 options , Draw style have also 2 extra blend option and other functions for the iray viewport

sapat said:

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

Is there any written guidance on how to set the draw style options for Iray?

My Iray viewport is extremely slow to update when I move any body part or dial a morph. Surface setting changes update pretty quickly. I only have one graphics card (980Ti) and it runs both Iray and the monitor. It seems like the viewport used to be faster in previous DS versions, so I'm guessing my settings are not optimum for my situation. I have it set to photoreal, because of the issues with interactive using way to much GPU RAM and never releasing it.

edited July 2016

The moment you move body parts or slide up the morph your CPU take over this job and sending the updates to your card  that why you experience slow down , it is not your card and even if you have 4 of them it will be even slower .. that why I upgraded my CPU so it can handle it faster with my 4 cards, , and how faster is your CPU core how less delay you will experience while working with iray and there is nothing we can do to speed the delays up as it all have to do with your System in general .

P.S you can increase the msec under the Draw Style tab , it will help you with posing or moving objects or light in the scene but will not speed up with loading morphs or new objects into the scene

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

sapat said:

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

My Iray viewport is extremely slow to update when I move any body part or dial a morph. Surface setting changes update pretty quickly. I only have one graphics card (980Ti) and it runs both Iray and the monitor. It seems like the viewport used to be faster in previous DS versions, so I'm guessing my settings are not optimum for my situation. I have it set to photoreal, because of the issues with interactive using way to much GPU RAM and never releasing it.

Post edited by MEC4D on
    MEC4D said:

The moment you move body parts or slide up the morph your CPU take over this job and sending the updates to your card  that why you experience slow down , it is not your card and even if you have 4 of them it will be even slower .. that why I upgraded my CPU so it can handle it faster with my 4 cards, , and how faster is your CPU core how less delay you will experience while working with iray and there is nothing we can do to speed the delays up as it all have to do with your System in general .

P.S you can increase the msec under the Draw Style tab , it will help you with posing or moving objects or light in the scene but will not speed up with loading morphs or new objects into the scene

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

sapat said:

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

Thanks, that info is helpful. My msec was on default 100. I'll try 300.

Should I have Inactive Viewport Delay On or Off? I have no idea what it is for. I have it on the default On. Draw Node Avatars??? Again, no clue. It is On.

My Manipulation Resolution is 1/4. I do see how that works when I rotate the scene.

if you use Manipulation Resolution at 1/4 the msec my not play big difference when adding objects to the scene , I use 100 with 2 Titans X and MR on Normal , with 4 cards I use 0 to 50 msec deoends of the scene with 1 card around 360 msec MR on Nornal or 1/2 so I can move easy objects and light 

but if I overlock my CPU cores the magic start and the all delays become shorter , I wish we have Realtime iray viewport in place of the curenlty OpenGl , things would be so much esier or at last working Interactive mode that does not consume the vram where you can set off the AO and have it as fast as almost Realtime mode so you can see iray materials and light , DAZ should make Deluxe version with iray only lol 

Viewport delay I think it is when you using blending between internactive with Photoreal , as I see no difference when using just Photoreal mode , as you I am avoid Interactive mode due to the memory issues 

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

sapat said:

Win8.1 64 bit
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

DS4.9.2.70 Pro 64 bit

Thanks, that info is helpful. My msec was on default 100. I'll try 300.

Should I have Inactive Viewport Delay On or Off? I have no idea what it is for. I have it on the default On. Draw Node Avatars??? Again, no clue. It is On.

My Manipulation Resolution is 1/4. I do see how that works when I rotate the scene.

Thank you again. You are always helpful!

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    MEC4D said:

Wow, they sure like hiding options.  Could it be any more covert?  Thanks, I just now found it.  Appears there's a lot more to it than meets the eye, so not sure I want to go there yet.  But at least now I know where it is. laugh

I saw it one year ago on DAZ Vincent tutorial about shaders LOL  and was curious what it is all about with the tab, I open it and saw nothing the same , then when iray viewport was on the tab changed and new values show up  .. well it improve the speed / rotation / move objects in your iray viewport ..  regarding your GPU power  so things can be adjusted to match better performance especially the msec , and pixel resolution . It is since then my General important Tab above Rendering Settings .

curiosity is the next step to knowledge .. ;)

sapat said:
    MEC4D said:

Wow, they sure like hiding options.  Could it be any more covert?  Thanks, I just now found it.  Appears there's a lot more to it than meets the eye, so not sure I want to go there yet.  But at least now I know where it is. laugh

You welcome , my pleasure ..happy to help a little 

barbult said:

Thank you again. You are always helpful!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    MEC4D said:

I wish we have Realtime iray viewport in place of the curenlty OpenGl , things would be so much esier or at last working Interactive mode that does not consume the vram where you can set off the AO and have it as fast as almost Realtime mode so you can see iray materials and light , DAZ should make Deluxe version with iray only lol 

YES YES YES I WANT THAT TOO!!! 

Do I sound excited enough? cheeky

I'm surprise iRay realtime is not in Daz Studio. Would be a nice way to ease into game engine style workflow...!

Totally agree  , I would be already happy if the Interactive mode working 100% , you could make a lot of work and faster

Mythmaker said:
    MEC4D said:

YES YES YES I WANT THAT TOO!!! 

Do I sound excited enough? cheeky

I'm surprise iRay realtime is not in Daz Studio. Would be a nice way to ease into game engine style workflow...!