Reality 4.2 ~ Learn It ~ Chat With Paolo ~ WIPS ~ Renders Showcase!

Comments

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661

To save an Automatic Preset highight the materials and right-click on them. Then select "Save as Automatic Preset". More details in the RUG, plus there are a couple of videos that I made that show sthe whole process. See our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PretA3D

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

One thing about Linear that I love is the "estimate settings" (hope that's right, don't have it in front of me.) For people who don't have Reality yet, that will give you what Reality suggests so the scene renders with good lighting. You tweak from there but it's a good starting point. (I don't like really high ISOs so I lower that and do Shutter Speed, etc to compensate.) 

Novica said:

I set up a scene in D.S (Daz Studio.) 

I call up Reality (for people who haven't gotten Reality, you install it, then it's right there in the Render option. Easy!) Okay, I fiddle with materials or whatever I want to do.  Then I click Render Frame IN REALITY and L.R. (LuxRender) opens in a new window.  NOW... if I want to tweak things, my options include pausing or stopping the render. IF I change something in the studio, I need to completely stop the render, correct? Go to the studio, tweak, and go back to Reality?

That is correct.

Novica said:

Second question- I have a render going that is fine. (In L.R.) Do I go back to the studio and click Reality again to open a second window of it?  (Because when I hit Render Frame, I am assuming a second render will start?)

That is correct too. I often do that. I start one render and let it go for a while. Then I stop it so that it does not drain the CPU. Then I start a new render and compare the two versions.

Trying to keep up with the questions starts feeling like a workout :)

pciccone said:

LOL. Wonder how many calories we've burned so far?

pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Second question- I have a render going that is fine. (In L.R.) Do I go back to the studio and click Reality again to open a second window of it?  (Because when I hit Render Frame, I am assuming a second render will start?)

That is correct too. I often do that. I start one render and let it go for a while. Then I stop it so that it does not drain the CPU. Then I start a new render and compare the two versions.

Remember, I am SO not technical. I think I read somewhere that the renders depend on your CUDA Cores? If I have six, should I only have 6 or less LuxRenders going? I may be totally wrong on this. 

Speaking of Cores (seque anyone?)  I read about the "keep UI Responsive When Rendering"  setting. It leaves 10% of cores available and the UI (User Interface) stays more responsive. Is that noticeable in your opinion?

Novica said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Remember, I am SO not technical. I think I read somewhere that the renders depend on your CUDA Cores? If I have six, should I only have 6 or less LuxRenders going? I may be totally wrong on this. 

It depends. I was not referring to GPU rendering. If you use the CPU then the GPU does not matter. For any discussion about LuxRender CUDA is not relevant. We use OpenCL, which is not CUDA. nVidia implements OpenCL on top of CUDA but that is *their* choice. On AMD or Intel harware CUDA does not exist. Never think that CUDA is the underlying technology. For Lux there is no CUDA, only OpenCL.

Cheers.

Novica said:
    pciccone said:

LOL. Wonder how many calories we've burned so far?

I whish there was a way of knowing :) I'm here blasting some Withing Temptation and reading the questions as fast as I can.

Novica said:

Speaking of Cores (seque anyone?)  I read about the "keep UI Responsive When Rendering"  setting. It leaves 10% of cores available and the UI (User Interface) stays more responsive. Is that noticeable in your opinion?

It can be. That's why it was added. It depends on your system. The only wauy to know is to try :)

• This is found on the top right corner above where the images is displayed.

Can you explain what these mean?

What are the optimal settings?

9.jpg
    426 x 44 - 9K
    edited February 2016
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

It depends. I was not referring to GPU rendering. If you use the CPU then the GPU does not matter. For any discussion about LuxRender CUDA is not relevant. We use OpenCL, which is not CUDA. nVidia implements OpenCL on top of CUDA but that is *their* choice. On AMD or Intel harware CUDA does not exist. Never think that CUDA is the underlying technology. For Lux there is no CUDA, only OpenCL.

Cheers.

Okay, here's another question. In the RUG, you mentioned not to start out with OpenCL. Did you mean start completely over, or switch after rendering awhile?

If it's the second one, is there a suggested timeframe for when someone might want to switch over to that, and how do you do it? This is a biggie question for me, where I as a new user am confused- can I go back into Reality and make changes while the render is paused, make changes, then resume in L.R?  If not, how would someone switch over to OpenCL when that setting is in Reality? Wouldn't they be starting all over?

Post edited by Novica on
  • pciccone said:
    Novica said:

It can be. That's why it was added. It depends on your system. The only wauy to know is to try :)

Before I upgraded to my new video card I used it all the time. Now I don't need to.  It is worth testing out.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2016

In concluding no need for expensive graphics card to use Lux with reality. This seems to be only an IRay thing.   I did do a small render on my Laptop  2 spheres and surface plane with no background. I believe it has an Nvidia card but not a big one. The pc itself has 16 Gb of ram though. I was experimenting with the difference between an iray render and a 3delight. No reality and luxrender. I hope to put that on my pc when I get done with it. I don't want to put too much on the laptop. lol

Post edited by Liana on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I am struggling to figure out how to apply materials.  Something in my brain is just not making the connection.  i am used to just picking a material shader or preset  or putting a jpg in the right slot.  Not sure how it works in Reality

I've read the materials and think i have it figured out and then...not so much.

Novica said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Okay, here's another question. In the RUG, you mentioned not to start out with OpenCL. Did you mean start completely over, or switch after renderingt awhile?

If it's the second one, is there a suggested timeframe for when someone might want to switch over to that, and how do you do it? This is a biggie question for me, where I as a new user am confused- can I go back into Reality and make changes while the render is paused, make changes, then resume in L.R?  If not, how would someone switch over to OpenCL when that setting is in Reality? Wouldn't they be starting all over?

You cannot switch to OCl while the render is running in the CPU. You need to start over. What I meant is that GPU rendering is tought and frought with issues. That is the case with all renderers. For example, Octane only works with a very restricted set of GPUs. 

Since PBR uses a different approach than biased renderers I wanted to make sure that the new user is not overwhelmed with issues like memory exhaustion and texture distortion, typical issues of GPU rendering, on top of learning a new system.

Hope this helps.

This is found on the top right corner above where the images is displayed.

There are two values there, one is the interval, in seconds, after which the image is automatically saved to disk. The other is the interval in seconds of the screen refresh. A screen refrsh means that the progress for image rendered is shown in the window.

Hope this helps.

• pciccone said:

This is found on the top right corner above where the images is displayed.

There are two values there, one is the interval, in seconds, after which the image is automatically saved to disk. The other is the interval in seconds of the screen refresh. A screen refrsh means that the progress for image rendered is shown in the window.

Hope this helps.

Yes.. Are there optimal settings that could be used. I know you can change them.

Doesn't refreshing to show the progress slow down the render process? 

Also there are preset materials but I am not sure what those apply to

I am struggling to figure out how to apply materials.  Something in my brain is just not making the connection.  i am used to just picking a material shader or preset  or putting a jpg in the right slot.  Not sure how it works in Reality

We are talking about two different things here. One is the material and the other is the texture. A material is made of several "channels", each channel generally having one or more texture. In Reality a texture is not just an image. There are 14 types of textures. Color, Image Map, Bricks and other types are all types of textures that can be used. 

Reality materials are actually much simpler than the ones in Studio. Look at the Surfaces tab for any Studio material and then look at the equivalent in Reality. The Reality version has fewer components. 

What you refer to as material presets. In Reality you are supposed to edit the materials yourself, because it is actually possible. For example, if you want to change a material to glass, you simply right-click on it and select "to Glass". No need to search for a preset. It's all there.

:)

If you can propose a specific example I will gladly show you how to do it.

Well, let's look at a couple specifically that I've noted. Glass- for Dispersion, the RUG (down to the point I read) didn't give specifics on Cauchy Coefficient or Clarity of Depth so far as working together. It's for Volumetric and Standard Glass. How does Cauchy work with Clarity? What is Cauchy? (Clarity of Depth is the light going in and the more volume, the more light gets absorbed.) I somehow missed Cauchy. (What a name!) 

Novica said:

Doesn't refreshing to show the progress slow down the render process? 

Yes, but that might not be a concern. How many milliseconds are we talking about? Is that a real concern? I would say that 600 seconds for writing to disk is good and 15 seconds for the refresh is also usable. If you are rendering overnight you might want to increase the refresh rate way up because you are not going to be at the screen watching the progress.

Liana said:

In concluding no need for expensive graphics card to use Lux with reality. This seems to be only an IRay thing.   I did do a small render on my Laptop  2 spheres and surface plane with no background. I believe it has an Nvidia card but not a big one. The pc itself has 16 Gb of ram though. I was experimenting with the difference between an iray render and a 3delight. No reality and luxrender. I hope to put that on my pc when I get done with it. I don't want to put too much on the laptop. lol

A GPU can significantly speed up your rendering but it's not requires with Reality/Lux.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2016

pciccone said:

We are talking about two different things here. One is the material and the other is the texture. A material is made of several "channels", each channel generally having one or more texture. In Reality a texture is not just an image. There are 14 types of textures. Color, Image Map, Bricks and other types are all types of textures that can be used. 

Reality materials are actually much simpler than the ones in Studio. Look at the Surfaces tab for any Studio material and then look at the equivalent in Reality. The Reality version has fewer components. 

What you refer to as material presets. In Reality you are supposed to edit the materials yourself, because it is actually possible. For example, if you want to change a material to glass, you simply right-click on it and select "to Glass". No need to search for a preset. It's all there.

:)

The bolded part here is what peaked my interest in the promo page. I look at daz's list of things and then any presets for metal, glass, etc. This was my main reason for my experiment today. Looking to find out the difference between setting things up yourself with a texture or using presets. I was not sold on presets myself, which will save me cash in the end.  Thank you answering questions and giving us insight on your thinking when creating Reality. :)

Post edited by Liana on
    Novica said:

Well, let's look at a couple specifically that I've noted. Glass- for Dispersion, the RUG (down to the point I read) didn't give specifics on Cauchy Coefficient or Clarity of Depth so far as working together. It's for Volumetric and Standard Glass. How does Cauchy work with Clarity? What is Cauchy? (Clarity of Depth is the light going in and the more volume, the more light gets absorbed.) I somehow missed Cauchy. (What a name!) 

I would say that the Glass material has a lot of great stuff without getting into the Cauchy part, which is related to the creation of caustics. If you want to learn about it, there is a rather good page at LuxRender: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Creating_Beautiful_Caustics

Cheers.

Liana said:

pciccone said:

The bolded part here is what peaked my interest in he promo page. I look at daz's list of things and then any presets for metal, glass, etc. This was my main reason for my experiment today. Looking to find out the difference between setting things up yourself with a texture or using presets. I was sold on presets myself, whic hwill save me cash in the end.  Thank you answering questions and giving us insight on your thinking when creating Reality. :)

My pleasure!